PDA

View Full Version : Stock 2003 ep3 . Going to boost.. Need help

djshockwave
11-30-2003, 01:14 AM
Hey.. Im a-wear of the differnt kits... my ep3 is stock, except i have a AEM v2 intake, If i did get the Greddy Kit, what would i need to get seperate, i know about intercooler but where can i get a 3inch exhaust to go with turbo or do i even need one ? will I need headers ect... I dont know much about turbo wise work... So Also if any Cali people are here, maybe they know a place to get the job done, or maybe then know how to do it and can help me =) if anyone has a ep3 in so-cal and its boosted plz email me I could use any help!!!

djshockwavenbr@homtail.com
aim : djsh0ckwave

chet
11-30-2003, 03:20 AM
There should be a downpipe or testpipe to take the place of your headers. You'll need some typical guages if they're not included. Such as boost guage, boost controller and turbo timer. I've talked to a few guys about the exhaust situation. ..You'll probably get a decent amount of horse (maybe 20 to 30hp if you go 3" from the downpipe and all the way back--so I've read and heard). At the same time, you will lose low end torque.

By the way, one of best vendors to deal with right through ephatch is Chuck and Rocky of ShowstoppersUSA. They're in the vendor section and they have the Greddy kit available (not sure if its in stock). Ph# (818)-243-0954

djshockwave
11-30-2003, 02:58 PM
Anyone in SOCAL that can help me put this turbo on once i buy it LOL

esmith13
11-30-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by chet
There should be a downpipe or testpipe to take the place of your headers. You'll need some typical guages if they're not included. Such as boost guage, boost controller and turbo timer. I've talked to a few guys about the exhaust situation. ..You'll probably get a decent amount of horse (maybe 20 to 30hp if you go 3" from the downpipe and all the way back--so I've read and heard). At the same time, you will lose low end torque.

By the way, one of best vendors to deal with right through ephatch is Chuck and Rocky of ShowstoppersUSA. They're in the vendor section and they have the Greddy kit available (not sure if its in stock). Ph# (818)-243-0954

Damn dude... You ARE a little bit misinformed....
(NOT picking a fight here)

1. A down/test pipe replaces the stock down pipe and cat. The Header is replaced with a turbo manifold for the turbo itself to bolt onto. Some kits don't even have a test pipe, they use the stock cat or recommend a high-flo cat. I THINK (but not sure) the cat is used on a Greddy Kit.
2. With the GReddy Kit and it's eManage, guages are not a necessity, but are always recommended. Boost, Air Fuel, and EGT (Exhaust Gas Temp) are the recommended guages, but most peeps don't get EGT cause it's EXPENSIVE comparatively. So me Old School tuners would use Water Temp instead of EGT. But, once again, their not really needed with this kit.
3. Exhaust setup... Well, how do I put this without starting a fight unintentionally..... GReddy is the "weakest" turbo kit for the EP. It's borderline still the weakest with the Intercooler upgrade even. I have the Cybernation Stage I kit which is arguably the strongest kit. That's not the point I'm trying to make tho so don't get upset... When CN developed their kit - they started with a 3" down/test pipe. They made on average 240WHP. A few months later, they switched up to a 2.5" down/test pipe and made 262WHP -- on the SAME EXACT car, mind you! What they figured out was, that the EP needs a little restriction to make some extra ponies. Opening up the back end to 3" lost some of that HP/TQ. Therefore, unless you gotage 3 or 4 (which I believe is impossible with the greddy kit) you would NEVER need a 3" exhaust setup. An HKS 2.5" setup or ANY GOOD 2.25" aftermarket exhaust is more than sufficient for this kit as well as RevHard and Cybernation Kits below Stage 3 or 4. So if you have an exhaust already, don't bother changing it. If you don't have one yet - then I guess it's your call weather or not to go 2.5" or 3", but it's really not needed.

Oh, and on that guage subject... Just to go into detail...
1. Boost Guage - needed on RevHard and CN kits to make sure wastegate is working and your not overboosting or spiking. With GReddy, you get a Mitsu Turbo -- their wastegate is integrated in the turbo itself.

2. Air/Fuel Guage - well, i'm not familiar with eManage, but if it's NOT user adjustable on the fly, YOU don't need an air/fuel guage, cause you only need to see that stuff while your making adjustments. A shop can see that stuff when hooked up to your OBDII jack in your car for tuning purposes, they don't need a guage either. CN owners use theirs cause our S-AFC is user changable/tunable on the fly even while driving.

3. EGT or Water Temp - For people with adjustable setups that tune their own car on the fly, the EGT and/or Water Temp guages are early warning signs that you fucked up and you engine could blow. In alot of cases (but not all) your exhaust gas and your water temp will raise WAY too high a few seconds before BANG! occours... These guages (when watched carefully) MAY give you a chance to save your car before it's too late.

Anyways, hope you don't take offense to my remarks, chet, but I want djshockwave to know what's up BEFORE he drops the dollars. Not many peeps were here to help ME when I needed it....

Eric

chet
11-30-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by esmith13
Damn dude... You ARE a little bit misinformed....
(NOT picking a fight here)

1. A down/test pipe replaces the stock down pipe and cat. The Header is replaced with a turbo manifold for the turbo itself to bolt onto. Some kits don't even have a test pipe, they use the stock cat or recommend a high-flo cat. I THINK (but not sure) the cat is used on a Greddy Kit.
2. With the GReddy Kit and it's eManage, guages are not a necessity, but are always recommended. Boost, Air Fuel, and EGT (Exhaust Gas Temp) are the recommended guages, but most peeps don't get EGT cause it's EXPENSIVE comparatively. So me Old School tuners would use Water Temp instead of EGT. But, once again, their not really needed with this kit.
3. Exhaust setup... Well, how do I put this without starting a fight unintentionally..... GReddy is the "weakest" turbo kit for the EP. It's borderline still the weakest with the Intercooler upgrade even. I have the Cybernation Stage I kit which is arguably the strongest kit. That's not the point I'm trying to make tho so don't get upset... When CN developed their kit - they started with a 3" down/test pipe. They made on average 240WHP. A few months later, they switched up to a 2.5" down/test pipe and made 262WHP -- on the SAME EXACT car, mind you! What they figured out was, that the EP needs a little restriction to make some extra ponies. Opening up the back end to 3" lost some of that HP/TQ. Therefore, unless you gotage 3 or 4 (which I believe is impossible with the greddy kit) you would NEVER need a 3" exhaust setup. An HKS 2.5" setup or ANY GOOD 2.25" aftermarket exhaust is more than sufficient for this kit as well as RevHard and Cybernation Kits below Stage 3 or 4. So if you have an exhaust already, don't bother changing it. If you don't have one yet - then I guess it's your call weather or not to go 2.5" or 3", but it's really not needed.

Oh, and on that guage subject... Just to go into detail...
1. Boost Guage - needed on RevHard and CN kits to make sure wastegate is working and your not overboosting or spiking. With GReddy, you get a Mitsu Turbo -- their wastegate is integrated in the turbo itself.

2. Air/Fuel Guage - well, i'm not familiar with eManage, but if it's NOT user adjustable on the fly, YOU don't need an air/fuel guage, cause you only need to see that stuff while your making adjustments. A shop can see that stuff when hooked up to your OBDII jack in your car for tuning purposes, they don't need a guage either. CN owners use theirs cause our S-AFC is user changable/tunable on the fly even while driving.

3. EGT or Water Temp - For people with adjustable setups that tune their own car on the fly, the EGT and/or Water Temp guages are early warning signs that you fucked up and you engine could blow. In alot of cases (but not all) your exhaust gas and your water temp will raise WAY too high a few seconds before BANG! occours... These guages (when watched carefully) MAY give you a chance to save your car before it's too late.

Anyways, hope you don't take offense to my remarks, chet, but I want djshockwave to know what's up BEFORE he drops the dollars. Not many peeps were here to help ME when I needed it....

Eric

One thing you'll find out about me, I am total noob and not afraid to say it. When it comes to being misinformed, find me:D Thanks for the info. Everything I do to this car, its the first time I've ever done any of it. So learning what's correct is the most important thing for me, no need to worry about it Eric. I'm glad you dropped the info on me too. I wasn't there for any of my install, didn't learn as they went. Didn't take the opportunity to do much research either.

esmith13
11-30-2003, 07:13 PM
Not a problem :D

I just have been on the receiving end of that kind of post before, and it usualls seems offensive or like an attack at first... I just didn't want you to get the wrong idea. Glad your were level headed and open about it. It's hard to find people like you around here anymore - Most just start the flame fest... ;)

Eric

chet
11-30-2003, 08:49 PM
Not a problem :D

I just have been on the receiving end of that kind of post before, and it usualls seems offensive or like an attack at first... I just didn't want you to get the wrong idea. Glad your were level headed and open about it. It's hard to find people like you around here anymore - Most just start the flame fest... ;)

Eric

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. No need for me to argue. Its the stupid topics that tend to get overrun with bullshit replies. That's when I like to argue and start shit. This is an important topic, at least its not bullshit. And I don't want djshockwave to get any bad info either. BTW, how are you liking your turbo setup.

esmith13
11-30-2003, 09:00 PM
cool dude.

Oh, and I LOVE my setup :D

Eric

djshockwave
11-30-2003, 10:50 PM
Cool, so i probly wont be going greddy then, thanks alot that answered alot of my questions.... But i live in socal - and i called some place and they told me 2,000$ to do the job.. (just isntallation) and thats a rip off.... I dont know another shop that would do this work in Socal?

ep_nezay
12-01-2003, 12:58 AM

3. Well, how do I put this without starting a fight unintentionally..... GReddy is the "weakest" turbo kit for the EP. It's borderline still the weakest with the Intercooler upgrade even. I have the Cybernation Stage I kit which is arguably the strongest kit.

Eric

Sorry, but you know I had to answer to your comment.
Have you owned a Greddy kit on your EP? Or drove one intercooled and tuned?
I dont see how you can call a greddy kit "weak" while my kit is making 240whp @ 7psi. You guys(CN) are dynoing your kits @9psi it better make more than 240whp.Better yet, I have yet to see a different dyno than the one from the website(262whp). No one knows what psi that was done at.
Bottom line, dont underestimate if you really dont know the facts, unless you want to base your facts on just "I read that..."
For the record, Im not bashing on CN and from what "I read" seems like a good turbo kit. But I dont know facts(personal experiences).

PS: "IM NOT TRYING TO PICK A FIGHT" nor make enemies, this site is to help everyone and each other, right?Beer on me:)

ep_nezay
12-01-2003, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by djshockwave
Cool, so i probly wont be going greddy then, thanks alot that answered alot of my questions.... But i live in socal - and i called some place and they told me 2,000$ to do the job.. (just isntallation) and thats a rip off.... I dont know another shop that would do this work in Socal?

Yea, that is a rip off. If you have a Greddy kit, call Showstoppers and tell them I sent you. They should be able to do the job for about $500-600.

ep_nezay
12-01-2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by djshockwave
If i did get the Greddy Kit, what would i need to get seperate.

djshockwavenbr@homtail.com
aim : djsh0ckwave

Youll need;
1)boost gauge
2)boost controller
3)BOV(blow off valve)

About the exhaust, you can do custom pipping for about $125. Just IM me and Ill tell you where to go.

esmith13
12-01-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by ep_nezay
Sorry, but you know I had to answer to your comment.
Have you owned a Greddy kit on your EP? Or drove one intercooled and tuned?
I dont see how you can call a greddy kit "weak" while my kit is making 240whp @ 7psi. You guys(CN) are dynoing your kits @9psi it better make more than 240whp.Better yet, I have yet to see a different dyno than the one from the website(262whp). No one knows what psi that was done at.
Bottom line, dont underestimate if you really dont know the facts, unless you want to base your facts on just "I read that..."
For the record, Im not bashing on CN and from what "I read" seems like a good turbo kit. But I dont know facts(personal experiences).

PS: "IM NOT TRYING TO PICK A FIGHT" nor make enemies, this site is to help everyone and each other, right?Beer on me:)

Let me explain... I am ONLY calling GReddy's kit weak because it is MEANT to run lower psi and djshockwave made it clear the intercooler would not be bought now. Also, the GReddy kit is not able to go beyond a stage II without replacing the turbine itself. I was making this reference ONLY for the sake of exhaust and backpreassure concerns. I truly believe, since the GReddy kit has a smaller and more efficient turbine, that a Greddy Kit @ 7.5psi and a CN Kit @7.5 psi would make the same HP approximately (if both were intercooled) and even more so, the GReddy EP would win the 1/4mi because it would spool MUCH FASTER than the turbonetics Drag Turbine us CN peeps have.

I do not take offense to your comments, I'm just clarifying mine. If I didn't plan on going AT LEAST to stage II ASAP and maybe even stage III a little there after, I would not have bought the CN kit. I would likely have been a GReddy customer.

I'm sorry if you found my comments offensive, it was a misunderstanging, I assure you.

Eric

djshockwave
12-01-2003, 09:33 AM
Well the Greddy is somewhat cheeper, but ofcourse then id have to get my own intercooler and bov and controler... But i guess in a sense thats better, cuz i want an HKS bov, and i herd HKS makes a mean Boost controller too.. As far as upgraded to stage 2 goes.... I dunno if ill be doing that for awhile.. So Maybe greddy is a better bet right now... But thanks all you guys for weighing out the choices for me.. all the information has been great thanks alot!!!

The Don

Djshockwave

ep_nezay
12-01-2003, 10:51 AM
Let me explain...1) I am ONLY calling GReddy's kit weak because it is MEANT to run lower psi and djshockwave made it clear the intercooler would not be bought now. 2)Also, the GReddy kit is not able to go beyond a stage II without replacing the turbine itself. I was making this reference ONLY for the sake of exhaust and backpreassure concerns.3) I truly believe, since the GReddy kit has a smaller and more efficient turbine, that a Greddy Kit @ 7.5psi and a CN Kit @7.5 psi would make the same HP approximately (if both were intercooled).

Eric

1) See, thats what I mean. You DONT know the facts about Greddy. This kit is not meant to boost at low psi. This car is boosting 15psi with the same turbine.
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMjA0OTE1NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
2) Again, the same turbine is making 350whp with aftermarket pistons and rods.
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMjA0OTIxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
3)If you say they make the same HP, why do you call it weak? Who would go stageIII for that much money anyways?Not only that, SO much traction problems would be involved that it wouldnt even be fun.

esmith13
12-01-2003, 11:59 AM
Damn, dude, RELAX.... I said it's not meant to go BEYOND stage II. 15psi @ 350WHP IS stage II. I said stage II is ok -- just not BEYOND it.

I also said it's MEANT to run lower psi, which is true. The Base GReddy kit is MEANT to be tuned at about 7psi. What you don't know about CN is it is MEANT to run 9psi but CAN be tuned to 7.5 -- however it was DESIGNED to run 9psi for stage I.

I am by no means saying GReddy isn't good here. Did I not make it clear that GReddy is better if you don't plan on a stage III in your future??? The only gripe I have with the GReddy kit is they didn't make their own IC upgrade kit instead of RevHard doing it, but that's neither here nor there....

CHILL OUT. You really sound like YOUR picking a fight that just isn't meant to be...

Eric

ep_nezay
12-01-2003, 03:18 PM
Im relaxed and Im not picking a fight.
Like I said before, were are here to help each other and to give "CORRECT" facts and info:)

esmith13
12-01-2003, 03:21 PM
Fair enough. :cool:

Eric

chet
12-01-2003, 03:23 PM
Very unlike anyone here to actually make up and calm down. That's impressive. I'm just glad I got all the info out of this thread that I did.:)

esmith13
12-01-2003, 03:36 PM
I glad WE collectively were able to help u ;)

Eric