PDA

View Full Version : Is a 2-ton jack lift good enough?

SiR_d1
11-29-2003, 02:07 PM
I am planning on getting a jack lift soon and I wanted to know if a 2 ton jack lift was good enough or would I need something higher?

I also wanted to know what would be the correct weight load for a jack stand for the ep (2 ton, 2 1/4, 2 1/2, or 3)?

Thanks

Anthony

02SilverSiHB
11-29-2003, 02:14 PM
yeah, mine works fine, it's a 2 ton jack

SiR_d1
11-29-2003, 02:17 PM
what about the stand loads?

is 2 tons ok?

TrippZ
11-29-2003, 02:29 PM
ep = 2700 ish

2 tons = 4000 lbs

i got 2 1/4 :cool:

Civicvtec1ps
11-29-2003, 02:38 PM
You will be fine with 2 ton jack lift. I used to have one but changed with 3 ton craftsman.Alot better. Worth every penny imo.

Peking
11-29-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Civicvtec1ps
You will be fine with 2 ton jack lift. I used to have one but changed with 3 ton craftsman.Alot better. Worth every penny imo.

Yeah, go to Sears. They always have good deals, just bought my friend a floor jack and jackstands for christmas :D

siver-SI
11-29-2003, 03:04 PM
Yea a 2 ton is great. I have a 3 ton since I have older cars that weigh over 5000 lbs!(incase wondering 78 lincoln Mark 5 460CI cast iron engine, engine and trans weighs around 1500+ lbs by itself).

Just make sure you get a quick pump option. It is a great thing to have. It will make it a lot easyer to line up the jack under the car.

Zero Three Si
11-29-2003, 03:56 PM
There should be some really good deals going on right now, being that it's the holidays.

BluePearl03Si
11-29-2003, 04:04 PM
Craftsman all the way if you want quality hand tools....

Some of their stuff is gimmicky and low quality, but the vast majority of their tools work very well. Most of their power tools except for the low end ones work very well too.

Snap-on charges 8 bucks for a single 1/2in socket....no, not the wrench, a SOCKET. The quality is great but they have a nasty tendancy to be stolen out of your garage.

Craftsman also sells great carpentry tools if you want to make yourself a wooden bodykit :D :D :D

StrangeShadow
11-29-2003, 04:14 PM
my lifts easy and fine with a 2 ton, but I wouldn't mind having a 3 ton craftsman, plus they're probably all going real cheap this time of year.

siver-SI
11-29-2003, 04:26 PM
I buy snap-on now but that is because I get a good discount and a large account there with no interest to pay. :D I like their quality a lot better the Sears do to I do not strip nuts and bolts like I do with sears stuff. Also the do not break as easy as Sears. I brake a lot of sears in a year. If you like sears then get Stanley tools because last I heard Stanley makes the hand tool for sears because sears sold all their plants and Stanley took over in making them. I do have to say Snap-on is a lot of money for someone that does not use them everyday. My discount gets me very close to sears price so that is why I buy them most of all.

BluePearl03Si
11-29-2003, 10:34 PM
Could you "Discount" some sockets for me? ;P

oldschoolimport
11-30-2003, 10:02 AM
yesterday at sears I got a 3 ton jack, 3 ton pair of stands, creeper seat, fender cover, pair of wheelchocks, jumper cables, and 4 way lug wrench all in one box for 99 bucks.:D

RiceCzechs
11-30-2003, 10:18 AM
Wow... that's a really nice deal... how's the quality of the creeper? I just might have to pick that up... I'd duplicate a few things, but it never hurts to have a spare tool or six. :)

siver-SI
11-30-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by BluePearl03Si
Could you "Discount" some sockets for me? ;P

Ok I will add you to my list of around a 100 people that have asked me that. The sad point is that I am not kidding because of all race teams and gear heads that I know.

BTW there oldschoolimport that was a sweet deal there. Did the jack come with the quick pump? If so I might have to go look at it. Jacks at my work are more over kill then I need.

oldschoolimport
11-30-2003, 11:58 PM
the creeper seat is made out of square tubing that is just bent, not cut and welded. I think it is their $30 version. the quality of the casters and such looks pretty good. I will probably weld a vertical support under the front because from the side, the frame is shaped like a C with the top and bottom flattened. so basically the front is unsupported. it may be fine, but I go 260lbs so I ain't taken no chances. it is not a lay down creeper, it is the seat with tool tray under your butt.

the jack is not equipped with quick lift, unfortunately. it does have a lift height of 19.5" though. just enough for my big ass to get under the EP:D

raiyo
12-01-2003, 12:16 AM
2 ton is enough. the stronger the better for me. better safe than sorrt right? make sure u get a well built one. i got a 3 ton jack from sears. 100 bucks for 3 ton craftsman jack, 3 ton jack stands, stopper, t wrench.