PDA

View Full Version : Looks at my JICs (56K beware)

BlasTech
11-18-2003, 06:35 PM
These just arrived today, JIC Magic FLT-A2's, 504# front / 560# rear, linear springs

The box
http://www.dmcknight.net/forumpics/jics/jic1.jpg

unpacked and getting kitty inspection
http://www.dmcknight.net/forumpics/jics/jic3.jpg

the rear weight:
http://www.dmcknight.net/forumpics/jics/jic5.jpg

the front weight:
http://www.dmcknight.net/forumpics/jics/jic9.jpg

Total weight = 58lbs

No pinch bolts included, no nuts included, no instructions or even a parts list. :confused: Looks like quality stuff anyways, and there is a good tutorial online for installs.

The rear camber kit will be here tomorrow.

Jpax
11-18-2003, 07:53 PM
YOU SLUT

You got yours before me..... :mad: Oh well You can tell me how they feel now. ;)

Nice, were you order them from.

BlasTech
11-18-2003, 08:09 PM
I got mine from vividracing.com on the recommendation from JIC sales. Im so glad they upped the spring rates! I almost special-ordered them at the new rates a couple of months ago!

goy091
11-18-2003, 08:44 PM
wow, very very nice. the only thing ive heard bad about these is that theyre really harsh for daliy driving, but damn, those are sexy. if you dont mind me asking, how much $ did you spend?

Civicvtec1ps
11-18-2003, 08:47 PM
damn.
Looks good man.

BlasTech
11-18-2003, 08:49 PM
I paid 1680 + shipping, well below the msrp.

If you're wondering about the ride quality, you might be referring to another member here, ConeCrazy who special ordered very high spring and damper rates. These are the basic set, and have the same spring rates as Tien Flex... should be ok.

bobdobbs
11-18-2003, 09:16 PM
Do they come fully-assembled like that?

BlasTech
11-18-2003, 09:20 PM
Yep, they came bubble wrapped and separated with 3/4" cardboard just like that, but with foam pads stuck onto the sharp parts.

IceD out N CALI
11-18-2003, 09:46 PM
sweet

HondaMan
11-18-2003, 10:11 PM
Sweet! :cool:

bobdobbs
11-18-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech
Yep, they came bubble wrapped and separated with 3/4" cardboard just like that, but with foam pads stuck onto the sharp parts.
They look top notch. I'm curious how the ride is going to be with that solid aluminum top mount. Let us know. I might have to sell my Tein SS setup. :D

chunky
11-18-2003, 10:33 PM
i'm jealous to say the least. . . .

anjapower
11-18-2003, 10:36 PM
are those a bolt-up to the EP3 or RSX ones that you're gonna mod to fit?

HondaMan
11-18-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by anjapower
are those a bolt-up to the EP3 or RSX ones that you're gonna mod to fit?

"bolt-up"...direct swap for stock suspension.

mrfixit687
11-18-2003, 10:53 PM
baller alert :eek:

Brettnyt
11-18-2003, 10:55 PM
Nice!!! :eek: :D

ConeCrazy02
11-19-2003, 12:04 AM
I think you got a very good deal on those, they are very nice indeed. You'll have a lot of fun trying to adjust them to the optimal setting. Trying to figure out the currect ride height, camber, and shock setting is a pain in the ass. They're easy to install, just very hard to adjust.

For the front shocks...
RH (right handle)is the right side (right hand drive in japan, RL is the left. I would use a pen and ruler and mark out the other side of the plate with no markings, helps when trying to adjust the camber.

Set the 0 toward the fender and the side with more markings towards the engine. Flat side of the camber plate should face the engine (the silver plate under the pillow ball mount that looks like a "D").

When adjusting the camber, you have to jack up the car a little. Careful not to put too much camber, because if you put it all the way towards the engine (max camber) you can see that when you lower the car, the chasis might block the pillow ball from sitting correctly (I think one of of the rsx guys had his camber plate messed up that way).

Make sure both side camber is set to the same mark, bolt attached the same way. When adjusting, I suggest setting up a simple string alignment box for reference, then take it to the alignment shop (Most shop doesnt have the patient with you while you're adjusting the camber and such).

Setting the ride height (I counted threads but you can use a ruler) the same for both side, or else your caster will be off. The most important thing of all is, tighten that thread lock (including the spring perch and the shock perch), I do mean very tight. The front suspension moves around so it is very easy for that thing to come loose.

The good thing with these stiff springs is that, when you turn and you understeer for no reason, you know that the perch is loose (ask me how I know).

The rear is pretty easy, only one way you can put those on (one side of the strut is closer to the strut hole. Try lower the rear as much as you can w/o preloading the spring, this will help when you try to get more camber/lower ride height in the front.

Anything you're not clear just ask, be glad to help.

EnJaNir
11-19-2003, 12:32 AM
im just curious as to the main differences between these and the KW that are available, these appear to be a lil more "heavy duty"

Suk02Si
11-19-2003, 12:40 AM
Si, me gusta. :D

BlasTech
11-19-2003, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the tips ConeCrazy, I'll probably be contacting you, but first, get your exams out of the way, and good luck.

EnJanir, the main difference in these and the KW V2's is that these do come with front camber adjustment pillowball mounts built in, while the KW's stick to useing slotted holes for the pinch bolts to adjust front camber.(One guy at KW has mentioned the possible release of an optional add-on upper pillowball kit, but only they can verify that)

Another difference is that while these adjust compression, the KW V2's adjust rebound. That was a big one for me.

These also have an inverted monotube up front which allows for more shock travel (no bottoming out) and have higher spring rates than the V2's.

chunky
11-19-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by BlasTech
Thanks for the tips ConeCrazy, I'll probably be contacting you, but first, get your exams out of the way, and good luck.

EnJanir, the main difference in these and the KW V2's is that these do come with front camber adjustment pillowball mounts built in, while the KW's stick to useing slotted holes for the pinch bolts to adjust front camber.(One guy at KW has mentioned the possible release of an optional add-on upper pillowball kit, but only they can verify that)

Another difference is that while these adjust compression, the KW V2's adjust rebound. That was a big one for me.

These also have an inverted monotube up front which allows for more shock travel (no bottoming out) and have higher spring rates than the V2's.

not to mention aluminum construction for less weight. :)

i'm so jealous. although, i'd be more likely to ge the flt-a2 RS with my custom specs which would be a bit stiffer than what you got. ;)

Burgh
11-19-2003, 09:47 AM
Blastech I can't even begin to tell you how jealous I am. :D One request - take lots of good notes on your settings when you go racing and as you do your test-n-tune stuff. Just in case I pick up a set of these (they're my favorites out of all the coilover setups out there) sometime in the future, I'd like to be able to cheat off you. :D

HondaMan
11-19-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Burgh
Blastech I can't even begin to tell you how jealous I am. :D One request - take lots of good notes on your settings when you go racing and as you do your test-n-tune stuff. Just in case I pick up a set of these (they're my favorites out of all the coilover setups out there) sometime in the future, I'd like to be able to cheat off you. :D

Me too, if I end up getting rich and swapping out my Tein Basics for them. :D

Driftin SI
11-19-2003, 12:13 PM
Nice setup :eek: can't wait for some reviews when you get them on

EricP3
11-19-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by HondaMan
Me too, if I end up getting rich and swapping out my Tein Basics for them. :D
i get first dips on the basics!!!

HondaMan
11-19-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by EricP3
i get first dips on the basics!!!

HeHe...okay! :cool:

JDMEM2
11-21-2003, 01:28 PM
Sweet...:D I've been in an RSX with these JIC's and I can tell you that they handle ridiculously great.

BlasTech
11-21-2003, 02:07 PM
well there's been a delay.

I looked at the numbers on the springs and found that JIC had sent me the older 8/9kg setup instead of the 9/10 setup.

I called, and they said to just send the 8s back and they'll send 10s, and I just move the 9s up front.

I asked some folks about this and decided it would be even better for my application to go with the 8s up front and have the 10s replace the 9s in back... so I'll end up with a custom 8/10 setup...closer to the stock f/r ratios, really.

Now Im just waiting for the 10s to come in.

Oh, yeah, JIC also said to reuse the stock bolts and nuts, and their instructions have not yet been translated from Japanese. He did go over the adjustment procedures with me on the phone.... basically all the way tight is the stopping point, and you count clicks back from there.

HondaMan
11-21-2003, 02:20 PM
Get the Japanese instructions via .pdf format or something and email them to me (PM me for work email) and I can get our Japanese translator or one of my Japanese co-workers to look at them, and translate the important stuff...etc. :)

BTW, sounds like it will be a very nice setup! :cool:

Burgh
11-21-2003, 02:45 PM
I saw your thread over in the HT RR/AX forum about this. Did JIC happen to mention why they switched from 8/9 to 9/10?

BlasTech
11-21-2003, 03:01 PM
They told me that many people (myself included) were asking about the higher spring rates (similar to Tien FLEX), and were shying away from paying the extra for a custom set.

JIC generally uses rates that are 1 step off from each other, but the EP/RSX stock spring ratios would say that the rears can be a bit higher than the fronts. I think the 9/10 might have been too stiff for me up front, and I would have ended up getting rid of my sway bar, but the 8 should balance it out for my driving style.

BlasTech
01-15-2004, 06:24 PM
OK, about now people are seeing the posts going around the boards about JIC having bad customer service. Now I have had two issues with my JICs: one was the older springs coming with my kit, and the other was a damper that made a 'clack' noise.

In both instances, the folks at JIC have replaced my products for free, and most of the hassle I experienced was self-inflicted, due to my own stubborn troubleshooting efforts.

JICs (and most coilovers for that matter) are not a refundable item, and everyone who buys them knows this. With a policy like that, you should expect to get a product that performs as advertised, and JIC has been fair about holding up thier end of that deal with me.

Also, though they are extremely busy, and Im an extremely persistent customer, they were never apathetic or condescending to me on the phone during my dealings with them, which is not vrey common in the mailorder jdm parts business from what I've heard.

Im hoping, of course, I dont have any problems with my JICs, but I think they are at least aware now that people talk about customer service online, and they will treat people fairly, as long as they are reasonable and not threatening them.

BlasTech
01-20-2004, 02:32 PM
Unfortunately, I've had my camber tweaked a bit, and you'll find that the camber setting will vary depending on the height of the drop anyway.

When I got my corner-weighting and alignment I did notice that on each side the camber settings are at different notches to get the same camber. This is because of the cross-wieghting, I believe, as the car will need more spring preload on the right, and thus a lower perch setting to stay even.

I was a little tempted to go with the 9s up front but decided to stay with 8s for comfort. So my final setup (for the time being) is 8/10... already, I've done a little tuning, and found I can get wild oversteer if I want, but I'll need at least 4 more events to get it tweaked up some more.

ConeCrazy02
01-20-2004, 07:12 PM
Trying to adjust the front shock setting is hard, but thats the price for an inverted shock.

eurosteez
01-21-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by mrfixit687
baller alert :eek:
hiballer at that:banana::D

BlasTech
01-22-2004, 08:27 AM
I dont have any problems getting my fingers in the right spot to adjust them.

I just lay down on my back next to the wheel, and reach inside. I have finally got it in my head which way is which upside down.

ConeCrazy02
01-22-2004, 10:16 PM
It might be because my shocks are valved differently, 240 psi front and 280 rear.