PDA

View Full Version : Goldline Springs CUT

02silverep3
11-22-2003, 07:25 PM
I bought some goldline springs. They were nice but I wanted to go a little bit lower. I cut 1 coil off the front, and 2 coils in the rear. The front is a little stiff, but the rear still rides great. So if you want to go lower but can afford adjustables, do this. it makes the car look about 10 times better. later

andy
11-22-2003, 07:42 PM
Bad, bad, bad idea. If you really want cheap springs, go with Teins
(or even better, Progress, hondawerx had them for $140 or so) or if
you want an extreme drop, try Neuspeed.

By cutting the springs, you change their spring rates and it's just
not a good idea. Hope you stay safe on the road out there with those
things on your car...

!@#$%
11-23-2003, 01:12 AM
dont expect your shocks to last 1/3 the time they normally would.

mrfixit687
11-23-2003, 03:05 AM
ricers... :rolleyes:

estebones
11-23-2003, 03:43 AM
that didnt sound like a smart thing to do :shockm:

02SilverSiHB
11-23-2003, 09:55 AM
ouch! bad idea

Heitzke
11-23-2003, 10:45 AM
hmm, not only is cutting your springs a horrible idea, why did you cut your aftermarket springs? If you wanted a slammed car, and you were just going to hack the springs up, why not save some money and hack up your stockies?

EP33
11-23-2003, 02:39 PM
WTF

Sell your car dude. Very unsafe.

phatfreeza
11-23-2003, 06:48 PM
hahaha i can't believe people still do this... but anyway... good luck and be safe... who knows how well those springs are gonna hold up... i'd put the stockies back asap.. i've heard too many horror stories... :p

bobdobbs
11-23-2003, 07:15 PM
Cutting springs isn't always bad. You could probably get away with cutting the OEM springs 1 or 1.5 coils. In fact, I'd probably do that before I bought aftermarket springs. But, I'm not sure I'd cut aftermarket springs -- they're already pretty short.

Springs are just a flexible bar coiled up. Cutting them shortens the bar, making it more stiff. I've done it many times on older cars that don't have aftermarket springs. It's not ideal, but it's almost always better than OEM, as long as you don't over-do it and it still seats properly.

02silverep3
11-23-2003, 08:01 PM
I dont know who you have talked to but the only horror stories I've heard is that your ride gets little more stiff. I'm not really into the whole race scene, im into show. The lower the better. I could'nt afford adjustables, so I hack away. By the way I only cut not even one coil in the front, and roughflty two in the back. Back still rides great. Im interested to hear what kind of horror stories you've heard. In fact I know a number of people who will cut some coils to get lower. And whats so "BAD, BAD, BAD", about it. Ya know all you hard core racers out there, I've heard alot of horror stories about turbos, supercharger, and NOS. But you guys still do it, and thats really dangerous. Anyways peace to all you who support all ep3 owners. Later:rolleyes:

02SilverSiHB
11-23-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by 02silverep3
I dont know who you have talked to but the only horror stories I've heard is that your ride gets little more stiff. I'm not really into the whole race scene, im into show. The lower the better. I could'nt afford adjustables, so I hack away. By the way I only cut not even one coil in the front, and roughflty two in the back. Back still rides great. Im interested to hear what kind of horror stories you've heard. In fact I know a number of people who will cut some coils to get lower. And whats so "BAD, BAD, BAD", about it. Ya know all you hard core racers out there, I've heard alot of horror stories about turbos, supercharger, and NOS. But you guys still do it, and thats really dangerous. Anyways peace to all you who support all ep3 owners. Later:rolleyes:
http://a5.cpimg.com/image/D9/72/26390745-8581-004B004B-.jpg

andy
11-24-2003, 01:36 AM
I'm guessing you haven't seen the video with the Honda Civic changing
lanes (at maybe 80 or 90) and heading straight into a median/wall.
There's hardly anything to suggest the car hit ice/something went
amiss, other than it looks like it's really lowered (i.e. cut springs). I can find it if you want.

Cutting springs is sort of equivalent to installing nitrous, but without any tuning and making it all guesswork. You're venturing into the unknown by cutting the springs and if you do *any* sort of aggressive driving, I really think it's a bad idea. Especially when aftermarket springs (i.e. Neuspeed, 110; Tein, 130) are so cheap.

Burgh
11-24-2003, 09:33 AM
Someone explain to me how cutting linear springs on stock shocks is any different from getting lowering springs on stock shocks. This is a totally honest question, I want to know. I always thought that the problem was that anytime the shock is forced to operate at a ride height that is lower than what it was designed for, it will blow out much quicker. So if that's the case, what teh difference between lowering springs and a cut springs?

To the original poster, I think the *bad* thing about doing this is that when your shocks blow your car will be sort of unsafe, esp at higher speeds. If you ever see a car bouncing up and down while driving down the road - chances are that it's been lowered without proper shocks.

Chrisbgft
11-24-2003, 10:20 AM
Why is it that all the Silver EP's getted all riced out..lol. Near where i live there are 2 other silver EP's w/ altezza's, cut springs or heated springs, and all these people think its MY car.

Driftin SI
11-24-2003, 10:59 AM
I cut one dead coil from a set of Neuspeed springs I had on my old car. Funny thing is, it actually made the car handle better. Now, I'm not saying cutting springs is ok, but you can do it in certain situations. I do hope that all you removed was dead coils though.

02SilverSiHB
11-24-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Chrisbgft
Why is it that all the Silver EP's getted all riced out..lol. Near where i live there are 2 other silver EP's w/ altezza's, cut springs or heated springs, and all these people think its MY car.
hey! not all of us are like that! http://a1.cpimg.com/image/CB/71/26390731-ab5f-004B004B-.jpg

02silverep3
11-24-2003, 07:57 PM
First of all, I can bet any thing that my car is about five times sicker than most cars out there. I have shaved handles, hatch, also repainted, on chrome 18's. My car looks better than most civics i've seen. And another thing "RICE" I though ment that a car was tackie i.e. lowered on stock wheels and tires, strait pipe exhaust with no muffler and an unpainted bodykit. Oh yeah, take every plastic part on your car and paint it yellow. I don't know why but this is the only forum where people with same car dont get along. I though the name of the website was EPHATCH.COM. All you racers need to get over your selves and realize there is another group of people out there that like to make there cars look good rather than make it fast. Why cant we all just get along. Anyways later.

02silverep3
11-24-2003, 07:58 PM
WHO HAS THE TIME TO TAKE PICTURES OF THERE FACIAL EXPRESSIONS? GO DO SOMETHING!!!

Heitzke
11-24-2003, 09:42 PM
You're not going to make many friends here raggin on the Mods we have here.....

rs_1101
11-25-2003, 12:06 AM
well the thing is alot of "appearance" mods simply makeyour car function worse. chrome is heavy. shaved doors.. bondo flakes.. basically that. superlow springs? there go your shocks!! its a risk u take.

!@#$%
11-25-2003, 12:36 AM
there is nothing wrong with lowering your car on stock wheels. It looks a hell of a lot better than stock height on stock wheels. I have gunmetal 17's and like stockies just as much.

02silverep3
11-25-2003, 06:22 PM
Whoever said i'm not going to make any friends. Im not the one who started the argument. I simply said that i cut 1 coil on my springs and you guys went off. Your tellin me not to knock other peoples mods, but you guys started callin me a "RICER" because i shaved my handles and hatch. You act like there is no purpose in doing anything to your car unless it increases performancce. But yet i'm sure you all have systems in your cars=0 horsepower. Or how about the type r wing=0 horsepower, only helps when you go faster than 100mph. It all comes down to dont knock me and I wont knock you.

!@#$%
11-25-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by 02silverep3
Whoever said i'm not going to make any friends. Im not the one who started the argument. I simply said that i cut 1 coil on my springs and you guys went off. Your tellin me not to knock other peoples mods, but you guys started callin me a "RICER" because i shaved my handles and hatch. You act like there is no purpose in doing anything to your car unless it increases performancce. But yet i'm sure you all have systems in your cars=0 horsepower. Or how about the type r wing=0 horsepower, only helps when you go faster than 100mph. It all comes down to dont knock me and I wont knock you.

im wondering if this was directed towards me. :confused:

rs_1101
11-25-2003, 07:20 PM
i dont think most of us meant to creep on u. ull notice some people actually gave u some helpful input.. sometimes u just gotta filter out the crap.

i think its just that alot of us ep owners are sick of seeing "fast and furious" style cars.. so we can be alitte touchy about "ricey" stuff.. no harm meant

BSEVEER
11-26-2003, 10:19 AM
Cutting a spring may not be a good idea but it does not change the spring rate. Lowering springs have a higher spring rate than stock because they are shorter. If you cut your stock springs you will tend to bottom out your suspension because you have less travel with the same spring rate.

rs_1101
12-18-2003, 07:01 PM
sry to resurrect but i wanted to disagree with seever.
cutting springs should raise springrate.
imagine it like this:
stretch a spring out into a long line and put weight on it
now take a shorter (cut)version of the same spring and put the same weight on it.

which ones gonna sag more?

BSEVEER
12-18-2003, 07:52 PM
Lets say you have a spring(not progressive) that's 1 foot long and it takes 100lbs to compress the spring 1 inch. Take that spring and cut 1 inch off of it making it 11 inches long. If I put 100lbs on it is it going to compress more, less or the same as before? I say it still compresses 1 inch.

Zero Three Si
12-18-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Heitzke
You're not going to make many friends here raggin on the Mods we have here.....

Sorry, but just because somebody is a mod doesn't mean I have to kiss their ass. If I get along with a Moderator and we become friends, great! If not, I'm not losing sleep over it.

Common sense tells me that cutting your springs isn't that BIG of a deal. Ever tired cutting a slinky? It still works, doesn't it?

SiRman
12-18-2003, 11:29 PM
Man there is some nasty mud flingin in this thread.:banana: :shadesm:

And my 2cents for what it's worth:

I wouldn't cut any springs.

Think about all the time to take out your struts, hack up your springs
put everything back together. Why not just do a few hours of manual labour or something and save up for some springs to do it right.

ep3guy
12-19-2003, 02:49 PM
Cutting your springs is a BAD thing to do. The ride will get A LOT softer. Unless the Goldline springs have deadcoils, cutting it will be a horrible idea. If they do have dead coils, it won't be as bad, but you will feel a difference in ride. Prepare to bounce. :D

EDIT: OH and trust me, I had Neuspeed Race springs which Tony and his friend helped me hacked away. Neck breaking to *boing boing*.

cease
12-21-2003, 09:41 PM
ive'd cut my lowering spring on my 98 civic, 92 civic si, 92 accord coupe,87 crx and 88 crx and had no problems. BUT they would bounce like crazy.

i thought about cutting my springs on my si but i really dont want that bouncy bounce.

SiRman
12-21-2003, 10:11 PM
and had no problems. BUT they would bounce like crazy.

If you want your car to handle, I think bouncy IS a problem.