PDA

View Full Version : The cold air has been retired for the winter

4g63dsm
11-22-2003, 01:09 PM
well a coule nights ago i took off the cold air. it was my originak plan to leave it on the whole year but it was really rainy and i kept driving and worrying about puddles, and its impossible to avoud those runts in the freeway that fill with water. putting the stock air box in wasn't that bad as getting the cai out of the hole. i bet the flang that hold it on a little.but i'm pretty satisfied with my decision cuz now i have no worryies,oh ya btw when i took off my filter the whole area behind the splash guard was wet. i dunno if the filter was wet or not cuz it always looks wet due the the oil. i'll glady sacrifice 5hp to eliminate the risk of ruining my engine.

Brettnyt
11-22-2003, 02:12 PM
When I get mine I will keep it on year round... I have heard that it really takes alot of water to hydrolock...

BluePearl03Si
11-23-2003, 04:21 PM
It has to be Submerged, not splashed on, to really Hydrolock.

Otherwise it's like sucking on a straw when you are out of coke and there is just ice, it makes alot of noise but you don't get anything sucked up.

If it fully submerges, it works just like a straw and sucks it up, but to the engine it's like you drinking antifreeze or diet coke, it's really lethal and tastes bad.

I'm putting the N/X Shark Nozzle into the CAI so if I take it off, I lose my ability to suck up a tasty Nitrous/Fuel mixture, and that just won't do.

Oh, BTW, How far back would be best to drill and put the nozzle in on the Cold Air Intake? Does it have to be on a straight section or is a curve okay if it sprays in the direction of the manifold?

raiyo
11-23-2003, 07:46 PM
For those who got hydrlocked on the forum had aftermarket bumpers, or know as Buddy Club. Havent read about any hydrolock with stock bumpers yet, hopefully not and never.

TrippZ
11-23-2003, 10:11 PM
when i get the balls to get a CAI i'll be keeping it year round too. dallas tx doesnt get too much rain so im not really worried.

chubbychu
11-23-2003, 10:44 PM
how in the world do you submerge the filter? if the water ever got THAt deep i would be more worried about how im gonna get out of the car without water flooding in.

BluePearl03Si
11-24-2003, 03:30 AM
If you WOT into a deep puddle with a BC3 Front Bumper, or drive into a street in a federal disaster flood area with people rowing around in canoes, If you look where the CAI is the splash guard protects it, even if you went through a deep puddle that is a foot deep that was like 10 feet long, say, a flooded ditch that has ran into the road, the factory bumper would part it like a ships bow, and protect it from below as well. Breathe that deep cold air...don't worry about it. If you do something real stupid, do what everyone advises, let off the throttle and put it in neutral.

4g63dsm
11-24-2003, 08:18 PM
that whole area bhind the stock splash guard was wet, including the filter was damp, i just don't wann atkae any chances with my car

master7
11-26-2003, 08:10 AM
AH! man "suck it up" and stop crying j/k (*_*)

But I understand yr concern!!! Good Luck!!!