PDA

View Full Version : what to use to clean spilt soda?

Vivid-Cruz
11-21-2003, 11:52 PM
I spilt 16 oz of soda down the side of the seat on my way home today .. you guys have any recommendations on what to use to clean it extensively.. i spent a couple hours soaking it all up and cleaning it with a sponge.. i dont know what else to do to clean it more.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..
thanks

SiR Medic
11-22-2003, 07:39 AM
Did you Scotch-Guard your interior before this happened?

If you didn't... Yikes.

The worst thing about spilling pop is the sugar. When sugar heats up in the sun, it carmalizes, creating a brown, gooey stain.

Use cold water, hot water will cook the sugar and make it worse.

Wet it down and use a shop-vac or something to get as much out as you can.

Pray that bugs don't lay eggs in it.

Depending on the soda, you might have more troubles. Coke or Pepsi is very acidic and very high in sugar content. They also use coloring that will stain.

Less sweet soda, like ginger-ale or sprite, contain less sugar and a lot less coloring.

Good luck and when you do get it cleaned up... SCOTCH GUARD that thing! $10-$20 worth of the stuff is one of the best investments you can make!

BarracksSi
11-23-2003, 05:42 PM
Is it ever too late to Scotch-Gard seats?

I haven't spilled anything on mine, but I've been in them for well over a year now. If I clean them off, getting rid of dust & whatever skin oils are on them now, will they be ready for Scotch-Gard?

raiyo
11-23-2003, 07:52 PM
I've been looking around for some Scotch guard and cant find any? I've been looking in supermarkets and target, but no luck.

sai_iii
11-24-2003, 07:06 AM
what is scotch-guard?

AkronSi
11-24-2003, 07:46 AM
It's never too late. You might need to give your seats a good cleaning before you apply a fabric protectant. But, you should be fine.

Also worth checking out is 303 High Tech Fabric Guard. I use that on my mats. Works great.

Check out any of the big online detailing retailers like properautocare.com, premiumautocare.com, autopia-carcare.com or autogeek.net. They should all have something that would work fine. Or, do a google search. There are a ton of other places online that will have stuff too.

If you need a good fabric cleaner, try picking up some Folex. I've bought it from Target before. It's in a white bottle, it actually looks generic. But works good.

Kis4KEN
12-10-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Vivid-Cruz
I spilt 16 oz of soda down the side of the seat on my way home today .. you guys have any recommendations on what to use to clean it extensively.. i spent a couple hours soaking it all up and cleaning it with a sponge.. i dont know what else to do to clean it more.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..
thanks

some soda split on my seats during an accident... i'll never drink pepsi again. i got two spots on the seats. wut cleaning product would you guys use for suede? i was thinking shoe cleaner... how about that?

BarracksSi
12-11-2003, 03:46 PM
***ONLY THEORIES***

Since pop (okay, "soda") is water-based, it should clean up if you use more water and plenty of dry towels & rags to absorb the diluted water/pop residue mix.

What about adding Oxi-Clean? It's cleaned some heinous messes that I've made, but would it leave stains of its own?

This Alcantra pseudo-suede stuff is new to me. Hope that it lasts for several years, too.