PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Prep

KingGreg86
11-18-2003, 07:14 PM
Is there ne thing i have to do to my car to prepare for a turbo?? (**Engine work**)???

2k2SiAutoXer
11-18-2003, 08:23 PM
well that all depends on how much boos you are looking for. If you want to go stage 1, then there is nothing you really need to do, its been said that our engines are good for 10lbs boost stock.

--Tom

KingGreg86
11-18-2003, 09:00 PM
Thanks a whole crack load! Prolly gettin rev hard or greddy or JRSC! should be fine for all these (**max boost about 7psi right?**)

beansbear
11-19-2003, 12:15 PM
wow
did your engine blow?
what happened?

vtecnrg
11-19-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by beansbear
wow
did your engine blow?
what happened?

I have sent you a PM.

master7
11-19-2003, 02:15 PM
Can I be sent a PM too? I want to know what happened. I am thinking about getting a "wet" kit or turbo in the near future... I want to get the pros and cons that people have..thanks

B17A
11-19-2003, 06:25 PM
I too would like a PM. Trying to gather as much info as possible on the GReddy kit.

SilVic
11-19-2003, 06:50 PM
Me too please. :D

vtecnrg
11-19-2003, 08:05 PM
I would highly endorse the Greddy turbo for our cars. It is awesome. Once my new engine is broken in I plan to have the Greddy reinstalled. My orginal post was in reply to what can I do to my car to be prepared. I think most people think this, I was just encouraging the idea, what can I do to be prepared emotionally or possibly only having one car (I had two left),or the possible financial burden of having to pay for a new engine. I was lucky.

bgsteve523
11-19-2003, 08:21 PM
HOW DID YOU GET A NEW ENGINE?

K-Series
11-19-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by vtecnrg
Honda 3 year, 36k Warranty

Ah! So we have you to thank for higher insurance rates. Good work. Your "weak motor" would have been fine under SPECIFIED operating conditions (not boost). Now, you just scammed your insurance and what will end up being my insurance out of the price of a new motor.

Golf Clap for the thief....

:confusem:

Steve

beansbear
11-19-2003, 09:25 PM
So if it happened to you, you wouldnt be glad that Honda replaced your engine?

vtecnrg
11-19-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by US_Si
Ah! So we have you to thank for higher insurance rates. Good work. Your "weak motor" would have been fine under SPECIFIED operating conditions (not boost). Now, you just scammed your insurance and what will end up being my insurance out of the price of a new motor.

Golf Clap for the thief....

:confusem:

Steve

I'm not sure what you mean by insurance this was not part of a personal claim. Also, I have been a loyal Honda customer, 13 Hondas and 3 Acuras. I'm sure I have paid for this one way or another, there are no free lunches.

The reason I have replied to questions is to help others who may also be interested in purchasing a turbo. Not to deal with assholes like you. If you don't have anything nice to say, shut the fuck up. :D

87gn
11-19-2003, 10:07 PM
i hope you were running a turbo-saver when that engine went out, if not i would not expect to long of a life from that turbo.

ATRIOT
11-19-2003, 11:39 PM
Turbo saver? Please enlighten us?

K-Series
11-20-2003, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by vtecnrg
I'm not sure what you mean by insurance this was not part of a personal claim. Also, I have been a loyal Honda customer, 11 Hondas and 3 Acuras. I'm sure I have paid for this one way or another, there are no free lunches.

The reason I have replied to questions is to help others who may also be interested in purchasing a turbo. Not to deal with assholes like you. If you don't have anything nice to say, shut the fuck up. :D

Oh, you just screwed Honda. I see, then it's ok. :rolleyes:

Nice move anyways asshat. (That was nice wasn't it?)

Steve

K-Series
11-20-2003, 05:39 AM
To get back on topic:

Turbo Prep

As long as your running "basic kits" nothing has to be done before hand except maybe going to colder plugs (not sure if that's included in most kits or not) and getting an (EGT or Air/Fuel) and a boost gauge. I'd also recommend an AFC unless you're running a GReddy. I'm not sure how the emanage works with the air fuel controller.

I have the Cybernation Stage I and it's great. The only thing I really have left to do to get an LSD (not needed by most), beefier axles, and switch from an Air/Fuel to an EGT (I've been told it's a lot more accurate than the air fuel in terms of running rich/lean.)

You'll find that most kits will give 95% of what you need.

Now, the first thing you should be considering for an upgrade (it's not needed, but it may be down the road) is a new clutch/pp. I had mine replaced a month or 2 after my kit was installed and man, what a difference.

Good luck with your purchase and don't be scared to ask questions.

Steve

vtecnrg
11-20-2003, 08:30 AM

Steve

You can always tell who is an enlightened man by the questions that he asks. Since you have asked none, I can tell what type of person I am dealing with. You live in a box, you think in a box and you will die in a box and that is your problem. Since you have no clue I will attempt to enlighten you.

For starters I did not screw anyone, Honda knew exactly what was going on and chose to help on their own. They did not agree to fix anything until they opened the engine and diagnosed the problem. They saw every mod on the car and mind you there are quite a few. I don't have a special mind control machine that will make honda replace engines for free. If so I would use it on you to make you go away. My tech and service manager knew everything and agreed this was a weak engine and this would have occured turbo or not. Honda did as they should for a loyal customer and bad engine.

My original point is that I have read to many threads where people were unprepared for this sort of situation and were left out in the cold. What is your plan when your engine fails? I will not be the only one. Hence my original post be sure that you go into this knowing what you will do and who your friends are.

I'm not sure why you have chosen to target my comments and spew opinions when you don't know me or have any understanding of the situation. At least the others asked for PM so that they could hear the story. Regardless, I am growing tired of the banter and have chosen to ignore you and your comments. I wish you and your box what you deserve.

K-Series
11-20-2003, 09:17 AM
Whatever you say man. If my engine fails, I'll rebuild it (K24 when that happens). If I added a CAI and sucked up water, I'd buy a new motor. If I added boost and the motor died, I'd suck it up and fix that.

Good for you that your dealership fixed it. The way you presented it sounded like you removed the turbo FIRST and then had the motor replaced (thus deceiving your dealer IMO).

If not, great for you.

As for my box, I love it. Thanks for asking.

Steve

beansbear
11-20-2003, 09:24 AM
geez.
just cut it out already.
grow up.

sniperSI
11-20-2003, 09:28 AM

Steve

Yes because we all know how honda NEVER screws clients, from the headquaters to the service dept, to the dealerships. God forbid a consumer actually puts one over on a multi-billon dollar company, that puts 'one over' everyday on consumers.

If you were able to 'sell' them on a new engine then vtecnrg, more power 2 u.

Don't keep another brotha down man, lose the haterade, its not like you hold stock in honda or do you?

K-Series
11-20-2003, 10:31 AM
I don't know, I'm on not big on taking advantage of people. Call it morals or proper upbringing, whatever.

HOWEVER, if the dealership knew about the turbo and still took it back, then I see nothing wrong with it. I was under the impression that he took the turbo off first then brought it in and got a free motor.

Again, my bad for starting this. It sounded like you were lying to them.

Steve

sniperSI
11-20-2003, 10:37 AM
I agree with taking advantage of people. I would never go out of my way to screw anyone over, but when it comes to corperate america, I just look at it like the "consumer justification".

87gn
11-20-2003, 05:03 PM
Turbo saver? Please enlighten us?

tubo saver is a filter thats pre-turbo it filters out any metallic particals out of the oil if your engine blows. i know you might be thinking that a engine will blow so fast that the oil pump will stop and no contaminated oil will get to the turbo, some if not most do BUT ive seen a few cases where people have reused turbos from blown engines and they have failed in no time because of bearing damage.

ATRIOT
11-20-2003, 05:06 PM
That makes sense. Thanks.