PDA

View Full Version : Turbo's in PA

gr33nnugz
11-30-2003, 12:44 PM
hey everyone quick question for people that have to go through emissions. I want a Turbo bad... real bad, but PA is starting emission checks this year. I was going to go with the C/N kit. C/N ans revhard turbo kits are not CARB approved so what are you guys with turbos going to do,what are my options?

surfsi
12-03-2003, 04:51 PM
You have to know someone that does ispections or you're screwed. Good luck.
Where the hell do you live that they are just starting to do emissions?

gr33nnugz
12-03-2003, 06:23 PM
In Pennsylvania and word is after jan 1st emmision testing starts

esmith13
12-03-2003, 07:05 PM
What do you mean "starts"?? I have had emissions done with safety inspection EVERY year since I bought my first car way back when....

Are they CHANGING or ENHANCING the way emissions will be done?? Is the Government going to do it themselves instead of auto shops like in Maryland???

Please be more specific... As of now, I have a mechanic who will "pass" my car for me in march when my safety and emissions stickers expire...

Eric

shimmy_yaz
12-04-2003, 05:43 AM
yeah u also live in philly don't forget. I live in PA and the area I am from doesn't check any emmissions.

esmith13
12-04-2003, 05:45 AM
Ooooohhh, so you guys are about to get the annual emissions testing we've had in the philly area for years now?

You guys need to stop scaring me like that!! ;)

Eric

gr33nnugz
12-04-2003, 02:09 PM
Im from harrisburg and they are only starting emission check this jan, before this we had no testing for emmisions in the burg

66elwood99
12-05-2003, 01:07 PM
Actually they are changing the testing procedures.

Vehicle Emission Testing Information

Beginning December 1, 2003, PennDOT will begin to phase in vehicle emission testing as part of the state safety inspection program. Testing programs, ranging from visual inspections to dynamometer tests, will be implemented in each county. The emission testing program will be fully implemented in all counties by June 2004. Specific information regarding the implementation dates of this program and the type of test that will be completed in a particular county can be found at www.drivecleanpa.state.pa.us

It use to vary from county to county. Now all counties will participate. Newer vehicles like ours will not get the tailpipe test, but they will hook a cable up to the vehicles computer which will give a reading.:'(
I don't know how the turbo will affect the reading. I have read that the Greddy is running real rich. this will definitely affect the reading.

esmith13
12-05-2003, 01:16 PM
THANKS FOR THE LINK!!!!!!

Ok, so in Philly, as of April 2004, there is a Gas Cap check, and an OBDII hookup to read the computer... I wonder what that means for me and my cybernation kit??? Also, I noticed for any vehicle 1996 and newer, ther is no longer a "visual check" performed... Does that mean technically you can pass without a catalytic converter if the OBDII reading are within requirements???

My inspection is up March 2004, so technically, I have a year before I have to worry... but I am curious....

Eric

66elwood99
12-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Eric,

I am not an inspection mechanic,I am a State Trooper, they still haven't come out with the revised Inspection Manual yet. Once they do I'll try to answer your question.:D

P.S and "Yes" I did watch your vid of the 80 mph pull away ;)

Be careful out there Eric and sweet ride dude :cool:

esmith13
12-05-2003, 02:16 PM
State Trooper, huh??

.... Um...er... You can forget the part about me not having a cat on my car ;)

Oh, and thanks for the compliment - and I WILL be careful. Typically I only get "like that" when I intend to film a request. i know that's no excuse, but honestly - if they'd open a closed circuit track around here I'd really do all this stuff in a "safer" environment. I shell out enough money to ATCO after all. :) ... What's a few more dollars for circuit racing. :)

Eric