PDA

View Full Version : MILEAGE - hondata - g.wires

civic hatch boi
11-23-2003, 10:00 PM
ok .. my #1 concern with my car is gas mileage... i check my mileage after every fill up, and i hate getting anything less than 28-29mpg... 27 is not good enough cuz i baby the car when driving... anyways my question is...

1. can ground wires make you get worse mileage cuz after i installed happies, i'm getting krappy mileage (driving the same)

2. can anyone with hondata tell me if they got better mileage? like, if u drove the exact same before and after the ecu upgrade, are u getting more miles?

ATRIOT
11-23-2003, 10:04 PM
Answer for # 1)They wont make a negligable difference.
# 2) Im too poor for hondata

bryan
11-23-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi
ok .. my #1 concern with my car is gas mileage... i check my mileage after every fill up, and i hate getting anything less than 28-29mpg... 27 is not good enough cuz i baby the car when driving... anyways my question is...

1. can ground wires make you get worse mileage cuz after i installed happies, i'm getting krappy mileage (driving the same)

2. can anyone with hondata tell me if they got better mileage? like, if u drove the exact same before and after the ecu upgrade, are u getting more miles?

On that note, what mods can be done without hurting the EP's gas milage? I also put that as a top priority.

ATRIOT
11-23-2003, 10:14 PM
Fuck fuel economy, its fuel economy which got us the neutered K20A in the first place.

bobdobbs
11-23-2003, 10:21 PM
Doesn't Hondata require high octane gas, because of the additional advance on the timing? I doubt mileage would increase enough to offset the extra cost per gallon. Plus, you can buy a lot of gas with the $600 Hondata costs. :D

TrippZ
11-23-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
Doesn't Hondata require high octane gas, because of the additional advance on the timing? I doubt mileage would increase enough to offset the extra cost per gallon. Plus, you can buy a lot of gas with the $600 Hondata costs. :D

ditto.. except i don tthink hondata requires higher octane..?? someone prove me wrong

bobdobbs
11-23-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by TrippZ
ditto.. except i don tthink hondata requires higher octane..?? someone prove me wrong
This quote from the Hondata website (http://www.hondata.com/k20a3civicsirelease.html) tells me use of 87 octane is not supported:

"This tune [is] for 91 octane pump gas. We have not tested it on 87."

ATRIOT
11-23-2003, 10:31 PM
If you want good gas mileage, toss it into a higher gear as soon as possible, and without bogging. Why anyone would sacrifice the pleasure of driving an EP for gas mileages is beyond me.

redronin22
11-23-2003, 10:55 PM
i get 250-300 miles per 10 gallons driving in crappy OC traffic. IMO hondata seems to make u want to take it up to the 7800 limit more often which in turn waste more gas. =-) But it doesnt have any major effect on gas mileage if u granny shift. =-)

TrippZ
11-23-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
This quote from the Hondata website (http://www.hondata.com/k20a3civicsirelease.html) tells me use of 87 octane is not supported:

"This tune [is] for 91 octane pump gas. We have not tested it on 87."

thanks

NuG
11-23-2003, 11:39 PM
I'm a lead foot so I cant tell ya. Running 91 seems to get better gas mileage tho.

chb: what octane are you running? have you ran 87 or 89 on hondata?

eurosteez
11-23-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by ATRIOT
Fuck fuel economy, its fuel economy which got us the neutered K20A in the first place.

LMAO. I'm with you as long as were surrounded by SUV's

DavidT
11-24-2003, 02:28 AM
I always pump 91 octane gas. I usually get about 29-32 MPG. When I drive hard I get about 29, sometimes 28. When I'm driving normal I always get above 30 MPG. I highly doubt Hondata will increase gas mileage, although it will make you have to pump high octane but if you do that already then it wouldn't matter. Just remember one thing, a car from the factory will 99% of the time most likely get better gas mileage than the same type of car modded...even with mods that say they will increase gas mileage, most of the times those mods don't do jack. Just my 2 cents. ;)

Oh and it's not fuel economy that made us get the K20A3, it was emissions, because if we got a Type R it would of came with the K20A :cool: The K20A2/6-spd combo actually is EPA rated getting better gas mileage than our K20A3/5-spd setup.

phatfreeza
11-24-2003, 04:04 AM
being in so cal and driving through heave traffic almost EVERY DAY ... :( ... i've been getting aroudn... 27 mpg... and i'm driving my ep FAIRLY hard (redlining, hard cornering etc...) i've tried the switching up to a higher octane ( i'm using 87) but it doesn't seem to give me any sort of fuel economy boost. but that's just me... i wouldn't get hondata for fuel conservation purposes... i'd move out of los angeles and go somewhere with less traffic... just my two cents... :)

sniperSI
11-24-2003, 08:01 AM
Search the threads at clubRSX, hondata was saying how it will work on lower octance because our ECU's can still retard the timing regardless of any advance. Hondata won't be as peppy as it would on 93 octance, but its still workable.

Zero Three Si
11-24-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by civic hatch boi

If you get hondata, you'll be able to rev higher. More revs=More gas used.

If you are driving on the highway, I find that if I drive over 80mph for an extended period of time I get less MPG. If I set the cruise control at like 65-70mph I get better gas mileage.

phatfreeza
11-24-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Zero Three Si
If you get hondata, you'll be able to rev higher. More revs=More gas used.

If you are driving on the highway, I find that if I drive over 80mph for an extended period of time I get less MPG. If I set the cruise control at like 65-70mph I get better gas mileage.

like he says: (got this off www.fueleconomy.gov
Observe the Speed Limit

Gas mileage decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph. Each 5 mph you drive over 60 mph is like paying an additional $0.10 per gallon for gas. Observing the speed limit is also safer.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/tips/SPEED.gif

but who wants to drive 60mph anyway??? if you already drive slow.. then... i dunno.. change your oil or something...

fishboy
11-24-2003, 01:45 PM
i have ground wires and i am getting 28-30 mpg on 87 octane. if mileage is such a concern then put your car back to stock. if you want to save money then hondata is definitely not an option. 600 bucks out and now you have to put 91 octane and not push it to get the same milage? alright now let's give hondata the benefit of the doubt and say that it increases the mileage by say 2 miles per gallon. is that worth the extra 20 cents? that just doesn't make sense to me. plus you will push your car more with hondata just to bounce it off the new revlimiter so you will just eat more gas, more 91 octane gas. i just don't get why you want to get hondata if mileage is a concern.

Rueda del Queso
11-24-2003, 02:37 PM
I think that government mpg chart is a load of crap. The effect of additional speed on cars varies widely due to thing like cd and weight. I know that for our car that a high cruising speed has at most a negligible effect on fuel economy. I did a 320 mile or so highway trip (well, 150 each way and about 20 in city driving conditions) and I got nowhere near what's expected according to that graph.

The drive there was a little stop and go on the highway, but mostly cruising between 75-85 mph with peaks around 95 mph in the more secluded areas. On the way back, I spent the first half cruising at about 85 mph and then hit some disgusting traffic that had me idling or going 5 mph for 20 minutes because of construction. After that, it was getting late and wanted to let out a little so I started cruising around 90 mph on the 3-lane, nobody is around section. I also had some fun with a clk430, passing people with him, but not really racing and peaked at 105mph. The rest of the way back (after the guy left me in the dust) I went about 85-90 mph and stopped off for gas about 10 miles from home. I went to this same gas station on my way there because they have great prices and marked my mileage when I left. After I filled up, I calculated I had averaged 29mpg!

My car isn't some weird Si that normally averages 38mpg, I usually get between 26-30mpg. According to that graph, my car should have fallen to at least 23mpg and if the slope stays the same for the next 10-20mph, it should have dropped to maybe 20mpg or a little under considering acceleration and stop and go.

Anyone else have similar/different results when they are at a high cruising speed?

myeverlovinsir
11-24-2003, 02:43 PM
I did a small study after I got hondata and found that I did get better gas milage, but only slightly. Mind you if you drive it hard anyways, hondata will not help at all. The advanced timing does require a higher octane to prevent detonation (at least 89), however I have run on 87, 89, 93 and don't really notice much of a difference. The ground wires are useless IMHO.;)

2k2ep
11-24-2003, 03:03 PM
Something I have noticed is the ecu learning process will change milage. Right after I have done any of my mods the milage will be off for at least a couple of tanks of gas. Reset the ecu and drive it for a few weeks like normal and the milage should return to what it will stay at. Also as long as you drive easy I dont think any of the basic i/h/e mods really affected my milage aside from better mileage at high speed (70+). With an aem cai and 2.25 catback 4people and a bit of luggage and the cruse set on 75 I made and 8hr trip and got about 34mpg just highway.

civic hatch boi
11-25-2003, 05:20 PM
thxn everyone.... the thing is.. i woudlnt' only get hondata for gas purposes, i'd get it for the extra revs, and extra gas would only be a bonus. anyways... i asked the questions because i drive like 95% fwy milse and i used to get 29mph... but RIGHT AFTER i put my groundwirse and mugen wing, it dropped to 27mph. i think the mugen wing puts too much downforce and ruins my mileage :) haha...

fishboy
11-25-2003, 05:44 PM
probably the wing. ;)

civic hatch boi
11-25-2003, 06:03 PM
oh yeah. so I dont sound like a freak that only cares about gas mileage... let me clarify myself... i dotn expect to get mods, etc and still get 30mph... i get mods to be ABLE to go quick when i need to and want to... and i DO expect to get like 29-30 mpg when i drive like a granny doing 95% hwy miles :) thnx for ur times people.. hehe.