PDA

View Full Version : sick of my ep

4g63dsm
11-25-2003, 11:21 PM
i dunno why i'm just getting tired of my ep, i mean its a good car i can't complain its realiable.buts its just that i've realized that i hate front wheel drive. i just don't like the way it feels, kinda looking in to a different car. Maybe one thats a lil faster, but more inportantly a rwd like a used is 300 or maybe an sk2. it probably won't happen soon but if i decide to keep a car next year at college then it'll probably happen. any body else sick of our drive train???

chubbychu
11-25-2003, 11:24 PM
not so much the EP but FR drivetrain yes, its like...missing that special push im looking for

rs_1101
11-25-2003, 11:28 PM
agree.

BluePearl03Si
11-25-2003, 11:33 PM
FWD sucks for just about everything but the snow. You have torque steer, wheel hop, understeer, weight imbalance....

Where here are you gonna find a good RWD car for under the price of say, a stripped down 3 series or a Z350?

S-2000:$32,000
350Z Base: $27,000
Lancer Evolution: $28,000+Markup (AWD)
WRX STI: $32K+ Markup (AWD)
WRX: 24K but you'll pay less. (AWD)
Stripper 3 Series: 27K+ maybe less
Miata: 24K or so

Of course you can get lots of good used cars, but the really good ones are hard to find and still pricey, Mark IV Supras and RX-7's for instance.

300ZX is of course a fairly good choice, but I just couldn't see myself driving one. I just don't like the looks. The 280Z was refined and smooth despite it's age, the 300ZX is sorta blocky, but still a damn good car, but older. I wish we had some lower priced RWD options around on new cars, but they are just not there.

bobdobbs
11-25-2003, 11:47 PM
Pontiac GTO. Vette engine, six speed, nice interior, boring exterior won't attract cops, RWD. Sticker is $32K, but I bet they sell for $27K.

LordKoo
11-26-2003, 12:18 AM
Buddies, you have forgotten Mazda RX-8! For $27k, it is a steal!

Suk02Si
11-26-2003, 12:33 AM
I don't mind FWD, you just have to adjust your driving style.

How much quicker do you think you would be in a RWD car on the same roadcourse?

chubbychu
11-26-2003, 01:05 AM
in a straight line however, the ep seems to struggle for that hidden power it has but cant reach it.

BluePearl03Si
11-26-2003, 01:17 AM
The RX-8 that fell short of claimed horsepower?

I find rotarys to be neat, but the engine technology is still in it's infancy.

Wankel invented it, but Kenichi Yamamoto was the guy that made it practical.

But even he only had a team of like 40 something people working on it, and was dropped down to like 5 after the RX-7 was a unmitigated corprate disaster. I know there are improvements to the renesis like side mounted ports, but it needs more development. I'd like to see how these hold up, if they do, I'd prolly buy one after they give it a "Freshening".

2k2_nbp_egg
11-26-2003, 01:19 AM
lol hidden power? Umm ok....I think for 2800lbs including driver, the EP is pushing it for fwd, but it's a freakin' civic.

for under 30k you can get a base 350, mach 1 stang, rx8, used s2k, or miata. Hopefully by the time i get out of college i'll be able to pick up that used s2k I've always wanted....hopefully the rx8 sells good enough so that they bring back a turbo'd renesis 2 door rx7.

GTO's are sweet as well :D

chubbychu
11-26-2003, 01:26 AM
it just feels like...it struggles when you really push it but yea, like you siad its a freakin civic.

LordKoo
11-26-2003, 09:32 AM
Seriously, I have been looking to get S2000 and drove it couple of times already. But RX8 is a step forward in terms of RWD and high rpm output. For that price, you get a sedan but a sports car's soul.

Actually not a whole lot of people appreciate that fold rear door, hence explain the fexibility in the price.

As for FWD vs RWD, there is always a limitation how much power a FWD can lay down vs RWD. FWD's hp power limit to smooth delivery is around 250hp. However, RWD is almost no limit... I watched the North American Touring Championship previous weekend at Brazil, in the wet the FWD ITR definitely has no problem pulling away from BMW, however when the track dried, the RWD BMW started to gain away from FWD. Why? RWD is always close to balance of 50/50. And talk about 50/50, RX8 is that good... British Top Gear tested the RX8 on the track, the lap time is identical to M3 and 350Z despite less on hp!

ImolaS54
11-26-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Suk02Si
I don't mind FWD, you just have to adjust your driving style.

How much quicker do you think you would be in a RWD car on the same roadcourse?

quicker..maybe, maybe not.

feels better...for sure :)

kenis138
11-26-2003, 10:32 AM
going INTO college?! Jesus christ, i had an 83 tercel hatchback going into college....boo frickin hoo, you have a brand new fwd civic. how did all you 17-18 old ep drivers get yer cars? if through yer parents, dont they get a lil pissed when you dont like yer brand new car anymore? if by yerself, good for you for gettin a nice car early on, now quit yer bitchin, go to school and keep yer debt to a minimum before it comes back to bite you in the ass. Sirmedic, can i get an amen? Perhaps a nailbat?

02SilverSiHB
11-26-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by 4g63dsm
i dunno why i'm just getting tired of my ep, i mean its a good car i can't complain its realiable.buts its just that i've realized that i hate front wheel drive. i just don't like the way it feels, kinda looking in to a different car. Maybe one thats a lil faster, but more inportantly a rwd like a used is 300 or maybe an sk2. it probably won't happen soon but if i decide to keep a car next year at college then it'll probably happen. any body else sick of our drive train???
yeah, I feel the same way a lot about that. Funny you mention is300, because I've been eyeing that myself. that's why I'm not going to do to much more to my car. Start paying things off and hopefully in 2 years get a 4door sporty rwd car, like the is300, if it's still being made by then.

02civicSI
11-26-2003, 10:42 AM
people thinking about getting rid of their ep's!! evil. pure evil. well i hope you have fun with your other cars. i'll remember this when im old and decrepid and still have my ep.

BlasTech
11-26-2003, 10:49 AM
I think the hidden power you speak of is a traction issue.

FWD hondas have been doing well in the SVWC and BTCC series for quite a while... its a more efficient driving style than RWD even if its not as fun.

The EP is at the power threshold for a FWD without a limited slip differential, but someone someday is going to get a Quaife LSD and it should be a bigger improvement.

Also, hondata and tires make a world of difference.

abstrack
11-26-2003, 10:57 AM
rwd... yum.. dont forget the used 240sx's toyota soarers supras and hachi-rokou's

drift anyone ?? hehe:D

2k2_nbp_egg
11-26-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
yeah, I feel the same way a lot about that. Funny you mention is300, because I've been eyeing that myself. that's why I'm not going to do to much more to my car. Start paying things off and hopefully in 2 years get a 4door sporty rwd car, like the is300, if it's still being made by then.

Hopefully by then the IS430 will be a full out production car....mmmm 4.3L japanese 4 door sex machine.

Anyway, as for the whole spoiled-ness, when i turned 16 my parents managed to get a hold of an em si for 10K (fucking cheaper than ex's were going for). A year later after I had modded it some what nicely it was stolen *shrug* So we got a check for about 9.5K from insurance....which my mom used as a down payment to purchase my EP as a graduation present. I guess it would have been more appropriate if she had told my dad she was buying it w/ his money, but they were in the process of getting divorced so I don't think she really cared too much. Now I've had my EP for over a year and am still very fond of it...and I know it's gotta last me a lil' while longer. I work like a bastard every summer though, so hopefully in a few years i'll have enough to put a down payment on a used s2k, and keep the EP as a commuter. I don't get a hold of an inherited trust fund until i'm 25, so until then it looks like hondas hondas hondas for me.

And dave, for next season you should really get hondata and a quaife...I won't tell anyone about the quaife ;)

BlackNRedSi
11-26-2003, 11:32 AM
i must say from once having a RWD iroc 350, rwd kicks ass, loved whippin around turns and whatnot....but i perfer fwd over rwd now a days...it keeps me more in line...plus rwd sucks ballz in snow...which in PA you can get alot of it or none @ all...rwd also sucks dck in rain too compaired to fwd slippin all over the place....

why is this discussion even coming up on ephatch.com anyways? most rwd cars are @ least 8-10grand more then the civic si, if you were looking for something like that, you shoulda been looking somehwere else for a car...or go buy the underpowered rx8

BlasTech
11-26-2003, 11:34 AM
Hondata will be a definite yes.

Quaife... hmm...maybe if I make big progress next year and get tired of STS. :angel:

klik
11-26-2003, 11:47 AM
keep the EP, buy a used 240sx or if your lucky a AE86 then whoala u got ur self a RWD
and any1 selling a 89 240sx for a 1500 in the bay area or so hit me up im in the process of looking for 1 as a commuter.
and for all yo with moms and dads that supporting u guys quit bitchin around with the car u guys are lucky that u guys parent help u guys up.
im proud that im payin my car by myself got a alright job for the age of 19 and going to college.
and by the time im finish hopefully ill be mobin some RWD car as u guys mention.

i love my ep even if a FwD or so and im planning to keep it forever cuz its my 1 car:)

rs_1101
11-26-2003, 12:47 PM
yea.. i wouldnt mind a 240.. or even an 86 right now.. im itching for rwd. the ep is hot, but sometimes u just wanna sliiide around them corners

RiceCzechs
11-26-2003, 01:35 PM
Mods do make a world of difference, but the argument that 160hp is the limit for a FWD non-LSD car is garbage, pure and simple. Dare I mention the '03 SRT-4 yet again? Granted, it is a bit of a handful, but were the EP to get a further 40-50hp down through its more sophisticated chassis, it would be none the worse for the wear. I don't think that FWD cars need to be torque-steer happy monsters like the current Maxima or most high-pressure turbo Saabs if issues like the suspension and weight distribution are handled properly. I honestly don't think the EP needs another 80hp from the factory (though I'd hardly turn it down), but a further 40-50hp would be a welcome bump, one that is reachable, streetable, and warrantable.

Originally posted by BlasTech
I think the hidden power you speak of is a traction issue.

FWD hondas have been doing well in the SVWC and BTCC series for quite a while... its a more efficient driving style than RWD even if its not as fun.

The EP is at the power threshold for a FWD without a limited slip differential, but someone someday is going to get a Quaife LSD and it should be a bigger improvement.

Also, hondata and tires make a world of difference.

BlasTech
11-26-2003, 02:03 PM
I think the SRT-4 is severely traction impaired, just from my observations at the track. But its just my opinion.

4g63dsm
11-26-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by kenis138
going INTO college?! Jesus christ, i had an 83 tercel hatchback going into college....boo frickin hoo, you have a brand new fwd civic. how did all you 17-18 old ep drivers get yer cars? if through yer parents, dont they get a lil pissed when you dont like yer brand new car anymore? if by yerself, good for you for gettin a nice car early on, now quit yer bitchin, go to school and keep yer debt to a minimum before it comes back to bite you in the ass. Sirmedic, can i get an amen? Perhaps a nailbat? i down paid and am paying for my ep my self, and mostly paid off. every mod and drop of oil that goes in to my car comes from me. its not a question of being spoiled i'm just sick of fwd,i miss the back end sliding out around corners and drifting; and am thinkin about a nicer car if i decide to have a car during college.

yellerep3
11-28-2003, 05:56 PM
i dunno, the only thing that has me concidering getting rid of my ep is the tranney. It seems so unpredictable and flimsy. Not what i expected when i got my ep, its like some days its smooth and others its doing what ever the hell it wants. i never owned an automatic and people sometimes ask me how long you been driving stick. I feel like i cant drive manual sometimes with my ep, and my first intention was ta keep the ep for a long time, maybe even 10 yrs, but this tranny seems like it could be a serious problem really early.

2k2_nbp_egg
11-28-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by RiceCzechs
Mods do make a world of difference, but the argument that 160hp is the limit for a FWD non-LSD car is garbage, pure and simple. Dare I mention the '03 SRT-4 yet again?

Did you ever stop to think about why they put an LSD in the 04's since you obviously new about that? There's a real good reason...

160 really is starting to push it man, even on azenis and w/ suspension mods i can feel my inside tire hopping, especially after taking corners in my friend's spec V. And dave...like I said....I wouldn't tell anybody;). Come on, like hattori says in that 2L vtec challenge, a little cheating never hurt anyone:angel: ;)

wait, that'd just mean that you'd clobber me even more in sts. nm