PDA

View Full Version : disable ac

cgrahams
11-18-2003, 12:14 PM
Hi-wondering what the best way of disabling ac is. I don't like it coming on everytime I have the car on defrost-I know it does clear the windows better though.......

2QK4U ALLWAYS
11-18-2003, 12:31 PM
Do a search it's on here somewhere maybe how to's.
you do it with the buttons and the ignition cant remember exactly how but it works

Gasp23
11-18-2003, 02:22 PM
Read this (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21878&highlight=defrost)

cgrahams
11-18-2003, 06:37 PM
Tried the above-mentioned trick(lots of different ways too just in case-like releasing one button at a time etc)-didn't work. Got the flashing light on the recirc. button but a/c still comes on after. Is it possible that my Canadian car is different?

SHAKEnBAKE
11-19-2003, 10:19 PM
Maybe, cus it works fine on mine

2QK4U ALLWAYS
11-20-2003, 06:15 AM
It will allways come on after when you select Defrost mode but you can turn it off now by pressing the AC button.

cgrahams
11-20-2003, 09:24 PM
Nope-same as before-can't turn it off :(

BarracksSi
12-01-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by cgrahams
Is it possible that my Canadian car is different?

The Canadian cars, I understand, are supposed to be sold so that you could turn off the A/C system at any time.

When the weather is really, REALLY cold, you don't want extra moisture sitting around so that it can freeze and break things while you're parked. By being able to shut it off while still defrosting, you can dry out the areas that would collect A/C-generated moisture, and you can then park & store the car without worrying about excessive moisture problems.

I used the "cheat code" over a year ago, and I believe it worked the same way. Whenever I rotate the top knob to either Defrost or Heat & Defrost, it automatically turns on the A/C. If I want the A/C off, I have to press the button myself, but it wlll turn off.

I was tired of remembering how I did it, so I just now went to the car and messed around with it ---

The key, if you haven't found it yet, is to CONTINUE holding the buttons until the blinking stops.

When you're, um, "activating switchable A/C mode", you:
- turn the ignition key to the Accessory position (just where the radio turns on),
- turn all three knobs all the way to the left,
- press and hold the Recirc and A/C buttons,
- turn the key to ON (no need to start the car; the instrument warning lights should come on),
- CONTINUE to hold the buttons until the Recirc stops blinking and the A/C stays lit.

Once that happens, you should be able to turn off the A/C while the vent knob is in either of the two Defrost positions.

The A/C will automatically re-engage if you turn the vent knob to a non-defrost mode and turn it back to a defrost mode. However, it will remember its last state when you turn off the car -- if you switched to Defrost-without-A/C and turned off the car, the A/C will stay off when you start the car again.

IF your EP isn't doing this after following the directions exactly, there's something else going on.

Keep us posted --

bklynep3
01-09-2004, 02:12 AM
it works :D

2.0L Monster
01-09-2004, 09:32 AM
Whats the point of having your ac on when you defrost?

BarracksSi
01-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by 2.0L Monster
Whats the point of having your ac on when you defrost?

Warm DRY air defogs windows faster than warm WET air.

The a/c system, by its very nature, takes moisture out of the air, and the air coming from the vents is significantly drier than it was before. This is also the source of the water puddle that's left on the ground when you park after using the a/c on hot, humid days.

This is most helpful on rainy days, especially ones that are warm, extremely humid and have a high dew point temperature. In those cases, without a/c, you'd need to make the interior uncomfortably hot to prevent window fogging. With a/c engaged, it's certainly possible to keep the windows very clear.

In most temperature conditions, it helps greatly to use a/c when defogging windows.

The reason that northern climates have switchable a/c is because water generated by the a/c can possibly damage the system by freezing in very cold temperatures. Plus, it's not always necessary to use a/c when it's that cold outside.

EP3.. 2.. 1 GO
04-02-2004, 09:23 PM
Thanks BarracksSi for posting this. That's what I needed since I've had bought my car. I remeber when I took my Si to dealer to make AC off when I'm defrosting front window they told me that that they can't do anything, because that's the way it is!!! Now it's funny becaouse there is the way to make this AC go off when you want it!!!