PDA

View Full Version : jdm style or usdm style intakes?

rs_1101
11-20-2003, 03:05 PM
alright to start im going to define the difference as i see it:

jdm style intakes seem to use a design that retains the stock airbox qualities for the ep. i.e. the mugen box and the spoon drop in. also ive noted that comptech has a similar design in its icebox. its interesting to note that these intakes utilize carbon fiber and abs.

these intakes give modest gains, but retain excellent throttle response because the filter remains near the motor, so pressure loss is avoided. im also noticing the gruppe-m intake.. maybe i should make a 3rd category for euro? gruppe-m intake.. (scroll down) (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24322&perpage=15&pagenumber=2)

the usdm style seems to favor long, chrome intakes with the filter located at the entryway. while these intakes (aem) seem to offer the biggest peak gains, due to the construction materials, and the distance from the motor to the filter, offer less throttle response and create unstable power due to resonance and sudden psi changes depending on throttle position. also chrome construction allows for high heat transfer, heating up the intake and incoming air.
aem seems to have noticed the resonance factor, but instead of cancelling it, they embrace it with the new v2, by utilizing multiple tube lengths to generate resonance and increase intake psi.

im wondering which you guys prefer either one, and any comments?

ADAMnQuickCIVIC
11-20-2003, 03:55 PM
I havent seen any proof that one is better than the other.
Dyno results will not be conclusive because it does not factor in conditions you'd actually see on the street (ie: hood closed and air flow).
The only way to test intake vs. intake would be at a drag strip on the same day/conditions, but even then, the difference will probably be so negligible that human error would nullify any "conclusion" that one intake outperformed the other.

IMO, chose the design that YOU prefer and can afford.

DavidT
11-20-2003, 04:04 PM
JDM intakes are housed like that because you can't run an open element filter on the Japanese race tracks that's why the higher end manufacturers from Japan (Mugen, Spoon, etc) all used a form of the stock box.

USDM likes open element filters because...I dunno why. It's cool I guess. I'm personally happy with a Hondata modded box and a Comptech foam filter...kinda like a Spoon setup for much cheaper.

Tenacious G
11-20-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by ADAMnQuickCIVIC
IMO, chose the design that YOU prefer and can afford.

werd ... the whole AEM vs. Injen vs. all debate has been played out.

eurosteez
11-20-2003, 04:23 PM
I kept stock box, drilled holes in the snorkel and did the hondata mod with K&N filter. I Think its about as free flowing as you can get without losing throttle response. sounds a little deeper than stock too.

eurosteez
11-20-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by DavidT

I'm personally happy with a Hondata modded box and a Comptech foam filter...kinda like a Spoon setup for much cheaper.

Hey where did you get the comptech foam filter? I can't find it listed on their website?

rs_1101
11-20-2003, 04:37 PM
ive got the hondata and comptech setup right now too.. it rocks. i honestly dont think id even want anything else under my hood, xept maybe a cold air scoop. im gonna buy some c/f and work on fabricating one. ill prolly be happy to sell some to ephatchers too for just about what it costs me to make one.. just want publicity.!!

u have to search for the drop in.. hard to find.

thanks for replies i really wanted to see a real discussion in the engine forum. i cant wait till the real gearheads get here..

DavidT
11-22-2003, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by eurosteez
Hey where did you get the comptech foam filter? I can't find it listed on their website?

The Comptech foam filter is listed under the RSX junk instead of the Civic's junk. Here's a link directly to the filter: http://solar.innercite.com/comptech/310010.html

In a few days I will do a full writeup and review of the Hondata/Comptech setup vs. the Ebay short ram, Comptech Icebox and Injen CAI. I just need to take a few pics and find some time ;)

f4hondaphile
11-23-2003, 02:12 PM
Also, if you want the comptech filter, imotorgear.com has the lowest price I've seen at 53.95 and they have the cleaner and oil for 10.40. If there's something else you're buying that'll get it over the $75 threshold you get free shipping too.

eurosteez
11-23-2003, 08:57 PM
thanks.:)

AkronSi
11-26-2003, 12:47 PM
This has me thinking of just getting a higher flowoing filter and doing the hondata mod. Does anyone have any opinions on the K&N replacement vs. the Comptech foam filter?

Pluses or minuses of each.

Thanks.

rs_1101
11-26-2003, 01:38 PM
i have comptech.. if i ever get bored ill try the k&n one

eurosteez
11-26-2003, 07:59 PM
I have K&N filter with hondata mod. It works really well. The only reason I want a foam filter is cuz I think they trap more particles than cotton gauze ones.

rs_1101
11-27-2003, 12:01 AM
i was wondering the converse of that statement.. if the k&n might flow betterer

silver
11-27-2003, 03:57 AM
well like what was said it's kinda up to personal preference and what you want your car to do. Each intake has it's plus and minus. Are you looking for low end or high end? Style or performance. It's kinda like this. You can buy a header that will actually hurt your peak hp, but will shift the powerband into a position that will allow you to use that power more due to your driving style. There are open filter jdm products available if i remember correctly, j's racing is one of them for the EG, EK, and DC2.

In regards to turbulence, surface turbulence in the intake charge can mix the air and fuel better. A better mix will burn quicker than a bad mix giving better fuel economy, efficient combustion, and less carbon buildup.

the verdict: both jdm and usdm intakes are engineered to make gains, they have their own policies and philosophies to follow so you'll never get the same result from different intakes. go with your style and ened.

AkronSi
12-01-2003, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the replys.

I assume that any difference between the K&N and the Comptech will be negligable. I have a place to start though.