PDA

View Full Version : to hoodscoop or not to hoodscoop, that is the question!

DTR
11-14-2003, 10:14 AM
what do ou guys think about a hoodscoop on our cars. now befor you start ranting and s**t hear me out. why does the WRX have a hoodscoop, because of the cooler and where its located. now taking that into consideration i never understood why older civics had a hoodscoop since the SRI were located by the headlight(thus the solution of removing the headlight for the track) now with that in mind notice where our SRI would sit, now i know its not dead center but wouldnt the hoodscoop aid in the SRI getting cooler air, thus giving it a "ram-air" effect, cus i know some company in Japan or the UK have something like this but theyre concept is like the mugen box with an extension that pokes out behind the hood by the windshield wiper, giving it the same rame-air effect. i dont know, just my $.02, I think it would look rather nice as well. what do you guys think.

sniperSI
11-14-2003, 10:22 AM
If I had the money, I would of put my stock air box back in, cut the hood over the box, put some kind of seal between it and the air box and scoop it, it would be like ram air right into your air box. I think it's a great idea and if you can implement it go for it.

Civicvtec1ps
11-14-2003, 10:23 AM
I personally dont like look of hoodscoop on our cars but check out k style cf hood
http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22613

k20hatch
11-14-2003, 10:27 AM
This should probley be in Aerodynamics (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=9) ...But if i were to do a hood scoup i would just call up showstoppers and get me a k style carbon fiber hood! ;) Thats just my opinion! Carry on...

BlasTech
11-14-2003, 10:29 AM
The first matter is testing the air pressure on the hood. Often, its surprisingly low, depending on the design of the car... in that case, some would opt to use the hood for venting heat instead of taking in air.

Personally, I have an scoop-like input to the stock airbox that gets its air from just above the Si on the front grille. There is a definite low-end torque and throttle increase from doing this...and probably a high end gain as well.

SiR Medic
11-14-2003, 10:33 AM
If your really worried about cold air... Get a Cold Air Intake.

The hood scoop on a Scooby is for the intercooler, not the intake. Cooling air on a turbo engine has more substantial benefits then on a naturaly asperated one.

As far as a "RAM AIR" effect, the now dead Trans Am's "Ram Air" intake was good for about 2 extra HP at 100mph... Not really a beneficial gain.

I've always prefered hood vents. They work just as well, if not better for cooling your whole engine bay. They also look a lot more subtle. Think Lancer EVO instead of WRX STi.

sniperSI
11-14-2003, 10:51 AM
I look at it like this though,

If i have CAI (which I do) I feel a good gain over the stock setup. and that is running a pipe all the way thru 2 bends and about 4 feet that is just pulling ambient air really.

What if i had cold air rushing down into the box. Ram air didnt die on trans am , just the name. Many of the top dollar exotic/race cars have some kind of scoope running from the front of the car all the way to the back as to ram air into the intake pipe. Look at the s2000 after market intakes, runs on the same theory.

someone give me a welding tourch and some abs plastic stat!

VividFL EP
11-14-2003, 11:11 AM
Also, look at the new Mach I Mustang, that is basically a ram air setup. I think that it would look good, but I would probablly go with the k style carbon fiber hood.

DTR
11-14-2003, 12:16 PM
i really aint diggin that hood, i was thinkin of something more like the scooby hood scoop, kinda like this one. ive seen a scoop like that one on a 96-00 Ferio and it looked nice, u guys get me?

andy
11-14-2003, 12:57 PM
DTR, you must have the most low-res pics ever. hahaha, j/p.

I really dislike the K-style hood and I *think* that the gains you'd
get from just "ramming" air into the intake via a hood scoop are
probably fairly minimal, compared to a cold air/high flow intake filter. A DIY, as others have done and mentioned here, is also probably
just as good.

I do like the look/idea of "venting" via hood slits/openings. I think
the Mugen hood has this (I could have the wrong one) and this was also
something the Impreza 2.5RS implemented, along with a essentially
defunct hood scoop (the USDM Impreza was not turbo'd from the factory).

Here's a pic:

http://homepage2.nifty.com/kyonta/images/impreza.jpg

(well, except that's a JDM STi...but you get the idea. ;) )

DTR
11-14-2003, 01:34 PM
yea i know, i still havent gottin the hang of posting pics up @ high res. im workin on it, but thats what im refering to, the idea of having the air introduced to the airbox or filter thru both the top(hood scoop) and the bottom(OEM box or a mugen box, etc)

BlasTech
11-14-2003, 02:08 PM
Well, while we're getting scientifical, I'll show you my In-tech product... a ghetto-made scoop that REALLY DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE ... I took it off for a week and suffered!

the ram:
http://www.dmcknight.net/forumpics/airram1.jpg

Installed where the old "elbow snorkel" goes, and wrapped in heat shield:
http://www.dmcknight.net/forumpics/airram2.jpg

Total cost= $10 + a few hours of casual labor.

The relationshiip between intakes and temperatures and air PRESSUREs is explored here: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0629

Zero Three Si
11-17-2003, 11:53 AM
I don't think there is a need for a scoop on the EP unless you go Turbo.

hypnoj
11-20-2003, 04:22 PM
either way, a scoop would be good for our cars. I want one purely because it gets so hot in the engine compartment. I have an insulated sri that gets hot after continuous use, and I felt my buddies CAI that was very hot after he drove for a while. What good is a CAI if the pipe leading back to the engine is heating all the air that flows through it? I'm not saying that having a CAI is a waste, but having an air ram that allows heat to flow out, and at highway speeds, cool air to flow in can only help the situation. I'm all for it.