PDA

View Full Version : K20 Eg?

Hatchd
11-30-2003, 02:48 PM
I hope this is in the right spot, but it's probably not. If it's not, mods, please move it.

Ok, currently I have a 93 CX with a B18C1 in it. The motor has 200000 miles on it so next summer it's gonna be rebuilt. BUT, I see on Hondatech that there is one company out now with a mount kit for k20's into EG's, and I'm sure more will follow. This definitely got me thinking. I can build up my C1 for about $5500 or so, but still need to get the little stuff such as IM, injectors, ignition, new tranny, etc. Which will probably push the cost to $7K or so. Bad thing is, this will get me probably 220-230whp, and mid to low 13 second time slips. Now, from what I hear, a k20a2 swap into an Eg will put me in the low 13's with IHE and a reflash? This will also give me a low mileage motor that I can still drive daily. Ok, I guess it's time for the questions:

1. How much is this swap gonna cost me? I am seeing a2's for $3500 or so, not sure on the mount kits and labor.

2. Would it be more cost effective to piece it together? What I'm thinking about doing is an a2 block, mated to an a1 head with type R cams as well. Is this possible? Easy? Hard?

3. I hate bench racing, but I don't know a damn thing about K20 motors, so I'm relying on your expert opinions. If I did this swap, do the type R head and cams, along with IHE and a reflash, what do you think I would be hitting? HP and track times. Mind you, my car weighs in at around 2100lbs.

Sorry for the long n00b post, but any help on these matters would be greatly appreciated. Or, if there is anywhere I need to go for info on this stuff, LMK where it's at. Thanks all.

Brettnyt
11-30-2003, 02:55 PM
sorry, i cant really help ya too much, but i know someone posted a vid of an EK or an EG with a k20a swapped it... It smoked a WRX...

Hatchd
11-30-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Brettnyt
sorry, i cant really help ya too much, but i know someone posted a vid of an EK or an EG with a k20a swapped it... It smoked a WRX...

That's not too shabby, but I'm still looking for low13's all motor, then prolly gonna dump a 75 shot on it(if I do the K20) or dump a 150 shot(if I do the B18). How hard is the wiring and programming and all the stuff on these k20's? I heard it was a bitch.

02SilverSiHB
11-30-2003, 03:44 PM
I would just look for the k20a2 swap with the ecu, tranny, axles, etc. Then get the motor mounts. I wouldn't bother piecing it together, that may end up being more $$ labor wise, if not more trouble. Also, good idea on getting the type r cams, but if you can, try and get the toda cams and reflash for the ecu..that gave the k20a2 50+ whp along with i/h/e...putting down like 225whp..not bad! especially in a light ass car like yours.

Hatchd
11-30-2003, 03:56 PM
Ok, so you're saying with the cams + IHE it made a total of +50whp? if so, that's nuts. Also, what do stock type S motors dyno at? I've thought I've heard of properly tuned a2's picking up 30-40HP with just intake and exhaust. Is it hard to get these k20 motors to put out 240+ to the wheels and not sacrifice reliability too much? Also, what about spray? Can they handle a 75 shot?

k20hatch
11-30-2003, 04:37 PM
K20 in the EG (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=23908&highlight=k20hatch)

Theres the link i posted...and if your thinking about this swap....better start saving...and saving...and saving....aaaannddd....saving....!! :confused:

Hatchd
12-01-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by k20hatch
K20 in the EG (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=23908&highlight=k20hatch)

Theres the link i posted...and if your thinking about this swap....better start saving...and saving...and saving....aaaannddd....saving....!! :confused:

Why do you say this? The motor is running $3500 or so, the mout kit isn't all that much, and a hondata reflash takes care of the wiring problem, correct? And if you're talking about saving, my rebuild to get somewhere that I want to be would cost $7K or so. I think I can get this done and get the same results, and more reliability than the rebuild.

02SilverSiHB
12-01-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Hatchd
Ok, so you're saying with the cams + IHE it made a total of +50whp? if so, that's nuts. Also, what do stock type S motors dyno at? I've thought I've heard of properly tuned a2's picking up 30-40HP with just intake and exhaust. Is it hard to get these k20 motors to put out 240+ to the wheels and not sacrifice reliability too much? Also, what about spray? Can they handle a 75 shot?
not sure about spraying on them, might check clubrsx for that.
As for the 50+ that was gained...it was a type s with i/h/e, toda flywheel, reflashed ecu, and toda springs/valves. It dynoed at 225whp and like 150something in torque. Stock they usually put down about 165-175whp and 130tq.

02SilverSiHB
12-01-2003, 11:29 AM
oh and here is a link: http://www.todaracing.com/products/honda_k20a/engine_kit.html

sniperSI
12-01-2003, 11:41 AM
1. How much is this swap gonna cost me? I am seeing a2's for $3500 or so, not sure on the mount kits and labor.

Saying all goes perfectly you should be less then the cost of the rebuild.

2. Would it be more cost effective to piece it together? What I'm thinking about doing is an a2 block, mated to an a1 head with type R cams as well. Is this possible? Easy? Hard?

a2 block w/ type R trim is a stright fwd swap, nothing has to be tweaked, just remove the old head put in the new one etc etc.

3. I hate bench racing, but I don't know a damn thing about K20 motors, so I'm relying on your expert opinions. If I did this swap, do the type R head and cams, along with IHE and a reflash, what do you think I would be hitting? HP and track times. Mind you, my car weighs in at around 2100lbs.

A type R dc5 k20a engine @ 220 HP put an Ep hatch at 13.9 on its first pass at the track.

Figure in 20 HP less for the a2, but the car also weighs about 1000lbs less, The K motor weighs less then the b18 as well so i would say stright swap would have no problem putting you into high 12's with type R trim no doubt, if you swap the dc5 type R k20a which is 20 hp more then the k20a2 and about $1000 more or less added on to the price, would put you high 12's, but that is a guess at best.

I'm not sure if those mounts will work on the k20a. though.