PDA

View Full Version : Need to vent.

STP03BlueSI
11-24-2003, 01:00 PM
DAMN!!!

Well just got a call from the Honda dealership that i took my car in to this morning. Well Nothing is wrong with the seat. You can sit the and shake it to side to side and back and forth(feels like it is loose). The Shifter is notchy..They say that is normal. I have to shove it in to 3rd and in to 2nd WITH THE CLUTCH ALL THE WAY DOWN!

I guess i will wait another 2 weeks and take it back it. This is really pissing me off. Last time it was in they BROKE the shifter cables and i drove on them, and they blamed it on me!:mad: :mad: FUCKIN A...

Sorry i am usally a calm guy that just posts on here, but now i am pissed..sorry fellow ep members

Thanks for listening to me vent.

Chris

bobdobbs
11-24-2003, 01:07 PM
What do you mean by "with the clutch all the way down"? How do you usually shift? You *should* be putting the clutch pedal all the way to the floor. Not for shifing out of gear, but certainly for shifting into a gear.

1flySi2002
11-24-2003, 01:12 PM
I think what he was trying to get across is that when most people say the shifting is notchy, everyones first response is " did you have the clutch all the way down?"

bobdobbs
11-24-2003, 01:29 PM
Hmmmm... That's not how I read his post.

I know you're just venting STP, but it sounds like you've either got a bad clutch master or slave cylinder or you need to bleed your clutch line. You and a friend could do the bleed yourself and put in better hydraulic fluid than what Honda puts in.

phatfreeza
11-24-2003, 01:36 PM
a lot of honda dealerships suck... i understand too... :(

on a separate note.. they took like 7-8 hours just to adjust my parking brake and change the oil! :( grrrrrrrrr

STP03BlueSI
11-24-2003, 01:53 PM
Yea i always shift with the clutch all the way to the floor. When it goes in to gear it is really rough.

And my car has been there all day. And i had to call them to see whats up(turned the car in at 715am called at 315pm).

They say nothing is wrong. I guess i will test drive the 04 on the lot.

bobdobbs
11-24-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by STP03BlueSI
Yea i always shift with the clutch all the way to the floor. When it goes in to gear it is really rough.

The first thing I do when I notice my tranny is notchier than usual is replace the tranny oil with Redline. Redline MTL (or MT-90) usually fixes the problem. Joe Pax did it and you can read his review here:

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10051

STP03BlueSI
11-24-2003, 02:11 PM
I will talk with Honda and ask them about it. They gave me enough of a hard time over the phone because i had a SRI.:mad:

bobdobbs
11-24-2003, 02:19 PM
The dealer probably will not put Redline in; you're going to have to do this yourself.

Driftin SI
11-24-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
The first thing I do when I notice my tranny is notchier than usual is replace the tranny oil with Redline. Redline MTL (or MT-90) usually fixes the problem. Joe Pax did it and you can read his review here:

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10051

I've used a similar product in other cars with great results, http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/mgeara.html

Apparantly, Honda trans fluid is nothing more that regular engine oil, hmmmm. http://www.royalpurple.com/techa/tranxref.html

f4hondaphile
11-24-2003, 02:42 PM
Hey Dobbs:

I gather you think the redline mtl is the best? What about the other synthetic makers like Mobil 1?

bobdobbs
11-24-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by f4hondaphile
I gather you think the redline mtl is the best? What about the other synthetic makers like Mobil 1?
I use Mobil 1 for engine oil on new cars and motorcycles. I made the mistake of putting Mobil 1 in an old Moto Guzzi and I soon developed an oil leak that I could never get rid of. For new engines, I think it's great, but I'd stick with dino-oil (Castrol GTX) for old engines.

I like Redline for tranny oil, but I've never used Royal Purple. I think Amsoil also has a competing product. They're probably all about the same: better than OEM oil, but not much better than each other. Redline is more easily available, it seems. I can buy it at a local speed shop, but I'd have to mail-order the others.

f4hondaphile
11-24-2003, 04:44 PM
I use the Mobil 1 for the engine oil in my car and motorcycle too. But what about Mobil 1 tranny oil? I thought I saw some last time I was at the autoparts store and was thinking about using it because Mobil 1 is generally really good stuff.

I was basically trying to avoid having to mail order redline. If you think redline is about the best then I'll just order some from kingmotorsports or some place like that I guess.

Thanks

bobdobbs
11-24-2003, 05:18 PM
Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding. Even though I like M1, I use Redline in transmissions because of what they talk about here:

http://www.redlineoil.com/redlineoil/mtlti.htm

It makes sense to me that oil formulation for engines and transmissions should be different. Two very different environments. Since the guys at Redline seem to make an effort to make a product specifically for manual transmissions, I think that makes it worth the effort to get Redline.

Go_EP_Go
11-24-2003, 06:34 PM
bobdobbs....FOUNTAIN OF KNOWLEDGE!~

f4hondaphile
11-24-2003, 07:51 PM
BobDobbs:

Makes sense to me too, I hadn't even read the owners manual recomendations yet, I was just looking at M1 80 or 90 weight gear oil. I'm gonna go with some redline though after reading the link. I have done some studying engine oil but never manual tranny oil before, I didn't even know they used engine oil in some of them. Seems a little weird but not so surprising since your motorcycle makes do with sharing the same oil between engine and tranny. But its well understood thats a design choice that forces a compromise on your lubricant, a little thicker than ideal for the engine, maybe a little too thin for the tranny but packaging as one unit saves weight and space so you gotta do it on a bike.

Anyways, thanks for the help o-fountain-of-knowledge-dobbs.

bobdobbs
11-24-2003, 08:41 PM
Good point about the motorcycle oil. The thing to remember is motorcycle transmissions do not have synchronizers, which is why you get the "clunk" sometimes when shifting, without matching revs. The way Redline MTL behaves with synchros is the reason I like it. It has a relatively high coefficient of friction, which is what you need for synchros to work. No friction, no worky. ;)

f4hondaphile
11-24-2003, 08:50 PM
Good point about the synchros. Of course in the motorcycle you have similar issues with friction because the clutch spins in the same oil (most modern bikes anyway).

Definitely no friction no worky in there. Thats why the use of friction reducers, especially moly, is so controversial in motorcycle oils. Honda even offers motorcycle oil with and without moly.

But you are right about the synchros, redline sounds like the way to go.

f4hondaphile
11-24-2003, 11:29 PM
Hey Dobbs:

Sorry for yet another question on the oil topic (loosely). Since I am new to this site, forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere on here but did you guys know that the larger oil filter for the older civics and accords works on our car, and is in fact recommended by savvy Honda service departments?

Its better than the small one for obvious reasons of media volume but also b/c the larger one uses an o-ring while the small ones, even M1 and K&N, use a flat gasket, not to mention it gives you a very slightly higher oil capacity.

Anyway for what its worth if this is not commonly known I'll post a thread about it.

bobdobbs
11-24-2003, 11:39 PM
My impression is the oil topic doesn't get discussed much because of the 10,000 mile first service. I usually go with a Mobil 1 filter. If you've got some good info, post it!

You should know this is my first Honda, which I've only had since August, so I don't know all the ins-and-outs. Other guys on this site -- probably you too -- know WAY more about Hondas than I do. Most of my auto knowledge comes from owning Italian cars for years. Nothing teaches you about fixing cars more than owning a Fiat (or three)! :D

f4hondaphile
11-25-2003, 12:33 PM
Yeah I'll post it as soon as I go the auto parts store so I can supply the cross reference numbers for the same filter in M1, K&N, Bosch, etc. BTW, I am trying to decide which I like better, the M1 or K&N filters, I use the M1 for my bike and currently just have a Bosch on my ep but next oil change will upgrade.

bobdobbs
11-25-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by f4hondaphile
I am trying to decide which I like better, the M1 or K&N filters
There was a thread on some other site a while back which I can't find now that compared a bunch of filters by cutting them open. The Mobil 1 and K&N were comparable. Either one is fine. Far better than Fram garbage. Friends don't let friends use orange oil filters. :confused:

Zero Three Si
11-25-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Driftin SI
I've used a similar product in other cars with great results, http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/mgeara.html

Apparantly, Honda trans fluid is nothing more that regular engine oil, hmmmm. http://www.royalpurple.com/techa/tranxref.html

Learned something new. I was always under the impression that cars that had manual transmissions didn't have trans fluid. I'll check my car manual, but where do we change/check for this fluid at.

f4hondaphile
11-25-2003, 03:17 PM
No kidding about the Frams, we used to cut open filters in my highschool shop class. The frams just had a string holding the filter element together which would often break and lead to the oil bypassing the filter element altogether. they may have improved them since but I refuse to buy them, I stick to M1, K&N, or if you want to save a few bucks, the Bosch are supposed to be solid quality they just don't have synthetic media in them.

What do you think of the Trasko permanent filters that have aluminum fins for cooling and are supposed to trap smaller microns? I've been intrigued by them for awhile but not sure they're worth the dough because you still have to buy refills at about $10 a pop and I'm not keen on changing it less often, even if it is better.

http://www.trasko-usa.com/