PDA

View Full Version : DIY Oil Change?

chinq6t
11-30-2003, 10:55 AM
any DIY's on oil changing? I can't seem to find where the oil filter is located..

02civicSI
11-30-2003, 10:56 AM
if you take off the right wheel you will find it.

oogy-boogy
11-30-2003, 01:19 PM
Passenger side....back of the engine block near the firewall...Feel away!!!!;)

BlasTech
11-30-2003, 08:57 PM
I just did mine this weekend, its not all that hard if you're scrawny like me. I used the 2.99 oil filter wrench from the autoparts store and the Fram oil filter for RSX-base (its bigger than the Fram for the Si, and more like the one Honda puts on there). BTW, Fram is one of the manufacturers of Honda filters.

Go by the dealership with a few bucks and buy like 10 of the aluminum drain bolt washers from the parts dept...dont re-use the old one.

Also, there's a jack point in the center of the front, just behind the bumper, that you can use to raise the whole front end up and drain your oil for like 30 minutes straight to get all the old stuff out.

When you think its done draining, cup your hands around the fill cap (you take that off to drain it) and blow, you'll hear even more oil come spilling out the bottom.

FreakSoft
11-30-2003, 10:11 PM
BlasTech: Do you change your oil hot or cold? I'd like to see you blow in the engine compartment with a HOT engine! BTW for those who don't know, you are supposed to change it when it is at "Normal Operating Temperature".

BlasTech
12-01-2003, 07:32 AM
Like it says to do in the shop manual, I change it hot, but its been sitting a good half-hour before I get to the blowing part, and the valve cover is cool enough to touch.

younggotti266
12-05-2003, 02:01 PM
Tips:
Make sure you put some oil on the Filter gasket and to clean the mounting area......

just finished changing my oil.......

Pain in the ass doing it on the floor with a jack..

Next time i'll do it at school on a lift.......

AkronSi
12-08-2003, 10:41 AM
You could also pick up a set of plastic ramps from Walmart or something. Awesome. Drive up, drain, fill, and back the car down. Much easier than a jack.....but it's not quite a lift either. :(

BlackNRedSi
12-08-2003, 10:56 AM
i couldnt get my oilfilter off (didnt know about the whole 'take off your rim to get your oil filter off thing' so i just put a screw driver thu the filter and wrenched it off...

now that i know there is a better way to get it off, and there is a oilfilter wrench out for our small ass oilfilter i will do it the correct way this time! lol

i reused my gasket 2 times, its fine, no leeks i have check it multiple times for any kind of leak. But i am going to get new gaskets for the next time

eric

younggotti266
12-08-2003, 01:24 PM
There should be filter wrenches out.....
just go to kragen, autozone, etc.....

but the filter should come of by hand.....

The filter holds quiet a bit of oil in it
so have a bowl right under it when you loosen it up
so oil doesn't get all over the place.

when you put a new filter on don't put it on to tight...
about 1/2-3/4 turn past snug......

putting it on super tight will just make it harder for
you to take off next time

31102si
12-08-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by BlackNRedSi
i couldnt get my oilfilter off (didnt know about the whole 'take off your rim to get your oil filter off thing' so i just put a screw driver thu the filter and wrenched it off...

eric

LOL :D good one. I can just see you under the car stabbing the oil filter like Michael Myers. :mad: :mad: :D :D :D