PDA

View Full Version : ***aftermarket tie rod end***

team ERA 5
11-27-2003, 10:31 PM
alright heres what happend....i took in my car and they actually found out why my steering wheel squeaks when i turn my wheel...its my steering rack....its because i dropped my car and my steering rack went from -- to this V .... and from what the tech said he said all the grease from the top when down so he poked a lil hole im guessing where the boot was (is this bad what he did) and sprayed it with white litium grease....and it went away!!!...he said try to get aftermarket tie rod ends so it will straighten it back up and the sound will definately go away...he also said raising your car back up will make it go away too (which im mostlikely not doing unless i realllly realllly have too)...so yea just wondering if any company makes aftermarket tie rod ends...im guessing shorter ones or angled ones to straigten this out??? or if there are any in production....so to sum this all up its no the bearing in the struts or anything with the struts its your steeeering rack :( :o :'( :eek: :confused:

team ERA 5
11-27-2003, 10:33 PM
im not a suspension expert...but i loooked at the ends of the steering rack where the tie rod boots are at and it looks adjustable or am i wrong????

william
11-27-2003, 11:21 PM
I think that with the mugen coilovers they relocate the arm on the strut body to fix this problem. You may want to think about saving some money for a set of those.

team ERA 5
11-27-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by william
I think that with the mugen coilovers they relocate the arm on the strut body to fix this problem. You may want to think about saving some money for a set of those.

are the TEIN basics like that too or no???

william
11-27-2003, 11:24 PM
???????

chubbychu
11-28-2003, 12:30 AM
sooo...does this mean everyone that drops their car 2.5 inches is gonna have this problem?

Suk02Si
11-28-2003, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
sooo...does this mean everyone that drops their car 2.5 inches is gonna have this problem?

yes

One company makes an adapter that is placed in between the tie-rod attachment point on the shock and the tie-rod end itself. It lets you mount the tie-rod upside down. The reason why you can't mount the tie-rod upside down without that adapter is because the hole in the shock is tapered(wider top, narrow bottom). If you were to just flip the tie-rod end and try bolt it up from under, it wouldn't seat properly.

Originally posted by team ERA 5
im not a suspension expert...but i loooked at the ends of the steering rack where the tie rod boots are at and it looks adjustable or am i wrong????

They adjust the Toe

chubbychu
11-28-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Suk02Si
yes

One company makes an adapter that is placed in between the tie-rod attachment point on the shock and the tie-rod end itself. It lets you mount the tie-rod upside down. The reason why you can't mount the tie-rod upside down without that adapter is because the hole in the shock is tapered(wider top, narrow bottom). If you were to just flip the tie-rod end and try bolt it up from under, it wouldn't seat properly.

WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN?! do i have to buy anything else for a 2.0 h&r drop? somebody put these in plainol2k2si terms please. thanks!

02SilverSiHB
11-28-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by plainol2k2si
WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN?! do i have to buy anything else for a 2.0 h&r drop? somebody put these in plainol2k2si terms please. thanks!
you're car won't fall apart if you don't have something to correct the tie rod angle. Basically, stock, the tie rods...the bars that turn your wheels, are level stock. When you lower the car, they go into an angle and the tie rod ends are stressed more, creating a squeak sound after driving around a bit.

I don't think anyone is making them for sale yet, but hopefully soon, here is Mugens fix for that problem...and no they don't sell it, it's for their race car they made:

http://easyfinder.atnext.com/images/next-photos/EasyFinder/603/640pixfolder/X603-057/15.jpg
http://easyfinder.atnext.com/images/next-photos/EasyFinder/603/640pixfolder/X603-057/17.jpg

02SilverSiHB
11-28-2003, 10:51 PM
here's an example of a fix, slightly different of course, but you get the idea
http://www.djmsuspension.com/Articles/BirthofaTieRod.htm

Here's tein's...maybe they'll make some for us!? I emailed and asked
http://www.tein.com/tierod.html

I do fear though, that I need to find a modification, as I do not know how much longer mine will last.

team ERA 5
11-28-2003, 11:13 PM
i was talking to my mechanic at honda and he said u can adjust one side of the tie rod....that all he said...wont that raise up the steering rod a lil...but im guessing it will affect something else rite....probably the toe?....

02SilverSiHB
11-29-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by team ERA 5
i was talking to my mechanic at honda and he said u can adjust one side of the tie rod....that all he said...wont that raise up the steering rod a lil...but im guessing it will affect something else rite....probably the toe?....
he's probably talking about the only way to adjust the stock one is when you turn it counterclockwise or clockwise..this is done to correct toe. This won't help you correct the angle the tie bar sits at when it's lowered

team ERA 5
11-29-2003, 02:14 PM
awww man...haha thanks a lot though for the info...

will someone make theses for our cars nowwww!!! arg