PDA

View Full Version : New Tires

Suk02Si
11-27-2003, 03:26 AM
I went through my Yokohama AVS ES100's in 3000mi. I wanted a slightly longer wearing tire so I picked up these bricks for almost nothing, and I still feel ripped off. I had no idea it would be this bad.

http://suk02si.digitalgumball.com/images/pos_tires.jpg

I hit up a canyon tonight and its damn scary with these POS tires. I can't brake hard because ABS kicks in almost immediately. I can't get on the throttle while turning or the tires break loose, spin wildly, and push me outward. I can't steer quickly or the car bobbles and becomes unstable.

The ride is very slick, even under normal driving conditions. I want to try out some Falken Ziex. If I can find a good deal, then I'll just pick up another set of ES100's, but this time in 205/55/15.

oldschoolimport
11-27-2003, 03:55 AM
like I told my grandmother, you can get good tires that will stop, turn, and go, or you can get an 80,000 mile tire. one or the other. long life, high tread wear tires, get that designation for a reason. I am not trying to be a dick, but from the sounds of it, the yoks probably did good for as many canyon runs as ya made. maybe you can get some yoks or ziex and only use them for canyon blasts and the cheapies for day to day. don't be mad that the tires aren't grippy, coz they WILL last a long time. just tell me they aren't as bad as the stock tires.:D

shimmy_yaz
11-27-2003, 11:00 AM
yeah i hate the stock tires they are freakin horrible

BlasTech
11-27-2003, 11:34 AM
I think you could get 10K out of the ES-100s.

If they wore on the inside, you might have toe-in, and an alignment will fix that. If they wore on the very outer shoulder, then you need some more negative camber.

I also recommend you rotate the fronts to the back every couple 'events'.

Be careful with those new ones, they look like stock tires.

Suk02Si
11-27-2003, 01:35 PM
I was surprised as to how evenly the Yokes wore. I always checked for uneven wear and did rotate my tires often.

I was thinking of keeping these tires for daily driving and having a set of Yokes, or even Azenis, for 'events'. I have a daily beater and only drive the EP fri-sun. Every weekend I drive through Little-T about 2-3 times a day. So to have a different set of tires/wheels for canyon running, would be too much hassle.

These tires are much worse than stock. I remember when I had stockies, I was able to brake much harder and accelerate much sooner. I will be picking up a set of 15" steelies and putting these tires on them. I'm going to use them for my '84 Accord.

:D

chunky
11-27-2003, 04:22 PM
holy crap, 3000 miles!?!?!?!?!

it took me 30,000 miles to burn through mine. I wore them to secondary rubber, but no cords showing. I do a lot of highway driving, but I also auto-x a lot, and in general drove pretty damn hard for all 30,000 of those miles.

I'm guessing the larger tire size I use helped the wear rates a bit, 225/50/15 has a lot more rubber on it than a 205 or 195 tire.

bobdobbs
11-27-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by oldschoolimport
like I told my grandmother, you can get good tires that will stop, turn, and go, or you can get an 80,000 mile tire. one or the other. long life, high tread wear tires, get that designation for a reason.
You had this conversation with your grandmother? Cool granny. :D

Poor tread life is one of the reasons I didn't get the ES100s. The other was the relatively high noise. That's the price for sticky tires.

I've got about 2000 miles on my ContiExtremeContacts and they still look new. They won't keep up with the ES100s, but they're good enough for me.

Suk02Si
11-28-2003, 01:26 AM
Yeah Chunky, 3000 :( I wore through my stockies in 6000. Looks like I'll be getting some Ziex pretty soon, in 205/55/15. What wheels were you using the 225/50's on? I wanted 225's but wanted to wait until I picked up some 7" wide wheels. :D

oldschoolimport
11-28-2003, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
You had this conversation with your grandmother? Cool granny. :D yeah, she late brakes the lincoln and one of the fronts slid, one time in the rain, and she called me up bitchin wantin to pull a set of tires off that had less than 10k. she ended up gettin some michelin rainforce-something that is 45k warranty. now I have 1 happy granny:D

chunky
11-28-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Suk02Si
Yeah Chunky, 3000 :( I wore through my stockies in 6000. Looks like I'll be getting some Ziex pretty soon, in 205/55/15. What wheels were you using the 225/50's on? I wanted 225's but wanted to wait until I picked up some 7" wide wheels. :D

damn, 3000 miles? i can't believe that. either the pavement must be horrid, or you do a lot of spinning wheels/sliding.

I have 15x7 wheels, check my sig.

Mighty_Mouse
11-28-2003, 06:09 PM
Ziex are garbage. Not as bad as what you've got on there now, but not good. You can do a LOT better.