PDA

View Full Version : AEM V2 - first impressions

chibianh
11-17-2003, 05:33 PM
Well, my V2 intake came in today and I installed it right after I got home from school. This is my first non-stock intake ever so I have nothing to compare it to but the stock intake. Installation was pretty simple (that's saying a lot coming from a newb). I didn't exactly follow the instructions from the manual, but I'm pretty sure not everyone here does either. After installation, I took it out for a spin and believe you me, there was a significant difference. When i started the engine, the tone was a bit deeper and throatier. It wasn't a significantly different from stock, but still noticeable. I took it around the block and noticed it pulled harder than stock. Again, the slight throatiness was there. At around 3000rpms, it got louder.. in a cool way. I took it out onto the main streets and ran it to red line.. and it screamed!! It definitely pulled stronger throughout the entire rpm range as far as I can tell. All in all, I'm very happy with this mod. Was it worth the $210 i payed? I think so. Is it better than the CAIs or the SRIs from injen or aem? I dunno, have had neither to compare to. I must say though, I like it! :P Here's some pics.

contents of the box
http://homepage.mac.com/chibianh/.Pictures/contents.jpg
instruction manual
http://homepage.mac.com/chibianh/.Pictures/manual.jpg
engine bay without stock intake
http://homepage.mac.com/chibianh/.Pictures/before.jpg
engine bay with the V2
http://homepage.mac.com/chibianh/.Pictures/after.jpg
notice the extreme curvature up by the filter. are other SRIs like that?

klubhedsi
11-17-2003, 06:09 PM
the aem cai screams 2 just installed it. but this one at least fills up the hole left by removing the stock airbox, unlike the cai!

rs_1101
11-17-2003, 06:20 PM
naw the filter placement is interesting.

i wish these stupid domestic intake compainies would just give up on this "harnessing the resonance" trip and just put a friggin resonator in their intakes so we dont get such unpredictable power.

SiR_d1
11-17-2003, 06:31 PM
I am just glad to see someone finally got it. Now hopefully someone who started with a SRI could do a comparison with V2

chibianh
11-17-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by SiR_d1
I am just glad to see someone finally got it. Now hopefully someone who started with a SRI could do a comparison with V2

yeah.. i got tired of waiting for someone else so i thought what the hell.. i've been looking at some pics of other engine bays with SRIs. When installing the V2, I had to remove the mounting bracket that holds up the stock air box, otherwise the filter wouldn't fit. For the SRI owners out there, did you have to remove that bracket also?

JapanExpress
11-17-2003, 06:38 PM
have any way of posting sound clips? and where did you find it for $210?

Mighty_Mouse
11-17-2003, 07:21 PM
Wow. Funk dat! Talk about sucking in some hot underhood air. I guess that there wasn't room to do it correctly in the EP3.

team ERA 5
11-17-2003, 08:03 PM
niceee v2....

is it carb legal?

Brettnyt
11-17-2003, 08:31 PM
It should be carb legal... either that or pending... Looks great under the hood! I would love to see some number comparisons vs normal AEM CAI... I think I will stick with the normal CAI...

DavidT
11-17-2003, 08:58 PM
I'm glad somebody finally got a V2..and with good results. Now you just gotta throw your car on a dyno and get us some good numbers cause AEM took their dyno charts down.

chibianh
11-17-2003, 09:22 PM
JapanExpress: I'll get some sound clips this weekend, or when I have time.

team ERA 5: I don't know the answer to your carb question. I think Brettnyt might be right though.

DavidT: I'll see if I can dyno my car sometime. How much is it, usually? I've never done it before.

1fastminivan
11-17-2003, 09:41 PM
nice!.............can you post a pic of the engine bay looking down on it near the intake are where the filter is? :D

SiR_d1
11-17-2003, 09:49 PM
where did you get it for $210?

chibianh
11-17-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by 1fastminivan
nice!.............can you post a pic of the engine bay looking down on it near the intake are where the filter is? :D

u wanted these views?
http://homepage.mac.com/chibianh/.Pictures/top1.jpg http://homepage.mac.com/chibianh/.Pictures/top2.jpg

As for where I got it for $210, eBay! where else? ;)

Driftin SI
11-17-2003, 10:15 PM
Hmmm, filter position is almost indentical to that of the SRI. Only real different here is tubing size. Curious as to what the difference is in performance.

http://homepage.mac.com/chibianh/.Pictures/after.jpg

http://chicagovw.org/memb_cars/cars/non%20VAG/Conrad/engine.JPG

Mighty_Mouse
11-17-2003, 10:57 PM
Who cares about dyno results with SRIs? The real test is the 1/4. Dynos show SRIs with small gains because of open hoods and fans, the 1/4 is the real test with the hood closed and breathing hot underhood air.

MCeez02Si
11-17-2003, 11:02 PM
I definitely like the way it looks. I will certainly be looking out for the dyno #'s. I am still curious about whether or not the tubing diameter of an SRI is relevant to performance. I currently have the AEM SRI (2.5" diameter), but am a little tempted to get the INJEN SRI (3" diameter). Hmmmm...

chibianh
11-17-2003, 11:07 PM
Driftin Si: I believe that on the V2, the filter sits slightly lower than the AEM SRI. Like I stated earlier, the mounting bracket for the stock airbox had to be removed in order for the filter to fit. In your picture, I see the mounting bracket still there with some distance between the filter and the bracket. Just a slight observation.

STP03BlueSI
11-18-2003, 07:25 AM
Are you talkin about that metal bracket that is on the top of the tranny>

Driftin SI
11-18-2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by STP03BlueSI
Are you talkin about that metal bracket that is on the top of the tranny>

Yup, thats the one. Wish I was rich, I'de run out and get a V2 and dyno them back to back :(

chibianh
11-18-2003, 07:44 AM
if ur ever in denver, i'll gladly lend u my v2 :P

anyway, for roughly the same price as a CAI, i got a V2. Why? because I didn't wanna run the risk of hydrolocking (i know, i'm paranoid). So, for the same performance as a CAI (supposedly, probably not), I don't have to worry about water getting into my intake, easier installation, and easier replacement of filter. That's how I justified buying it. As for the performance argument, guess I'll have to get together with someone around here with a SRI or CAI and compare and dyno.

Tenacious G
11-19-2003, 01:12 PM
i agree with Mighty Mouse. the real test will come in the summer months when temps will soar under the hood. when it's cold like it is now, you will obviously see/feel better performance because you've gotten rid of the restrictive stock air box and put on a more free-flowing intake. however, once the ambient air temps start rising, it will be interesting to see what kind of gains you'll see.

it'd be good if someone could compare air intake temps of the V2 vs. the stock airbox.

JapanExpress
11-19-2003, 01:27 PM
Here's some info from AEM on their take on the air temp question:
[QUOTE]V2 systems are developed to produce maximum power. This does not always mean that the V2 will be a long runner configuration. AEM performs extensive R&D for every application (including V2 systems), both with respect to length tuning and inlet temperature testing. We will always manufacture the best performing product, regardless of its configuration and what the industry generally accepts as a

chibianh
11-19-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Tenacious G
i agree with Mighty Mouse. the real test will come in the summer months when temps will soar under the hood. when it's cold like it is now, you will obviously see/feel better performance because you've gotten rid of the restrictive stock air box and put on a more free-flowing intake. however, once the ambient air temps start rising, it will be interesting to see what kind of gains you'll see.

it'd be good if someone could compare air intake temps of the V2 vs. the stock airbox.

i'm anxious to check it out myself when summer comes. It got a bit warm today (70s) and the car still screams and pulls. If you want, next time i drive to or from school/work (about 25 minutes), i'll check the temp around the intake right afterwards. if u check out the V2 Q&A over at clubrsx (the thread is over 15 pages), there's an aem engineer answering questions and with rsx owners posting results and temperatures, as well as the usual cold air argument. Interesting read.. I had read that whole thread before deciding to get the V2, btw.

if ur interested, THREAD I (http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92887) THREAD II (http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?threadid=82627&perpage=25&pagenumber=1) and PART III (http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?threadid=90624)

If you're really interested, all three threads are a good read. They contain detailed explanations of how/why things work as well as dyno charts from the owners. Some of the RSX owners with the V2 has had them since before summer and so far, those who have them have been happy with them. As for myself, so far, I am happy.

here's a snippet from one of the threads:

"Hello,
My name is Jonathan Gleason and I am the engineer responsible for the development of the RSX V2 kit. I have been following everyone

DarkHatch
11-19-2003, 06:23 PM
Who did you get your V2 intake from? I want one!!!!

SIbeau
11-19-2003, 06:40 PM
I think it looks great. If only the price wasn't so high.

chibianh
11-19-2003, 08:24 PM
i got it on ebay for $214.

BluePearl03Si
11-19-2003, 10:02 PM
If you think about it, the position makes sense, with air comming up from below which is cooler.

Also the risk of hydrolock is gone, which is a concern for a daily driver due to the lack of an Air Bypass Valve on the AEM CAI.

If they had the bypass valve I'd prolly go for the Cold Air, but it's a risk I'm not gonna take in rainy Washington.

A good buy for sure.

Mighty_Mouse
11-20-2003, 12:10 PM
$214 on Ebay plus $20 shipping or $246 shipped from Cox with the coupon code.

chibianh
11-20-2003, 12:16 PM
what coupon code?

ep3si02
11-20-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by MCeez02Si
I definitely like the way it looks. I will certainly be looking out for the dyno #'s. I am still curious about whether or not the tubing diameter of an SRI is relevant to performance. I currently have the AEM SRI (2.5" diameter), but am a little tempted to get the INJEN SRI (3" diameter). Hmmmm...

yea i've been wondering that to. is there a reason that aem made the sri and cai 2.5in instead of 3in like most other intakes.

rs_1101
11-20-2003, 02:49 PM
yes. it has alot to do with airflow and desired peak gain level. a 3" intake will flow best at a higher rpm than a 2.5" intake. 2.5" is prolly all youd need tho for the ep.
the v2 is interesting.. if you could measure the different pipe lengths for me, im trying to calculate what aem is trying to acheive here.. im wondering if theyre trying to cancel intake resonance or use it to boost the intake psi at certain rpms.

as for me tho.. im stayin with the jdm intake theory.. keep the filter closer to the motor for better throttle response

ep3si02
11-20-2003, 04:29 PM
thanks for the info

rs_1101
11-20-2003, 05:11 PM
do a search on midpipe.. we had quite a few threads discussing flow theory.. basically if you have a fluid moving through a tube, at a certain flow rate, drag caused by the tube decreases drastically, but if you have too big a tube, then flow rate is restricted by turbulence

MCeez02Si
11-20-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by rs_1101
do a search on midpipe.. we had quite a few threads discussing flow theory.. basically if you have a fluid moving through a tube, at a certain flow rate, drag caused by the tube decreases drastically, but if you have too big a tube, then flow rate is restricted by turbulence

Midpipes I've read about, however, I'm pretty sure that the diameter of an air intake is calculated differently for optimal performance for the specific product.

A 2.5 diameter is pretty much the deciding factor of the midpipe. However, due to the additional factors of heat soak/filter location, I can imagine perfomance is based on many factors for designing intakes.

Just my 2 cents.

rs_1101
11-20-2003, 11:20 PM
indeed you are correct of course. what i cant figure out if heat soak is such an issue is why wont aem make an abs intake. heat resistant. cheaper. more moldable. but yea theres alot of factors. im working on an intake for my ep right now.. not sure if i should go mugen style or aem style for cold air delivery.. i know i want a recessed fiter. thats all for now..

Mighty_Mouse
11-21-2003, 10:33 PM
Mine was $246 from Cox and arrived in two days! I threw it on tonight (takes about 35 mintues) and drove it a little bit. I was suprised at how quiet it was. It sounds basically like stock when driving normally, but it does wake up when you get on it. It's nowhere near as loud as others have made it seem though. Throaty with a good growl, but nothing that would attract unwanted attention. It's really not too loud at all.

I didn't notice any performance difference from stock (I reset the ECU), but I didn't get to drive it hardly at all. I'll put a bunch of miles on it tomorrow and report back.

The filter actually sits right where the large hole is in the left front wheel well, so it should get plenty of cool air. The only problem with that is that it will also get plenty of crud and water flung on it, so it would be a good idea to check the filter for cleanliness every other month or so.

SiR_d1
11-21-2003, 10:36 PM
was that $246 shipped?

Mighty_Mouse
11-21-2003, 11:27 PM
Yup. Two days to my door.

DarkHatch
11-22-2003, 08:28 AM
I was really thinkn about gettn one of these, but i guess it would be kinda pointless if i'm gettn a turbo :(

chibianh
11-22-2003, 09:26 AM
Mighty_Mouse, judging from your previous posts, i'm a little surprised you bought a V2. It seemed you were more of the CAI type of person. Anyways, let me know how/if you like the V2.

As for me, after about a week of having it, I must say that I'm still satisfied with my purchase. The power improvements are still there and it still sounds great. As for debris and water and such getting in, we'll see. So far, mine has stayed clean. But we're getting tons of snow this weekend, so if anything, I'll find out if debris does actually get up there.

rook
11-22-2003, 10:21 AM
I like it. This is what I will be getting, I am staying away from CAI for the same reason you did, Colorado winters. If you are happy with the product and purchase, that is all that matters.

rook

Mighty_Mouse
11-22-2003, 11:29 AM
I decided to try it because I thought that it would probably be the best of both worlds. I didn't see that the filter sat right by the hole in the fender, so the hot air shouldn't be a huge issue, except during summer.

The CAIs are much better than the V2 in the upper RPMs, but they have more throttle lag down low. The V2 seems to be the champ down low and in the midrange.

Since I don't have a Hondata, I decided to emphasize what the K20A3 does well (low and midrange). If I had a Hondata, I'd probably prefer the CAI since the V2 doesn't seem to help in the upper RPMs.

SIbeau
11-22-2003, 01:06 PM
What is the cox coupon code?

Mighty_Mouse
11-22-2003, 02:18 PM
I don't remember. Just search around for it. $10 off with the coupon and free shipping.

sivaji
11-22-2003, 04:44 PM
cox? where/what is that? can someone plz explain, im a n00bie here. =P

im ready to buy the v2 once i get the info on where to get it for cheapest. help me out ! :D

Mighty_Mouse
11-22-2003, 06:58 PM
FWIW, I just torched an 03 325ix tonight. They're not really fast cars, but it's always pleasing.

The intake really isn't that loud. Perhaps most people haven't had a lot of modified cars and that's why they think that it's loud.

No chance of hydrolock. The car feels pretty strong between 3-5k, but the low fuel cutoff is killing me. I think that I'll be getting a Hondata sooner than later.

chibianh
11-22-2003, 07:05 PM
that's good to hear... and u are right, it's my first mod to the car and compared to the stock intake, it's louder :)

Mighty_Mouse
11-22-2003, 07:12 PM
Definetely louder than stock, but just not louder than any other aftermarket intake on any other car. The RSX-S guys really think that it's loud since the V2's noise kicks in at the same time that their VTEC kicks in. We obviously don't get that with our EP3s.

hendo999
11-22-2003, 10:02 PM
with all this talk of the sri V2 anyone have any info on AEMs CAI V2???

chibianh
11-22-2003, 10:11 PM
the design is not a sri design per se.. it's a short runner design. there isn't going to be a long runner design or a cai v2 for our cars because there isn't enough room for one.

Si Death
11-22-2003, 11:49 PM
sorry noob question. What exactly is the loew fuel cut-off?

Mighty_Mouse
11-23-2003, 12:03 AM
Damm dude. Why bother with an Si if you're never going to take it to redline? Try it sometime and you'll find out what the fuel cutoff is and why it's too low. :D

sivaji
11-23-2003, 02:27 AM
well to tell you straight forward.. its a prevention thingamabobber cars have these days so taht you dont blow up your engine. when your engine is working too hard (revving to high) then the fuel gets cut off. thus causing the tachometer to bounce and your car would make a sound like.. *VROOOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM* well try it and youll find out. step on the gas and dont let go till you find out. =P

CleanBlackSi02
02-26-2004, 12:52 PM
I'd still like to hear some more feedback on this intake. Any other previous AEM CAI or AEM Short Ram owners have anything to share? Any realistic dyno results yet?

rook
02-27-2004, 10:42 AM
Check out the dyno results in the performance discussion on coloradoep3.com This site was set up and is maintained by the local members in the Denver area. There are charts and videos of each run from 2-22-04. The silver one (chibiahn's car) is running just an aem v2.

rook

SONIC SI
03-01-2004, 01:41 PM
Just installed my V2 and on the butt dyno there is an improvment. I just reset my ECU so I will see if there is any difference. The intake is pretty quiet at cruising speed but you can really hear it once you get on it but yet it still is pretty quite. I give the system 2 thumbs up.

FCobra94
03-01-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by rook
Check out the dyno results in the performance discussion on coloradoep3.com This site was set up and is maintained by the local members in the Denver area. There are charts and videos of each run from 2-22-04. The silver one (chibiahn's car) is running just an aem v2.

rook

Was his dyno run done w/ the hood open or closed?

Just curious...