PDA

View Full Version : Who Has Had Boost Before?

bgsteve523
11-19-2003, 07:29 PM
Hey Guys,
I was just wondering if anyone had a boosted civic before they got the new si? If so why did you get rid of the car and what kind of turbo or S/C did you guys have? It seems like a lot of people used to have 99-00 si's with greedy turbo's and then got this car. I am just really confused why you would spend all the money on getting an si boosted then just to buy a new one and start all over again. Is greddy no a good turbo company, because they are my top pick right now for a kit of my 03EP.
Thanks,
Steve O

simione
11-20-2003, 11:15 AM
i had a 97 hatch that i swapped a 99 ex motor into it and then put a greddy turbo on it. i loved the car and almost paid it off and then new car fever set in and i traded it in for an accord. i regret it to this day. i never had problems with the greddy kit and ran 8 pounds all of the time. i had it dyno tuned and at 8 pounds i made 166 hp to the wheels. not that much hp but i ran a 14.0 at 97 on street tires though. it was only a 1.6 ex motor.

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
11-20-2003, 11:26 AM
I had a 1996 Civic EX which I bought brand new in '96.
After 3000 miles I put a GReddy turbo kit on it.
I ran 15.8 non-intercooled at 5psi (stock ran 16.8).
After about a year I got it down to 13.5 @ 105mph on stock internals and street tires.
It was a high 12 sec. car on slicks.
Very impressive for a stock internal 1.6L single cam.
Drove it at 14psi daily for about 3 years and 45,000 miles with NO PROBLEMS.

Around 1999 I swapped in a B16A2 (DOHC VTEC) and went crazy.
I had a custom turbo kit (Turbonetics T3/T4e ball bearing) and Accel DFI stand alone Engine Management but had no money left to build the motor so after about 2000 miles I blew the motor and lost interest.
Parted it out and traded it in on a 2000 Maxima which I put a Vortech Supercharger and then NOS kit on.
It made 342hp and 366tq and was about as fast as my old civic.

Decided to part out the Maxima and trade it in once I got married and started looking for a house.
That's where the EP came in.
Of course it only took about 3 days to catch the mod bug again.
I'm just too broke now having a house and a kid on the way, so unless I get that dream job, I'll probably be N/A for a while, or maybe some cheap F.I. (ie: nitrous).

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

bgsteve523
11-20-2003, 02:52 PM
HEY THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO GUYS. IF ANYONE ELSE HAS MORE EXPERANCES ESP WITH GREEDY I WOULD ENJOY IT.
THANKS,
STEVE O

dchu
11-23-2003, 04:24 AM
Had a '99 EX with JRSC at stock boost of 6 psi. It was fun at first but I got used to it and it wasn't really upgradeable. It felt kinda sluggish in stop and go traffic and part of that was also because I got used to it. Hp/tq, 132/117, were a bit lower then I expected too. After 25k miles of boost I got rid of the JRSC in hopes of getting a B16, but it never happened. Compared to the EP, the top-end but the EP has better low-end by far. I might get a Greddy kit in the future, but I'm gonna wait till all the kinks are worked out. Greddy has had a reputation for having bad electronics. That was the case for 99-00 Si's when it was first released at least. Too many cases of running lean/bad idle due to a faulty "blue box".

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
11-23-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by dchu
Had a '99 EX with JRSC at stock boost of 6 psi. It was fun at first but I got used to it and it wasn't really upgradeable. It felt kinda sluggish in stop and go traffic and part of that was also because I got used to it. Hp/tq, 132/117, were a bit lower then I expected too.

Wow, those are some seriously low numbers.
With the GReddy kit at 6psi I was making about 170whp.

dchu
11-23-2003, 05:39 PM
The average out of the D16Y8 is 135 hp. JR claimed something like 140/121 but almost nobody achieved those numbers. You would have to lean it out with a VAFC and run on the brink of detonation to get those numbers. Another disappointed sc'ed D16Y8 owner, I think the guy with the famous JR horror story, said that JR admitted to him that they got those numbers buy running race gas and stock ignition timing.

Az02Si
11-28-2003, 01:30 AM
I had a 2000 Si with a JRSC...6 psi it made 192/132 and 9psi 219/146.It ran 13.50s coasting through the traps..(long story)I racked up 61k on that car,stripped it down and went to buy the EP....I hated the EP at first but now i like it...It just needs to hit the level my 00 was at...

bgsteve523
11-29-2003, 02:45 PM
I am kind of in the same boat I wanted my si so bad and now that I have it it's kind of pissing me off with the lack of power. I think its time for boost! I hope a turbo will solve me power prob I am just afraid of getting it and still not being happy. I am sure I am just set on how much they are but im sure ill be happy once I get it prob no longer than 3 months from now. OK sorry guys just thinking out loud.
Thanks,
Steve O