PDA

View Full Version : tein basics question

team ERA 5
11-20-2003, 12:19 AM
do the basics come with aftermarket upper mounts? or do they use the stocks one....

another stupid question>> when i get them and i lower it like 2.25 just like my current neuspeeds>>>how long do u think the tein stuts will last if i dont drive hard? i can still blow aftermarket struts right??? strut newbie<<<:o

how much do tein pillow ball mounts run??? 200.00???

Civicvtec1ps
11-20-2003, 10:49 AM
tein basic does not come with upper mounts. you will need to use stock upper mount and bearings. Not sure about tein uppermount price. I will check later;)

team ERA 5
11-20-2003, 02:24 PM
hmmmm HONDA MAN said they come with aftermarket ones...he said everything in the front is tein even the uppermounts? but if u could find out how much the tein pillowballs that would be really helpful and greatly appreciated...because if i go tein i want everything tein not the oem stuff...i want the sound to gooo awaaaaaaayyyy.....thanks a lot man

Civicvtec1ps
11-20-2003, 02:29 PM
hmm are you sure tein basic come with uppper mounts? I know tein basic and ss for em2 (7thgen civics), does not come with upper mounts, I had tein ss , had to use stock upper mounts and bearing..Maybe tein basic that are made for ep3 does come with upper mounts.

bobdobbs
11-20-2003, 04:18 PM
Basics do NOT come with top-mounts.

Civicvtec1ps
11-20-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
Basics do NOT come with top-mounts.
Thought so. Wheres hondaman? Need confirm..Since he installed tein basic couple weeks ago.He even posted pictures while ago. I didnt see uppermounts..

HondaMan
11-20-2003, 08:40 PM
Ugh, let me try to clear this up!

The Tein Basics use the OEM upper mount...the special Tein Pillowball Upper Mounts do not work with the Basics, but they do work with the Flex system.

I misunderstood team ERA 5's PMs...so you do use the OEM upper mount but not the OEM spring seat/hat (that's what I thought you were talking about).

http://tein.com/products.html

Tein Basics Install Manual (.pdf file) (http://tein.com/ti/inst/la22u.pdf)

See this image from the Tein instructions for more detail:

andy
11-20-2003, 08:42 PM
Where do the Tein SS's fit in this coilover love triange? (i.e.
can you use the upper mounts for the Flex with the SS set)

HondaMan
11-20-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by team ERA 5
hmmmm HONDA MAN said they come with aftermarket ones...he said everything in the front is tein even the uppermounts? but if u could find out how much the tein pillowballs that would be really helpful and greatly appreciated...because if i go tein i want everything tein not the oem stuff...i want the sound to gooo awaaaaaaayyyy.....thanks a lot man

The OEM upper mounts with the front Tein Basic's strut assemblies will not make NOT make a whisper. You just have to lube the rear shock dust covers to get them to be noise free.

FYI: the Tein Pillowball Upper Mounts cost approx. $300 and can only be used with the Tein Flex system which costs about $1700. The Tein Basics cost approx. $900 and the Pillowball upper mounts currently are NOT designed to be used with the Basics.

I hope this clears things up! :)

HondaMan
11-20-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by andy
Where do the Tein SS's fit in this coilover love triange? (i.e.
can you use the upper mounts for the Flex with the SS set)

No, from what I understand the Tein SS's are not designed for the EP3...just the Basic and Flex systems are currently designed for the EP3.

See www.tein.com for more details.

bobdobbs
11-20-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by HondaMan
No, from what I understand the Tein SS's are not designed for the EP3...just the Basic and Flex systems are currently designed for the EP3.

That's right, they don't make a specific application, but you can use the EM2 SS coilovers application by enlargening the front lower bolt holes from 14mm to 16mm. The springs and strut bodies are otherwise the same as the EP3 Basic application. The shocks are dampening-adjustable, though. That's the only difference.

If you want to use the Teins and set them to max-drop (like I have) you have to tighten the shock setting to almost fully-hard to keep your car from being bouncy. The Basics and SS are at the softest spring setting at full-drop. With the shorter shock travel, you have to tighten them up to get them to do their job, so the adjustable dampers are worthwhile.

Blackapino85
11-20-2003, 10:41 PM
so it doesnt look like the creaking sound is gonna go away for you jim.:'(

team ERA 5
11-21-2003, 12:55 AM
it will go away im determined...

im going to buy the tein basics then by new oem base mount...and bearing... people say that might be the problem and might be busted....so yea i dont know...i gotta go now ill talk to u later joshua...:) ...

bobdobbs
11-21-2003, 01:09 AM
It's most likely the bearings. If I were you, I'd get two new ones. They're about 15 bucks each. You probably don't need new uppermounts; they're pretty sturdy and should last years. And at about 25 bucks each, that's 50 extra bucks you probably don't need to spend.

team ERA 5
11-21-2003, 01:46 AM
thanks a lot bobdobbs....ill probably just buy the bearing then...anyone kno the part number

bobdobbs
11-21-2003, 01:57 AM
:D

HondaMan
11-21-2003, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by team ERA 5
it will go away im determined...

im going to buy the tein basics then by new oem base mount...and bearing... people say that might be the problem and might be busted....so yea i dont know...i gotta go now ill talk to u later joshua...:) ...

What makes you & your friend Joshua think that it will still make noises? I said mine are noise free i.e. they will NOT make a whisper in the front. Getting that bearing is probably not needed...I even thought about doing that and ended up not getting new ones and everything is fine, but if it makes you feel better go for it.

Blackapino85
11-21-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by HondaMan
What makes you & your friend Joshua think that it will still make noises? I said mine are noise free i.e. they will NOT make a whisper in the front. Getting that bearing is probably not needed...I even thought about doing that and ended up not getting new ones and everything is fine, but if it makes you feel better go for it.

true, we just have crappy springs. i havent had any problems but he's getting all sorts of noises so he wants to go all out. just for peace of mind. imma get the basics too so he's gonna be the guinea pig around here.:D