PDA

View Full Version : A2 vs A3 (our engines do NOT suck)

S800Racer
11-20-2003, 01:36 PM
I am in a unique position to evaluate the A2 vs. A3. I just completed a swap installing the A2 in my EP and retaining the EP 5-spd. I chose to keep the 5 spd b/c I don't do 1/4 mile stuff and don't mind if the car does not have the best acceleration #'s and the 5spd means less shifting in everyday traffic.

The A3 has excellent torque and throttle response. Up to 6,000rpm it is better than the A2. I don't know what the numbers are but the A3 feels more responsive than the A2. Of course the A2 has the high rpm vtec surge from 6,000 to 8,000rpm.

6spd vs 5spd: The A2 really needs the 6spd to make up for its lack of responsiveness below 6,000rpm and also to keep it in vtec when you want to use all 200+hp

My next mod has to be Hondata for the A2 as that will boost low and mid-range torque as well as lower the vtec point to 5200rpm which will allow me to stay in vtec with my 5spd tranny.

So if you are driving your A3 and wondering what you are missing, the answer is nothing below 6,000rpm. The A3 is as good or better than the A2 for everyday driving when you are not winding it out to max rpm.

sniperSI
11-20-2003, 01:39 PM
Sweet, preach the word brotha!

Was it a pretty stright forward swap?

DavidT
11-20-2003, 01:44 PM
Does that mean you got a 6-spd tranny from the S motor laying around? Wanna sell? If so PM me.

If you look at the dyno charts @ Comptech, the A3 makes more HP and torque than the A2 until 6k which is about where the A2's VTEC switches over ;) I think for boost, the A3 is the better canidate but for N/A gotta have the A2 man.

SiR_YO
11-20-2003, 01:45 PM
so if I can find a a2 for the right price should do the swap? or would it be better in the long run if I saved up for a k20a cuz there's tons more potential??

S800Racer
11-21-2003, 09:02 AM
Sniper: It's obscenely straightforward. Print out the directions at the Hybrid Honda site, it gives a very good step by step guide. I did it in about 2 days with a friend helping. I don't have a fancy collection of tools - just basic stuff. I did it in my garage with an engine hoist.

David: Sorry the 6spd is sold & gone to live in a K24 turbo. I think if I did it over again, I would keep the 6spd but we'll see how it works after Hondata.

SiR YO: I don't know if there is that much more potential in the K20A. On the other hand, if you buy an A2 and it eats at you that you don' t have the K20A - then save up, get the K20A and be happy.