PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everybody!!!

GotKraut
11-27-2003, 09:19 AM
Hi! I currently drive a 2003 VW Golf TDI. It's a great car and I love it to death but it's kinda slow. Fuel economy is wonderful tho, I get a cruising range of about 650 miles between diesel station visits. Right now, I think that I've worked out most of the bugs but I'm a little bit concerned about the long-term reliability. I used to have a 1999 Honda Prelude Type SH that never had any problems whatsoever. Unfortunately, it met an untimely death. I've owned other Honda products and I've had pretty good luck with them. So I'm thinking about coming back to Honda and I'm thinking about getting a Civic Si.

I just have a few questions: How does the fit and finish on the British-built Civic Si compare to US, Canadian, or Japanese Hondas? I imagine it's probably better than my Brazilian-built Golf. For those of you that have owned other Hondas, has the Si been just as reliable as your other Hondas? For those of you that have have owned or own VW's, does the Civic Si handle as well as the MkIV cars (Golf, Jetta, New Beetle, Audi TT)? Finally, has your Civic Si been pretty reliable?

Basically, I'm looking for a car that's peppy, gets reasonable gas mileage and that spends more time on the road than at the stealership. If you guys think you have problems, pay a visit to vwvortex.com and look at the Golf/Jetta discussion boards. There are all sorts of problems with coil packs, MAF's, window regulators, heated seats that catch on fire, timing belts that break early, etc.

Thanks in advance!

TrippZ
11-27-2003, 12:11 PM
Well if I'm correct, the engines in the european cars are set in lower, putting the center of gravity lower and leading to better response. To be honest, I don't really realize the difference, but with an RSX-S Rear Sway Bar and a simple drop the handling is supposed to be extremely nice.

If you're asking how ewll the parts are held together, I find htat everything is very solidly intact and the only common problem I've seen is that the passenger foot panel manages to come loose. I believe there were a few cases of a bolt in the dashboard coming loose and rolling around too.

If you're looking for a Trans-Am Killer, you're looking at the wrong car. I came to the Si from a 95 HP Mercury Capri so I feel like my car is pretty fast, even if it runs 15s in the 1320. Hell, my goal is ot get into the 14's with the stock block, and frankly, as dumb as this may sound, I find mid 14's VERY fast. 13's are just insane to me. It really depends on what your mentality is.

I don't know much about Golf's, but I'm assuming this is the 4 Door body style, non-turbo, right? I believe people get about 300 Miles to the gallon, using about 17 bucks to fill up a tank on 89. It works for me, cause i barely drive at all, a tank lasts me a few weeks.

I think the upgrade to an Si would be a very nice, solid choice. The unique characteristics (such as the outside shape, the shifter location, and the GREAT seats) should make your upgrade pleasent and the afterthought very satisfying.

Cheers and happy thanksgiving,
John

Go_EP_Go
11-27-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by GotKraut

heated seats that catch on fire

ouch!~

ep3hatchattack
11-27-2003, 12:44 PM
I completely agree. I most importantly know how much trouble i ran into while i had a VW. Maintenance shop to maintenance shop....I dont know about the 2003, they may be more reliable, but since its not German made, but instead brazilian, i hope that you didnt pay as much....IMO a SI would do a great job for you. It wouldnt get quiet the gasmilage as you do now, but you will have more money from zero maintenance till 100,000 mile check up which saves you money... take care, and hope to see you posting a thread about getting a new SI in the near future.....thanks, dave

Brettnyt
11-27-2003, 12:57 PM
K20A3 > Turbo Diesel :D

Yeah, the EP has great pep for any daily driver and with a first scheduled tune up at 110k miles, how can reliability be questioned? :D

RedLight_Si
11-27-2003, 01:37 PM
If you are looking for reliabilty, go Toyota. Not that Hondas are unreliable, Toyotas are more reliable and seem to have stronger components(engines,transmissions,parts,ect.).Alot of people say Toyotas are overbuilt.This is the 3rd Honda Ive owned and Ive had problems with them all(dont know why I keep buying them),but this one seems to be the worst of them all. Ive been to the dealership to many times and its still not right. I suppose you can blame this on it being built in England,but I really dont know how much that matters.The engine isnt very smooth running due to the variable timing control. My paint job is poor too. There are places where it doesnt seem to be any clearcoat and there is alot of orange peel,more so than other vehicles Ive owned.(If this matters to you.)So I guess I would say it has been reliable to the point where it hasnt left me stranded somewhere.What I do like about the car are the white face guages,the steering wheel,the seats,the uniqueness of the car itself (though the front looks alot like a Focus from a distance)and the shifter (the placement and the action). There are alot people on here who have complained about shifting problems,so I guess Ive been lucky so far on that.

You should go for a Toyota. The Celica is cool. They are also coming out with the Corolla XRS. Its got 170hp,6 speed,16's and some other things. Check out their site. Good luck with whatever you decide.

(The above is only my opinion.)

ep3hatchattack
11-27-2003, 02:08 PM
It sounds like he got the needle in the haystack.. No problems ever on mine, great paint, very peppy, strong engine that beats celicas.....celicas can suck my dick btw, ugliest car ever ewwww

GotKraut
11-27-2003, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the responses.

Yup, it's a 4-door Golf with a turbo. However, with only 90 hp it's not very fast. It has great low-end torque which I've been told is a caracteristic of diesel engines. It doesn't smoke at all which is saying quite a bit for a diesel. There are all sorts of mods that you can do to make the car fairly swift but the downside to all of them is a voided warranty and lots of sooty, black smoke.

All cars have problems, that's a fact of life since cars are designed by humans. I'm just looking for one that has less major problems than my VW. If I do get a Civic Si, I'll probably leave it stock form. I'm not expecting Corvette-killing performance, I just want something that has good day-to-day, practical use with a little bit of fun thrown in.

I'm not a huge fan of the Celica plus it has a premium fuel requirement. I think Toyota makes great cars but I don't really like what they are offering in my price range. The only other choice is the Matrix, but I'm not too thrilled about it either. I like the "boxier" shape of the Civic Si since it probably has more headroom and better space utility.

Manual transmissions in Hondas are wonderful. The one in my VW feels like a stick in a bucket of greased rocks. I've read that a few people on this board have had some problems with their manual trannys. Many MkIV drivers are having somewhat similar problems with their manual tannys like the 2nd gear grind and clutches that go out at 15K miles. To add insult to injury, VW dealers have been very reluctant to replace or repair transmissions.

BTW, is the Civic Si comfortable for long road trips? How is the A/C performance in 100+ degree weather? How do you like the stock Michelin MXV tires?

Other cars I'm considering are the Mazda Protege5, Subaru Impreza RS (non-WRX), and maybe a Ford Focus. So far the Civic Si is at the top of my list because of my great previous experience with Honda.

Go_EP_Go
11-27-2003, 05:25 PM
if u go Toyota get the new solara's...they're pretty tite

ep3hatchattack
11-27-2003, 05:26 PM
I just typed for 20 minutes and covered every question you asked and then my Kazaa froze my computer and i dont have the time to retype it again, but bottomline,

Mazda- decent engine, good handling,
Matrix- SUCKS
Suburu- good if you need the AWD
SI- Good car, no probs, tranny is fine to me, maybe i just shift smoother than others

long road trips-

+ Good seat for posture, Gas Milage, Leg Room front and back, well insulated, great AC, Smooth ride, Very Quiet inside, sunroof

- No arm rest, stiffer seats better for stabiliy in seat than lounging, 2 door,

any other Q's. pm me ok, thanks bud, GO SI

chubbychu
11-28-2003, 12:14 AM
I just want something that has good day-to-day, practical use with a little bit of fun thrown in.

this sounds like the civic si to me =o)

but a couple things that people have a problem with is notchy shifting, i mean, its fine for me because this is my first shifter and im used to it, but its not exactly "butter". also random squeaks and rattles appear, but they arent a BIG problem. so ,yea, for the deals you can get for the civic si for a 02-03 id say go for it =o)

stock tires are poo poo. but its not a big deal if you arent REAL performance oriented

BluePearl03Si
11-28-2003, 01:58 AM
Mine has had quite a few problems but most are the result of incompetent techs.

Any other car I'd of sold by now, but for all it's trouble, I like my EP.

And it hasn't given me any trouble since the problems up to about 3,000 miles.

And none of it was severe, just cosmetic stuff that needed to be fixed.

Maybe it's because I've always owned beaters and got to the point where I'm not even mad if something breaks, I just fix it, and keep going.

graham
11-28-2003, 09:31 PM
I've owned nothing but hondas:

93 Civic Si: 125 hp, fun little coupe. The most reliable car I have owned. I put 140,000 kms on it and only had to replace exhaust, brakes & timing belt. I never even had to replace the clutch.

95 Acura Integra GSR: 170 hp, wicked engine, but a bit loud and annoying for city driving (no low end torque). I replaced the clutch twice over a 4 year period, exhaust held up, I had some minor electrical problems. It was very well built as well ... but not as trouble-free as my 93 civic.

02 SiR: nice torque for bombing around the city, a lot of room inside, fairly quiet and civilized, no HP at high rpms (compared to the GSR), excellent steering response (best out of 3), very fun to drive. I've had no problems with mine so far (20,000 km).

I test drove the toyota matrix ... the shifter is horrible ... you really can't beat a honda transmission ... of course, some people on this board are having lots of problems with it, but personally, I love it.

Good luck ...

oogy-boogy
11-28-2003, 09:49 PM
Personally, I wouldn't think twice about getting my SI if I had to do it all over again. It pretty much sums up everything you were looking for in a car.

Also, after a 6 hour ride in the SI, I've come to realize that it's a very comfortable car on longer trips. I'm 6' 185 lbs and I fit comfortably with plenty of room to spare. we also have some bigger members that also find it just as comfortable.

Zero Three Si
11-28-2003, 10:13 PM
All of these posts have been great guys! Thanks for helping this guy out.

There is a user by the name of "Driftin Si". He's owned plenty of VW's. He actually came from a Golf 2.0 if I remember correctly. He can give you probably what would be a very in depth analysis.

My girl is currently driving a 2000 2.0 beetle. Honestly, I can't say that VW's have impressed me much. The car only has 40,000 miles on it. The stock headlight went out and I couldn't figure out how to take the headlight out. The dealer charged me 50 bucks. They also LIED to me and said there is a special tool required to take the headlight out. I learned after the fact how to take the head lamp out. All the belts are making noises and I can't stand the transmission.

I've only had this one experience with VW's though. So maybe it's bad luck.

GotKraut
11-29-2003, 02:24 AM
All of you have been very helpful, thanks. :)

Keep the posts coming!

My other previous Hondas have been a 1990 Acura Legend (that I put around 210,000 miles on it before selling it), a 1999 Honda CBR600F4 (great for rush hour), and a Honda mower which refuses to die.

The Toyota Solara seems nice, I have a friend of a friend that has a V6 5-speed and its very smooth. I might take it into consideration as well.

I can deal without an armrest, my Golf has one but I never use it because it gets in the way of shifting. I prefer a firm, supportive seat over a Buick-like sofa seat, I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the seats in the Si.

Rattles and squeaks aren't too big of a deal either since my Golf has plenty of those, I just crank up the radio. Tires/wheels can always be upgraded, hopefully the Si doesn't have any vibration issues with putting on bigger wheels and more agressive tires.

I'm about the same height as oogy-boogy (I'm 5'11" and 150 lbs.)so it's good to know that the driving position is favorable for 6-footers.

I know exactly what you mean about the falling windows, peenaySI. This is a very common issue on all of the mkiv VW's. In fact, VW is offering a 7/unlimited warranty on the window regulators because they are so crappily built. Zero Three Si, be sure to check the oil in the Beetle once in awhile because the VW 2.slow engine is well known for having oil consumption issues even when the engines are fully broken-in. Most VW dealers are terrible (at least the ones that I've dealt with) and have no customer service.

With my Prelude, I just went to the dealer for oil changes, it never had any issues so I never really knew what Honda service was like. How are Honda dealers with warranty issues? Are they willing to fix them or do they try to pass the blame on the customer? Are all of you happy with the quality of your Honda service department?

SiR Medic
11-29-2003, 07:31 AM
My SiR (so far) has been the most dependable car I have ever owned. It is the second most fun to drive (my '87 RX-7 was just a little more fun do to the RWD).

As TrippZ said: "If you're looking for a Trans-Am Killer, you're looking at the wrong car." The Si simply can't keep up with the SRT-4, EVO, WRX, RSX-S, or even the GTI. With simple upgrades however, it will handle just as well.

Seems to me that the people on this board who are not content with their EPs did not do the proper research before hand. They expected much more power, and were upset when a simple intake, header, exhaust combo did not boost power past 200.

The car itself is VERY easy to live with. That shifter is smooth as silk, the seats are great, everthing is put together well. Coming from a Golf, you will definately appreciate the utility of the EP, with its folding seats, hatchback, and plenty of rear headroom.

Mileage won't be as good as your TDI, but really... If you want better mileage, you'd be better off with a Prius!

blueiedgod
11-29-2003, 07:47 AM
I used to have an early 90's Jetta with the 1.8. Although I loved the way it drove, the reliability issues made me switch back to Honda. Since then I had a few late model Honda's and by far this Si is the worst quality Honda ever. For Honda's defence the Si drives exaclty like a VW, with very tight suspension and great corner hugging, but it also has VW problems.

Do a search on factory defects here on EPhatch.

Common problems are:
1: Window regulators, similar to VW, but the windows don't fall into the doors, rather they sit cockeyed. I had then replaced on both doors along with the weather seal that windows ripped
2: Door handles, I had both of mine fixed under warranty as they have snapped.
3: Clear coat peeled from the rear portion of the roof, dealer repainted the car under warranty.
4: Engine eats oil, just like a VW. Dealer and Honda headquaters insist that 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles is normal. Well, it is not normal in my book. Now at 10,000 miles oil consumption has subsided to quart every 1500 to 2000 miles.
5: There was water collecting in the spare tire well. It took dealer 3 attempts to fix it. Water was coming in from underneath.

As far as Matrix goes, Si is smaller than the Matrix. Matrix was on my list when I was shopping, but Honda came in at a better price at the time as the comparably equipped Matrix XRS/VIbe GT. Some Matrix owners actually have asked me if I had the "rare" Matrix Coupe. The cars are very similar, the front is almost identical except for a few minor details. The rear window visibility in the Si is as bad as Matrix. Potinac Vibe has one feature I wish Si had, flat folding front passenger seat. It would be an excellent place for my GPS enabled laptop on those long distance journeys.

Si's interior is its biggest asset. The shifter makes you wonder "why haven't they thought of it before" it is very confortable. I am a 6 footer as well, and find seating position very confortable without having to resort to 45

civicracer1128
11-29-2003, 09:10 AM
I too came from the mk4 vw world. i had a 00 vw jetta for a year before i gave it up for all the same reasons...windows, coilpacks, 2nd gear grind and the fact that vw voided my warrenty for modding the car. theyre just not worth it.

and i think you asked about handling???? vws suck. i know everyone thinks german cars handle well but they in fact dont. it shows it weight around corners and the suspension bounces like crazy. sure its a smooth ride but i thought germans were drivers?? i got in the si and hit some turns and i was sold. its not taht fast but it would kill any TDI. i had a 1.8T with a chip, it would eat my ep alive but at the same time it wasnt worth it ever for all the trouble. also i know think(after catback and intake) that my cars really only lacking in torque. the power IS there i just dont chirp 2nd and 3rd.

TrippZ
11-29-2003, 12:24 PM
Now that civicracer mentioned it, I believe I heard or read something about a Volkswagon Jetta, the previous model before the current one (don't know the chassis codes, sorry, Honda fan), that was being modded by a guy that works at a car company (AEM or something or another). He talked about it being a "nose heavy pig." I think that's verbatim too.

I think someone that you'd have a real nice time talking to is the old regular Steve, or US_Si. I believe he owns quickvws.com (or was it vwvortex.com?). Very knowledgeable about cars - but VWs and Hondas are what come to mind when you mention his name. Give him a holler, he'll help straighten a few things out.