PDA

View Full Version : Turning off A/C during defog

Hondatech
06-28-2002, 11:16 PM
Ok, so you turn the vent position to defog the windshield, and the A/C pops on. And no matter how many times you poke the A/C button, it doesn't go off.

Well, from the depths of the Honda IDrive information system, here's how to put you A/C control into Manual mode:

1) Car off
2) Set vent control to Vent (Little guy sitting down with arrow in his face, furthest left)
3) Turn key one click to Accessory positon (Stereo comes on, not insturment lights)
4) Push and hold both the Recirc and A/C buttons
5) While still holding those two buttons, turn the key to the ON position. Keep holding. AFter a few secodns, the light on the Recirc buttion will start to flash. Keep holding both 'till the A/C button lights up.

Now, you're in Manual mode. A/C will still come on when you select the Defog or Defog/Floor, but you can now turn it off by hitting the A/C button.

To put it back into Auto mode (god forbid), use the same procedure, but put the vent control to Defog rather then Vent.

02TafWhtSi
06-29-2002, 06:56 PM
Cool - thanks alot! This was driving me crazy. I hate using the A/C when I don't really wnat it on.

Si_Nutt
06-29-2002, 07:05 PM
You rock, dude. I was just dealing with it, thought it was another _ucked up trick by Honda to force me to use A/C in defog mode like I was some girl or something and didn't know how to toggle it myself!:D

DynaSpeed
06-30-2002, 09:55 AM
What a great post. Is that in the owners manual? I've had some people ask me about that, and my usual response is, "o well, its just the way it is".
I have some other cars in the stable that do the same... I'm gonna check out if theres a "manual" mode for them.

SiCivic2k2
06-30-2002, 09:57 AM
Maybe mine's broke or something. It doesn't do it. Good for me I guess. :)

Hondatech
06-30-2002, 10:45 AM
Is that in the owners manual?

Nope. Honda says the "Auto" mode allows for optimum fog removal... apparently we're too dumb to decide for ourselves :D

I happened across that tidbit in our IDrive information system. Seems enough customers want to know how to turn it off, and we're only supposed to tell 'em if they complain about it.....

stingyboy
06-30-2002, 12:16 PM
what other secrets are you hiding from us?

;)

Hondatech
06-30-2002, 12:25 PM
More information will be released as it becomes available ;)

2k2civicSi
06-30-2002, 03:39 PM
thanks alot man how did you figure that out

Hondatech
06-30-2002, 06:01 PM
I work for a Honda Dealership. We've got a system from Honda Canada called "IDrive", which gives us a computer database linked to HC's files and archives. Lots of findings on problems cars have had (so we can troubleshoot them easier), technical bulletiens, on-line service manuals, etc.

02TafWhtSi
06-30-2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Hondatech
I work for a Honda Dealership. We've got a system from Honda Canada called "IDrive", which gives us a computer database linked to HC's files and archives. Lots of findings on problems cars have had (so we can troubleshoot them easier), technical bulletiens, on-line service manuals, etc.

Man, think of all the info they're holding from us. I think we should kidnap this guy and make hime tell us everything he knows! :D J/K!

ApexinSi
07-01-2002, 07:46 AM
I'll get the rope

SiCivic2k2
07-01-2002, 09:55 AM
I got the car. :)

Hondatech
07-01-2002, 06:20 PM
:p

punkdork
07-02-2002, 01:31 PM
THANK YOU! I had friggin idiot settings like the auto AC.

SmoothOperator
07-05-2002, 06:46 PM
hehehe did this today. Thanks man!

Pir8pete
09-21-2002, 08:33 AM
A/C OVERRIDE

1) Have the car turned off.

2) Turn the vent knob to off (All the way to the
left, counter clock-wise).

3) Turn the temperature knob to full blue (All the
way to the left, counter clock-wise).

5) Start the car and keep both air recirculation and
A/C button pressed.

6) Wait for air recirculation button to stop
flashing.

To turn the original feature back on, repeat all
steps, but for "STEP 2", turn the knob to full red (All the
way to the right, clock-wise).

sniperSI
09-21-2002, 08:36 AM
What would be the advantage of this?

Great trick BTW!

gpt
09-21-2002, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the tip! I was actually thinking ofstarting a thread yesterday to find out how to do this!

02-sir
09-21-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Pir8pete
A/C OVERRIDE

1) Have the car turned off.

2) Turn the vent knob to off (All the way to the
left, counter clock-wise).

3) Turn the temperature knob to full blue (All the
way to the left, counter clock-wise).

5) Start the car and keep both air recirculation and
A/C button pressed.

6) Wait for air recirculation button to stop
flashing.

To turn the original feature back on, repeat all
steps, but for "STEP 2", turn the knob to full red (All the
way to the right, clock-wise).

what does this do?

02SilverSiHB
09-21-2002, 03:41 PM
strange...I've always been able to control my a/c with the defog on....maybe I'm lucky :confused:

02SilverSiHB
09-21-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by sniperSI
What would be the advantage of this?

Great trick BTW!
funny you say that....it really only helps to keep your car from losing maybe like a couple of horse power when you turn on the defogger it makes the a/c come on...hence making you slower....but it also makes it harder to defog your windows.

Dallas2k2Si
09-22-2002, 01:46 PM
Excellent tip! I think I've got a clue as to why Honda made it auto engage. ClubSi folks did nothing but complain about how hard it was for the windows to defog on the '99-00 Si's. Seems like Honda fixed most all of the interior gripes about the Si coupes with the new 2k2 Si, so it stands to reason this is just one of those things.

Keep the good info coming! :)

SBC31
09-22-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Dallas2k2Si
Excellent tip! I think I've got a clue as to why Honda made it auto engage.
Dude, just to let you know that this became mandetory that all car manufacturers have the A/C kick in with the defog ahwile back.

Just thought I would let you know.

Dallas2k2Si
09-22-2002, 02:28 PM
And it did kick in automatically on my '99 Si - it's just that I could simply depress the a/c button and turn the compressor off. The 2k2 doesn't (or hasn't until I read this) let me do this. That's the difference.

Given the option, most people will turn off the a/c during defog and then bitch that the defogging system is weak. That was clearly the case on clubSi.com, based on all the posts I read.

02TafWhtSi
09-22-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Dallas2k2Si
Given the option, most people will turn off the a/c during defog and then bitch that the defogging system is weak. That was clearly the case on clubSi.com, based on all the posts I read.

They suck over there anyway, though. :D

BlasTech
09-22-2002, 03:38 PM
In my experience (in Texas at least) defogging hardly works in any car if you dont have the AC on.

People I know are always trying weird combinations of rolling down thier windows and adjusting the temp. I just hit the AC button for them and watch the dry air come out and clear the windows. Its always a shocker b/c they think the AC is only for the summer.

02SilverSiHB
09-22-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech
In my experience (in Texas at least) defogging hardly works in any car if you dont have the AC on.

People I know are always trying weird combinations of rolling down thier windows and adjusting the temp. I just hit the AC button for them and watch the dry air come out and clear the windows. Its always a shocker b/c they think the AC is only for the summer.
that's sooo true. If the A/C isn't on, you may as well forget defogging the windows.

esmith13
09-24-2002, 11:22 AM
Pir8pete,

I don't understand what your trick is for???

A/C Override??? As in make the A/C not turn on???

Confusing....

Anyhoo, HondaTech -- your the man!!! Thanks for the tip!!

B18CXr
09-26-2002, 10:19 AM
HondaTech-

I owe you a beer if we ever meet.

thanks

yomamaInMySi
09-26-2002, 10:51 AM
hey Hondatech, do you know if we are able to...never mind:D