PDA

View Full Version : Painting Rims (No flames please)

TrippZ
12-01-2003, 12:43 PM
As you know, my black and yellow idea for a car requires money. Money that I do not have. Thusly, after seeing my friends spray painted rims, I decided that I would follow step and do the same.

I want to paint my Konig Monsoon spokes BLACK... while keeping the lip SILVER as it is. I'm looking for basically some advice. Here goes.

1) What preparations should I make before painting? I'm assuming I should sand it down using sandpaper, but what grit should I use? What kind of cleaning? What about masking off the parts I don't want painted and the tires?

2) What kind of paint should I use? I'm thinking about using a black engine ceramic paint because of it's high heat resistance... because of the brakepads behind the rims, of course.

3) Approximately how many coats should I put? What about clear coat?

4) How long would it take to do a very nice, complete, and effective job?

5) How long would this paint job last?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!

~John

nyxie
12-01-2003, 12:49 PM
i have no advice for you on the painting process, but i think the rims would look pretty damn cool when you're done.

RMC22
12-01-2003, 12:54 PM
i thought you were hopping onto the domestic ship? or are you keeping the ep? finances get in the way?

TrippZ
12-01-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by RMC22
i thought you were hopping onto the domestic ship? or are you keeping the ep? finances get in the way?

Trans Am turned out to be rediculous for the current situation we are. The trouble I'd have to go through to get the money for the Tahoe I wanted ($13,000, 7 inch lift, 33s, new rims, tint, new engine, new transmission, head unit, grill gaurd, exhaust) wasn't worth it either. Besides, I started to get really depressed when I realized I wouldnt have my Si... I think I'm in love :'(:'(:)

So how about the rims guys?

raiyo
12-01-2003, 01:35 PM
If I remember right, I've seen a post about spray painting some rims. They like used some light sandpaper and sanded the rim to remove dust/uneven spots before painting. Then they sprayed the thing with multiple light coats and never left the coat before dry. Grrrr... to bad I forgot who did that.

Zero Three Si
12-01-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by TrippZ
Trans Am turned out to be rediculous for the current situation we are. The trouble I'd have to go through to get the money for the Tahoe I wanted ($13,000, 7 inch lift, 33s, new rims, tint, new engine, new transmission, head unit, grill gaurd, exhaust) wasn't worth it either. Besides, I started to get really depressed when I realized I wouldnt have my Si... I think I'm in love :'(:'(:)

So how about the rims guys?

You sound like a little bitch!:D

ep3hatchattack
12-01-2003, 01:45 PM
Your a fuckin idiot, thats the cheapest thing ive ever heard of.......... jk ... .i did that to mine and no one has ever been able to tell. Just mask off the polished lip and spray light coats so it doesnt bubble up, and just do many coats, then finish with a clear coat, and do a few layers of that, and make sure you do it in a clean, dry, area with heat..... Just take your time and let it dry properly... later bro

oh, and you never finished up telling me about this girl you like.......come on, drop the rest of the info........

oogy-boogy
12-01-2003, 01:47 PM
This can work if done right. The only problem you'll come across is gaining a proper masking line as well as road debris chipping away the paint.

First off, you would have to sand the heck out of the finish in order to get a good base. 2nd, mask it. 3rd, hit it with some sort of adhesion promoter. Third, first coat of primer. 4th, I'd do 3-4 coats of paint allowing ample drying time. 5th, remove the masking and paint the whole rim with 5-6 coats of some high gloss clear coat.

Obviously, your best bet would be powdercoating as it bonds to the metal and is incredibly strong(~150-200 bills to do a set of 4 rims).

Good luck! :D

STP03BlueSI
12-01-2003, 02:10 PM
There is a company that makes paint just for rims. I know Wally mart sells it.

Mugen_EP
12-01-2003, 02:33 PM
http://www.homepagez.com/sngx83/rimpaint/rimpaint.html

Mugen_EP
12-01-2003, 02:38 PM
http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=22181&perpage=15&highlight=painting%20wheels&pagenumber=1

Take a look at this also Trippz. On page 4 he list the following instuctions:

1.clean the wheels and tires.
2.scuff the wheels or sand.
3.clean the rims with rubbing alcohol
4.if the metal is cold heat with a heat gun.
5.spray filler primer heavy.
6.bake the primer with the heat gun.
7.spray the wheels the color u want from left
to right from top to bottom lightly, don't let
it dry, put on another coat, etc.
8.when ur done with ur coats bake it with ur heat gun.
9.when dry , sand down with 1300 sand paper, and buff it out
and u have perfect painted stockies.
need more help just hit me up.

Good Luck Trippz!;)

TrippZ
12-01-2003, 04:07 PM
Wait I don't understand, why would you resand after putting the paint? wouldnt that strip it off?

Mugen_EP
12-01-2003, 04:13 PM
It would be a color sand before you buff it out. Just like you would on a new paint job.

TrippZ
12-01-2003, 05:13 PM
:confused: I sooo don't understand!

Tony do you understand what I have to do? Hey IM me on AIM, me and you are always online so we might as well become E-Lovers. ;) SN: Br3akthelaw

Do you guys think when I do this I should make a video?

Mugen_EP
12-01-2003, 05:27 PM
I'm still at work and dont have access to AIM but when I get home I'll contact you.

digitldlnkwnt
12-01-2003, 05:34 PM
the sandpaper you use ie 1300 grit is very very fine and takes out irregularities before the final coat or buffing out

you rub LIGHTLY......

TheMutt
12-01-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Mugen_EP
http://ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=22181&perpage=15&highlight=painting%20wheels&pagenumber=1

Take a look at this also Trippz. On page 4 he list the following instuctions:

1.clean the wheels and tires.
2.scuff the wheels or sand.
3.clean the rims with rubbing alcohol
4.if the metal is cold heat with a heat gun.
5.spray filler primer heavy.
6.bake the primer with the heat gun.
7.spray the wheels the color u want from left
to right from top to bottom lightly, don't let
it dry, put on another coat, etc.
8.when ur done with ur coats bake it with ur heat gun.
9.when dry , sand down with 1300 sand paper, and buff it out
and u have perfect painted stockies.
need more help just hit me up.

Good Luck Trippz!;)

Going to see if I can give you a little bit of detail on all this.
*1) Just wash over with water to remove all the excess dirt.
*2) When you sand, I would probably get 1000 grit wetsand paper. You want to make sure you cover everything you are painting, but you aren't necessarily trying to cut grooves into the wheel. Just try and make it so the paint will stick.
*3) Rub off with something to remove any grease from the wheel. I guess rubbing alcohol does this? I usually just use wax and grease remover but it's all the same
*4) You don't want to do this if the area you are painting in is extremely dusty, cold, or extremely hot. Be sure to cover up the areas around the wheel and down the side of your car to make sure there is no overspray!!!
*5) Primer is your friend, spray lots. Usually after primer (at least when painting normal car) it is normal to sand it down again. On primer I usually use a wetsand 360 grit. Not sure if spray cans are the same?
*7) When you painting the first coats you really want to spray light and go over a lot because you don't want a heavy coat that will run or drip. Give the final coat a good time to rest.
*9) I don't think most people were doing clear coats but it's just the same if you add one I guess.

I guess you don't have to listen to me, I haven't done it. I'm thinking about it, and if I did I would probably follow my own way like I just said but there are others out there that already have done this. Just be sure to cover up everything really nice with tape because if you overspray it'll be a pain for you I'm sure. Keeping your lip though, I don't think it will come out clean. Sorry, but usually when you peel off the tape it will leave a small jagged line unless you are very careful not to paint much over it which is hard. If I were you I would just do the whole wheel. Trying to think of anything else that could help? Just hope everything turns out clean and if you think I said something wrong tell me.

TrippZ
12-01-2003, 05:46 PM
well see its not exactly a lip perse, its a deep dish kinda rim, the
"lip" goes about 2 inches into the rim itself, and then there are spokes. thanks for expanding :D

Here's a chop I did with what the rims will look like along with a little drop.. drop it like its hot!

TheMutt
12-01-2003, 06:56 PM
I guess if you aren't worried about the up close shots then try for the lip but if u really want that show car look it'd be best just to do the whole wheel. It's usually pretty expected that when peeling off the tape you won't have a smooth line, just wanted to make sure you know. Not only that, but it seems like it would just be more of a pain in the rear to tape up in the first place. If you do peel off the tape slow and umm kinda with the direction ur pulling off if that makes sense?

Kis4KEN
12-01-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by TrippZ
:confused: I sooo don't understand!

Tony do you understand what I have to do? Hey IM me on AIM, me and you are always online so we might as well become E-Lovers. ;) SN: Br3akthelaw

Do you guys think when I do this I should make a video?

after you are done you buff it, because if you look closely under sunlight... you might notice some "orange peel". i mean... it won't look like glass. i would take a wet sanding block... or a hard ass sponge and sand it lightly... careful not to burn the paint. then grab your buffer, and some machine glaze and get crackin.

p.s. i work at scottsdale paint and body... scottsdale, arizona:D

Kis4KEN
12-01-2003, 10:04 PM
hey "themutt", i wouldn't use 360 grit unless i had body work to refinish... like plastic filler (bond-o) thats just my opinion though... and you don't really need filler primer unless there are chips/scratches on it. imo, instead of using 360... i'd use 500 wet.

excivic98
12-02-2003, 11:10 AM
I have the same rims on my ep, right now I am in the process and stripping the clearcote off of the lip and polishing it up and then I am going to paint the spokes either a gunmetal or Volk gold. I will post pics when I get it done.

TrippZ
12-02-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by excivic98
I have the same rims on my ep, right now I am in the process and stripping the clearcote off of the lip and polishing it up and then I am going to paint the spokes either a gunmetal or Volk gold. I will post pics when I get it done.

Sweet dude me and you need to talk about this then

excivic98
12-03-2003, 11:31 AM
does anyone know of a color that comes extremely close to the Volk Bronze Color.

mixedupneko
12-03-2003, 01:44 PM
trippzz clear your pm box

4g63dsm
12-03-2003, 04:28 PM
i live in seattle and am thinkin about painting my stocks , but it is about 30-50 degrees F is it too cold to paint?

TrippZ
12-04-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by mixedupneko
trippzz clear your pm box

cleared

excivic98 - can you post up a step by step for the monsoons?

TrippZ
01-11-2004, 02:50 PM
bump

getting ready to do this pretty soon because i have weekends off now so I can probably get it done :D

so basically i want to know:

1) What grit(s) sandpaper should I get?

2) What brand spray paints should I get?

3) What brand clearcoats should I get?

4) What brand primer should I get?

STP03BlueSI
01-11-2004, 02:58 PM
Damn this thread is old..:D jk.

TheMutt
01-11-2004, 06:46 PM
Wasn't sandpaper covered in the step by step process of us explaining it all.

As for paint, I'd use automotive paint if you can and do all this at a body shop or something like that. If you're doing it in your garage and have no access to an air compressor... I dunno what to tell ya.