PDA

View Full Version : Next mods, need some help choosing-seriously

chet
11-23-2003, 07:52 PM
I have the RevHard turbo kit now and will be getting either an LSD or clutch/flywheel setup next. The Quaife is nearly a gran, the "phantom grip" is a much cheaper alternative but not exactly the highest quality either. Whatabout Mugen or Spoon?

Clutch and flywheel setup. Who has had experience with what brands and general feedback. ACT Exedy Clutchmasters etc.

Also, if and when I do these mods it will surely change my autocross class. Vets, sign in and help me out with possible class assignment for me for next season.

BTW--I will be posting a new members ride thread soon with pics of all my latest shit. I haven't been able to take any good pics (too much sun or not enough).

P.S. I think I should have made this like 3 separate threads, eh?

Thanks

ep3hatchattack
11-23-2003, 07:59 PM
I have heard that the phantom grip is not a very good choice even for the money, but i havent researched it either so it may be ok. I think that with the new turbo that a clutch and flywheel would be better for handling all the new power. You auto-x alot so the lsd would be very useful too. I would go with what ever your budget better suits after installation etc.

ep pilot
11-23-2003, 08:57 PM
From a driver, I think it's funny how much money people will spend on Mufflers, Intakes and other stuff. The most rewarding mod bar none is an LSD. I don't know how many of you have driven a car that has an LSD, but it is damn near close to Awd. In fact in comparison to a vehicle that utilizes a less complexed Awd, using either a viscus type center diff, I would feel more confident in a front wheel drive, or rear wheel drive only car using an LSD, but thats just me. Not only that but I would think it would certainly help fight our cars violent wheel-hop and un-necessary excessive wheelspin whilst existing a turn accelerating spiritedly.

-Rj

glw
11-23-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by chet
I have the RevHard turbo kit now and will be getting either an LSD or clutch/flywheel setup next. The Quaife is nearly a gran, the "phantom grip" is a much cheaper alternative but not exactly the highest quality either. Whatabout Mugen or Spoon?

Clutch and flywheel setup. Who has had experience with what brands and general feedback. ACT Exedy Clutchmasters etc.

Also, if and when I do these mods it will surely change my autocross class. Vets, sign in and help me out with possible class assignment for me for next season.

BTW--I will be posting a new members ride thread soon with pics of all my latest shit. I haven't been able to take any good pics (too much sun or not enough).

P.S. I think I should have made this like 3 separate threads, eh?

Thanks here are a couple helpful web sites regarding car classifications:
http://www.scca.org/amateur/solo2/classes/
http://moutons.org/sccasolo/

i think the classes progress as follows;
1 - stock
2a1 - street touring - s (STS)
2a2 - street touring - x (STX)
2b - street prepared
3 - street modified
4 - prepared
5 - modified

i think your mods would put you in...
LSD=street prepared or stx
clutch/flywheel=street prepared
turbo=street modified

chet
11-23-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by glw
here are a couple helpful web sites regarding car classifications:
http://www.scca.org/amateur/solo2/classes/
http://moutons.org/sccasolo/

i think the classes progress as follows;
1 - stock
2a1 - street touring - s (STS)
2a2 - street touring - x (STX)
2b - street prepared
3 - street modified
4 - prepared
5 - modified

i think your mods would put you in...
LSD=street prepared or stx
clutch/flywheel=street prepared
turbo=street modified

I posted a similar thread at Club Si about classification. I have the SCCA rulebook so you may now be wondering why I'm asking. But the damn thing reads like an Insurance policy or a college text book. You need a law degree to decypher. ANyway, with the turbo only, I should stay in Street Modified. So I am going to assume that with an lsd and/or clutch/flywheel upgrade. . .I could possibly end up in street prepared. I just looked at the book, that was a mistake.

So far the Quaife is looking better than the phantom grip. The guys who did my turbo install are pretty happy with the phanton grip which is why I am asking, but I am sure if I purchased the LSD I would be the happy one.

I still need help on picking a clutch/flywheel setup.

DavidT
11-24-2003, 02:50 AM
I've always had very good luck with my previous cars using either ACT or Exedy. For my more modded cars I went with ACT. Never had a problem and was always satisfied. For more more mild cars I used Exedy OEM replacements, very good too IMO. As far as flywheels go, I only know of a few that make them for the K20 motors. I believe Spoon, Comptech, Toda, Exedy and Findazle (Or something like that) makes them.

Driftin SI
11-24-2003, 07:29 AM
I llok at it like this, if you are paying big money for a diff, it better have a warranty. If you destroy a JDN or Spoon diff, I have a funny feeling you'll have a diffcult time getting it reaplaced. I have seen several people get their Quaife's replaced without a problem. Spend your money wisely grasshopper, I have made errors like this in the past and have learned from them, buy quality stuff and buy it once.

hypnoj
11-24-2003, 09:08 AM
how much $$ to LSD's run?

chet
11-24-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by hypnoj
how much $$ to LSD's run?

I didn't get an exact quote, but I think Chuck at SSUSA can get me one for $925 to $950.

Thanks for the info DavidT and DriftinSi

VividDreams
11-24-2003, 08:33 PM
just for reference, i saw a ITR LSD on www.jdmhondaparts.com for $850

as far as clutches/flywheels, i know ACT is a very well known company with a very good reputation, i cant comment about the other two brands though because i havent heard anything about them

fsugatorbait
11-25-2003, 09:23 AM
Thats a good question...I plan on going with the DC5 LSD with centerforce dual friction clutch and DC5 lightened flywheel. If you match the clutch/flywheel applications together, we can run the DC5 parts in our tranny's which gives us more choices. HTH.

chet
11-25-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by fsugatorbait
Thats a good question...I plan on going with the DC5 LSD with centerforce dual friction clutch and DC5 lightened flywheel. If you match the clutch/flywheel applications together, we can run the DC5 parts in our tranny's which gives us more choices. HTH.

FSUgatorbait, are you talking about aftermarket products for the DC5? I'm assuming that the stock parts aren't going to be a great choice due to my turbo?? Treat me like a noob with this stuff. Each time I get a new mod, its the first time--its all quite a learning experience.

I had originally planned on an Exedy cerametallic clutch and lightweight flywheel, but heard the Exedy's were "aggressive". So, one of the guys at the shop that did the install mentioned Clutchmasters. . .He's driving an N/A Neon, so I don't think he really cares about the JDM products. I figured ACT or Exedy and I am still not decided on the LSD yet. This is all going to be a little while anyway. I am thinking of waiting on the Cusco or I may just go with the Quaife. I don't think the Phantom Grip is what I want.