PDA

View Full Version : endlinks problem how to take off rear swaybar?

jdmsi
11-22-2003, 05:39 PM
for some reason when I tried to take off the nut, the whole endlink piece moved with it and I had no way to grab the other end. Anyone else had this problem?

andy
11-22-2003, 07:12 PM
Yes, you'll need to use an allen wrench to secure the endlinks while
you unbolt the nut.

I think there is a DIY somewhere, but if not, just get a light and
get under there and you'll see what I'm talking about. Good luck.

JBS02
11-22-2003, 07:13 PM
First off, do a search. There is a ton of info about sway bar installs. As far as the endlink moving, you'll need a 5mm allen wrench to hold the threaded section of the endlink while you try to loosen the nut. Don't try to loosen the part of the endlink that attaches to the sway bar while under the car - the self-locking nut is very difficult to remove. Loosen the part of the endlink that attaches to the control arms and pull out the sway bar with both endlinks attached. Then you can disassemble the ends from the bar. When I first tried to install the RSX rear sway, I tried to loosen the endlink at the sway bar from under the car and ended up stipping it. Had to wait 6 weeks for new endlinks to arrive. Once stripped the only way I could keep the endlinks from spinning was to hold them with a vise grip. Needless to say, they were badly mauled after that. If your car is fairly new, everything may come apart fairly easily. If not, make sure that the endlinks are in stock. They are about $40 (US) apiece.

f4hondaphile
11-23-2003, 02:40 PM
Not only do you need the allen to hold it in place you need some penetrating oil because the damn thing will probably be pretty rusted. You shouldn't HAVE to remove it from the control arm but... I had to us some WD40 and needed an extra pair of hands to help hold the center nut with the allen while turning the outside nut with a very long wrench and cheater bar added to it.

But if you are worried about stripping it or can't get it off then maybe taking it off from the control arm isn't a bad idea.

jdmsi
11-23-2003, 07:35 PM
I actually got it out without removing the whole endlink. For one of the sides I just used socket and the back didn't turn at all! For the other side I used allen and the nut came off. Thanks for your help guys.

02SilverSiHB
12-13-2003, 09:29 PM
you need a 5mm or is 6mm..can't remember...allen wrench to insert into the bolt to keep it still while you turn the nut with a wrench

SoCaLep3
12-14-2003, 04:24 PM
i dint use an allen wrench the bolts just came off, what does that mean?

f4hondaphile
12-14-2003, 04:58 PM
Probably just means they were so rusted in place that they didn't move, which worked out and made the job easier in your case it sounds like!