PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas of what is Wrong?

SpeedRacer
09-16-2002, 04:13 PM
Well me and my buddy who has a WRX do alot of cny. driving. Anyways we get pritty crazy up thare and we do it alot and yesterday when we went up i was driving extra hard because i am getting to know my car more and know my limits(so i thought) So i was driving harder then unual and all of a sudden my car goes voom voom voom at 4,000 Rpm it would not let me rev past 4 thousand rpm i was like what the fuck i screwed my shit up so i pull over turn it off pop the hood and i dont notice anything loose so i close the hood turn the car on and it is fine but the check engine light is on but the car was running good but about an hour later we are heading down the mountain i take a really hard turn go into a 4 wheel slide and pull out and damn the car wont rev past 4000rpm again. The engine wasn't over heating i reset the ECU and the Check engine light went off but i dont know what is going on. It would cut out exactly at 4000 RPM so it must be something with the ECU i guess but the car drives great i guess next time it happans i will turn on and off the car without reseting the ecu and getting honda to tell me the error on it because after turning on and off the car it would run fine with the light on.:( :confused:

02blksi
09-16-2002, 04:15 PM
WOAaaaa, F*ckin weird. one second i was reading you and SBC posting the next second i click to "reply" then up comes the invalid link message, reload the page and now the tittle is different for the thread and everyone's posts are gone... WEIRRRDDDDDD !!! :) Anyways stop resetting the ECU and take that shit to HONDA, let them diagnose the problem. after all you do have a 3 year 36,000 SO LET THEM FIX IT!! Good luck-- joe

K20ACTR
09-16-2002, 04:33 PM
I had the same thing happen to me. It wouldn't let me shift past 4000 RPM and my car felt like a damn DX. When I took mine to honda they told me that a VTEC solenoid went out and I basically had not VTEC. Take it in to them and they will get the part and fix it.

SBC31
09-16-2002, 04:55 PM
I think the problem is between the steering wheel and the driver's seat.......lol! (I kidd, I kidd. Must be "pick on SpeedRacer" day for me)

On a serious note, you should just take it to your dealer before it gets worse, and you should not be playing around with the ECU.

civic hatch boi
09-16-2002, 05:11 PM
hey speedracer.. what gear does this happen in? and is it all the time? or just sometimes.

civic hatch boi
09-16-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by K20ACTR
I had the same thing happen to me. It wouldn't let me shift past 4000 RPM and my car felt like a damn DX. When I took mine to honda they told me that a VTEC solenoid went out and I basically had not VTEC. Take it in to them and they will get the part and fix it.

heyt k20. how do i know if i have this problem or not? my car feels really weak.. i dunno :( i have rev past 4k but it does'nt feel strong.

DynaSpeed
09-16-2002, 05:36 PM
how do i know if i have this problem or not? my car feels really weak.. i dunno Hey man.... you were in the wrong car!

Now get out of the Geo Metro, and get in the Ep!

SpeedRacer
09-16-2002, 05:37 PM
well my vtec feals fine i even had my friend drive the car and he says it feals fast too.

civic hatch boi
09-16-2002, 05:40 PM
then what else can it be speed?? btw, do you have AIM? i can rev my car to redline but it doesn't feel too strong. esp 1st.

SpeedRacer
09-16-2002, 06:08 PM
i have no clue the car feals strong and just in case it was just my head thinking it fealt strong i had my friend drive it and he says it seems fine. I think it was the computer saying dont drive so hard i dont know.

CleanBlackSi02
09-16-2002, 06:10 PM
Bring it to Honda asap!

IceD out N CALI
09-16-2002, 06:21 PM
take it to the dealer, they'll fix it

civic hatch boi
09-16-2002, 06:33 PM
it can be fine, maybe it's just in my head. cuz i don't know what strong is or not. it's my first car.

civic hatch boi
09-16-2002, 06:44 PM
i really really hope its cuz i only have 2k miles.

natesi
09-16-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by SpeedRacer
I think it was the computer saying dont drive so hard

Cool... kind of like Knight Rider.... Yea; those were the days...
http://www.knightrideronline.com/

That's when David Hasslehoff (sp) was "cool". Now he's lame.

= )

Anyway, let us know what the problem was when you get it fixed!!

-nate

SpeedRacer
09-16-2002, 06:52 PM
i will but first i have to wait for the problem to ariive again because the check engine light is ooff and the car seems and looks fine so when the issue comes up again i will take it to the dealer for sure thank you everyone for your info.

madbrain
09-17-2002, 06:47 AM
This may sound simple but sometimes bad gas can cause this to happen. If you know it wasn't the gas then it could be any one of your emissions sensors causing limp mode and a CEL. But still take it to the dealer.

02_EP3
09-30-2002, 03:06 AM
i just read through all the threads and found this one... i recently ran into the same problem on my ep.... check engine... when i pull really hard especially on banks, like on a freeway entrance.....

pulled the DTC from the ecu... forgot the code itself, but a buddy did some research on the code and found it to be a iVTEC system malfunction code.... dammit! takin it to the dealer in the morning and will find out for sure wut needs to be done....

will post results.

peace!

HighRev-thug
09-30-2002, 07:43 AM
Weird
Did you check the oil?? What is the V-tec kick in on the Si?? RSX-S is 5,8-6k
Vtec needs a set oil pressure to turn on if car low on oil it will do that wont go into vtec
also it will drive fine after the check engine light go on because what ever msg the CPU reading wrong its by pass when the checklight go on the cpu stop reading from the engine sensors and go into a preset program(just so you can drive it to the SHOP)
It could stil be oil or that the Si vtec solonids are defective and require more oil pressure than what the Si gives at that RPM.
Either way take it to Honda.

66elwood99
09-30-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by 02blksi
WOAaaaa, F*ckin weird. one second i was reading you and SBC posting the next second i click to "reply" then up comes the invalid link message, reload the page and now the tittle is different for the thread and everyone's posts are gone... WEIRRRDDDDDD !!! :) Anyways stop resetting the ECU and take that shit to HONDA, let them diagnose the problem. after all you do have a 3 year 36,000 SO LET THEM FIX IT!! Good luck-- joe

Being that he has Racing Hart 17"s/Nitto450
H&R Sport Springs
Cat Back Exhaust 2 1/2 in
Titanium Veilside Muffler
AEM CAI
(Bottle of WhoopAss)

Will this affect his warranty? :'(

02_EP3
09-30-2002, 04:47 PM
welp... went to the dealer.===> DTC: P1259 Vtec system malfunction.
checked dipstick for oil. no oil on dipstick. suspect high engine RPM. oil will go low if at high range. suggest oil and filter change.

ummm... that might be a problem if at high range, the oil pressure goes low?

placed an order for a Mugen oil pan, since the stock one doesnt have that baffle to control the sloshing of oil.... hope that cures it or helps.

just my experience to tell.

HighRev-thug
09-30-2002, 08:06 PM
Dont think you need Oil pan just keep engine with oIl at full. if problem persist. Just pull the oil pressure spring out an pull it a bit that should raise pressure about 10. dont pull it to hard i had a prelude and pull that spring out like it had no tomorrow the pressure went from 60 to 0 all way around the gauge so that had to be 140 or so only thing keep at 0 was the needle pin.

How many miles car have? Not broken in engines burn oil faster so just keep checking your oil stick.

02_EP3
10-01-2002, 09:13 AM
well thats true.... just wanted a new toy.... heheheh. but it has about 4500 miles on it now. i'll try wut u talked about, and see from there...

thanks for the info.
Peace!

ColinCivicSiR
10-01-2002, 05:42 PM
Speedracer,

first check your oil, it probably is a little low. The computer monitors oil pressure and if you were driving hard in the corners it might lose pressure. If this happens the computer will go into "safemode" and not let you rev over 4000 RPM.

To fix this, top up your oil and then disconnect the battery for 10 minutes/ or take the ECU fuse out.......battery is what I did when this happend to me at an Autocross event.

Do this and it will reset and you will be fine.

SpeedRacer
10-01-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by ColinCivicSiR
Speedracer,

first check your oil, it probably is a little low. The computer monitors oil pressure and if you were driving hard in the corners it might lose pressure. If this happens the computer will go into "safemode" and not let you rev over 4000 RPM.

To fix this, top up your oil and then disconnect the battery for 10 minutes/ or take the ECU fuse out.......battery is what I did when this happend to me at an Autocross event.

Do this and it will reset and you will be fine.

well this is exactly what it was my oil was almost 2qt low but i just pulled the ecu out for about 1 min and the problem was fixed as far as the light but since i added the oil the engine light doesn't come in on hard turns because there is enouh oil in there to be swooshed around

JSIR
10-01-2002, 06:08 PM
if you don't have enough oil the vtec system won't engage properly during hard cornering, did you check your oil level ?, can also happen if the engine is cold and you are stomping on it, but I think it was lack of oil. If none of the above then the vtec solenoid could be going bad like mentioned above in one of the replies. good luck.

SpeedRacer
10-01-2002, 06:11 PM
it was the oil. man this car burns oil when you drive hard is this because i still have under 10.000 miles?

JSIR
10-01-2002, 06:34 PM
I took my car to a high speed closed road course this summer at Gingerman Raceway. There are a few corners where you can take some pretty good speed into them, I never had any problems with oil starvation, so keep the oil levels topped off and you should be fine. But the Mugen oil pan is a nice upgrade, I like it. :cool:

02blksi
10-01-2002, 06:53 PM
how much is the Mugen oil pan and who has them in stock. --joe, sounds intresting.