PDA

View Full Version : For those who have lowered their car

SiR_d1
12-04-2003, 05:21 PM
Have any of you put your car through those car washes at the gas stations? I just wanted to know if my car will fit through the rails, and now that my rims are off I don't have to worry but it getting scratched. I am more concerned about the greddy evo midpipe getting all scarped up.

Has anyone done this?

blackyEP3
12-04-2003, 05:26 PM
Just make sure you go to a "touch less" one!! The last thing you need is swiral marks on your EP Man!

SiR_d1
12-04-2003, 05:29 PM
thats a for sure but i want to know if i'll even fit.

My other car is lowered an its too low to go through the wash.

Im riding on teins, and since its not slammed I wanna know if I will fit

Rey
12-04-2003, 06:36 PM
I take mine to those kinds of car washes all the time. I am lowered on Sportlines with 215/45/17's and I don't scrape at all. Just ask the workers there. I have seen escalades with 22's go through those and I have also seen bagged low riders go through too unscathed.

SiR_d1
12-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Thanks Rey,

anyone else??

Civicvtec1ps
12-04-2003, 09:29 PM
I am sure you will be fine with that drop but i would NEVER ever take my car in for automatic car washes.

SiR_d1
12-04-2003, 09:30 PM
why?

Rey
12-04-2003, 09:31 PM
Cuz the satisfaction of doing a spotless kickass job yourself is well worth the trouble for our car :P

SiR_d1
12-04-2003, 09:34 PM
that only applies for me in the summer, not in the winter

william
12-04-2003, 09:35 PM
you have to be careful with some of those places. Once place I took my EP when it was still 100% stock, didnt have and plastic guides on the metal guide rail. and even though the was was touchless, my rim had a nice gash on the side. Not cool.

SiR_d1
12-04-2003, 09:41 PM
this is why I never wanted to go through one when I had my rims on

BluePearl03Si
12-04-2003, 09:42 PM
I'm sorry but in the winter a good touchless wash is the only way to go in the colder states.

Anyone who washes their car in near freezing temps, only to drive it and have it get wet and dirty again the next day(Especially in the Northwest)is going a bit too far.

Normal machine washes will cause paint swirls and just suck.

The coin op ones are just as miserable to use in cold weather as your own hose.

Touchless is the way to go in winter, not damaging, usually cheap, and quick.

In the summer of course wash it yourself, but you can keep it clean for a couple weeks with a california car duster if it doesn't rain. But in the winter, forget it!

SiR_d1
12-04-2003, 09:48 PM
there's actually a touch free car wash near where I live. You basically drive in the middle and these computerized hoses go around and wash your car. The only problem is that there is a huge bump that you have to go over and I'm afraid that my car is going to scrape. I go over speed humps pretty easily but Im worried that the bump in the car wash would be higher, im probably just worrying too much

BluePearl03Si
12-04-2003, 09:48 PM
And don't use the rail guided ones!

Go to the small ones, like at gas stations, where it moves over you. Drive through the blower slowly, and then bring a shammy along to get rid of any spots.

Brown Bear Car Washes for instance, found at alot of 76 stations.

If you have low profile tires, the rail guided ones WILL gash your rims.

Of course this is only in the winter, in the summer get out and wash and detail it youself you lazy bastard.

SiR_d1
12-04-2003, 09:51 PM
:confusem:
are you refering to me?

BluePearl03Si
12-04-2003, 10:49 PM
:yellm:

What if I am, Punk?

:smilem:

No, I'm not. Just everyone in general :winkm:

513n179
12-05-2003, 12:32 AM
i got my car lowered on tein springs as well... i've taken my car to a few places... i use the self wash most of the time, the other times i take it to a touch free wash. basically there's a little bump to go over like the one you described, but it's no prob at all.

phatfreeza
12-05-2003, 02:16 AM
i don't think it'll be a problem.. tein's dont' lower the car too much.. just take out all your excess luggage in your car to make sure you're as high as you possibly can...

and in so. cal... we have nice weather all year round... so we can wash our cars anytime we want... hehehe just felt like saying that :) good luck with your wash!

f1fever
12-05-2003, 03:34 AM
Use the one in ESSO. Just move slowly over the bump and it'll be fine. No offense, but if you really worry about the bump in the car wash there's gonna be a lot worse on the street. Don't drop your ride.

sonic imperial
12-05-2003, 09:27 AM
I've honestly never taken my car to a touch free wash. There is a brand new place that has one about 5 minutes from my house. How clean do they get your car? Will it still have dirt spots on it?