PDA

View Full Version : To those with CAI & Icebox...a question on automatic carwashes.

streaker666
12-04-2003, 03:22 PM
I took my EP through a touchless car wash this morning...and as I was driving up to the entrance, a thought came to my mind as I was watching the Jetta getting its undercarriage sprayed in front of me.

Since the CAI and the ICEBOX are designed to suck in air from the bottom of the engine compartment, wouldn't going through a car wash be a problem?

I know that most of you are from the south and doesn't get a lot of sand and salt in your winters, so perhaps you can get away with not washing the undercarriage...but what about those in states that have snow in the winter? Granted that you would likely be in neutral going through those automatic car washes, but wouldn't it still be harmful to the engines with CAI's and ICEBOXes?

Just wondering, 'cuz I'm still thinking of getting the ICEBOX...

Zero Three Si
12-04-2003, 03:57 PM
The CAI should be covered in the wheel well, IF you still have a stock bumper. I'm not sure about the icebox.

jaydub
12-04-2003, 04:14 PM
Either way the only time you'll need to worry is if you're in deep enough water to submerge the filter. Rain or even car wash water being sprayed onto the filter isn't great but it isn't gonna mess it up either.

streaker666
12-04-2003, 05:18 PM
alright, cool...thanks for the replies.

So it's not as bad as some horror stories I've been hearing...that's good news.

TrippZ
12-04-2003, 07:58 PM
uhhh is this a car wash with the coaste,r whre it moves the car? or if you move it yourself?

if it moves the car, just shut it off, and go for a ride... if you have to drive, dont be a moron and keep itat WOT... its that simple, holmes!