PDA

View Full Version : Anyones brakes grind when first getting started or at slow speeds

jimmied
11-24-2003, 04:54 PM
it seems every morning or anytime i just have to move my car, my brakes are grinding, i would not think this is normal. Does anyone else have a similar problem? Please let have some input

younggotti266
11-24-2003, 05:07 PM
same here....

seems only on wet cold morning or night....

Not really a grinding noise more of a squeeking

TomR123
11-24-2003, 05:17 PM
Well the first braking I do after reversing no matter what time of day I hear a sort of click from the brakes. I just figured this was the pads setting in or something of the sort.

bobdobbs
11-24-2003, 05:30 PM
Are you guys sure it isn't just the ABS system initializing?

Ph0nK
11-24-2003, 05:32 PM
I always figured it was from mild oxidation (rust) on the rotors from sitting through a damp night (water and oxygen have that effect on metal), and the noise is the pads scraping that away. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

siver-SI
11-24-2003, 05:46 PM
Yea our rotors suck they rust if you let you car sit over night or in the rain. I want to upgrade my rotors and pads this winter just because of this.

bioevolve
11-24-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Ph0nK
I always figured it was from mild oxidation (rust) on the rotors from sitting through a damp night (water and oxygen have that effect on metal), and the noise is the pads scraping that away. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

You are correct!

yakov456
11-24-2003, 07:10 PM
Does it on mine, I go long periods of time between driving though.

Rey
11-24-2003, 07:14 PM
Every time I back out of a drive way or from just seting for 5 mins it will make this loud *click* sound. I been wanting to get it check cuz it scares the crap out of my. It sounds like something broke, or is breaking.

civicracer1128
11-24-2003, 08:12 PM
that click is the abs self check, its there for your safety dont get it checked out. vws do it as well. its normal. and the grinding is caused by your rotors rusting. it happens any time they get moist. check em next time you wash your car. youd be surprized how quck they rust.

jimmied
11-24-2003, 11:20 PM
i know it is not the abs initializing, i guess it is the bads breaking the rust free like you guys said but it sounds like too large of scrape to just be that, i will see what happens with time i guess....also, it is worse when i back out of my driveway like the other guy stated