PDA

View Full Version : How to enjoy CAI without hydrolock.

BluePearl03Si
11-19-2003, 10:39 PM
From what I've seen, it's very simple.

1. Don't drive in heavy rain if you don't have to. If you have to, stick with freeways and familar roads. If you have to take an unfamilar road, slow down and keep your eyes open, if it looks deep, don't risk it. Going on another street and losing 5 minutes isn't as bad as having your engine sucking the puddle dry.

2. If you go in, let off the gas and throw it in neutral, slap your head and call yourself a dumbass.

3. Don't run it with a body kit that leaves it exposed, if it's not sheilded, buy a V2 or a Short Ram.

If it still worries you too much, just buy a V2 or SRS but when it bakes like an oven under that hood and you don't get a power gain, just remember at least you are not getting a 5K plus bill for splashing through a river.

chubbychu
11-19-2003, 10:42 PM
im starting to wonder if it is possible to seal up the filter area and get cold air re-routed from somewhere else. this way you could avoid heatsoak AND risk of hydrolock

Brettnyt
11-19-2003, 11:23 PM
all this hydrolock talk has gotten me worried... I will be getting an AEM CAI in not too long... I have been practicing avoiding puddles... What about slush in the snow? Sometimes that is VERY tough to avoid... recommendations? We got our first snow last night... Its still hangin around too! Drove the EP in the snow for the first time this mornin... not much, but i was realizing how tough it was to avoid slush... what should I do?

DyNastySi
11-19-2003, 11:28 PM
For the part of having an open bumper. Wasnt someone on here making a shield for the bottom so water wouldnt get up there? Phewww...its a good thing I have a beater.:)

BluePearl03Si
11-19-2003, 11:31 PM
We got some snow down here in Portland/Vancouver.

It was kinda fun, but you know we don't get a ton of it on the ground in western washington.

And driving a beater is a great idea.

raiyo
11-19-2003, 11:37 PM
Ways to Avoid Hydrlock

1. eBay SRI for for rainy season (stock air box is to much trouble)
2. AEM/Injen CAI for non-rainy season

Now... wasn't that simple?

mrfixit687
11-20-2003, 12:00 AM
how to enjoy cai with out hydrolock, move to the people's republic of california

r3p00c
11-20-2003, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by Brettnyt
all this hydrolock talk has gotten me worried... I will be getting an AEM CAI in not too long... I have been practicing avoiding puddles... What about slush in the snow? Sometimes that is VERY tough to avoid... recommendations? We got our first snow last night... Its still hangin around too! Drove the EP in the snow for the first time this mornin... not much, but i was realizing how tough it was to avoid slush... what should I do?

brett... trust me, as long as you have your factory bumper and plastic splash guard in place, you'll be fine in all conditions. i installed my cai last year right before the bad snow hit here, and i was worried at first... but after driving 2 hours through blizzard like conditions, the filter was not even the least bit damp. just don't take that splash guard off, or run your car into a lake at WOT, and you'll be fine :)

CleanBlackSi02
11-21-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by raiyo
Ways to Avoid Hydrlock

1. eBay SRI for for rainy season (stock air box is to much trouble)
2. AEM/Injen CAI for non-rainy season

Now... wasn't that simple?
Comptech Ice Box.