PDA

View Full Version : purpose of replacing front sway bar?

02civicSI
11-30-2003, 08:36 PM
what is the purpose of replacing front sway bar? i see everybody doing the rear sway bar thing but none if any front sway bar replacements. im totally a noob when it comes to sway bars and strut bars.

raiyo
11-30-2003, 09:22 PM
Bigger the bar is, the more stiff that area will be. Gotta be caution on going with a bigger sway bar. Always upgrade other stuff along with it. If you're running on stock springs and have like a CTR rear sway bar. You'll have alot more stress on the endlinks and might break em. If you got stiffer springs, that will have less stress on the bar. Might wanna upgrade your endlinks to something thicker and bigger. Alot of people here talk about oversteer/understeer about the sway bars. Like having a thicker rear sway (CTR), you will understeer less, and having a thinner (RSX) front sway will make your car understeer less. It still come down to your suspension setup on how will the sway bar works.

Do a search on sway or strut, you'll find alot more than what I gave you.

Suk02Si
12-01-2003, 01:47 AM
Bigger front sway bar = More understeer(bad) :D

raiyo
12-01-2003, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Suk02Si
Bigger front sway bar = More understeer(bad) :D

cant be bad, different people got different taste. :D

TezGari
12-01-2003, 02:31 AM
It depends on how you feel...I perfer stock fronts and RSX S (or CTR:D ) rears...

Suk02Si
12-01-2003, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by raiyo
cant be bad, different people got different taste. :D

heh, okay. I like being able to turn, I guess its just me though.:D

Burgh
12-01-2003, 09:38 AM
Bigger swaybar can also mean quicker turn-in and transition response. But the tradeoff is that you're more likely to lose grip in the front tires under heavy loading.

But if the car is just a daily driver it really won't matter. You'll just feel the car get more resistant to body roll.

glw
12-01-2003, 11:05 AM
i don't know - i'll have to agree with burgh... my progress sway bars (front and rear) feel quite good, neutral actually. a lot better after -2

Burgh
12-01-2003, 11:19 AM
I think it just boils down to personal preference. You have to make the decision for yourself and realize that there is a tradeoff regardless of which way you go with it. I kind of tend to throw my car into corners a bit which means that I'll never go with a bigger front swaybar. Depending on what setup you have, I'm guessing that you just have to drive it differently. And again, if this is only a daily driver car (will never get pushed to the limits) swaybars really shouldn't matter much.

glw: Do you ever have understeer problems getting back on the gas coming out of a corner with the front swaybar? A lot of the STS guys I talk to say that they even disconnect their front bars before they run to increase grip in the front tires. I'm not on the entry list for the 12/13 practice event. :( I'll definitely be there for the championship on Sunday but only in the morning session when I run/work. Real busy this month. Let me know how Ken does with the car.

glw
12-01-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Burgh
glw: Do you ever have understeer problems getting back on the gas coming out of a corner with the front swaybar? A lot of the STS guys I talk to say that they even disconnect their front bars before they run to increase grip in the front tires. I'm not on the entry list for the 12/13 practice event. :( I'll definitely be there for the championship on Sunday but only in the morning session when I run/work. Real busy this month. Let me know how Ken does with the car. not sure... i'm still overdriving. i'm told i get on it too early and don't back off enough when i should - so i tore through my parada's in 5k miles... i'm hoping to get some good input from ken - but i would say no body roll.

siver-SI
12-02-2003, 05:23 AM
Just wondering with sway bars what would be the best set up for some one who like a car to be lose mostly in the rear end. Whan I race at a local oval track I try to keep my car lose as can be off the rear end and I look like a dirt track driver on pavment. That car has to stay stock so I can not do this kind of work to it so I all I can do is play with tire pressure. Just when I auto X I would like my EP to be a little lose too just not as much as my race car.

oldschoolimport
12-02-2003, 07:11 AM
softer bar up front will help the fronts bite to turn, stiffer in the rear will help the rear come around. basically the car will handle similarly to a rear drive, it will have a tendency to rotate the car rather than to slide the front tires and keep going straight.