PDA

View Full Version : updated opinions on Si (vs. SRT-4)

furious
11-19-2003, 07:15 AM
First off, if you want to flame, don't read the rest. I loved the Si, and now I love the SRT-4. I am not going to be biased here so take the ripping elsewhere...thanks.

NOTE: I owned a 03 Si from May-Nov and now I own a 04 SRT-4. Here are some takes on the advantages and disadvantages of the vehicles that I have so far observed.

Si's transmission, clutch, shifter is remarkable, clutch is light, easy to handle, highly predictable.
SRT-4, opposite, however feels very heavy duty which is not necessarily a good thing.

Si's torque kicks in right off the bat from a stop! Got to love it!
SRT-4, must hit 2k before you can feel a surge, at which point the surge is continuous/flat at 250lb torque from 2k-4.5k, like riding on rails.

Si's interior is spectacular. Quality is incredible.
SRT-4 has cheap interior, but sporty touches that is not all that different from say a WRX.

Si is light and nimble despite its weight.
SRT-4, about the same weight feels like a much much bigger car that you will hesitate bringing to the track.

Si accelerates fast.
SRT-4 accelerates very fast. I would hesitate hitting redline.

Si has a higher redline, sporty free-spirited driving.
SRT-4 has only a 6k redline, and you really don't go anywhere near it.

Si needs a drop and bigger rims with sport tires.
SRT-4 has a nice height with 17" rims and nice tires.

Looks is highly subjective. I love the SRT-4's look, but it is fuggin chunky...same length as a bmw 3 series sedan.

That is all I know for know. My auterra arrived yesterday and I will be using that to do some cheesy dyno readings. Take care guys.

Driftin SI
11-19-2003, 07:27 AM
Thanks for thr write, thats a good, unbiased comparison :)

K-Series
11-19-2003, 07:38 AM
Good write up, but I'm sure some assclown will flame away the ever popular "but it's still a neon" BS.

I like the SRT-4 for what it is, a high performance sport compact with the support of Mopar behind it. (Doesn't get much better than that IMO.)

I wish Honda and VW would do the same since the only Dodge turbo I'd buy would be a quad cab Ram to tow my Si to the track.

Steve

chibianh
11-19-2003, 07:40 AM
haha.. unbiased? I got the sense that he still loves everything about his Si and only the speed and power of the srt-4. Anyways, have fun with the neon bro.. and take some pics when u get it!

2k2_nbp_egg
11-19-2003, 07:41 AM
Wow...nice!!! Congrats on the srt bro...and I'm glad that we can finally get a non-biased opinion of both cars in here from someone that has owned both. I'd really like to hear your opinion on the handling, especially since the 04's are coming with that LSD. And the seats...it's been a while since I've sat in one. How do you like them compared to our recaros?

furious
11-19-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by 2k2_nbp_egg
And the seats...it's been a while since I've sat in one. How do you like them compared to our recaros?

The seats would depend on the size of the driver.

I have a 42 chest measurement and in the Si:
I fit perfect, and I love the smell of them suede.
in the SRT-4:
the very high bolsters is incessently pressing against my shoulderblade area.

The seats in the SRT-4 is soft, especially the bolsters, sags a bit much...it doesn't have anything on the Si seats..

furious
11-19-2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by chibianh
haha.. unbiased? I got the sense that he still loves everything about his Si and only the speed and power of the srt-4. Anyways, have fun with the neon bro.. and take some pics when u get it!

moving the speed/power to the Si would be nice, but it is only the Si's interior and TOTALLY AWESOME creature comfort that I love...I'd rather do this: move all interior into the SRT-4...that would be my dream car:D

I'll take pics soon, I already have it, but the days really suck out here.

BlackNRedSi
11-19-2003, 07:59 AM
nice write up!

BlackNRedSi
11-19-2003, 08:01 AM
furious clean your mailbox so i can PM you

Zero Three Si
11-19-2003, 08:22 AM
LOL....he really misses his Si. If he would have put a turbo on the K20a3 he would still have it.

VividFL EP
11-19-2003, 09:04 AM
I went to the Dodge dealership last weekend and let them run some numbers on me Si while I test drove the SRT-4. The power of the SRT definately beats the Si, but the interior of Si is definately alot nicer. The SRT did feel alot bulkier, but overall a pretty nice ride. After getting the numbers back on what they could get me into the SRT for there was no way I whould have done it. My payments were going to go up about $120 per month. They were only going to give me $13,000 for my car, plus I had to put $1,500 down. For all of that I would rather save up for a K20a of a turbo for my K20a3. Plus, when I walked out of the dealership and saw my baby sitting there, I would not want to get rid of her. That is my input on the SRT-4.:)

rs_1101
11-19-2003, 09:22 AM
*flame* *flame* *flame* *flame* *flame* *flame* *flame* *flame* *flame* *flame*

just messin :D

LordKoo
11-19-2003, 10:17 AM
SRT4's interior is cheap man... Every hardware is nice, especially the quafile LSD. When I sit in it, the interior is a big turn off... I did not even bother to ask for a test drive.

Coil99
11-19-2003, 10:43 AM
Nice write up!

I like both cars and if I had the cash I'd be happy with one of each...but no such luck.

Jaws Of Death
11-19-2003, 01:51 PM
I actually got to test drive a silver 04 SRT-4 the other day, and I must say Damn!!! Yeah, the interior is cheap, yeah it looks like a mean neon, yeah it may not be as reliable (debatable). But when I pushed on that right pedal, I didn't care. It handled alot better than I anticipated too. I was very impressed overall. If I could get in one without losing much, I would in a heartbeat. Don't get me wrong,I still like my ep, its more practical and gets better gas mileage and I think it looks much better, but the SRT-4 was just an absolute blast to drive. Just my two cents.:)

BlackBullet02Si
11-19-2003, 01:59 PM
hahahaha steve - "assclown"
from office space, one of the funniest movies of all time - "that no talent assclown"
nice use of the phrase

the JigGa mAn
11-19-2003, 02:06 PM
very nice write up...if you want the Si interior...you should make it happen...i would like to see that...it would be awesome

EricP3
11-19-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by furious
I'd rather do this: move all interior into the SRT-4...that would be my dream car:D
here.
seems to me like his dream car would be a turbo-si... congrats on the srt tho man. props to you for actualy buying it instead of dreaming about the power. have fun in it.

BarracksSi
11-19-2003, 08:00 PM
Interesting comparison -- looks like what I would have guessed without even sitting in an SRT-4.

Yeah, I would choose to make more power with the Si, seeing how that's the only thing you didn't seem to like about it. That's just me, though.

STP03BlueSI
11-19-2003, 08:25 PM
Si- called a Egg, and mini mini van.

SRT-4 - Called...a.....

S K I T T L E

Sorry had to say it.:smilem:

Brettnyt
11-19-2003, 08:33 PM
Great review! Glad to see we arent totally left in the dust! Make sure to post some pics when you get a chance... Good to hear that they have no torque down low... LOL... Sorry, I just dislike seeing that car do so well... Most of it is prolly jealousy of the power, but still, I am glad you like the power... I want to turbo my ep! :D

eurosteez
11-19-2003, 09:19 PM
I wish the srt-4 didn't have such a funky exterior, bubbly bumpers, fat wing etc. I also think the back should be dropped a few inches but I think the raised rear helps reduce wheel spin.

furious
11-20-2003, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by BarracksSi
Yeah, I would choose to make more power with the Si, seeing how that's the only thing you didn't seem to like about it.

i got this from many members here, but honestly i love the looks of the SRT-4 more than the Si. it suits me better. that is why i said the Si 'interior' only swapped into the SRT-4. yet i am strangely growing accustomed to the new interior, my Auterra and Sony Clie is hooked up and positioned perfectly w/o any thing...now i have a screen telling me live data through the OBDII interface:D i'll let you guys know more when i know more..

furious
11-20-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by STP03BlueSI
S K I T T L E

Sorry had to say it.:smilem:

damn you...................you even went out of your way to color code it!!

3 mad :yellm: :yellm: :yellm: for that..

the JigGa mAn
11-20-2003, 07:49 AM
one of our banned trolls made this point and i must say its a very good one..

--by buying your neon turboed from the factory you saved your self the hassle of the manufactary warranty. because by putting a turbo on a si(r) you throw away your warranty. this way you get the boost and you dont have to worry about things going wrong and shelling out your own money when it can be covered by dodge--

i dont know if that made sense..im half awake

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
11-20-2003, 10:30 AM
The seats would depend on the size of the driver.

I have a 42 chest measurement and in the Si:
I fit perfect, and I love the smell of them suede.
in the SRT-4:
the very high bolsters is incessently pressing against my shoulderblade area.

The seats in the SRT-4 is soft, especially the bolsters, sags a bit much...it doesn't have anything on the Si seats..

So you're saying someone w/ a 53" chest probably would be uncomfortable in the Neon?

Damn, and I wanted one SOOOOOOOOOO BAD! :confused:

Si3
11-20-2003, 10:41 AM
Srt4 is an awesome car, and with all the mopar factory upgrades i was told you can be around 300whp and have full factory warrenty(sp?)!
but still would take an Si anyday! wouldnt want to sit in that car for as many hours as i sit in my Si!

(whoop my ass in a striaght line and the twisties though!)

-aj-

furious
11-20-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC
So you're saying someone w/ a 53" chest probably would be uncomfortable in the Neon?

Damn, and I wanted one SOOOOOOOOOO BAD! :confused:

you have the option of getting regular seats. i think this is precisely the reason they offer the normal seats, plus you can get side airbags with normal seats.

bobdobbs
11-20-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC
I said it before and I'll say it again: Honda needs to use you in a commercial for the EP3.

bloodzombie
11-20-2003, 11:45 AM
My only impression of the srt4 is when I sat in one at the auto show, and just by pressing the clutch and shifting gears, I really didn't like the feel of it. But I'd probably forget that I didn't like the feel when that turbo kicked in.

Bruce02si
11-20-2003, 06:03 PM
i would get the srt in a minute i would have right now if it wasnt for insurance i pay 3800 a yeah for a civic with the srt it goes up to 5200 i'll be paying 2x my car payment for my insurance plus i'll buy the car in 4 yrs with insurance NJ laws suck

phatfreeza
11-21-2003, 03:38 AM
i happen to like the way the srt-4's look :) very sexy especially in red or yellow.. factory turbo is always a good idea... warranties saves mucho $$$ :) have fun with your neon!!!

PinkMilk
11-21-2003, 08:47 AM
Comparing the Si and the SRT is kinda a joke. I have had a 95 neon which i modifed, my sis had a 96, and my ex had 2001 sport package... the Neon kicks the the Si's ass in every catagory except..reliablity, clutch/transmission... and interior...every other area the neon kicks ass. and i never had a reliablity problem.. but i do hate the transmisson and clutch... the interior u could always customize. but comparing a turbo 4dr with 215hp and 245 torque... to a SI is a joke... try comparing a type r to the SRT thats alittle more fair.

PinkMilk
11-21-2003, 08:51 AM
P.S. If you want a real comparison... soemthing more logical try comparing a SI to the Neon R/T. 2.0 150hp ... but even that is jsut as fast as your Si at a cheaper price...

BlackNRedSi
11-21-2003, 09:08 AM
The only thing i dont understand about the SRT4 (this is NOT a BASH) but how the heck does dodge sell the car for only like 20 grand!? I mean its great that its a low price, but how do they do it?! i mean its the same price as our car but alot stronger and a turbo mounted on it....

and why did they not give the option on this car for automatic windows and door locks?! like is it that more expensive to do that?

02SilverSiHB
11-21-2003, 09:15 AM
First off, if you want to flame, don't read the rest. I loved the Si, and now I love the SRT-4. I am not going to be biased here so take the ripping elsewhere...thanks.

NOTE: I owned a 03 Si from May-Nov and now I own a 04 SRT-4. Here are some takes on the advantages and disadvantages of the vehicles that I have so far observed.

Si's transmission, clutch, shifter is remarkable, clutch is light, easy to handle, highly predictable.
SRT-4, opposite, however feels very heavy duty which is not necessarily a good thing.

Si's torque kicks in right off the bat from a stop! Got to love it!
SRT-4, must hit 2k before you can feel a surge, at which point the surge is continuous/flat at 250lb torque from 2k-4.5k, like riding on rails.

Si's interior is spectacular. Quality is incredible.
SRT-4 has cheap interior, but sporty touches that is not all that different from say a WRX.

Si is light and nimble despite its weight.
SRT-4, about the same weight feels like a much much bigger car that you will hesitate bringing to the track.

Si accelerates fast.
SRT-4 accelerates very fast. I would hesitate hitting redline.

Si has a higher redline, sporty free-spirited driving.
SRT-4 has only a 6k redline, and you really don't go anywhere near it.

Si needs a drop and bigger rims with sport tires.
SRT-4 has a nice height with 17" rims and nice tires.

Looks is highly subjective. I love the SRT-4's look, but it is fuggin chunky...same length as a bmw 3 series sedan.

That is all I know for know. My auterra arrived yesterday and I will be using that to do some cheesy dyno readings. Take care guys.
no flames here, they aren't bad cars, I just know I would never buy one because I don't like the looks...that's just me.

STP03BlueSI
11-21-2003, 09:27 AM
damn you...................you even went out of your way to color code it!!

3 mad :yellm: :yellm: :yellm: for that..

LMAO!
yea had to color code the S K I T T L Eonly way to do it correct.

stephen
11-21-2003, 10:20 AM
I'd rather have the SRT-4

furious
11-21-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by BlackNRedSi
and why did they not give the option on this car for automatic windows and door locks?! like is it that more expensive to do that?

front two windows are auto...rear two are crank. doorlocks are auto, comes also with remote doorlocking...also have an auto locking (freaked me out when I was driving the first time and a sound goes off after about 30 seconds). i also love the chime for the low gas light for when it comes on and when you start the ride with a low tank.

honestly, i've already become very used to the SRT-4s interior and am very very settled in. the only thing I want back from the Si is its clutch/shifter.

PinkMilk: the comparison is not a joke. they are in the same price range aren't they? it would be a joke if i compared a rav4 maybe, but i'm not. it is valid as they are both meant to be econo pocket-rockets. the comparison is not all about muscle, now if you compare the Si to the R/T...then THAT is a joke cuz the prices are not matched. maybe we shouldn't compare the ford SVT to the Si, or the protege to the Si, or the...you get the point;)

andy
11-21-2003, 10:40 AM
The only thing i dont understand about the SRT4 (this is NOT a BASH) but how the heck does dodge sell the car for only like 20 grand!? I mean its great that its a low price, but how do they do it?! i mean its the same price as our car but alot stronger and a turbo mounted on it....

For one, the SRT-4 shares the platform with the other Neons, PT Cruiser
and PT Turbo. It also has the same engine as the PT Turbo, IIRC. That
means less development/production costs, b/c it's used in a lot of
cars.
Three, Neons are cheap. "It's just a Neon" is a pretty true statement,
too bad people don't give Neons any credit. Take a base Neon, drop
a sick engine and LSD in it and you have the SRT-4.

BarracksSi
11-21-2003, 11:58 AM

Plus, they didn't have to start with the non-SRT parts anyway. Imagine how cheap an Si would be if it had no brakes, no intake or exhaust manifolds, no ECU, no wheels, etc etc. Take that savings and put it into turbo, brakes, and everything else.

It's like either buying a complete tuxedo outfit and changing things like the cummerbund & tie, or just buying a tux jacket & slacks and adding the cummerbund & tie later.

the JigGa mAn
11-21-2003, 12:05 PM
PinkMilk- i understand what your sayin...but i dont think you realize that he is comparing cars that he has/does own..he is comparing his old 02/03 si to his 04 SRT-4...so you cannot say that compare it to a neon R/T cos he doesnt own that...and you cant say compare a Type R to a SRT-4..because he didnt own a Type R...(at least i dont think he has???)

2k2_nbp_egg
11-21-2003, 12:30 PM
I'm slow....why is it called a skittle?

RiceCzechs
11-21-2003, 05:43 PM
Not trying to start a flamewar, but I'm just not feelin' the term "Skittle"... everytime I see you post it I groan... :eek: :confused:

Originally posted by STP03BlueSI
LMAO!
yea had to color code the S K I T T L Eonly way to do it correct.