PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Civic Si made in USA?

GotKraut
12-02-2003, 09:02 PM
I was looking at some websites of Honda dealers in my area to check out new car inventory. One dealer listed VIN numbers and it was interesting to see that the first 3 digits of the VIN for the 2004 Si is "1HG". I'm guessing that:

1HG - USA
JHM - Japan
SHH - UK

Does this mean that Honda has shifted production to the US? I have no problem buying an American-made car. My last car before the Golf was an American-made Nissan Xterra and it was very reliable. My only concern is that this would be the 1st production year for the American-made Si. The British had 2 years to work out the bugs so I'm thinking that a British-made 2003 might have less problems than an American-made 2004. Thoughts? Comments?

In theory, it probably doesn't matter where where a car is built. However, after owning my Brazilian-made Golf I'm beginning to have second thoughts about country of manufacture and build quality. I've driven some German-made Jettas and they "felt" better put together than the Mexican-made Jettas or Brazilian-made Golfs. I don't have any hard evidence to support this, it's just my gut feeling.

Having said that, I have more confidence in American-made stuff than British-made stuff.

I plan on test driving a Si later on this week. Thanks for all of your help. :D

bobdobbs
12-02-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by GotKraut
Does this mean that Honda has shifted production to the US?
No.

Loudpedal
12-02-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by GotKraut
I've driven some German-made Jettas and they "felt" better put together than the Mexican-made Jettas or Brazilian-made Golfs. I don't have any hard evidence to support this, it's just my gut feeling.

For North American consumers, I thought that the Jettas came from Mexico (only) and the Golfs came from Germany?!?

I'm pretty sure that Swindon U.K. is the only place of manufacture for the EP.

BluePearl03Si
12-02-2003, 09:17 PM
Yes, great reliable vehicles like the Jaguars and Land Rovers. The nail in the coffin for the british empire :D

Ever seen the movie "Gung Ho"? That's what the Swindon UK factory that built the EP is like, but with limeys instead of blue collar US workers.

http://www.movieprop.com/tvandmovie/reviews/gungho.jpg

bobdobbs
12-02-2003, 09:37 PM
Jaguar engine bay: (Yes, this is fully assembled!) :eek:

BluePearl03Si
12-02-2003, 09:47 PM
I feel for the poor guy who had to write a service manual for that Jag.

enecks
12-02-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by BluePearl03Si
Yes, great reliable vehicles like the Jaguars and Land Rovers. The nail in the coffin for the british empire :D

Hey now, I never had any problems with my Land Rover. I rather miss her, actually...just couldn't afford the gas.

GotKraut
12-02-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Loudpedal
For North American consumers, I thought that the Jettas came from Mexico (only) and the Golfs came from Germany?!?

The Jetta sedans come from Mexico only. All Jetta wagons are made in Germany. The MY 2000 Golf was also built in Wolfsburg, Germany but 2001+ production was transfered to Brazil. The Audi TT (same platform as the Golf and Jetta) is made in Hungary.

I did see Gung Ho. The ending is the funniest part.

I heard that Jaguar (pre-Ford) used to use Lucas for most of their electronic components. Jaguar owners tell me they used to call it, "Lucas, Prince of Darkness."

My neighbor has a Land Rover Discovery, every month he has some kind of loaner parked in his driveway. I asked him about it one day and he told me, "Never buy a Land Rover."

Oh well, British-made is fine, they have another year to work out the bugs. I just hope the car I get wasn't built around the World Cup Soccer finals.