PDA

View Full Version : Switching Oils?

LI03SI
12-02-2003, 01:36 PM
I have heard it is bad to switch from synthetic back to regular motor oil?

Is there anyone here who can clarify this that may know anything about?

Mighty_Mouse
12-02-2003, 01:44 PM
There's never a problem switching. Synthetics are generally better for your engine though.

RMC22
12-02-2003, 05:00 PM
A lot of people run it without problems, but I don't know... Our oil is thin enough as it is.

But no problems switching. Go try it. :)

KeNnYtAkEr
12-03-2003, 09:44 AM
shouldn't make a differance just that syn oils have more protectants in them therefore better in the long run. But I'm waiting til Quackerstate comeso ut with the 5w20 full syn. Should be here early next year. Don't wanna change to 5-30 need the fuel economy hahaha

f4hondaphile
12-03-2003, 07:23 PM
Mobil 1 offers a 0w-30 that is their fuel economy formula recommended for cars that take 5w-20 if you are worried about gas mileage. IMO, 5w-30 synthetic has not affected my gas mileage, but it could be that it does but its just so small I haven't detected it apart from any other variable such as load or how I drove on a given tank.

I wouldn't want quaker state oil though, M1 is widely regarded as one of the best syn oils. If you are reluctant to use the 0w-30, the 5w-30 should offer better protection for your engine and synthetic 5w-30 is probably very close to being as slippery as convetional 5w-20. Honda recommends 5w-30 for the RSX-S which tells me that the 5w-20 in the ep is purely motivated by gas mileage, personally I'd rather have slightly better long-term protection for my engine.

KeNnYtAkEr
12-03-2003, 08:11 PM
I'd use the mobil one if they had it for sale over here. I can only get the racing 15w-40, 5w-30, 10w-40 at my walmart so no can do otherwise I'd switch for the 0w-30 cus it'll be just as thin and for our Euro engine. The Type-S is the CTR euro engine but they run the 5w-30 because they need alil thicker oil for there higher compression ratio. I just wanna stick to the factory rec. 5w-20
U know of any other brands making it besides REDLINE that cost way to much?

labelhunter
12-03-2003, 08:13 PM
I can ship you cases of mobil 1 0w-20 or 0-30. But i think it would be to much money. Its like 30 with tax here at walmart.

Surprise
12-03-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by f4hondaphile
Mobil 1 offers a 0w-30 that is their fuel economy formula recommended for cars that take 5w-20 if you are worried about gas mileage.

From the mobil websit:

Mobil 1 0W-20, Power and Performance Formula, is the most advanced performance synthetic engine oil designed to provide the ultimate level of power, and protection to keep engines running smoothly and cleanly. Mobil 1 0W-20 exceeds the requirements of the latest gasoline and diesel powered automobile engines. Mobil 1 0W-20 is the ideal product for high revolution and output four and six cylinder cars where a 0W-20 or 5W-20 viscosity lubricant is recommended

For cars that reccomend 5w20 the use of M1 0w20 is OK.

From the bottle
http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/509/9271/p/186628_7441275151267136624_v.jpg

labelhunter
12-03-2003, 09:16 PM
yup been using mobile 0w-30 for the summer and 0w-20 for winter, this is my second winter.

siver-SI
12-03-2003, 09:25 PM
Just wondering my Mom has a BMW that used Moble 1 and her oil changes are every 15,000 can we do that with are car if we do synthetic? I know doing then every 3,000 is a waist of money since the oil can last a lot longer but I did not know how the change with synthetic.

labelhunter
12-03-2003, 10:14 PM
I personally change it at about 5-6k. I do alot of highway driving. 100miles a day. I have 40k on my car already and i got it the end of june 2002. I bet i could go more with the oil but i just like the peace of mind.

BluePearl03Si
12-04-2003, 10:54 PM
Mobil1 is the the bomb.

AMSOIL is overpriced.

I like their gas too. Especially the stations with the retro flying horse logo thingy.

I keep expecting for someone to come out with a 40's service station hat, wash my windshield, and I'll tell him to filler' up. Oh wait, they do that in Oregon, and you have no choice! They will put their greasy hands on your paint.

I prefer to pump my own, so I'm glad I live in Washington

:shadesm:

KeNnYtAkEr
12-05-2003, 10:31 AM
Hey labelhunter U for real on that offer? I'd like to try out the Mobil1 0w-20 U said $30buck + tax? whats the total cost?

labelhunter
12-05-2003, 11:08 AM
Yea sure i would. But today its really snowing and like an idiot i didnt take off my rims. I have the toyo fz4 proxes and they have some snow traction, but i just went out for lunch and i turned back in. I have no traction. So when i get a chance this weekend i will go to walmart or auto barn whichever is cheaper and get you a price. Ill send the reciept and everything, im not trying to make money, im just trying to help out a fellow ep member. Ill let you know. (edit)
I just did a search. Auto barn may shipp it to you. Check it outClick Here (http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/oil44877.html)

Buff 'n Stuff
12-05-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by f4hondaphile
I wouldn't want quaker state oil though

and why is that?

f4hondaphile
12-05-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Buff 'n Stuff
and why is that?

Well, its mostly a perception thing with me. For one, Quaker will be new to the synthetic scene and for another they have been bought out by Penzoil and its my understanding that they are simply putting penzoil in the quaker state containers. I have always had a negative view of penzoil that, again, is one of perception and it comes from wives tales about how its a lousy oil.

As a practical matter, the most important thing about oil is that its regularly changed and kept clean. Beyond that, brands are largely about preference and the measurable but small differences in quality among them. So if you want Quaker state go for it, I don't have any scientific test that says its no good, I just prefer Mobil 1.

KeNnYtAkEr
12-05-2003, 01:55 PM
You don't like penzoil syn. Penzoil Syn. is the main oil NASA uses for there shuttles that doesn't prove it's worth? "extereme cold/heat" Oil should be proven good enough, if not they wouldn't be using it in a $250 million dollar engine/shuttle right? And since Penzoil is in development with Quarker State doesn't that mean they have a good product as well?
:rolleyes:

f4hondaphile
12-05-2003, 02:17 PM
I was actually referring to penzoil coventional oils generally, but to be honest I have never even looked at penzoil syn. Like I said, the brand of oil is more about personal preferences and small differences than anything else.

I didnt know about the shuttle transport. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I imagine that is a one-off specially produced oil just for that application that bears little resemblance to the stuff on the shelf at wal-mart.

KeNnYtAkEr
12-05-2003, 06:58 PM
no look at the penzoil syn. oils bottle they say offical oil used by NASA on the top left corner.

But ur right it all comes down to personal preferences. as long as u keep it clean and pure it'll do the job.

Buff 'n Stuff
12-22-2003, 07:46 PM
I agree that everyone has their preferences. :)

however, this statement is false...

For one, Quaker will be new to the synthetic scene

I first used Quaker State synthetic oil in 1991.

HondaMan
12-22-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by LI03SI
I have heard it is bad to switch from synthetic back to regular motor oil?

Is there anyone here who can clarify this that may know anything about?

No, it doesnt hurt to switch.

SYNTEC is fully compatible with all conventional and synthetic oils.

http://www.castrolusa.com/products/Default.asp

That's why there's Castrol SYNTEC BLEND, the only synthetic blend engineered with Castrol conventional oil and SYNTEC molecular components.

http://www.castrolusa.com/products/Default.asp

I plan to use SYNTEC BLEND in my EP next oil change which will probably be this weekend. Its all I need and cheaper than full Synthetic. If you can afford full Synthetic go for it.

sterlingSi
12-24-2003, 10:01 AM
I'm using Royal Purple, i love it. 5w20 and it every time i change my oil i can tell my car feels good.

03EP3Si
12-25-2003, 12:04 AM
Mobile 1 0w-20 all the way! I live in NYC and even with the harsh driving we have here this motor oil lets my engine run smooth and beautiful all the way to the redline! :D GO MOBILE 1:D