PDA

View Full Version : Intake Poll

BluePearl03Si
11-21-2003, 07:55 PM
So many intakes, each promising one thing or another. Ranging from E-Bay bargin basement to expensive Ice Boxes.

But in the end, what's your favorite?

Lucid Moments
11-21-2003, 09:13 PM
I've got the AEM CAI, but that was because I found it cheap used from a member here:cool: The difference between them probably boils down to personal preference. The only advantage I know of is that with the Comptech icebox you get cold air and don't have to worry about hydrolock:p

SiR_d1
11-21-2003, 09:22 PM
I wanna get the V2, so if anyone wants to buy my Typhoon let me know;)

SiR_d1
11-21-2003, 09:22 PM
I fogot to mention that the Typhoon is a really good exhaust:D

So for now, it gets my vote

EDIT: good intake

Rey
11-21-2003, 09:48 PM
You mean intake :)

SiR_d1
11-21-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Rey
You mean intake :)

lol:D
my bad

oldschoolimport
11-21-2003, 10:33 PM
I had a k&n laying around. so I got a 4 inch long piece of stainless tubing, put the cone on one end and the other in the factory intake tube and tightened the clamp. I also had a k&n crankcase filter just to put over the hole in the valvecover to keep it from being open. built a small bracket to hold it all together. all in all, I like my free intake. :D

DavidT
11-22-2003, 05:38 AM
What about the Hondata box with foam filter intake? :D

STP03BlueSI
11-22-2003, 07:14 AM
I love my Injen SRI(purchased it from a fellow member).:blushm: :smilem:

chibianh
11-22-2003, 05:31 PM
what if the stock intake is my favorite intake? I can't vote for it in the poll.. that's discrimination! :P

BluePearl03Si
11-22-2003, 05:55 PM
The poll items are limted to ten, I would of added all choices had I had a chance.

I could of put an other option though and removed one of them, but I dunno...

myeverlovinsir
11-22-2003, 06:22 PM
This post is redundant. I still say AEM CAI!

redronin22
01-05-2004, 08:01 PM
injen cai

Spent198
01-10-2004, 10:17 PM
I have the AEM CAI but the install was a pain in the ass. Not only did I have to drill my own O2 sensor, but there is no washer bottle included. My vote goes for the Injen CAI. ;)

raiyo
01-10-2004, 10:59 PM
If money isn't an issue, I would go for an AEM V2 if the gain is the same or above the Icebox. Acouple of reasons, first off, I don't like CAI anymore. People been saying your filter will be dry since it is covered by the bumper/fender liner. Not so true true. There is still some space for water to go to the filter. I drove like less than 1/4 mile or so, from the back of my house to the front. It was rainy hard alittle earlier that day, so lots of puddles all over, nothing major like floods. I tooked out the OEM bumper to remove the intake in my garage. I was chicken shit about floods, so I removed it. When I tooked off the bumper, I saw water pebbles all over the inside of the bumper. Touched the filter, it was moist, but not soaken wet. Took out the filter and touch the inside of the tubing, it was moist. Touch the other end of the tube, it was dry. I understand the filter needs to be submerged in water to be locked. For once, I perfer dry over wet. :confused: So that's my story about CAI. Secondly, you get more room to work with under the hood. I would go for the Icebox, but it takes up to much room. Changing the V2 filter would be easier than Stock/Icebox when you have a Front Strut Bar.

SiR_d1
01-11-2004, 12:19 AM
Im thinking about getting the ICEBOX lately, but if only SiR_yo would get back to me with a price

rook
01-12-2004, 10:32 AM
V2 on and love it.

rook

dofu
01-13-2004, 04:40 AM
eh... you guys do kno that we only talkin bout an intake, right? anywhere around 2 bills retail is wastin money in my eyes. aem cai gets my vote for its power gains for about a bill.

dofu
01-13-2004, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by Spent198
I have the AEM CAI but the install was a pain in the ass. Not only did I have to drill my own O2 sensor, but there is no washer bottle included.

you mean it didnt have a grommet for the o2 sensor

ecsahs3
02-08-2004, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by dofu
eh... you guys do kno that we only talkin bout an intake, right? anywhere around 2 bills retail is wastin money in my eyes. aem cai gets my vote for its power gains for about a bill.

I agree man. That's a lot of freakin' money for an intake. Especially since tov dyno'd it and it only put down and additional 5whp and there was a dip in torque. Unless I read it wrong.

Gearhead Geek
02-08-2004, 11:16 AM
Typhoon for me. Only cost me about $150 when I got it a year ago, sounds great, definate power gain, comes w/an awesome filter, and so far I've yet to see anything (*cough*dyno numbers*cough*) that prove a CAI really does produce more power than an SRI on our cars.

EP33
02-09-2004, 04:05 PM
Stock, K&N Typhoon, and currently running Icebox with a K&N filter inside of it. I have a Temp "gauge" sensor on the intake and on a cool WINTER night the air temp is about 50 degrees, and power is best. On a summer day it's about 125 degrees, and power sucks.

ep3k20a03
02-19-2004, 03:44 PM
Definitely the AEM V2!! Makes more horsepower at the upper portion of the power band and decent amount power throughout the range. I heard you lose torque in the mid section of the powerband...not really sure about that though.:confused:

boostedsi0813
02-23-2004, 04:12 AM
The true potential of the K20A3 doesn't shine through till all three mods are on(intake/header/exhaust). My first mod was an AEM SRI, and I loved it. The downfall was that the peppyness was gone after the filter got heat soaked. Other than that, it gave me really good throttle response, great acceleration from 30mph to 75mph, and an incredible sound. But on the downfall, without the other mods, I could really feel everything choking up top. The header made the acceleration smoother, and pushed the speedo good to 110mph. The cat-bac completed the picture, and gave it a good run through to redline with no intent of slowing down.

A few months back, I came across an Ingen CAI for a price I couldn't say no to. After putting it on, it was a completely different world. Unlike the SRI, it pulls strong from as low as 2000rpm, and also improves the top-end tramendously. No power is lost from heat soak too.

I'm a big AEM fan, but Ingen clearly made the better design on the CAI. The AEM makes the unfortunate mistake of running staight down touching some hot hoses(heat is what we're trying to get away from). The Ingen moves the fuse box and goes out of the way for a good reason. A very nowlegable friend told me that the Ingen CAI was getting the same and sometime better numbers than the V2.

My vote goes to Ingen on this one. Both CAI's will out perform the SRI's any day of the week though.

boostedsi0813
02-23-2004, 04:33 AM
Unless you plan on completely submerging the filter in water, or put a aftermarket bumper thats very open, don't worry about the H2O issue. One smart guy on the site with a CAI and a buddyclub body kit decided to drive in some rainy weather. He put his motor into hydro-lock, and made the motor go boom. Thats how I heard it, and I think he made the best of the situation and did a K20A2 swap. The stock bumper keeps the filter very hidden from the elements that you fear. A couple of us here in San Antonio have CAI's, and have no problem. I've driven through some nasty weather, pulled straigh into my garage not wasting any time, pulled the filter off, and found that the it was as dry as it could be. The induction force isn't strong enough to suck up a couple of dropplets that might hit the filter, and make it travel all the way through the pipe to the motor.

On a side note, the K&N filter with the indented filter at the top has been showing 2-3wph more than both the Ingen and AEM filters on both CAI designs. It probably sounds a little different. I think it's less expensive than the AEM and Ingen replacement filters too.

k20hatch
05-27-2004, 06:54 PM
i have always been in favor for short rams for some reason. I really like the new aem v2 intake! Very nice!

FattyMcJ
06-25-2004, 01:07 AM
The true potential of the K20A3 doesn't shine through till all three mods are on(intake/header/exhaust). My first mod was an AEM SRI, and I loved it. The downfall was that the peppyness was gone after the filter got heat soaked. Other than that, it gave me really good throttle response, great acceleration from 30mph to 75mph, and an incredible sound. But on the downfall, without the other mods, I could really feel everything choking up top. The header made the acceleration smoother, and pushed the speedo good to 110mph. The cat-bac completed the picture, and gave it a good run through to redline with no intent of slowing down.

A few months back, I came across an Ingen CAI for a price I couldn't say no to. After putting it on, it was a completely different world. Unlike the SRI, it pulls strong from as low as 2000rpm, and also improves the top-end tramendously. No power is lost from heat soak too.

I'm a big AEM fan, but Ingen clearly made the better design on the CAI. The AEM makes the unfortunate mistake of running staight down touching some hot hoses(heat is what we're trying to get away from). The Ingen moves the fuse box and goes out of the way for a good reason. A very nowlegable friend told me that the Ingen CAI was getting the same and sometime better numbers than the V2.

My vote goes to Ingen on this one. Both CAI's will out perform the SRI's any day of the week though.

Digging up an OLD thread....*it's called SEARCHING, lol*

But DAMN.....this is GREAT info!!! For a n00b to the EP3's....this is JUST what I needed....THANKS MAN!!! :D

Xtreme Racer
06-25-2004, 08:20 AM
Digging up an OLD thread....*it's called SEARCHING, lol*

But DAMN.....this is GREAT info!!! For a n00b to the EP3's....this is JUST what I needed....THANKS MAN!!! :D

Dude.....what did I tell you?

Goose487
06-25-2004, 03:58 PM
whats the difference between a v2 aem intake and say a cai aem intake

FattyMcJ
06-25-2004, 11:00 PM
Dude.....what did I tell you?

I know, I know...I'm prolly gonna get the V2...but it's STILL good info!!!

audomatik
06-25-2004, 11:09 PM
I love my DC CAI!!! Its neat and its loud. People fear the DC CAI!!!

Civicvtec1ps
06-25-2004, 11:17 PM
AEM CAI > INJEN SRI

Aem cai performs soo much better compare to my old injen sri.
:)

krazichinaman
06-26-2004, 03:21 AM
Well im still thinking of getting the Injen SRI but doesnt the heat sheild help with the heat soak problem?

FattyMcJ
06-28-2004, 09:01 PM
Well im still thinking of getting the Injen SRI but doesnt the heat sheild help with the heat soak problem?

Kinda...

The metal heat sheild only helps to a certain degree. Metal gets hot, and holds the heat...so you might want to consider something else. But I honestly don't know anyone that has an Injen SRI...so I'm just guessing here. :D

SiR Phil
06-30-2004, 09:19 AM
REALLY good info, in fact. I'm glad to hear about the stock bumper being a non-issue for CAI or V2, because I had my concerns. Still need more info on this Comptech Icebox, though. Hmm...

Also, anyone else here not only have to worry about rain, but snow? Is it of any concern, or not (I have the stock bumper)

chunky
06-30-2004, 11:22 PM
I love my DC CAI!!! Its neat and its loud. People fear the DC CAI!!!

loud eh?

loud like my intake?

http://www.hondalife.com/~chunky/vids/chunky_intake.wmv
video is 16:9, use the divx player and set the aspect ratio to 16:9 to get the proper view. windows media player will squish it into the standard 4:3

after 2nd gear the pitch changes b/c the mic's wind cancellation kicks in.

It's ungodly loud when passing under bridges or when driving through a street lined closely with houses or trees.

But I guess the best part about my intake is that it was designed by me, and no one else will have one like it. of course, gaining 7hp on the dyno from 4500rpm on up (peak gains are in the double digits) is nice. :)

BaNAnABoAt689
07-01-2004, 01:37 AM
AEM CAI all the way..

-kevin

Scatman
07-02-2004, 01:10 PM
i have the V2 and i love it.

El Mocha King
07-05-2004, 02:26 AM
I say injen cia. I've seen first hand how the aem intake hits the radiatior hose on its way down to the bumper. Plus it leaves the engine bay naked. I just bought an injen cia and it should be here tuesday. I'll have more info then.

eprama
07-07-2004, 12:08 AM
post your finished install i fyou dont mind, ima get mines soon too but im still forking short on funds....anyone hear of any gb's on the injen cai?