PDA

View Full Version : How DOES a Turbo EP Handle in the snow?

EPHatchgirl
12-05-2003, 06:11 AM

I don't know, because I wasn't willing to find out yet....

:D ;) :)

See the car that's cock-eyed across the street? Those poor people moved here from Hawaii, and they were on their way to work (at the Army) and got NO WHERE... I watched 'em rock back and forth for twenty minutes, and by the time they were done, they couldn't even get back down to where their house is....:confused:

EPHatchgirl
12-05-2003, 06:13 AM

EPHatchgirl
12-05-2003, 06:15 AM

Loudpedal
12-05-2003, 06:28 AM
EPHatchgirl, please tell me you're putting winter tires on.

foilpan
12-05-2003, 06:28 AM
ack! you have snow tires, right?

wide low profile tires don't do so well in the snow. i can only imagine what it's like with a turbo pushing extra power to the wheels.

be careful! let us know how it handles, too.

dj addicted
12-05-2003, 06:37 AM
3 words.... I LOVE FLORIDA

STP03BlueSI
12-05-2003, 06:56 AM
damn...so glad i dont have to deal with snow.

02SilverSiHB
12-05-2003, 07:09 AM
got to love the wing...it has so many uses :D keeps snow from building up on the rear window :cool:

EPHatchgirl
12-05-2003, 07:51 AM
Hey guys, yeah, like I said, I don't know if I am going to find out anytime soon how these tires do. I have Hankook Ventus something or others and they are fairly moderate tread, and handle like normal tires in the rain, so we'll see.

Unfortunately, with Christmas, bills and my car's new found hunger for gasonline, I haven't gotten snow tires. I also haven't had rims on a car before, so it's a learning experience. We'll see how it goes, I have a feeling I will be waiting until the roads are clear. I had to call in to work because I could not get up my street, so I am in no hurry to go anywhere!!

***EDIT: I couldn't make it up the street because the plows hadn't come through yet...

EPHatchgirl
12-05-2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
got to love the wing...it has so many uses :D keeps snow from building up on the rear window :cool:

LOL... yum... JDM Snow shield.;) :D

blackyEP3
12-05-2003, 08:06 AM
I've driven my EP with the stock tires in the snow. Its not bad. I have nokians on for this winter and I haven't had any scary experiences yet!

I rather spend $$ on tires then deductible for insurance! ;)

02NITEHAWKSi EP
12-05-2003, 08:09 AM
The Ep with all the snow kind of looks like a giant frosted muffin. he he he.

EPHatchgirl
12-05-2003, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by 02NITEHAWKSi EP
The Ep with all the snow kind of looks like a giant frosted muffin. he he he.

LOL.. then I guess it's vanilla frosting...:D

r3p00c
12-05-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by EPHatchgirl
Hey guys, yeah, like I said, I don't know if I am going to find out anytime soon how these tires do. I have Hankook Ventus something or others and they are fairly moderate tread, and handle like normal tires in the rain, so we'll see.

Unfortunately, with Christmas, bills and my car's new found hunger for gasonline, I haven't gotten snow tires. I also haven't had rims on a car before, so it's a learning experience. We'll see how it goes, I have a feeling I will be waiting until the roads are clear. I had to call in to work because I could not get up my street, so I am in no hurry to go anywhere!!

yeah, don't expect them to do much in the snow, even though you have decent grip in the rain. i just took my ep out this morning with my 17s/nankang tires, and it didn't grip worth a damn. i mean, you're fine as long as you keep it nice and slow, especially around turns and whatnot, but don't even think about going up any sorta incline. i couldn't even back my car into my spot at home... i just kept spinning everytime i tried, because its inclined a bit. i wasn't expecting much, and i only have to drive 2 miles to a job in the morning, so i'm not that concerned about it... but if you have a bigger commute to work i'd seriously think about throwin' on some wheels with all-seasons, especially with how bad they're saying the winter is gonna be for us md/south pa people this year.

furious
12-05-2003, 08:19 AM
i love how the wing shelters the Cybernation logo...mmm..mmm..good:cool:

furious
12-05-2003, 08:21 AM
oh and along the note of the snow tires...get them. no matter what it takes. hell i would even sell some mods if only to finance some snow tires. deductibles and premium hikes are bothers...and when i took 205/50/17 rubbers on a 1/8th inch of snow...i nearly got t-boned:eek:

oogy-boogy
12-05-2003, 08:31 AM
:eek:

OMG Julez! You need to get those stockies back on! You're nutzz to try and drive it with those Hankook's on! Never mind turbo'ed. Buy a cheesy set of steelies from an older junked ex/dx/hx and get some cheapo snows (the Kuhmo snow's are real cheap, have decent ratings and well worth it).

Good luck J! :D

Zero Three Si
12-05-2003, 09:31 AM
I'm glad I have a garage!!!! Chicago hasn't gotten really any snow yet. We don't get hit hard with snow until late January or Febuary.

k20hatch
12-05-2003, 09:32 AM
Hey thats what my car looks like right now...makes me kinda sad!!! :'(

EPHatchgirl
12-05-2003, 09:38 AM
LOL... steelies aren't the problem... and I am going to ask a nOOb question- how much for some all seasons? $100 a pop? I have 14" and 15" ugly as fuck steelies laying around, AND some porsche wheels which may be (not sure, so feel free to correct me) the right thread pattern.... :D

I am going to get them in the next pay check or so, but this storm caught me financially offguard.

Zero Three Si
12-05-2003, 09:39 AM
I believe the turbo handles the snow well. It stays under the hood and keeps warm. I'm not sure how the EP handles with a turbo installed though. :o)

specialblend154
12-05-2003, 10:09 AM
its actually snowing right now in north VA, i just shovel'd my driveway. it was cool tho cause i love the snow and i got to walk by my GARAGED si... hehehe.... but it is that time to put the stockies back on and clean off my ever so disgusting white rims and get them ready for the spring. i hear we are suposed to get an additional 4-8 inches tonight time to bust out the old snowboard and do some handrails... woo I LOVE THE SNOW

oogy-boogy
12-05-2003, 10:10 AM
Here Julez!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?compare=true&partNumber=&make=&model=&clarifier=&price=&width=195%2F&ratio=60&diameter=15&sortCode=38000&speedRating=&qty=&stockMessage=&type=T&URL=&newCompare=true&prevprice=&loadRating=&promoShortText=&promoUrl=&sidewall=&sidewallShown=&frontTire=&frontLeftTire=&rearTire=&rearLeftTire=&wantRHP=&RHPprice=&sumRating=&hasSpec=&hasWarranty=&hasComments=&hasTests=&hasSurveys=&perf=&pre=&goWhere=%252Ftires%252FCompare1.jsp&minLoad=S&loadRank=2&vehicleSearch=true&startIndex=0&sortValue=0&qty_96HR5ES100_=4&qty_96HR54000_=4&qty_96HR5TTA_=4&qty_96HR5EAGER_=4&qty_96HR5RE92NISS_=4

:D

esmith13
12-05-2003, 10:58 AM
Hankooks BLOW in the snow!

This is my second winter with them (Hankook Ventus 205/40/17).

Here's an example. This morning there was 1 inch of fresh fallen snow on the ground. I'm crusin around at a whopping 5mph down a small street. 10ft from the corner, I GENTLY apply preassure to the break pedal. Next thing I know, ABS is kickin in and I stop not even a foot from the intersection. I must have slid like 3-4 feet -- from a 5mph roll!!!

As for a turbo in the snow - It's irrelivent so far. If there is enough snow for me to be concerned, everyone on the road is driving like 30mph max anyways. You can get all the way up to 40-50mph and NEVER actually be in boost if you drive it right. I took the time to master this to and from work a few weeks back when it got REALLY cold. I new the snow was comming - was just a matter of WHEN.

P.S.: He looks pretty covered in snow, Jules. Be careful driving.

Eric

bloodzombie
12-05-2003, 11:45 AM
Am I the only one that thinks it's insane to dump that much money into a car with no garage to put it in? Not to mention the cybernation sticker screaming "THERES TONS OF STUFF WORTH STEALING ON THIS CAR!".

Maybe I'm getting too practical in my old age.

2k2SiAutoXer
12-05-2003, 11:49 AM
OOH how i miss the snow! Well, with me being i Iraq and my car being in the shop the EP has technically misses 2 winters so I have not yet had a chance to really drive in the snow. Just stay safe out there and please do get a set of snow tires.

--Tom

plpong893
12-05-2003, 12:00 PM
im in north jersey at school, got to drive all the way down to south, bout to leave shortly there is about 2 inches on the ground ill let u guys know...hopefully i wont crash

furious
12-05-2003, 12:00 PM
LOL... steelies aren't the problem... and I am going to ask a nOOb question- how much for some all seasons? $100 a pop? I have 14" and 15" ugly as fuck steelies laying around, AND some porsche wheels which may be (not sure, so feel free to correct me) the right thread pattern.... :D

I am going to get them in the next pay check or so, but this storm caught me financially offguard.

well if you are going with nasty steelies..then why not sport them with some nice snowtires rather than all season. unless you guys don't get snow/ice/sleet/freezing rain. i always thought that all seasons are half ass this and half ass that...and if you have snowies and dry rubber mounted on separate sets of rims...then best of both worlds.

priest6479
12-05-2003, 12:26 PM
Were getting hit here in Jersey right now and she gets decent grip with the stock tires in the snow, I wouldn't go hopping over snow mounds but she definatly gets some grip.

I just heard Jersey is going to get a foot of snow, Great =(

plpong893
12-05-2003, 12:29 PM
i whimped out i aint going home...cleaned off 4 inches off my car so i will sittin here bored..damn snow sucks! this is why i aint puttin any of my parts on till spring!

Zero Three Si
12-05-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by bloodzombie
Am I the only one that thinks it's insane to dump that much money into a car with no garage to put it in? Not to mention the cybernation sticker screaming "THERES TONS OF STUFF WORTH STEALING ON THIS CAR!".

Gotta agree with ya!

Zero Three Si
12-05-2003, 01:28 PM

Gotta agree with ya!

Black 02 SI
12-05-2003, 02:07 PM
pl, where in north jersey do you go to school. my g/f goes to felician college in rutherford, i'm always up there. i live in mt. laurel, right near cherry hill, and my g/f lives in burlington when not at school. we should set up a little meet sometime. what mods you have done to your car?

specialblend154
12-05-2003, 02:11 PM
last year i was sliding around with my girlfriend in a school parking lot and would just shoot as fast as i could go and pull the e-brake, ahhh sooo fun. too bad we got stuck and her ass had to get out and push. heheheh

EPHatchgirl
12-05-2003, 02:18 PM

Well, if you wanna buy me a house with a garage, cool.

I live in a townhome, and not that I need to justify shit with YOU, but, we have assigned spaces, and it's a little suburbia I live in... so, no, I don't think it's dumb to partake in a hobby I love... and I don't think owning a garage is a prerequisite to enjoying hooking up a car. Besides, no one around me even knows what Cybernation is yet (I am working on that). I have one of 3 hooked up EPs around. The other 2 I have seen are driven as grocery getters. Got BOOST envy???:p ;)

By the way guys, problem solved, we have 4 all season radials on our boosted EK with steelies, so I am swappin' 'em out tomorrow.... YEAH!:*

EPHatchgirl
12-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Black 02 SI
pl, where in north jersey do you go to school. my g/f goes to felician college in rutherford, i'm always up there. i live in mt. laurel, right near cherry hill, and my g/f lives in burlington when not at school. we should set up a little meet sometime. what mods you have done to your car?

Hey dude, just click on the "check my ride" (I think that's what it says) in my signature. I have a running list there.

***Still upset that suddenly, I am not ALLOWED to own a hooked up EP because I don't have a garage.:'( :mad: :p

***By the way, I DO have a garage to work on my car in, just not at my house, at my fiance's business... ;)

esmith13
12-05-2003, 02:27 PM
So what about me then?? i live on a tiny one way street in south philly, PA that barely has enough room for you to parallel park a car close to the curb and get another car down my street... Oh, better example... they have tiny minature trash trucks they use in my neighborhood cause normal ones WON'T FIT. When we get 6 inches of snow - no car on the block can move for 3 days... Dings in the front and rear bumpers are a DAILY OCCOURANCE where I live...

So am I not allowed to mod cars either???

Body kits - I agree... A no-no...

But anything else? It's my money fuck anyone who has a problem with it.

Jules - you got the hottest civic in the Baltimore area. I feel I've hung wit you enough to say it and know it's true. Screw people with turbo envy! ;)

Oh, BTW... Will the EK's 14" steelies fit over the rotors on the EP? or is it 13's that won't fit???

Eric

EPHatchgirl
12-05-2003, 02:29 PM
Eric- thanks for the love man (call my cell phone)....

I HOPE it's the 13's, but we will find out!:D

SilverEpInDc
12-05-2003, 02:35 PM
The snow sucks alot!

CivicSiR
12-05-2003, 02:35 PM
First of all, since when do people flame about someone not having a garage?

I understand she has expensive parts on her car. And it simply sucks that she can

Jpax
12-05-2003, 03:54 PM
God I love you.

You installed your own turbo and other stuff. oh OH OH yea.....:*

furious
12-05-2003, 03:58 PM
ripping on someone for not having a garage is gay (i don't think he did).

thinking everyone is envious of a turbo is gay.

younggotti266
12-05-2003, 04:11 PM
***Still upset that suddenly, I am not ALLOWED to own a hooked up EP because I don't have a garage.:'( :mad: :p

I think you should read what he said again.....

He said he thinks its insane to dump that much into a car w/out a garage....

Not,
Your not allowed to own a hooked up car with out a garage......

sleepin02si
12-05-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by specialblend154
last year i was sliding around with my girlfriend in a school parking lot and would just shoot as fast as i could go and pull the e-brake, ahhh sooo fun. too bad we got stuck and her ass had to get out and push. heheheh
LMAO, you are not a little guy:angel:

sleepin02si
12-05-2003, 04:22 PM
Jules - I WENT TO WORK TODAY!:mad: :mad: (biotch, j/k)
It was an awefull experience! I was spinning wheel to 70 on the speedo, at times. I couldn't get traction for anything. I was going up a hill (sort of). The speedo said 70 and I was barely moving. I know this was horrible for the EP, but it was my only choice. If I went backwards down the hill I was on, I would have spun out for sure! The storm caught me very off guard. (You saw me last night ;) The last thing on my mind was snow)

BluePearl03Si
12-05-2003, 04:39 PM
Not having a garage leaves you wondering where you are gonna work on your car. Construction materials are a total ripoff now, so building even a small garage is very expensive.

I have a gravel driveway with a concrete pad that I park the car on, and a tent garage over it (It doesn't snow here so it's not gonna collapse). That doesn't give me a place to work on my car.

And somehow I feel less good about parts that I didn't install myself, especially simple ones. So I make do out there.

furious
12-05-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by BluePearl03Si
(It doesn't snow here so it's not gonna collapse..

i thought WA stands for washington? if it is, i was 100% sure that it does in fact snow there...no? :confused:

i use to have the same problem, i use to just do all my stuff at my folks 1 car garage. now that i have a double garage...makes working easier...but it is still cold as all hell (nearly froze my feet off for just changing the oil in my snowthrower):(

Brettnyt
12-05-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by furious
i thought WA stands for washington? if it is, i was 100% sure that it does in fact snow there...no? :confused:

Sorry bub, no... It does not snow everywhere here... Everybody has a horrible image of seattle weather, but its not too bad... I mean, cities like new york get much more rain each year than we do... Oh well... Keeps everybody from moving here... :)

furious
12-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Brettnyt
Sorry bub, no... It does not snow everywhere here... Everybody has a horrible image of seattle weather, but its not too bad... I mean, cities like new york get much more rain each year than we do... Oh well... Keeps everybody from moving here... :)

learn something new everyday:D i thought that b/c it looks almost the latitude of NY...oh well...good for you guys...now i'm going to spread the word so we can camp out where you peeps are:D ;)

BluePearl03Si
12-05-2003, 04:57 PM
New York also gets snow, hurricane remnants, Nor'Easters, Hailstorms, Thunderstorms, and 767's.

Brettnyt
12-05-2003, 04:58 PM
learn something new everyday:D i thought that b/c it looks almost the latitude of NY...oh well...good for you guys...now i'm going to spread the word so we can camp out where you peeps are:D ;)

LOL... Well actually, now that you bring that up... Even though it does rain on average more in NY than in WA, it does rain more frequently here... Not as heavily as in NY however... All the rain does make for better maintained storm drains however, and more hills, which cause less flooding on our crappy roads...

furious
12-05-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by BluePearl03Si
New York also gets snow, hurricane remnants, Nor'Easters, Hailstorms, Thunderstorms, and 767's.

dude...that last one is uncalled for:yellm:

BluePearl03Si
12-05-2003, 05:01 PM
New York is just a big target, it's too high profile.

Now we all know the chances of getting killed in a terrorist attack are just about nil, but if something's gonna happen, it's prolly gonna be there.

Who the hell is gonna blow up Portland? No one would miss us anyway :eek:

BluePearl03Si
12-05-2003, 05:06 PM
Oh I'm just jealous because I couldn't afford to rent a closet in NY.

We have very well drained roads here, unlike places like LA where they seldom get rain but when they get it it's huge and the storm drains have been clogged with tires and cars and shopping carts and other junk, it of course floods.

And you always have at least one genius who plays in those Arroyos and gets swept away, making good news as they try to rescue him from the incredible force of the water.

EPHatchgirl
12-05-2003, 05:39 PM
ripping on someone for not having a garage is gay (i don't think he did).

thinking everyone is envious of a turbo is gay.

LOL... People who point out everyone around them is gay, is in fact, gay.:p ;) :* ....and you are right, he may not have meant that, but I don't think it's insane at all, insane meaning that it is something that a sane person wouldn't even consider, ya know??

I'll stop now, I pwomise.:)

**Edit: I'm just playin' but I couldn't resist since my little weather thread went down hill for a bit... so keep that weather coming... any more CA-er's out there that have sun and fun planned for the weekend? What is YOUR weekend outlook?

EPHatchgirl
12-05-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by PaXiE
God I love you.

You installed your own turbo and other stuff. oh OH OH yea.....:*

:* :*

Pax is DA MAN!

EPHatchgirl
12-05-2003, 05:42 PM
dude...that last one is uncalled for:yellm:

Tru dat.

furious
12-05-2003, 05:47 PM
LOL... People who point out everyone around them is gay, is in fact, gay.:p ;) :*

hehe:D i didn't say anyone is gay, just the quick to react over sensitivity and Garage vs. Mods bs;)

damn girl...you quick with them personal ripping aren't you?:D :cool: ;)

EPHatchgirl
12-05-2003, 05:54 PM
hehe:D i didn't say anyone is gay, just the quick to react over sensitivity and Garage vs. Mods bs;)

damn girl...you quick with them personal ripping aren't you?:D :cool: ;)

LOL, rock on, I didn't get to play in the snow, so cabin fever gets the best of me.:D ;)

Glad we are just playing, it's more fun that way than having a flame war, for a second I was like- CLUBSI? How did I get here!?!?!?! WTF?!:D

(You know, this is probably offtopic now- where IS a Nazi Mod when you need one?)

VividDreams
12-05-2003, 05:56 PM
just incase y'all didnt know, the reason Z rated(or similar) tires are shit in the snow is because of a few reasons. 1, because the rubber compound is formulated to wor at temps usually higher than 40 degrees, so anything below that with anything but rain equalls you being left with no traction. 2, most Z rated(or similar) tires are of the directional tread pattern, and in the snow, thats a no no. sure some SNOW tires have a directional pattern, but they arent as good as snow tires of the same size of the non-directional type. directional tires are made to push the water away, which is partly what hurts them in the snow. 3,a second aspect of tread design that hurts z rated(or similar) tires is that they have "big tread blocks" whild being good on dry surfaces, they are exactly what you dont want in the snow, rather if you look at a dedicated snow tire, youll notice hudreds of tiny grooves in the tire with several so called "sipes" in each tread block.

anyway, just thought id give an FYI

EPHatchgirl
12-05-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by VividDreams
just incase y'all didnt know, the reason Z rated(or similar) tires are shit in the snow is because of a few reasons. 1, because the rubber compound is formulated to wor at temps usually higher than 40 degrees, so anything below that with anything but rain equalls you being left with no traction. 2, most Z rated(or similar) tires are of the directional tread pattern, and in the snow, thats a no no. sure some SNOW tires have a directional pattern, but they arent as good as snow tires of the same size of the non-directional type. directional tires are made to push the water away, which is partly what hurts them in the snow. 3,a second aspect of tread design that hurts z rated(or similar) tires is that they have "big tread blocks" whild being good on dry surfaces, they are exactly what you dont want in the snow, rather if you look at a dedicated snow tire, youll notice hudreds of tiny grooves in the tire with several so called "sipes" in each tread block.

anyway, just thought id give an FYI

Thanks for putting value into my worthless thread!! LOL....I appreciate the info!:)

younggotti266
12-06-2003, 12:32 AM
any more CA-er's out there that have sun and fun planned for the weekend? What is YOUR weekend outlook?

Sat.
go to autobac meet
smoke some bomb ass cali bud
Eat
sleep

Sun.
Smoke some more
eat
sleep

You asked.