PDA

View Full Version : DIY: Rear Wiper Modification

02civicSI
11-21-2003, 10:54 PM
I was reading through some forums and found something that caught my eye. It was a modification to take off the rear wiper blade. I was excited to read the post. It turns out that the post didnt tell us how to do it. Well I went and ordered the parts from San Leandro Honda http://www.slhondaparts.com/browse.asp

Well the parts that I ordered are listed below as well as the prices and quantity:

Qty Part Number Description Price
1 90301-SR3-000 NUT, RR. (6MM) $15.03
1 90156-SH3-000 BOLT-WASHER (6X24) $0.12
2 52621-SB2-004 WASHER, RR. $6.04

Tax $1.75
Shipping $7.63
Total $30.57

Now on to the tools you will need:

Ratchet with 10mm socket (or 10mm wrench will be fine)
phillips head screwdriver
adjustable wrench (dont know exact name but you know what im talking about)

Step #1 Open up the hatch and take out the inserts located on the inside of the hatch. They use those plastic clips to hold them in place. For the last piece you must use your Phillips head screwdriver and unscrew the screw that is located in the handle.

http://members.cox.net/toymachne/step1.jpg

http://members.cox.net/toymachne/step2a.jpg

http://members.cox.net/toymachne/step2b.jpg

Step#2 Now take off the hose that carries the wiper fluid and all I did was tie it off really tight. I will have to do something about this later but for now just tie it off. Also you will need to take off the wires that give the wiper power. Just unclip the harness.

http://members.cox.net/toymachne/step3.jpg

Step#3 Now look at the top side of your hatch and take the little cover where the squirter is housed. It swings up and down and you can also take it off. Now take off that nut.

Step#4 Now with a little bit of force twist off the wiper blade. It should come off pretty easily. Now take off that little black piece. Take your adjustable wrench and take off that large nut. Once that is off Go back to the underside of your hatch.

http://members.cox.net/toymachne/step4a.jpg

Step#5 Now you have to take off 3 nuts and bolts. They are black and are holding the wiper mechanism in place. Once you are done with that slowly ease the wiper mechanism off. Leave the black rubber piece there. You have to reuse it.

Step#6 Ok now you have to take the entire mechanism off. On to the installation of the pieces you ordered. First take the black piece and put it on the top side of the hole.

http://members.cox.net/toymachne/step5.jpg

Step#7 Go back to the underside of your hatch and place the two large washers on there and then put that bolt and washer on. Once you have it tight you are done installing the mechanism.

http://members.cox.net/toymachne/step6a.jpg

http://members.cox.net/toymachne/step6b.jpg

Step#8 Now all you have to do is to put everything back together. Easy huh.

http://members.cox.net/toymachne/finished.jpg

Driftin SI
11-22-2003, 12:00 AM
good mod for guys that don't use the rear wiper, great write up:)

Civicvtec1ps
11-22-2003, 12:32 AM
Nice DIY. but i use rear wiper all the time ;)
Looks alot clean though.

chubbychu
11-22-2003, 12:40 AM
not bad at all...too bad it cost 30 bucks

raiyo
11-22-2003, 02:15 AM
nice DIY, looks clean. to bad i use my wiper else i would do it.

Peking
11-22-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by raiyo
nice DIY, looks clean. to bad i use my wiper else i would do it.

Yeah, looks much better than I thought it would. I use my rear wiper too.

mhx
11-22-2003, 12:53 PM
kinda pointless.. the window always gets water on it.. its there a for a reason.. so we can use it :0

02civicSI
11-22-2003, 01:36 PM
heres a couple reasons why i got rid of it:

(a) the time came to change my rear wiper a month back and when i went to go and find a replacement i couldnt find in at napa. so i went to honda. they dont have them in stock you have to special order them. when you order them from honda you have to order the entire arm. that costs some where around $25. so i said f that and went to napa and asked them. same thing. around $25. so i modified one to fit but it doesnt wipe very well...so i searched around for something different.

(b) i dont use it. i understand needing it if i had to use it.

(c) something different and i like the way it turned out.

SmoothOperator
11-22-2003, 02:11 PM
I think it looks great man. Very clean looking, and a great write up too!

andy
11-22-2003, 07:36 PM
Excellent DIY. I also use the rear wiper too much to get rid of it,
but this is an option for those who don't.

My biggest question, though, is how much did everything you took out
weigh?

David K.
11-22-2003, 08:32 PM
$25.00 to replace or $30.00 to remove; that's funny. Good write-up though, and I do like the way it looks. I use my rear wiper too much to get rid of it, unfortunately.

02civicSI
11-22-2003, 08:46 PM
weight...hmm...i would say about 8-10 lbs

HondaMan
11-22-2003, 08:50 PM
Great DIY, especially if you live in SoCal where that wiper isn't needed much if at all! ;)

glw
11-22-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by HondaMan
Great DIY, especially if you live in SoCal where that wiper isn't needed much if at all! ;) hondaman gets it right. here is socal we don't use the wipers much... just put a little rain-x on the glass and your good to go! i'm gonna order the parts and shave off the weight, myself... if only i could lose 8-10 lbs that easy! :p

HondaMan
11-22-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by glw
hondaman gets it right. here is socal we don't use the wipers much... just put a little rain-x on the glass and your good to go! i'm gonna order the parts and shave off the weight, myself... if only i could lose 8-10 lbs that easy! :p

Thanks and I know what you mean about the weight loss! :D

chubbychu
11-23-2003, 01:44 AM
werid...i found replacements for my rear wiper, its a little wirid but it fits. only 8 bucks.

oldschoolimport
11-23-2003, 01:50 AM
if you have less that 12,000 miles, tear the wiper (rubber part) and go to honda. they will replace wipers for 12months/12k miles. got mine last week along with the e-brake button that was peeling.:D

Me ep3
11-23-2003, 08:21 PM
Nice diy :D

TrippZ
11-24-2003, 04:29 PM
nice! definately a mod i'll be doing!

HgSi
12-07-2003, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by glw
hondaman gets it right. here is socal we don't use the wipers much... just put a little rain-x on the glass and your good to go! i'm gonna order the parts and shave off the weight, myself... if only i could lose 8-10 lbs that easy! :p

Does RainX really work? I see it in Pep Boys all the time, but I always thought it was one of those scam products, so I never tried it. Kind of like those engine enhancers: "pour this in your gas tank and have twice the power" or whatever.

RacingCivicSi02
12-07-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by HgSi
Does RainX really work? I see it in Pep Boys all the time, but I always thought it was one of those scam products, so I never tried it. Kind of like those engine enhancers: "pour this in your gas tank and have twice the power" or whatever.

RainX really does work. The water just slides off the windows. Actually helps when your drying off the car when you finish washing it.

oogy-boogy
12-07-2003, 01:56 PM
Nice mod and great write up......

DarkHatch
12-07-2003, 01:59 PM
What section did you find these parts in on the website? Thanx;)

DarkHatch
12-07-2003, 02:24 PM
Found'em and just ordered them thanx for the post;)

mobilesuit02
12-11-2003, 10:18 PM
I've always wanted to remove that useless eyesore since the day I got my 02 si.

Really appreciate the info.

Thanx.

:m:

VividDreams
12-12-2003, 06:30 PM
i agree 25 bucks for a rear wiper is pretty much, but, the style honda used(with the full plastic housing) looks a lot cleaner than the some of the ones on lesser cars like the ZX3, etc. which are just a black steel arm

btw, about rain-x:

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128505 (7thGenCivic.com Review: Rain-X Windshield Washer Wipers)

near the bottom I make sort of a Public Service Announcement that i think everyone should know

rs_1101
12-18-2003, 07:08 PM
THATZ AWESOME.

not just cuz it looks fly, but now u have a squirter for an intecooler sprayer.

02civicSI
12-19-2003, 08:02 PM
got my write up put on k-series.com dont thank me thank the ones that put the information out there like the part numbers. i just put it all together for those that were interested.

Eee Pee
01-07-2004, 06:36 PM
Holy Moly!!!

I actually had to use a Sawzall to cut my wiper arm off!!

But I got it.

Thanks for the write-up.

raiyo
01-07-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by 02civicSI
heres a couple reasons why i got rid of it:

(a) the time came to change my rear wiper a month back and when i went to go and find a replacement i couldnt find in at napa. so i went to honda. they dont have them in stock you have to special order them. when you order them from honda you have to order the entire arm. that costs some where around $25. so i said f that and went to napa and asked them. same thing. around $25. so i modified one to fit but it doesnt wipe very well...so i searched around for something different.

(b) i dont use it. i understand needing it if i had to use it.

(c) something different and i like the way it turned out.

only cost me 11.50 for the entire rear arm from dealer. dunno why it cost u 25.00. cost me alittle less than 25.00 for both front blades and the rear arm.

02civicSI
01-07-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by raiyo
only cost me 11.50 for the entire rear arm from dealer. dunno why it cost u 25.00. cost me alittle less than 25.00 for both front blades and the rear arm.

thats because my local dealer jacks up their prices.i can buy the parts online for the same price as you but then i have to deal with the shipping charges.

chubbychu
01-12-2004, 12:02 AM
hey, have you found out schematics for where the washer fluid comes from?

im thinking, if im gonna do this, im gonna take all other useless parts out. know what i mean?

02civicSI
01-12-2004, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si

im thinking, if im gonna do this, im gonna take all other useless parts out. know what i mean?

yea i know what ya mean. i dont have any manuals or books that shows the layout of the hose. it would be great if i could get one of those manuals in .pdf format but i guess nobody wants to share.

glw
01-12-2004, 09:42 AM

good luck... the hose runs up the hatch and down into the c-pillar (on drivers side) across and behind the rear panel and to the door jamb. then it shoots across the floor to the passenger side door jamb and then towards the dash (under the glovebox) and to the front wheel well... sounds like a lot of work for minimal gain. i'm just gonna plug (with a small screw, maybe?) and tie that little hose off in the hatch...

ordered the parts on sat - they'll be in on tueday or wednesday.

CrazyLowEp3
02-11-2004, 10:02 PM
Thanx for the DIY helped out alot i have been meaning to get rid of my wiper since i repainted my car ordered everything and looks GREAT SO DAMN Clean !
Thanx CrazyLow

chubbychu
02-11-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by glw
good luck... the hose runs up the hatch and down into the c-pillar (on drivers side) across and behind the rear panel and to the door jamb. then it shoots across the floor to the passenger side door jamb and then towards the dash (under the glovebox) and to the front wheel well... sounds like a lot of work for minimal gain. i'm just gonna plug (with a small screw, maybe?) and tie that little hose off in the hatch...

ordered the parts on sat - they'll be in on tueday or wednesday.

hmm....

Exit117K20
02-16-2004, 10:09 PM
That looks GREAT!...Is there any chance you could take another pic a little further away from looking right at the back of the car? I wanna get a broader look at it.

02civicSI
02-16-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Exit117K20
That looks GREAT!...Is there any chance you could take another pic a little further away from looking right at the back of the car? I wanna get a broader look at it.

yea, just look at my members, rides at CLICK HERE (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30357)

Exit117K20
02-16-2004, 11:00 PM
Bro I have to say your car is Tight. I love the Wiper mod. Sorry about all the questions, but as you can seei am new here. The Magnaflow exhaust looks so good, how do you like the preformance/sound?
P/S thanks for the link to you readers rides site.

chubbychu
02-17-2004, 12:40 AM
how come a single nut can cost so much?

glw
02-21-2004, 02:44 PM
ok... i finally got around to doing this mod and i'm stuck at removing the wiper arm. the diy says "with some force twist".

well with quite a bit of force i'm twisting counterclockwise and clockwise and neither is working. i've taken off the cap and nut but the arm just doesn't seem to want to budge. i've even sprayed wd40 down the bolt holding the arm.

does anyone have some advice?

edit: ok, rocking it worked. i'll take some pictures because it seems that twisting is the wrong thing to do... you'll strip the teeth the wiper arm... also you will need to reuse the rubber piece that protects the window...

edit2: ok, here goes.

wiper arm post showing teeth - to remove arm rock arm base (i also used wd40) and wiggle to get it to pop off.
http://sourcecodegeeks.com/public/civic/rearwiper_post.jpg

i tied off my squirter hose wrapping the threads of a metal screw a couple of times before inserting it into the hose. then i used 2 zip ties pulling them tight against the screw threads. i then tucked it into the hatch and zip tied it to itself (red zip tie).
http://sourcecodegeeks.com/public/civic/rearwiper_squirter.jpg

i also bent the connector back around and zip tied it to itself.
http://sourcecodegeeks.com/public/civic/rearwiper_connector.jpg

and here is a shot of the rubber thing under that nut cap thingee.
http://sourcecodegeeks.com/public/civic/rearwiper_done_closeup.jpg

and here it is done...
http://sourcecodegeeks.com/public/civic/rearwiper_done.jpg

thanks for the diy! it really helps in getting the project done!

glw
02-21-2004, 02:45 PM
how come a single nut can cost so much?

the nut is actually a cap with a nut type thing molded into the back.

chubbychu
02-21-2004, 03:17 PM
is this the same one they are doing over at clubrsx? they are selling a "kit" for 15 bucks. seems a lot cheaper than 30. =o(

Sirone
07-20-2004, 09:33 PM
Ok... well I was attempting to do this mod today... following the instructions was quite simple... then I got to taking the actual wiper off... got the nut off easy... tried to get the wiper off, it would'nt budge, sprayed it with pb... re-read directions twice... tried to get it off and it would'nt budge... sprayed it with pb again... and again... took an hour break and then re-read the directions... sprayed it with pb once more, and attempted to remove it... still nothing... I go and eat some dinner after.. spraying it with(Guess what) Pb.. one more time... I come back.... give it a hefty twisting action and..

POP!
My back windshield is now shattered and until I vacuumed it for an hour.. all over my gutted rear portion of the ep :'(

I stood in shock for 5 minutes thinking... fuck that.. that did'nt just happen, its just hot outside I am seeing shit... but it did happen... luckily(Kind of I guess) the safety glass+5 percent tint combo kept it all in one peace for careful manuever into the trash can(Thankfully I managed to avoid scratching the fuck out of my paint...

Of course.. out of all my weight reduction mods... the rear window is the most gainful.. considering the thing must have weighed 60 lbs and all above the mid-level of the car.... on the down side.. I hope IT DOES'NT RAIN! :angel:

02civicSI
07-20-2004, 09:38 PM
Ok... well I was attempting to do this mod today... following the instructions was quite simple... then I got to taking the actual wiper off... got the nut off easy... tried to get the wiper off, it would'nt budge, sprayed it with pb... re-read directions twice... tried to get it off and it would'nt budge... sprayed it with pb again... and again... took an hour break and then re-read the directions... sprayed it with pb once more, and attempted to remove it... still nothing... I go and eat some dinner after.. spraying it with(Guess what) Pb.. one more time... I come back.... give it a hefty twisting action and..

POP!
My back windshield is now shattered and until I vacuumed it for an hour.. all over my gutted rear portion of the ep :'(

I stood in shock for 5 minutes thinking... fuck that.. that did'nt just happen, its just hot outside I am seeing shit... but it did happen... luckily(Kind of I guess) the safety glass+5 percent tint combo kept it all in one peace for careful manuever into the trash can(Thankfully I managed to avoid scratching the fuck out of my paint...

Of course.. out of all my weight reduction mods... the rear window is the most gainful.. considering the thing must have weighed 60 lbs and all above the mid-level of the car.... on the down side.. I hope IT DOES'NT RAIN! :angel:

oh man, sorry to hear that. i wonder why it didnt want to come off? you musta really pulled on that thing for you to shatter the window or our rear windows are just that weak. hope you get everything worked out.

Sirone
07-20-2004, 09:54 PM
oh man, sorry to hear that. i wonder why it didnt want to come off? you musta really pulled on that thing for you to shatter the window or our rear windows are just that weak. hope you get everything worked out.

Thanks.

Well.. the wiper looked a little rusted at first.. but after the 20 some odd shots of pb most of it was gone.. I mean I did'nt pull up at it, I tried to turn it as described, wiggle it back and forth... nothing worked... I am thinking lexan back window now... Hopefully I won't get raped.

dung
04-19-2008, 09:41 AM
pictures not working... anyone care up post pictures up again? need to delet my rear wipers.

thinkricky
06-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Anyone have pictures of this?

joshrube82
08-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Just some info from when I deleted my wiper blade because I never use it and I want to use the switch to power my underbody leds and external lights...

I did mine for like $3 worth of parts and reused some of the parts from removing the wiper. but so you know honda has a wiper delete plug thing for $33 on ebay that is a stock piece that plugs up the wiper hole rather then making your own I only made my own because it was super cheap rather then spending $33 but at some point i will probably get the one from honda.

all you need to do is reuse the big washers that come off the wiper and the rubber ring that fits into the window hole. and you need to get yourself some smaller washers and about a 2in screw just put it into the hole and tighten it up use locking nuts and tight it good on the inside it will squeeze against the rubber to make it seal. now to make it look not lame on the part you see from the outside i used a little bondo and made a rounded cap then painted it black

I know i didnt go into much actual detail and I will try to take a picture soon but if you read everything and you are use to modding things and you ahve all the material in front of you from taking the wiper apart you should be able to figure it out, now i had almost all of this stuff already in my shop so really it cost me nothing but shouldnt cost you mroe then a few dollars for everything if even that much other then maybe the bondo ifyou dont keep any around.

parkjehhyun
08-19-2008, 03:38 AM
this was a VERY easy mod and took about 30 minutes total. just make sure you're gentle with removing the rear blade and motor. follow the directions as posted and you should have no problems. thanks for the diy!

Twisted-X
03-20-2010, 11:46 AM
Just a bit of information that I keep bringing back the 'hatch for you guys.

Red box is where you take off the nut that holds the wiper arm on.
Blue box is where you *pull* the wiper arm off. There is no twisting involved. Twisting may actually make it easier to break the rear window. Its vertically threaded. Easiest way (if you still want your wiper arm) would be to use a 3 arm puller.

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu261/jimmyspiffy1986/RearWiperMotor1b.jpg