PDA

View Full Version : Creaking sounds

JBS02
11-29-2003, 08:23 PM
Yet another problem with my 02 Si. This one is the creaking steering rack. The creaking sound only occurs when launching straight ahead or coming to a complete stop. It is rarely heard when the car is in motion or when the wheel is turned left or right. The fix according to the good CTR owners at civictype-r.co.uk is a new steering rack. Has anyone experienced this problem with their Si or SiR? My dealer tried a new left strut assembly, but all that did was screw up the handling and steering balance - a new left strut and 24,000 mile old right strut combo just don't work well together. Once again I turn to ephatch for help.

team ERA 5
11-29-2003, 08:52 PM
check the suspension forum... the thread title is>>> ***aftermarket tie rods**** i have the same problem =( our damn tie rods are too long and when u lower ur car they angle and rub each other..something like that''''

RedLight_Si
11-30-2003, 01:07 AM
The front end of my car would make creaking sounds when I would slowly drive forward or backup while turning the wheel. The dealer replaced the steering rack.It seemed ok for a while, I suppose. Now the front end makes creaking noises again and some other strange noises. I went back to the dealer and they now said that this is normal.

Now what?

Suk02Si
12-01-2003, 01:17 AM
Hmm, my car is starting to do this too. At first I thought it was my sway bar coming loose and the bar moving around causing the bushings to creak. I check all the bolts and everything was tight.

So the only option we have is to replace the steering rack?

EKON
12-01-2003, 03:29 PM
JBS02 is your car riding stock? My car is stock height with 17" wheels, and it does the same thing. I'm going to the dealer on Wedensday to get it fixed(hopefully). I'll let you guy know what they tell me.

I hope its something simple, because this is my only car.

EKON:(

civicSIracer
12-01-2003, 04:59 PM
my steering rack is creaking like no other!! i cant stand it. its only when i accel from a dead stop till like the end of 2nd gear.. i took it o honda.. they had it for a day and a half and said it was aftermarket springs.....

EKON
12-01-2003, 05:02 PM
Tell them thats bullshit, because I'm on stock springs. Refer them to the thread.

02SilverSiHB
12-01-2003, 05:59 PM
I have the same prob, I think my creaking is from the tie rod ends....but I don't think having a modified car will do many good at the honda dealer http://a1.cpimg.com/image/CB/71/26390731-ab5f-004B004B-.jpg

pappaljf
12-01-2003, 06:15 PM
MOTOR MOUNTS

Seriously, check them. The noise to me best sounds like something breaking in the vicinity of the dashboard. Ecspecially if you hear it while accelerating. I hear creaking noises:

Under acceleration

IF I engine brake (done rarely)

If I go over bumps.

I just noticed today: sometimes the left side creaks, sometimes the right side creaks. Depends where the engine is moving. 3 broken mounts, and this is what you hear.

Just a thought, don't want to hijack a thread.

team ERA 5
12-01-2003, 08:15 PM
well i took my car to honda a while back...and my mechanic said it was the bearing in the strut (honda mechanic is really cool guy) and he used a instrument (that doctors use ..stetascope???) he said your tie rods are causing this sound because when u dropped your car it went from this ------ tooo this V ...and its rubbing at the angle...he actually tried ordering me a new steering rack and when the part came in the boss at honda caught him about to install it in my car and he already knew he was busted because my car is lowered and my suspension warrenty is voided so yep i feel bad for him trying to help me out (he no longer works as a mechanic and now works in the service department :( ) he said he got even in deeper shit when they couldnt close the deal (dont know what this meant but i felt bad for him and bought him breakfast...he told me to raise my car back up and the sound will go away...but i dont wanna go through all the trouble raising it back up because when my hub assemble fell out it was a hasssel to get back in 6 whole damn hours so yea im sorta scared now to mess with my suspension..if i am showstoppers is going to do it not that damn garage stuff...well to sum it all back up he spray wd40 where my steering rack meets and the sound went away it comes back from time to time so i just leave a can of wd40 in my car and i spray it whenever i hear it...(big hassel) im saving up for tein basics and raising my car a little or hopefullly someone will make aftermarket tie rods for our car or an adapter to shorten them...

02SilverSiHB
12-01-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by team ERA 5
well i took my car to honda a while back...and my mechanic said it was the bearing in the strut (honda mechanic is really cool guy) and he used a instrument (that doctors use ..stetascope???) he said your tie rods are causing this sound because when u dropped your car it went from this ------ tooo this V ...and its rubbing at the angle...he actually tried ordering me a new steering rack and when the part came in the boss at honda caught him about to install it in my car and he already knew he was busted because my car is lowered and my suspension warrenty is voided so yep i feel bad for him trying to help me out (he no longer works as a mechanic and now works in the service department :( ) he said he got even in deeper shit when they couldnt close the deal (dont know what this meant but i felt bad for him and bought him breakfast...he told me to raise my car back up and the sound will go away...but i dont wanna go through all the trouble raising it back up because when my hub assemble fell out it was a hasssel to get back in 6 whole damn hours so yea im sorta scared now to mess with my suspension..if i am showstoppers is going to do it not that damn garage stuff...well to sum it all back up he spray wd40 where my steering rack meets and the sound went away it comes back from time to time so i just leave a can of wd40 in my car and i spray it whenever i hear it...(big hassel) im saving up for tein basics and raising my car a little or hopefullly someone will make aftermarket tie rods for our car or an adapter to shorten them...
I can never get any type of lube in there..this is what you are talking about lubing right?
http://www.pryor.ws/honda/pics/Car_Springs_004.jpg
you some how manage to get some of it in where the bolt goes into the hole of the strut?

chubbychu
12-01-2003, 08:40 PM
ohhh...so thats how its making noise and creaking and stuff...could you bend the little strut part up a little to straighten it out?

team ERA 5
12-01-2003, 09:13 PM
02SilverSiHB

honda didnt lube up the boot nor the hole where the boot sits...honda lubed up the middle part where it dips down...

team ERA 5
12-01-2003, 09:19 PM
02SilverSiHB i see that you have access to a digital camera...i was wondering if u could take a picture of the back end of our engines where the header is and ill show u what they sprayed wd40 on...thanks...

02SilverSiHB
12-02-2003, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by team ERA 5
02SilverSiHB i see that you have access to a digital camera...i was wondering if u could take a picture of the back end of our engines where the header is and ill show u what they sprayed wd40 on...thanks...
cool, I'll do that when I get home for lunch today.

So they didn't spray the bolts to the struts but something else...hhhmmmm

02SilverSiHB
12-02-2003, 10:11 AM
Okay, hope these pics help you explain what you are trying to say, I think I know now what is you're saying. I take it they pulled those rubber things back and sprayed the lube in them?

Also, I noticed that the left one (my passenger side) rubber piece is lighter in color as if more worn? Or maybe it's just me, because the driver side (right on in picture) looks dark black. I notice that when I make right hand turns that the sound is more constant and sounds like it comes from the lighter colored one.

Oh and pappaljf, my motor mounts are fine and the sound I get happens even at a dead stop with the motor shut off.
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMjE0MTEyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/i=wMjE0MTEzNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D

02SilverSiHB
12-02-2003, 11:59 AM
I still think it's my tie rod ends that go to the strut. I tried spraying grease and at the center area, and nothing worked. I opened the windows so I could reach in from outside and turn the wheel, the sound is definitely coming from the passenger side strut where the tie rod goes in, so I guess my problem is different. It never makes the sound except when I turn the wheel to the right for right hand turns

team ERA 5
12-02-2003, 12:37 PM
they lubed that part.....when it come back i just spray a grip on that section

team ERA 5
12-02-2003, 12:37 PM
they lubed that part.....when it come back i just spray a grip on that section

silver02
12-02-2003, 01:47 PM
my 2 cents. My car used to kreek after lowering it 2.5 in. didnt think much about it because everyone said it would. they said it had something to do with the upper strut mount. well after buying the KW struts and upper mount is stopped (lowered 2.75 in.). and its not just the Si, my wife has an Element that is stock ride hight and it dose it all the time. unfortunetly the KW upper mount wont fit OEM struts

02SilverSiHB
12-02-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by silver02
my 2 cents. My car used to kreek after lowering it 2.5 in. didnt think much about it because everyone said it would. they said it had something to do with the upper strut mount. well after buying the KW struts and upper mount is stopped (lowered 2.75 in.). and its not just the Si, my wife has an Element that is stock ride hight and it dose it all the time. unfortunetly the KW upper mount wont fit OEM struts
well,mine isn't the upper mounts nore that area team era showed. I think I'm going to get my digi vid cam and have someone turn the wheel while I tape it so you guys can hear and see where I'm saying it's coming from. The sound is definitely from my passenger side tie rod end...my friend agrees also.

02SilverSiHB
12-02-2003, 04:12 PM
okay, here's a vid, tell me if this is the same sound you guys get. And I know it's coming from the tie rod end at the passenger side. If I put the camera on the other side to listen, like the driver side, it sounds like the sound is away from the camera, try it in the center at the middle of the steering rack and the same thing...it's on my passenger side as I took the vid:
Right click save target as (http://www.imagestation.com/video/view.html?id=4201027715&dl=1)
by the way, car/rims are dirty as shit, I know :D

civic hatch boi
12-02-2003, 04:16 PM
yeap! that's the same sound i get.... mostly after i exit from driving highway.. then when im slow, it makes that sound. i hate it.

trk
12-02-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB
okay, here's a vid, tell me if this is the same sound you guys get. And I know it's coming from the tie rod end at the passenger side. If I put the camera on the other side to listen, like the driver side, it sounds like the sound is away from the camera, try it in the center at the middle of the steering rack and the same thing...it's on my passenger side as I took the vid:
Right click save target as (http://www.imagestation.com/video/view.html?id=4201027715&dl=1)

Damn, that shits loud .... I had it too... worse in rain then dry days --- anyway, after installing the mugen suspension, the sounds have almost entirely stopped. Its definitely not strut bearings...

sleepin02si
12-02-2003, 05:41 PM

What format is the file in? Winamp won't play it, Windows Media 9.0 won't play it.

civic hatch boi
12-02-2003, 06:00 PM
after you d/l it.. just change the .mps to .mpg.. and it'll work on ur media player :)

02SilverSiHB
12-02-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by sleepin02si
What format is the file in? Winamp won't play it, Windows Media 9.0 won't play it.
It's mpeg II format. better than mpeg I, gives better resolution imo. My windows media player plays it, I have the most up to date on. When I right click on the mpeg itself and choose properties, it says mpe file. so either try playing it with something else or renaming it to mpeg and see if that works.

trk, you're right...I found that it's the strut itself making this sound. Kind of weird, but, it's definitely the strut. Now I have koni inserts, so that could be why. I took the tie rod end out of the strut and it still made the sound, I was so pissed. I also noticed that my tie rod end boot was torn, not too bad, but a little. When I saw that I thought for sure I found the problem.

So with the tie rod out of the strut, I moved the strut around and it still made the noise while I had the car jacked up and moved it real hard back and forth...not in the motion to turn the wheel, but back and forth while I stood to the side of the car facing the wheel well. I pushed in and out and it made that sound. So I put my hand on certain areas of the strut hoping to find where it was coming from and the sound came strongly from the perch area. The spring wasn't moving around, so it wasn't the spring. I knew what it was, but didn't want to admit it :D

So I put my hand on the piston of the koni and I could feel it again while moving the strut. So I fucked around with it and I really do believe it's the koni insert scratching inside the stock strut. Not sure why this side and not the other, could just be stress from autocrossing and the koni insert being stressed to a point it presses agains the inside and makes this sound. I made sure the koni insert wasn't tightened down real well to insure it wasn't just loose. So that's it, nothing mechanically wrong, just happens to be the koni insert. As for those that may get the same sound, but on stock struts, it could very well be something entirely different, just sounds the same.
Oh well I guess....wish I hadn't bought these damn konis now. I'm going to email them about this, but I don't think they will help me on this issue.

sleepin02si
12-02-2003, 06:18 PM
It's mpeg II format. better than mpeg I, gives better resolution imo. My windows media player plays it, I have the most up to date on. When I right click on the mpeg itself and choose properties, it says mpe file. so either try playing it with something else or renaming it to mpeg and see if that works.

That didn't work. It came in as .mpg. Changed it to .mpeg, didn't work. I just dl'd wmp 9.0 yesterday, as well as the codecs, from microsoft. I don't get it.:( :(

02SilverSiHB
12-02-2003, 06:47 PM
That didn't work. It came in as .mpg. Changed it to .mpeg, didn't work. I just dl'd wmp 9.0 yesterday, as well as the codecs, from microsoft. I don't get it.:( :(
that is weird, so you right clicked save target as correct? when you do that, what does it want to save it as?

sleepin02si
12-02-2003, 06:56 PM
fa669883.mpeg

02SilverSiHB
12-02-2003, 07:15 PM
fa669883.mpeg
strange that it won't play. I just tested it out and it works for me. I get the same file name, but as for the save as type, it's movie clip...which would mean mpeg to me...same for you? if you want, pm me your email and I'll send it to you in avi format.

sleepin02si
12-02-2003, 07:36 PM
02SilverSiHB you have PM

02SilverSiHB
12-02-2003, 07:54 PM
02SilverSiHB you have PM
got it :D

ep3guy
12-02-2003, 08:03 PM
Very VERYYYYYYYYYY imformative post, thanks a lot. I will go check this in the morning when I'm not lazy. :D

Makross
12-02-2003, 08:38 PM
i have the same problem here also my car has about 26k miles should i take it to the dealer even if my car is lowered? what can we do to fix it? everytime i drive i feel like im about to break something:rolleyes: :mad:

02SilverSiHB
12-02-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Makross
i have the same problem here also my car has about 26k miles should i take it to the dealer even if my car is lowered? what can we do to fix it? everytime i drive i feel like im about to break something:rolleyes: :mad:
you can try, but I bet theyll just tell you to suck it up since you have your car lowered. I do think though that if the tie rods are brought back to stock, parrallel with the ground, then the sound will go away. Like I said, I didn't get the sound while turning the wheel when the car was jacked up, only when it pushed and pulled on it. I think it's just that when we lower the car, it's added stress on this part of the strut from our cars being lowered and not having the tie rods aligned correctly. Also those that have gone with full coilovers may eventually get this problem, maybe, if what I'm thinking is correct, the only reason they don't have the problem now is because the coilovers they bought are still new

EKON
12-03-2003, 02:14 PM
I just got off the phone with the Honda Service Guy and he said that Techline would not let him continue working on my car if its not in stock form. He did say that Honda has been getting question about this problem and is looking into it, but hasn't found the fix yet. So he suggested that I wait about 3-4k miles and then check back with him at that time. He also said that when I take it in next time to take my upper front strut bar, lower front tie bar and 17" wheels off the car, so we don't have any problems with Techline. He also says that it is most likely not caused by any of these mods.

Hope this helps.

02SilverSiHB
12-03-2003, 05:02 PM
I've been emailing koni back and forth. They are telling me to measure the diameter of my stock strut housing to make sure it's 50mm...which I just checked and it is...because they make different inserts now for the 2002+ Civics. Supposedly Honda has been replacing stock struts due to some creaking sounds...get this...they've been replacing them with 55mm struts. No idea how the hell that helps the creaking sound for people that had 50mm struts. So the koni guy said that when people order koni inserts from them, to measure both sides...because some times people will get 50mm on one side and 55mm on the other. Freaking crazy. I'd be one pissed mofo if I found that out while trying to install them. :mad:

SBC31
12-04-2003, 04:30 PM
Hi all,

I started getting this creaking noise today and my car is NOT lowered at all. What do I do now, I hate going to the dealer...

esmith13
12-04-2003, 04:39 PM
My honda tech told me this whole issue is due to a 1mm variance in the strut assembly's mounting position (a defect). Stock cars will have this problem too, but it's louder, more frequent and occours younger in life on a lowered car. At stock ride hight, it is just an annoyance, and honda is not doing anything to fix it. Lowered, it may cause rubbing issues that can lead to damage to the strut steering arm, the tie rod ends and the tie/steering rod. Basically the issue is the steering arm on the strut assembly is at too much of an angle to the tie rod and squeaks when turning the wheel. Lowering the car only steepens the angle.

I have the problem too and mine's BAD. Of course you would expect that with neuspeed race springs....

Eric

02SilverSiHB
12-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by SBC31
Hi all,

I started getting this creaking noise today and my car is NOT lowered at all. What do I do now, I hate going to the dealer...
you may as well go to the dealer...this way, at least Honda will have a record of how many this is affecting

i-WERKS
12-05-2003, 07:44 AM
I get this creaking sound when I accellerate from a stop. It sounds like it's coming from behind the dash area on the driver side. I hear it only when moving from a start at low rpms. If I start off at around 3000 rpm there is no sound. But around 1500 rpm I'll hear it. Since we have snow now, i find that i'll always hear the sound when the front tires slip when starting to move in the first gear.

Some threads say it's broken motor mounts. Can anyone post a picture of where I can visually check if this is the case?

JBS02
12-06-2003, 05:20 PM
The problem you describe is similar to mine. However, in my case it is not the motor mounts. See my most recent thread in this section. After two attempts, the dealership has not been able to correct the problem. Honda America are now involved, and I will be contacted in 3-5 days with a response. In the meantime, I have done research on my own, and have discovered that CTR owners are having the same problem. It seems that the problem lies in the steering rack, and in many cases Honda UK is ordering a steering rack replacement. BTW, my Si is not lowered. If yours is, you may want to put your OEM springs back on to avoid any warranty issues.

JBS02
12-06-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by SBC31
Hi all,

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the steering creak, and my car is also not lowered. Some Civic Type-R owners are also having this problem, and supposedly Honda UK has a technical service bulletin out for it. The fix in many cases is a new steering rack. Again, the symptoms are: creaking upon take-off or braking, but no creaks when car is cold. Once the engine compartment warms up, the creaking becomes louder and longer in duration and can often be heard anytime that I accelerate or brake. These symptoms are identical to those of the CTR owners. Correct me if I am wrong, but the '02-'03 Si and CTR have the same steering rack. I have contacted Honda America and will get a response in 3-5 days. I believe this problem is not "normal" and hope there is a fix because my car sounds like shit now. 24K miles on the odometer.

JBS02
12-07-2003, 04:54 PM
Redlight,
Yes, it happens when I let out the clutch, and take off. If I launch very slowly when the car is cold (near freezing air temps), it may not make the noise. When the engine compartment is warm, it creaks every time. Sounds like a coffin opening in a scary movie. Yes, I can often feel it through the steering. I might add that many of the same CTR owners are also having their front struts replaced for noises. I'm starting to wonder if there is a design flaw with the '02-'03 Sis. Note that the '04 Si has a revised steering system. You are right on about doing your own trouble shooting.

pappaljf
12-07-2003, 05:06 PM
OMG!!!

Your 'creaking coffin' description sums my problem up perfectly. The dealership I'm bugging to fix my car said it was my mounts, but your description is EXACTLY what I notice.

The dealership says I have 'worn' mounts, but I've checked them all out and they look fine.

I'm wondering if my problem may lie in the steering column also!

Do you feel a weird 'feedback' through your steering wheel and/or clutch pedal?

Have you noticed this noise with the clutch in while going over a bump?

This noise has been getting at lot worse. At first I'd only hear it in first gear. Now, 2 weeks later, I hear in 1st through 4th gear, at low RPMS.

Tell me I'm on the right track here! And what exactly is wrong with the steering column? What is this 'design flaw?'

JBS02
12-07-2003, 06:05 PM
pappaljf:
Yes, I get slight vibration through the steering wheel when the creak is heard. As for the clutch, I do not like to engage it going over bumps, so I cannot comment, but the problem is definetly not clutch related. I have 24,500 miles on the odometer and have been hearing the sound for the last 1000 miles or so. The creak is definitely getting worse. What is weird is that I do not hear the creak when the car is cold (near freezing temps). But after driving about a mile, the sound is heard with every take off and most stops. Try driving your car for about an hour straight, and let me know how it sounds then. Try taking off from a stop on a hill, if you want to hear a good creak.

My comment about design flaw is only speculation. But, the number of creaking complaints is growing. If your dealership cannot fix the problem, call Honda America and complain.

I have been driving sport compact cars (VW, Acura, Hyundai, now Honda) for 24 years, and have had 7 new cars during that time. I refuse to be told that the sound is "normal". If there is a fix coming, I pray that it is a permanent one. I still love my Si despite the numerous problems I've had.

pappaljf
12-07-2003, 06:18 PM
You're definately right about driving time. The longer the trip, the more I begin to notice the noise. Also, starting out uphill seems to really emphasize the noises also.

I'm taking the car to honda tommorrow and demanding they check out the steering rack. They're blowing smoke up my ass with these motor mounts.

I've never heard this noise while in reverse, have you?

Are you noticing low-quality shifts or any other problems?

icegrill
12-07-2003, 09:15 PM
Okay here's my contribution. I'm dreading taking my si to the fucktards at honda for this and a heat/ac switch problem. My 03 has 3400k on it and on slow starts in 1st there is an audible "creak" that seems to develop right around the passenger side door/wheel area. It is only there on acceleration. :p Any ideas what the hell this is related to?

bc2k20a3
12-07-2003, 10:35 PM
i am having the same problem.i noticed it on thanksgiving and it has got progressively worse.i took it to the dealership that friday and they told me it was my after market exhaust.i was like how in the hell would my exhaust give feed back though the clutch pedal.they said they don't know.well the bastards are going to fix my car if they got to go through and check every single part on the car.

i-WERKS
12-08-2003, 06:54 AM
All along i thought my clutch was fucked up. You guys described exactly what I have as well. Hope someone finds the answer.

pappaljf
12-08-2003, 07:50 AM
I-Werks:

I too originally thought this was a clutch problem. The noise seems to come right at the same point of clutch engagement in low gears, correct?

The dopes at Honda seem unable to fix this. Should I go to a private mechanic, pay him $50, and tell him to figure out what's wrong?

SBC31
12-08-2003, 09:20 AM
Interesting, my SiR is close to 24K and my problem just started. Probably just a coincidence.

I sure hope I don't have to replace the steering rack, I just hate the thought of Honda or anyone changing the whole thing...this is baaaaaaad!

pappaljf
12-08-2003, 09:55 AM
Yes, I'm at 24,700 and the problems have just started also.

This can't be conincidence

I'm going yell at my dealership.

SBC31
12-08-2003, 11:04 AM
List of US Honda technical service bulletins:

Tech Bulletins - Click Me (http://www.alldata.com/TSB/24/022451AP.html)

#12 looks like it may be related???

EKON
12-08-2003, 11:39 AM
Well it looks like I've had #5, 12, 18, and 22.

Spidey
12-08-2003, 11:39 AM
I'm getting the same problem but it sounds like a couple knocking sounds. I got the dealer to grease my clutch but that hasn't fixed the slight creaking noises i hear when I light push the clutch pedal.
I noticed that if I start at low rpms i get a couple knocking sounds,
exactly from the driver side underneath the dash.

02SilverSiHB
12-08-2003, 12:47 PM
I also get a squeak when driving as fast as 60mph. It almost sounds like it's coming right behind the steering wheel. This shit is about to get on my last nerve. Honda fucked up when they made this car.

SBC31
12-08-2003, 01:50 PM
No need to panic here, check out other cars like BMW's, VW's, Fords, Dodge.....and so on, they have way more then our cars do.

Lexus (http://www.alldata.com/TSB/31/02310308.html)

BMW (http://www.alldata.com/TSB/06/0206A443.html)

Chevrolet (http://www.alldata.com/TSB/10/021041IV.html)

And the list goes on.

pappaljf
12-08-2003, 05:24 PM
Spidey:

The clutch noise you are describing is a seperate issue. I believe the clutch master cylinder needs to be replaced.

The noises (I believe...) that we are describing are coming from behind the dash/engine bay.

Right guys?!

31102si
12-08-2003, 08:42 PM
creaking/popping/binding noises from the front end when driving slowing or backing up slowly while turning the wheel/ quote

Are you guys lowered and making this noise? If so you need to grease the cap that sits on the top of the spring. That is what causes the poping noise and vibration through the wheel. This is because when you turn the wheel the suspension turns also. If there is no lubercant on the cap on top of the spring it will pop due to the friction. Put some thick guppie grease o it like axle grease and this should solve the problem.

pappaljf
12-08-2003, 08:44 PM
I-werks, your and my problem isn't related to steering wheel position, correct? This problem is really obvious under straight-line acceleration.

bc2k20a3
12-09-2003, 03:36 AM
do you all get the creaking noise when you let off the gas ,but keep a little pressure on the gas?the creaking plus ametal rubbing sound is what i get.thought it was the mounts but i checked them and they are fine.i don't know what it is but is really bothering me.right now i'm leaning towards it being something to do with the brakes.there is a thread about a service bulletin from honda about the 02 brakes.i don't know ,but it is really getting on my nerves.i'm affraid to drive fastthinking it might cause stress on what ever the problem is.if anyone finds anything out let us know asap.thanks

sleepin02si
12-09-2003, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by pappaljf
I-werks, your and my problem isn't related to steering wheel position, correct? This problem is really obvious under straight-line acceleration.
Mine is! My four corners all creak. I assume it is something within the shock and strut assemblies. Also happens on hard stops.

My clutch pedal has the clicking/creaking problem, silicone grease fixed that for like 2 days. I also have the creaking strut assembly. Mine wheel creaks a little when I turn my wheel. I didn't use goppy grease when I put on my springs, used spray lihtium grease, big mistake. It was my understanding that the stearing creaks when you lower your car as a result of improper alignment of the tie-rod.

SBC31
12-09-2003, 06:07 AM
Seems that we now have at least 2 threads on this one. Moderators, can you possibly combine them to make it easier to get to the bottom of this.

i-WERKS
12-09-2003, 08:17 AM

Believe it or not, I have problem with both but the sound is different for each and comes from a different area.
When it's the sound from the steering it's like rubber rubbing against rubber and I can feel it on the steering wheel when i turn it.
When it's the straight line acceleration, it's like a creaking noise when I'm letting off the clutch.

pappaljf
12-09-2003, 02:16 PM
Everyone:

We're all at ~25k miles right?

sniperSI
12-09-2003, 02:54 PM
fuck honda, my shit is creaking like a bitch in the mornings, god its fucking annoying, i took that fucking si in at 24,000 miles, 30,000, 36,000 they couldnt find anything wrong, now my warrenty is up, i wonder if its still covered because i reported the problem prior to the warrenty being up and they couldnt resolve it.

anyways pisses me off i can't wait for my new suspension. die honda die!

ok i love my honda.

esmith13
12-09-2003, 03:36 PM
Everyone:

Heh, I'm at 33,000mi now and was at about 31,000mi when it started...

Eric

02SilverSiHB
12-09-2003, 03:50 PM
Everyone:

about to hit 30k on mine

sleepin02si
12-09-2003, 04:49 PM
I'm at 35k, mine started at 31k and became MUCH more noticeable when I lowered the car 800 miles ago.

edit: I don't think the recent snow we had made it any worse.

greenguy
12-09-2003, 05:37 PM
23k. and yes i have this issue:(

labelhunter
12-12-2003, 09:03 PM
Im at 40k and have this issue. Has gotten worse with the big snow storm we had. Im not lowered. It started a while ago just when the car was cold but now its all the time i go over bumps. Sounds like the steering is just gonna fall out. I dont know what to do.

Peking
12-12-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by labelhunter
Im at 40k and have this issue. Has gotten worse with the big snow storm we had. Im not lowered. It started a while ago just when the car was cold but now its all the time i go over bumps. Sounds like the steering is just gonna fall out. I dont know what to do.

You are not lowered, and are having this problem. Man take her in, no matter the cost. Could be something small, that could grow to be much worse. Who knows :(

estebones
12-12-2003, 09:56 PM
very interesting thread..

I have an 02 si with 9990 something miles on it and I am having the same creaking on the clutch. I should be taking my car in this comng Monday but we'll se what transpires from it. not too thrilled with honda's customer service as it is.
and the worse part is that Im not even droppes I have some 16 inch rims and some 240/45/16 tires, I am planning on dropping the car but witha ll this going on, im having second thoughts.

labelhunter
12-13-2003, 06:25 AM
Ive only taken my car to the dealer once. It was at 30k and i took it in for a valve job and radiator flush. They called it 30k mile check up and charged me 400 bucks to do just what i said. i did everything else before i went. So i really dont like getting ripped off by honda. But i guess i have to bring it in.

Peking
12-13-2003, 06:28 AM
Yeah, don't let them charge you for something you don't want. If they give you crap, tell them you didn't ask for it, and they didn't tell you they were going to do it.

SiRman
12-13-2003, 10:22 AM
I have the creeking sound as well as the clutch pedel problem.
The creeking when starting and stopping is not nearly as worrying as the clunk felt through the steering wheel, when I stab the throttle on/off at around 3k in 3rd. Anyone else have a clunk in their sterring wheel? I first noticed this problem in first gear stop and go rushhour traffic.

Start-creak-clunk-creak-clunk-creak-stop.
Accel>>>>>>>>>>throt off>>>>>>>>>brake

sleepin02si
12-13-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by SiRman
Start-creak-clunk-creak-clunk-creak-stop.
Accel>>>>>>>>>>throt off>>>>>>>>>brake
Are these 2 lines of text supposed to overlap to show sounds corresponding to each of those accel, decel. conditions? If so, I found that giving very light gas before pressing in the clutch will stop the clunk that I feel in the wheel under those conditions. This idea only applies to low rpm's in low gears. I'm not to sure what is happening at 3k in 3rd.

SiRman
12-13-2003, 11:18 AM
I'm not to sure what is happening at 3k in 3rd.

Just a example of when it sometimes happens.
It happens when I quickly stab the throttle on and off.
Could happen in any gear probably, just hard to test much higher then
3rd, cause you have to be in the power band.

This problem is somewhat intermitan(sp)as it doesn't happen all the time.

SilVic
12-20-2003, 08:44 AM
So was there a resolution? I'm very curious to find out what the problem is. It's a very irritating sound isn't it? Mine does it mainly when I'm light on the gas pedal or braking. Oh yeah does spraying WD40 work on stopping the squeaking a while? Thanks.

B4U
12-20-2003, 07:53 PM
thats happening to me too... on a Stock suspention...honda does not know whats going on... thay told me about the wd-40 trick.#%@! that shit. i want it fixed!

JBS02
12-20-2003, 09:07 PM
Here is an update on my steering creak problem. But first some details: '02 Si with stock suspension; creak started at about 24,000 miles; no creak at air temps below freezing, but after the car warms up or air temps are above freezing, it creaks every time; when car is cold creak is heard only at take-off, but after car warms it will creak loudly upon stopping or just pressing the throttle; when the creak is at its loudest I can also feel a vibration through the steering wheel. The dealership has verified the creak, but are clueless after two attempts to fix it. Otherwise, my steering action is fine. According to the dealership service director, the Honda Tech Line is not familiar with this problem. I have filed a case with Honda customer service, but they said I would have to meet with district service manager before anything could happen. He comes to the dealership once per month - I just missed him this week.

Through online research, I have discovered that this is a known problem with '02 Civic Type-Rs in the UK. Supposedly the UK dealerships there know all about it. Go to www.civictype-R.co.uk forum (you will have to register, but in seconds you will receive approval) and go to their faults and fixes section. Go to the second page and read the thread "steering creak". Their description of the problem is exactly the same as mine. The first fix is to install a thicker nut on the steering rack so that it could be tightened down more. If that doesn't work, the steering rack is replaced and the creak is gone. The steering rack costs $1400 when I did the pounds to dollars conversion. How would you like to pay that after your warrenty is up. I assume the steering is the same in our cars as theirs, except on the left side. I passed this info onto the dealership service director, and he passed it on to the Tech Line, but I doubt they will make the connection. They most undoubtedly will try to "reinvent the wheel".

My advise to any one having this problem is to complain to the dealership, and to Honda (1-800-999-1009, I think, or look in your owner's manual for the number). It has been very torturesome trying to get this problem fixed, and I have been met with much incompetence, feet-dragging, attempts to dismiss the problem, and a general lack of concern. But if enough people complain, maybe we can get this product defect fixed. Note that the '04 Si has a revised steering system. Sorry for the long rant.

02SilverSiHB
12-21-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by JBS02
Here is an update on my steering creak problem. But first some details: '02 Si with stock suspension; creak started at about 24,000 miles; no creak at air temps below freezing, but after the car warms up or air temps are above freezing, it creaks every time; when car is cold creak is heard only at take-off, but after car warms it will creak loudly upon stopping or just pressing the throttle; when the creak is at its loudest I can also feel a vibration through the steering wheel. The dealership has verified the creak, but are clueless after two attempts to fix it. Otherwise, my steering action is fine. According to the dealership service director, the Honda Tech Line is not familiar with this problem. I have filed a case with Honda customer service, but they said I would have to meet with district service manager before anything could happen. He comes to the dealership once per month - I just missed him this week.

Through online research, I have discovered that this is a known problem with '02 Civic Type-Rs in the UK. Supposedly the UK dealerships there know all about it. Go to www.civictype-R.co.uk forum (you will have to register, but in seconds you will receive approval) and go to their faults and fixes section. Go to the second page and read the thread "steering creak". Their description of the problem is exactly the same as mine. The first fix is to install a thicker nut on the steering rack so that it could be tightened down more. If that doesn't work, the steering rack is replaced and the creak is gone. The steering rack costs $1400 when I did the pounds to dollars conversion. How would you like to pay that after your warrenty is up. I assume the steering is the same in our cars as theirs, except on the left side. I passed this info onto the dealership service director, and he passed it on to the Tech Line, but I doubt they will make the connection. They most undoubtedly will try to "reinvent the wheel".

My advise to any one having this problem is to complain to the dealership, and to Honda (1-800-999-1009, I think, or look in your owner's manual for the number). It has been very torturesome trying to get this problem fixed, and I have been met with much incompetence, feet-dragging, attempts to dismiss the problem, and a general lack of concern. But if enough people complain, maybe we can get this product defect fixed. Note that the '04 Si has a revised steering system. Sorry for the long rant.
thanks for the info, but I know how mine is happening. I'll check out the uk site for the hell of it.

Mine is happening when the front right strut assembly is given side pressure. If I jack the car up and turn the wheel with my hand, it doesn't make the sound, but if I push and pull on the whell the sound comes from the strut. :(

SiRman
12-21-2003, 04:35 PM
Man my car is screwed! Gotta get it to Honda ASAP.
Major creeking and clunking felt through my steering column.
Only once car is up to temp. Creeks when I turn the wheel a little.
Clunks when there is a change in load(on/off throtle, braking, or coming to a complere stop push the clutch in all the way, then hear clunking in steering column as I go over bumps.
My clutch pedal is also creeky, as well as my shifter/linkage.
This is lame.:sadm:

02SilverSiHB
12-21-2003, 05:54 PM
it's this damn mcpherson fucking strut design..fucking blows. why did they feel the need to change it to this...oh yeah, for a 5 star crash rate..yeah, great.

esmith13
12-21-2003, 09:39 PM
HAHAHAHAHAA!!!!! IT'S GONE!!!!!

I can't believe it and I hope it lasts!!!!! My creaking is gone!! I mean COMPLETELY GONE!!!!

I changed my springs from Neuspeed Race to Eibach Sportlines this weekend. While I had the front struts dissasembled and while re installing them with the new springs, i found the god-damned creaking sound source!! - And you WILL NOT believe what it was!!! Now, bear with me here, cause I'm not sure what the "proper" names for these parts are...

When you take apart the strut assembly by undoing the self locking nut in the center - the mounting plate comes off (triangular thing) then the upper spring seat (metal cover) then the the spring cushion (rubber piece under spring seat). Then you can remove the spring and then the bump stop or black rubber sleave or what ever you would call it.

The squeaking on my car was caused by the flat flared rubber top disc of that sleave/bump stop getting squished into the rubber upper spring cushion when the strut is fully assembled. All i had to do while the tire was off my car and the strut assemble was completely installed, was stick my fingers through the spring and pull down that sleave so it was not lodged into the spring upper cushion. That rubber on rubber connection was causing my creaking sounds!!! i di not even have to grease the rubber parts - just mearly un lodge them from each other! I can only guess they got lodged together when I came close to or bottomed out one day and they got smooshed into each other. With my new springs i have not come close to bottoming out yet, so i don't know if it will get lodged in there again later, but it's a 5 min fix with just removing the front tire and pulling down on that sleave. i will keep you guys posted on weather or not my creak comes back.

I'M SOOOOOO HAPPY NOW!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Eric :D :D :D

SiRman
12-21-2003, 10:15 PM
Glad to here you fixed your problem.
Not sure mine is that simple though, as I have some serious clunking in the steering column.

esmith13
12-22-2003, 05:43 AM
Thanks.

I had clunking when I first pt my springs in... It was a tie rod end bolt still half a turn loose.... I'd check those out if I was you..

Eric

sleepin02si
12-22-2003, 03:19 PM
Eric - You knew I was having this problem AND you were at the spring install. Think you could have mentioned this part a little bit sooner?:(

esmith13
12-22-2003, 06:28 PM
Just happened when I installed my NEW SPRINGS Sunday December21st!! How much faster could i tell you???
I only posted it like 10 hours after i got home!!

Eric

william
12-22-2003, 06:47 PM
didnt notice any creaking noises on my stock suspension, but after I installed my mugen suspension I just notices the exact same thing you are all noticing. Car makes no noise when cold (below zero) then as car comes up to temp, the clutch pedal creakes, also noise from driver side under the dash, It occurs at the begingin of acceleration and decelleration, also some creaking when wheel is lightly turned from side to side. The mugens were on for about 300km, that's when I noticed this. I havent had time to get an allignment so I hope that that cures some of the problem. I got a shop to take a look and they greased my front sway bar (no help) and noticed that my rear engine mout may have a small crack in it, but I dont see how that could casue noise in the clutch (WTF?) or when the wheel is turned side to side. This blowes! But at least it's just a noise, if nothing mechanical is going to fail then I can live with this noise and blame it on suspension, but as soon as I have a chance I will look into comparing the 04's revised steering rack, and comparing it to my own.

As for the clutch, I wonder if any cables or rods are near the steering components, and this my be causing the noise.:yellm:

sleepin02si
12-22-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by esmith13
Just happened when I installed my NEW SPRINGS Sunday December21st!! How much faster could i tell you???
I only posted it like 10 hours after i got home!!

Eric
I was just messin' with ya:angel: Who did you do your install with? I am going to take my whole setup apart when it gets warmer, or I find a warmer place to work. I want to put the goopy grease in the spring seats and check those rubber sleeves you mentioned, as well as tighten the tie rod ends another turn or two.

Has anyone had any creaking from the back? I do, on occassion.

SiRman
12-22-2003, 11:41 PM
Went to Honda dealer today:

Clutch pedal creeking: Clutch master cyl. being replaced under Warranty.:D

Shifter creeking/roughness: New shifter mechanism being replaced under Warranty.:D

Steering creek/clunking: WARRANTY DENIED due to springs voiding suspension warranty. They didn't even look at it.

I'm going to have all the supsension looked at to try and track down
the source of the steering column problem. If I don't make any progress I might have to put the stock springs back in and take it to another dealer.

02SilverSiHB
12-23-2003, 11:23 AM
Went to Honda dealer today:

Clutch pedal creeking: Clutch master cyl. being replaced under Warranty.:D

Shifter creeking/roughness: New shifter mechanism being replaced under Warranty.:D

Steering creek/clunking: WARRANTY DENIED due to springs voiding suspension warranty. They didn't even look at it.

I'm going to have all the supsension looked at to try and track down
the source of the steering column problem. If I don't make any progress I might have to put the stock springs back in and take it to another dealer.
I can't remember what kind of spring you have, also, is the creak sound the exact same as mine?

Have you tried jacking up the car, taking the wheels off in the front and messing with the shocks, turning the struts, pushing and pulling them to see what causes the sound. Also, when you do jack it up, make sure your dustcover/bumpstop in the front is all the way down and put some grease on the top of it, it make cause a creak sound if it is pushed up and rubs up against the top of the strut mount

SiRman
12-23-2003, 05:09 PM
I have the Spoon progressive springs.
Yeah I'm gonna get my whole suspension checked out.

02SilverSiHB
12-23-2003, 07:50 PM
I have the Spoon progressive springs.
Yeah I'm gonna get my whole suspension checked out.
ah, that's right, I think I tried doing a search for pics of your car with the springs on, but no luck, the pics weren't up :( do you still have pics? I would be interested in seeing the drop.

Well, hopefully it's something simple like the friend of mine's was.

SiRman
12-23-2003, 09:17 PM
Sorry no pics yet, hopefully within the next month.:banana:

Like when I get T1R midpipe installed.:smilem:

02SilverSiHB
12-23-2003, 09:46 PM
Sorry no pics yet, hopefully within the next month.:banana:

Like when I get T1R midpipe installed.:smilem:
Is the t1r midpipe the mandrel bent one you can buy on the net? I've heard about this and haven't been able to find it...got any more info :D

SiRman
12-24-2003, 02:27 AM
I've heard about this and haven't been able to find it...
Thats because it is brand spankin new!

All the info available is right here:
http://www.k-series.com/news_details.php?news_id=41

You can buy it from http://www.aj-racing.com/. Talk to Ben or Allen. They are really good guys.

I will have more info once it is installed.:smilem:

02SilverSiHB
12-24-2003, 09:16 AM

You can but it from http://www.aj-racing.com/. Talk to Ben or Allen. They are really good guys.

holy shit! sweet, how I missed this, I don't know :o

02SilverSiHB
12-24-2003, 09:28 AM

You can but it from http://www.aj-racing.com/. Talk to Ben or Allen. They are really good guys.

oh yeah, how much, I'm too lazy too call :D

Si Death
12-24-2003, 04:50 PM
man so is everyone EVENTUALLY gonna get this problem?? I got 3.5k and of course no problems . however this thread is starting to scare me.
if i drop it with mugen suspension, will this elminate the creak sound??

JBS02
12-24-2003, 07:39 PM
This creaking problem is the only thing stopping me from some serious modding. Seems like HONDA will not address this problem if your car is lowered or has front strut bars, etc. EKON was told that HONDA is working on this problem, but doesn't have a fix yet - might take months. Hopefully a TSB will come out to address it and we can all get it fixed. I dread having the dealership try to sort it out - everytime I have the car in, a new dent, ding, or scratch appears on my precious Si.

EP33
12-26-2003, 12:14 PM
Jumped in my girls car to move it out of the driveway so I could get the Si out the G-rodge. I turned the steering wheel and I hear the same creak sound, just a lower volume. I turned her steering wheel lock to lock a couple of times and yep it's doing the same shi* as our cars. She has my factory wheels and tires on her car w/stock suspension (which is lower than our cars).:mad:

02SilverSiHB
12-26-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by EP33
Jumped in my girls car to move it out of the driveway so I could get the Si out the G-rodge. I turned the steering wheel and I hear the same creak sound, just a lower volume. I turned her steering wheel lock to lock a couple of times and yep it's doing the same shi* as our cars. She has my factory wheels and tires on her car w/stock suspension (which is lower than our cars).:mad:
damn :( that totally blows, but at least with the coupe you can take it to the dealer and harass them about it. I'm still trying to find a front right stock shock for cheap so I can redo the install on that one, I think I did cut too much and that's why it's making the sound for me. When my mother in law leaves tomorrow it will give me some time to mess with the car and take the passenger side apart completely to see if I can fix it before forking out the money for a stock shock.

EP33
12-26-2003, 08:32 PM
Good Luck. How much was cut off the RF stock strut?

Feel like you deserve a job a Honda performing R&D? I do:p

I would have traded wishbones for a shifter on the floor:'(

Good Luck, try a new strut bearing on that side (kinda cheap) see if anything changes. Even if it doesn't help, I feel they take a beating compared to a stock height Si. :confusem:

02SilverSiHB
12-26-2003, 08:46 PM
Good Luck. How much was cut off the RF stock strut?

Feel like you deserve a job a Honda performing R&D? I do:p

I would have traded wishbones for a shifter on the floor:'(

Good Luck, try a new strut bearing on that side (kinda cheap) see if anything changes. Even if it doesn't help, I feel they take a beating compared to a stock height Si. :confusem:
to tell you the truth, I'm not sure how much I cut off on the rf one. I just kind of glanced before and thought it was okay, but it's hard to tell with the strut installed and the srings in the way, I need to take it all down.

I know what you mean about the wishbone :(

02SilverSiHB
12-27-2003, 11:01 AM
!!!!No More Creak!!!!!

Damn, I'm am soooo excited :D I took the entire front right/left suspension apart. I found that I in fact did cut too much off of my stock strut when installing the koni inserts, but that's okay. I just turned the insert until I found a better spot for the nubs, retightened it, oh and before that, I put some grease inside the stock strut just in case it wants to creak again..there's no way that the lithium grease will get out of the stock strut. After I finished that I tightened it down reallllllll good. I went freaking nuts trying to get it as tight as possible.

Then I went ahead and re greased my o ring things...whatever the nomenclature is...on the top part of the suspension. I saw that one of the rings that is the smallest that goes on the top part of the suspension was worn down pretty good, and some metal of the part that holds the rubber on the top piece was showing...as if griding. I just sanded it down till it was smooth, greased it up like fucking mad.

Put everything back together and drove around in the damn sprinkling rain to make sure it was good to go....absolutely no creak sound. Damn, I'm sooooo happy, now I can stop bitching about the front suspension being a bad idea :D and just come out and admit, I am the reason it creaked ;) well, I'll know for next time :p

EP33
12-27-2003, 08:53 PM
May the forces that control which endures, see over the RF suspension on your Si.

For I shall do the same in the near future.

02SilverSiHB
12-27-2003, 08:55 PM
May the forces that control which endures, see over the RF suspension on your Si.

For I shall do the same in the near future.
still working great :D drove around like mad and no problems :D

sleepin02si
12-27-2003, 09:05 PM
I need a garage, or otherwise warm and dry place. I hate not being able to do shit until it gets warmer.

EP33
12-27-2003, 09:06 PM
Isn't it nice to have a "quiet" car. I miss that shi*

02SilverSiHB
12-27-2003, 09:09 PM
Isn't it nice to have a "quiet" car. I miss that shi*
yes, it is nice :) I feel like I have a new car

Mithuth
12-27-2003, 09:27 PM
Any word on the 04's doing this? I realize they are new to the market wiht their modified front suspensions, but is anyone in an 04 and having the creaking problems?

By teh sounds of it so far, it's mostly been a matter of finding the proper position for the strut/sprins and a little grease to solve the creaking?

I'm jsut curious aobut this because I plan to lower the Si when I get it, and if it's going to be a pain in the ass, I'd jsut go with the 04 and save the hassles.

JBS02
12-28-2003, 06:23 PM
Mithuth,
My suggestion to you is to get the 04 over the 03 eventhough it may cost more. Besides suspension and steering revisions, other small details like sound deadening have been addressed. It will be a little more refined.

BTW, I live about 100 miles south of Warren, and go there often during the summer. I drive a silver 02.

BlasTech
12-29-2003, 11:00 AM
Congrats on the fix, Mike! Im hoping it stays fixed!

02SilverSiHB
12-29-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech
Congrats on the fix, Mike! Im hoping it stays fixed!

Mithuth
12-29-2003, 11:00 PM
Mithuth,
My suggestion to you is to get the 04 over the 03 eventhough it may cost more. Besides suspension and steering revisions, other small details like sound deadening have been addressed. It will be a little more refined.

BTW, I live about 100 miles south of Warren, and go there often during the summer. I drive a silver 02.

Yeah, I am leaning toward the 04, but I have some wheels and tires off of my CRX that would bolt to the 03 and older... then agian, why use my OLD wheels on a NEW car. lol.

Where are you located, Franklin, or closer to the burg?

javi2002whitesi
01-12-2004, 02:13 PM
Help guys im experiencing something similar and its driving me nuts!!!! Mines is making a creaking sound like an old wooden floor wood.It happens when i decelerate slowly or accelerate in lower rpms.After lubing up all the parts that had been mentioned in this thread with wd-40 and white lithium grease i still have that noise.:'( Im dropped on neuspeed race for about a year now with no noises and now im at about 18000 miles im having this annoying problem.The noise comes from the dash and i have been able to reproduce the noise when im stopped in my drive way and start turning the wheel fast and then real slow from left to right i hear my steering creak like and old wooden floor or like someone before had mentioned like an old coffin from a scary movie. What should i do??Dealers in my area are total assholes about modded cars..This seems like a design flaw since other members who are stock are suffering from this also, i hope honda does something about this.
javi

02SilverSiHB
01-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by javi2002whitesi
Help guys im experiencing something similar and its driving me nuts!!!! Mines is making a creaking sound like an old wooden floor wood.It happens when i decelerate slowly or accelerate in lower rpms.After lubing up all the parts that had been mentioned in this thread with wd-40 and white lithium grease i still have that noise.:'( Im dropped on neuspeed race for about a year now with no noises and now im at about 18000 miles im having this annoying problem.The noise comes from the dash and i have been able to reproduce the noise when im stopped in my drive way and start turning the wheel fast and then real slow from left to right i hear my steering creak like and old wooden floor or like someone before had mentioned like an old coffin from a scary movie. What should i do??Dealers in my area are total assholes about modded cars..This seems like a design flaw since other members who are stock are suffering from this also, i hope honda does something about this.
javi
When you are driving, do you noticed while going striaght that the sound happens when you press the gas more, and if you turn the wheel a tad you can hear a creak coming from what sounds like behind your steering wheel. And then when it makes that sound and you are coming to a stop, if you kind of turn the wheel back and forth it makes that sound even more?
Also, after it makes all these sounds, does it no do it when you are parked?

javi2002whitesi
01-12-2004, 05:05 PM
thats exactly what it does.

02SilverSiHB
01-12-2004, 05:17 PM
thats exactly what it does.
I had a bad creaking sound before, it was my koni inserts...but I also had another creak on top of that sound that was a bit different and happened just as I explained. When I fixed my koni inserts to stop creaking, I had noticed some other problems with my suspension.

The top mounts that are on the suspension were worn down pretty good. One o ring was worn bad and had actually cause it to rubinto the metal cap that holds the rubber...which goes right on top of the spring. I didn't have replacement parts, but I knew it would come back eventually...which it did. I still have the sound. I had used tons of grease and lube and it was gone for about a week, then I could start to notice it once and a while.

I'm not to sure what caused this problem, but I know if I want the sound to go away, I'm going to have to buy new parts.
to get a good idea of what I'm talking about, item number 9 was worn down real bad, probably causing item 10/11 to rub it's bottom area against the top area of item 7.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13S5S01_B28.gif
So now, when weight is transfered back and forth...from accel/stopping, etc. it makes this sound we get.
Hope that helps

william
01-12-2004, 06:12 PM
I disagree with the worn out parts being the casue of the problem. I too thought that at first, but then I realized that the creeking started about 1 week after I installed my BRAND NEW mugen suspension, which included BRAND NEW upper shock mounts, So there's no way that they are what's squeeking. I beleive it has something to do with the steering rack.

JBS02
01-12-2004, 06:38 PM
I too think it has something to do with the steering rack. That's what they're finding out in the UK with some 2002 Type-Rs. In one attempt by my dealership to repair the creak that I have previously described, they replaced the left front strut with a brand new one. It didn't fix the creaking sound. Plus it fukked up the steering balance of the car. NEVER LET THE HONDA DEALERSHIP REPLACE JUST ONE STRUT UNDER WARRANTY; INSIST ON BOTH OR NOTHING. They put my original back on and all was well again, except for the creak. I find it hard to believe that Honda America's TechLine, which provides technical advise to dealership mechanics, is not familiar with this problem. My car is going in Thursday to begin the third diagnosis of this problem. Unfortunately, I dread leaving my car at the dealership - every microdent and scratch on my car has happened at the dealership. I feel this is the last of my problems with the Si and can't wait until it is fixed so that I can get on with my moding. BTW, unless your dealership service is supercool, they won't touch your car with any mods.

02SilverSiHB
01-12-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by william
I disagree with the worn out parts being the casue of the problem. I too thought that at first, but then I realized that the creeking started about 1 week after I installed my BRAND NEW mugen suspension, which included BRAND NEW upper shock mounts, So there's no way that they are what's squeeking. I beleive it has something to do with the steering rack.
there are various creaks people are getting, people tried to say my creak from my vid was that...it wasn't it was my konis that creak is gone.

Ep3_kid
01-13-2004, 02:15 PM
guys, but if the wuestions im gonna ask has already been covered, im sorry. i dont have time to read the whole thread because im at school. here i am at the automotive class and i just installed my h&r springs, everything was fine in the installation i didnt have too many problems, but now, while im parked and i turn the wheel to the right and ti the left, i hear some annoying noices, like the spring moving around or whatever, and i just test drove it, and the ride seems to be fine, but those noice are killing me. even when i accelerate and stop, the car doesn't make any noice, just when i turn the wheel while parked or driving.... what the hell is it???????:mad: :mad:

javi2002whitesi
01-13-2004, 04:13 PM
02silversi you summed it up pretty good what the hell is that noise man its killing me.:( anyways i have a set of sportlines in my garage which arent as extreme a drop as my neuspeeds maybe i should put those on so that damn noise will go away...the only thing is i love the look of my neuspeeds:'( i got them cuz the drop of my old sportlines just left me wanting a lil more.well this is what i have been able to track the noise to, it happens when stopping and going in normal traffic,also when i go real slow over a speed bump,if i turn the wheel slowly when im going straight it makes that creaky door opening sound and i can feel some sort of friction on my steering wheel.that part scares me (makes me feel like im fucking something up in my car)other than that i think i can live with the noise ill just turn the radio up, i just dont want this to cause a more serious problem in the future.
well any help is welcome that damn creak is annoyin as hell.

Ep3_kid
01-13-2004, 04:30 PM
i need help, please

javi2002whitesi
01-14-2004, 09:59 PM
my noise just keeps gettin worse i hear it all the time now.:'( im gonna have my sportlines installed on saturday. hopefully that will help it. I just hope i havent done any permanent damage.Well atleast i kno im not the only one with this stupid problem.good luck to the rest of you guys, hopefully we will find a solution soon to this annoying noise.

EP33
01-14-2004, 10:58 PM
My car makes noise when I turn the steering wheel too. Sounds like it's toward the right side of the firewall. Anyways I have Sportlines.

02SilverSiHB
01-15-2004, 05:28 AM
javi2002whitesi when and if you install the sportlines, check out those parts I mentioned above in the pic. Just so you know...EP33 has the sportlines, and is getting this sound. One thing EP33 and I have in common, is we've traded out a lot of springs :D

Ep3_kid I helped a friend install his H&R and he had some sounds he complained about while parked, or even while turning at slow speeds. It ended up being his dust cover/bump stop piece up front was pushed all the way up and was rubbing up under the top of the suspension....so jack the car up, and if you can, try and squeaks a few fingers through the springs and pull the dust cover down, then put some grease on the top of it, that should work...if it works, but comes back again, you're going to need to trim it down.

The part I talk about is number 8 in this pic

EP33, did you ever get a chance to see if it was the konis inserts movig a tad? I fixed mine without getting new struts. I just cranked down on that bolt under the strut to get it tight, but I also had taken them out first and lube the ever hell out of them :D works so far..the only sound I get is while driving, and if I stop or push the gas enough to shift the weight of the car, I get the creak sound when I turn the wheel just a bit, it's not the konis though, I can tell it's the top part of the suspension...which when I reinstalled the struts, I had noticed those parts where pretty worn out, I'm sure that's not your case, as you said you replaced those...inserts?
Oh, the parts that are fucked up on mine and need replacing are number 7 and 9:

EP33
01-15-2004, 06:13 AM
:o I have not taken my car apart yet to check those insert bolts. Maybe this weekend (five days off).

I did replace part#9 on the diagram above, but not #7.

One other thing that I am going to check that is for sure going to be a bitch, are the bolts than hold the steering rack to the firewall (#s 15 & 17 on the diagram) If they are loose, I'll try to use some blue loctite on them. I had my son turn the steering wheel lock to lock while I was looking under the hood. The steering rack wiggled around in its "mount". I don't think that should be happening.

Still sucks we're doing all of this R&D for Honda though. I am going to send them an invoice for me time, blood, sweat, and :'(

glw
01-15-2004, 07:11 AM
i have sportlines and my squeaking is gone now.

the cause was either the lack of grease at the top of the dust boot (#8) and around the damper shaft (#5) or that the dust boot was too tall - i had to cut about an inch off from around the bottom. i did both at the same time so i don't know which was the solution.

i also had a creak that was solved by tightening the nut a the top of the shock (#14).

for now i'm noise free!

javi2002whitesi
01-15-2004, 12:47 PM
well im gonna have my car looked at on saturday plus an alignment done over at a local shop called miami chassis which ive heard nothing but good things about. maybe its something small im gonna have him check my neuspeeds first cuz i prefer them over the sporlines anyway. So you guys dont think the springs are the cause because of the extreme drop?It looks to be like it might be something else if guys are experiencing this also with stock and eibach springs.just to clear things up who are the people experiencing the creak from behind the steering wheel not the squeaks or anything else i only have the creak. That way if anyone has solved this problem they can give me more specific advise to pass on to the shop guys on saturday.

anyways thanks for all the help guys
i dunno wut i would do withou ephatch
lol id probably pay more attention to my wife..lol

SiRman
01-15-2004, 09:31 PM
The steering rack wiggled around in its "mount". I don't think that should be happening.

Noticed mine does the same thing, have you shown it to Honda yet?

RiCeCoOkEr1280
01-27-2004, 06:42 AM
I had to bring this thread back to life... I am getting these "creaking" sounds now... I am dropped on H&R's for about 20k and have 23,500 as of right now... It happens like many people have stated: when i'm coming to a stop... I haven't tried turning the wheel when it happens cuz I try to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from... I DO know that it usually happens after driving a bit... I'm gonna try jackin up the car and adjusting the dust cover thingy in the front, BUT I think it's coming from the REAR too... I read this 10 page thread and I hope it's not the steering column... It's gonna be a bitch to put the stock springs back on cuz I'm just tired of workin on cars...

ALSO, I downloaded the mpeg but can't play it... Can you guys please help out? Thanks.

Paul

sleepin02si
01-27-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by RiCeCoOkEr1280
It's gonna be a bitch to put the stock springs back on cuz I'm just tired of workin on cars...
Thanks.

Paul
I just put my car back to stock springs with brand new struts. I still have the creaking sounds. I believe that the sound comes from taking apart the cap to the struts. Nothing ever goes back to factory status once it is taken apart. The good news is that the sounds are MUCH LESS frequent, and are not nearly as loud. The noise I was getting in the steering wheel, I believe to be damage sustained to the joint pictured earier in the thread that connects the tie rod to the steering coloumn.

RiCeCoOkEr1280
01-27-2004, 07:48 PM
Yeah, I noticed I get a "knockin'" sound when i turn the steering wheel... I'm gonna grease it up tomorrow and try the sleeve thingy too... If it does continue to make noise, what's the long term damage if any? Will it help any if I get that Mugen suspension? Thanks for all the help fellas.

Paul

william
01-28-2004, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I noticed I get a "knockin'" sound when i turn the steering wheel... I'm gonna grease it up tomorrow and try the sleeve thingy too... If it does continue to make noise, what's the long term damage if any? Will it help any if I get that Mugen suspension? Thanks for all the help fellas.

Paul

My squeeking satarted 200km AFTER, I intalled the mugen suspension. So it probably wont help your current squeeking problem. Also my car didnt squeek one bit before I intalled the mugens.

RiCeCoOkEr1280
01-29-2004, 06:10 AM
Thanks william that helps ALOT.... saves me $1k....

EKON
01-29-2004, 07:10 AM
IIIIIIIITTs BAAAAAAAAAAAAACCKK!

After 2 months of no noise, and 2 days ago it came back. I don't understand it. I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow, and go in next week. The only problem is that I have to take my 17" wheels, strut and tie bars off.

Fucking Creaking Noise:mad: :mad: :mad:

EKON

RiCeCoOkEr1280
01-29-2004, 08:26 AM
fuck... so what's the long term damage if this isn't corrected?

Peking
01-29-2004, 04:15 PM
fuck... so what's the long term damage if this isn't corrected?

Only some markes on the part where the struts meet the frame. Get someone to turn your wheel and you will see it move. I was told by someone who has been in this and has been tuning rides for along time now and told me that will not hurt anything. Will just be getting on your nerves.

Paul

Take of the fronts off. Then on the plate wear it swivels. Put more greese where you find the OEM stuff. This cured 95% of my knocking/popping when turning. Much better than it was before.

Jon

RiCeCoOkEr1280
01-29-2004, 06:21 PM
Wow thanks i'll try that jon... when i get back from snowboarding on monday.... :D

Peking
01-29-2004, 09:21 PM
Wow thanks i'll try that jon... when i get back from snowboarding on monday.... :D

LOL, have fun and be safe. Also someone might disagree with me here. But also when putting the springs back on, compress the springs as much as you can. And tighten the bolt that keeps it together, so when the springs settle back to normal it will fit snug with no room to move under light load. Which could also cause a sound.

Also I found this a few pages back...

I had a bad creaking sound before, it was my koni inserts...but I also had another creak on top of that sound that was a bit different and happened just as I explained. When I fixed my koni inserts to stop creaking, I had noticed some other problems with my suspension.

The top mounts that are on the suspension were worn down pretty good. One o ring was worn bad and had actually cause it to rubinto the metal cap that holds the rubber...which goes right on top of the spring. I didn't have replacement parts, but I knew it would come back eventually...which it did. I still have the sound. I had used tons of grease and lube and it was gone for about a week, then I could start to notice it once and a while.

I'm not to sure what caused this problem, but I know if I want the sound to go away, I'm going to have to buy new parts.
to get a good idea of what I'm talking about, item number 9 was worn down real bad, probably causing item 10/11 to rub it's bottom area against the top area of item 7.
So now, when weight is transfered back and forth...from accel/stopping, etc. it makes this sound we get.
Hope that helps

All that on the left is what I was talking about. You can find the oem greese all in where 2,7,9,14.

glw
01-29-2004, 09:47 PM

tighten nut #14 and grease the top of #8. both are very easy to do...

nut = open hood and wrench it holding shaft of #5/6 with allen wrench.

grease = jack up the car, reach above the wheel to pull down the boot, grease the top using your fingers, push boot up, unjack the car, and do the other side the same way.

ps: i also had to shorten #8 by trimming about an inch of the bottom with scissors. you might want to try it, too.

Peking
01-29-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by glw

tighten nut #14 and grease the top of #8. both are very easy to do...

nut = open hood and wrench it holding shaft of #5/6 with allen wrench.

grease = jack up the car, reach above the wheel to pull down the boot, grease the top using your fingers, push boot up, unjack the car, and do the other side the same way.

ps: i also had to shorten #8 by trimming about an inch of the bottom with scissors. you might want to try it, too.

That didn't fix it for me 100%, slightly helped though. Also Cutting a piece of the dust boot, would it still cover the strut enough from crap that could eventually ruin the seals in the strut? Can you take a pic of yours?

RiCeCoOkEr1280
01-29-2004, 09:55 PM
man you guys are very helpful... glad to know i can count on my ephatch brotha's... one more thing: it sounds like i'm also getting a sound from behind the motor... probably at the tie bar in that pic on previous posts... should i grease that too? thats where the noise is coming from...

Peking
01-29-2004, 10:05 PM
man you guys are very helpful... glad to know i can count on my ephatch brotha's... one more thing: it sounds like i'm also getting a sound from behind the motor... probably at the tie bar in that pic on previous posts... should i grease that too? thats where the noise is coming from...

Tie bar? is that the same as the tire rod locator, that helps balance out the toe of the tire?

pappaljf
01-29-2004, 10:08 PM
JBS02, and anyone with the same problem:

Let's get our problem straight, because I KNOW you and I have the exact same set of symptoms:

Creak started ~25k miles

Creak is really best illustrated driving STRAIGHT.

Creak isn't noticeable when you start up but after you warm the car up it happens everytime you move from a stop.

If you STAB the throttle, you can really make the creaking noise loud!

Anyway, Do you have an update? The last time I went to the dealer, they just did some TSB for suspension, but it didn't do ANYTHING...I'm pretty sure they just lubed something (besides me).

Anyway, I want to keep your part of this thread going, because I have the EXACT same problem and honda doesn't seem able to fix it!

javi2002whitesi
01-29-2004, 11:34 PM
so to tighten nut 14 do u need to jack the car up in order to hold 5/6 with an allen wrench?is there a certain torque setting we should tighten it too?anyways i got my alignment redone but i decided to stay with my neuspeeds. Well when i got to the shop my car decided not to make the stupid noise so the guy basically had no idea what i was talking about. but the noises are coming back it seems to be worse on cooler days.this damn noise is bumming me out because its my cars only problem other than that i love my car.
anyways im gonna give glw's advice a shot hopefully it will work.

glw
01-30-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Peking
That didn't fix it for me 100%, slightly helped though. Also Cutting a piece of the dust boot, would it still cover the strut enough from crap that could eventually ruin the seals in the strut? Can you take a pic of yours? it covers fine due to the lowering springs, maybe it won't at full extension... but i don't jump my car much! :D

a pic would only show it at full extension, so it wouldn't be very realistic, imho.

glw
01-30-2004, 12:12 AM
so to tighten nut 14 do u need to jack the car up in order to hold 5/6 with an allen wrench?is there a certain torque setting we should tighten it too?anyways i got my alignment redone but i decided to stay with my neuspeeds. Well when i got to the shop my car decided not to make the stupid noise so the guy basically had no idea what i was talking about. but the noises are coming back it seems to be worse on cooler days.this damn noise is bumming me out because its my cars only problem other than that i love my car.
anyways im gonna give glw's advice a shot hopefully it will work. i tighened mine as much as my two hands could against one another (one holding the allen wrench and the other holding the open end wrench) while it was on the ground.

team ERA 5
01-30-2004, 12:15 AM
mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn ive given up! im getting use to that sound!!! haha...ive had it around 18k now im at 26xxx...its freaking annoying..!!!!!!! i wonder what the long term damage is???

ps. when i jack up my car to the stock height the sound disappears...i might put back my stock stuff before my warrenty expires and start bitchin' :D for a new steering rack!

RiCeCoOkEr1280
01-30-2004, 06:11 AM
OOPS my fault... I meant TIE ROD :D

Peking
01-30-2004, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by glw
it covers fine due to the lowering springs, maybe it won't at full extension... but i don't jump my car much! :D

a pic would only show it at full extension, so it wouldn't be very realistic, imho.

Yeah your right, sorry posted that late last night :D

JBS02
01-31-2004, 08:25 PM
pappaljf,
New tie rod ends and steering rack have arrived at dealership. I need to schedule an appointment. The service dept. will first try the tie rod ends, and if that doesn't work will, do the rack. Essentially they will be giving me new tie rods ends because I'm pretty sure it's the rack that's at fault.

However, unless HONDA has re-engineered this part, the creak will probably come back after another 24K miles. That would totally suck. Hopefully, I will never hear this dreaded creak again. I love to listen to the smooth K20A3 without any foreign sounds interrupting the engine music.

Since it took me three service appointments to get this far, you will undoubtably have to go through a similar torture if you want your problem resolved. Have your dealership call HONDA Techline for guidance on this problem. Goodluck.

pappaljf
02-01-2004, 07:11 PM
Cool, the next time I bring it in I will tell them to check Tie Rods and the Steering Rack....The problem with all the dealerships around here, and I think the problem in general, is that unless something is overtly "Broken," you have to twist arms at the stealership to get people to try to help you out.

EKON
02-03-2004, 07:57 AM
Well my rubbing/creaking noise is gone again, but I did this time. I sprayed wd40 on the 2 rubber pieces on the bar that goes to each strut, and in about 2 days it was gone. Sorry I don't have a pic of where I sprayed.:(

pappaljf
02-13-2004, 07:44 PM
Update:

Dealer is replacing the Driver's Side Front Shock/Strut Assembly on Tuesday. According to the Honda Techline, that's the problem. I believe I have a SEPERATE noise coming from behind the steering rack.

Like everone says, the best way to make it act up is to sort of "shake" the wheel from left to right a little bit while moving.

Anyway, I'll keep everyone updated!

greenguy
02-14-2004, 04:59 PM
Update:

I believe I have a SEPERATE noise coming from behind the steering rack.

Like everone says, the best way to make it act up is to sort of "shake" the wheel from left to right a little bit while moving.

Anyway, I'll keep everyone updated!
I believe you! I have the same sound only it doesnt happen all the time.
Does it sound like rubber rubbing when the wheel is turned from side to side mabley 1/8 of a turn? sorta like tires rubbing concrete when you turn your stearing wheel lock to lock?
thanks!

JBS02
02-14-2004, 07:14 PM
CREAK FIXED!!! It was the steering rack all along. Many thanks to the guys at civictype-R.com who tipped me off about the "creaking coffin lid sound upon starting or stopping". I printed out their thread and gave copies to the service director who in turn showed it to the Honda regional service manager. If it wasn't for the research and persistance on my part, they'd still be fukking around. BTW, Honda's TechLine, whose purpose is to assist dealership service technicians with new problems, had no clue on this one. How hard would it had been for them to contact HONDA UK? Same company; same language. Go figure.

Also, the dealership tried numerous, seemingly unrelated attempts to fix the creak like replacing the front left strut. They tried that on mine and not only did it totally upset the steering balance of the car, it didn't fix the creak. Within seconds after driving the car I could tell that the steering balance was totally screwed up. Think about it - a brand new stiff left strut and a 24,000 mile old right strut don't match. STRUTS SHOULD BE REPLACED IN PAIRS. I immediately demanded that they put it back the way it was and all was well again, except for the creak. DO NOT LET THE DEALERSHIP REPLACE ONLY ONE FRONT STRUT ASSEMBLY!!! You will be sorry.

Also, Honda paid for my rental, but only after I brought it up.

Side note: While inspecting the steering rack fix, I discovered that the tech had broken a clip on the underhood fuse box. He was too much in a hurry to remove the battery to give him room to remove the air box. I don't blame him. Honda allots a certain time to do a repair. If the tech can complete job in less time, he still gets paid for the alloted time. This only promotes poor service. I now have to take my car back and fight for a new fuse box. Will it never end?

Sorry for the long rant. Go get your steering racks.

pappaljf
02-14-2004, 10:46 PM
JBS02

You've been the most helpful person to me in this long post, because you seem to have the identical problem that I do. I can't seem to pin down the noise. It MAY be the shock/strut, I don't know. For some reason, the dealer decided to replace my passenger side shock/strut about 5000 miles ago...
that side was making a squeaky noise, but only when going over BUMPS. It wasn't related to the

"CREAKING COFFIN"

Anyway, the current situation is that I am going in on tuesday to get the DRIVERS Shock/Strut replaced. They believe that this is the cause of the creaky coffin noise I hear. I SWEAR the noise is coming from there.

However, I recently discovered that under light acceleration, if I slightly twist my steering wheel left to right 10 degrees in either direction, I get the dreaded creaking noise CONSTANTLY. I'm really excited about demo-ing this for my dealer because I believe it to be a seperate issue. I could be wrong, and the shock/strut may not be bad at all.

Anyway, I'm interested in your opinion. Could both my steering rack AND my driver side front suspension be causing the god-awful noises? Did your research on Civic-Type-R.Co.uk turn up any more info? You seem so adamant about NOT replacing the suspension, I feel compelled to get more info from you before I bring my heap in.

Anyway, thanks!

greenguy
02-15-2004, 10:17 AM
CREAK FIXED!!! It was the steering rack all along. Many thanks to the guys at civictype-R.com who tipped me off about the "creaking coffin lid sound upon starting or stopping". I printed out their thread and gave copies to the service director who in turn showed it to the Honda regional service manager.
could you please post your findings here so we can take this up with Honda and get it fixed. thanks!:)

JBS02
02-15-2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by greenguy
could you please post your findings here so we can take this up with Honda and get it fixed. thanks!:)

Greenguy,
All of my findings have been posted here regarding the "coffin creaking" sound. This problem is well known in the UK where some CTRs have been plagued with it. One sure fix has been a new steering rack - that's what worked for my car (for now).

With the USDM EP3 there have been other front end noises related to the front struts. One strut noise was said to be heard when traveling over rough roads. I believe a TSB was issued for that and the fix entailed retorquing the front strut bolts to factory spec - it seems they were not tightened properly when the car was built. Others reported another strut noise problem upon turning the steering wheel - my car has that noise at one time but it has quieted. Before the dealership replaced my steering rack, they also tried new tie rod ends which didn't fix the creak. They also installed some kind of spring silencer shims in the front left strut, but I assume those didn't fix the creak since they went ahead and replaced the steering rack.

Pappa,
Since there are a number of different front end noises, I say go ahead with the dealership or TechLine recommendations. You really have no choice since they call the shots. As far as mixing old vs. new struts, I would try contacting the Honda regional service manager and find out what Honda's policy is on that matter. These regional managers come to the dealerships once per month. Funny, when your car is out of warranty the dealership will insist that you replace both struts when one is bad. But while the car is in warranty, they say that Honda will only replace the bad one. UNLESS YOUR STRUTS ARE FAIRLY NEW, IT IS BEST TO REPLACE BOTH WHEN ONE IS BAD OR YOUR FRONT END HANDLING BALANCE MAY SUFFER. If HONDA refuses to replace both struts, bear in mind that the fronts run about $250 apiece. Finally, I suspect that the creak will reoccur with my car in another 24,000 miles- that has been my experience with HONDA defects.

SONIC SI
02-15-2004, 08:31 PM
No creaking yet. I will cross my fingers that they fixed the problem on the 2004's.

valley _boy
02-16-2004, 12:20 AM
fuck!! my 03 si has only 10,180 miles and i started to hear the creakin noice when i steer the wheel to the left and right under 5-10mph. i will take my car in tom to get it inspected, but im rollin on tein s-techs w/stock shocks. fuckin si! i should've bought a fuckin rsx or something..

Civicvtec1ps
02-16-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by valley _boy
fuck!! my 03 si has only 10,180 miles and i started to hear the creakin noice when i steer the wheel to the left and right under 5-10mph. i will take my car in tom to get it inspected, but im rollin on tein s-techs w/stock shocks. fuckin si! i should've bought a fuckin rsx or something..
Uh, Doesn't matter if you drive rsx or si.
When you lower car with lowering springs on stock shocks.
Creaking sound will occur any time.

valley _boy
02-16-2004, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Civicvtec1ps
Uh, Doesn't matter if you drive rsx or si.
When you lower car with lowering springs on stock shocks.
Creaking sound will occur any time.

uh, i dont believe thats true, cuz my 97 mazda protege lowered on intrax springs w/stock shocks for about 3yrs now is running perferctly fine. i dont hear jack shit when i steer the wheel. no creaking sound whatsoever...

pappaljf
02-20-2004, 11:00 AM
UPDATE

NELSON HONDA in El Monte, CA is fixing my car!!!

They have already replaced the front drivers shock/strut...same creaking noise after the repair.

They have now ordered $1300 worth of parts, including a new STEERING RACK!!

I am pumped...these guys do not play around, unike Honda of Pasadena and Sierra honda

Anyway, I'll keep everyone updated. My creak is about to go BYE BYE!

FCobra94
02-29-2004, 12:05 PM
Good thread! I've been thinking of lowering my EP for a while now, but things like this just keeps me shying away from it :o

Any updates w/ your car pappaljf?

Thanks!

pappaljf
02-29-2004, 12:16 PM
Yes, I just picked up the car yesterday, and it is WORKING! No more noise!

They replaced:

S/ABS ASS 7051378
Bush Set 7392574
Box Assy 7054984
Fluid, P. 3747284

Apparently ~2000 bucks worth of parts and labor to make the creak go away.

They didn't know what the noise was. They thought it was body flex, maybe a nut not properly torqued somewhere.

They basically replaced my entire steering rack.

They unplugged the power steering, and test drove my car, and noticed that the noise was gone. I suggest if anyone has the creak and the dealer says that they can't figure it out

*Tell them to unplug the power steering and then test drive The Creaking Noise only occurs when the power steering is powered up! *

It worked for me. Also, the Honda Tech-Line apparently knew a little about this problem, so hopefully it will be easier to fix for other people.

02SilverSiHB
02-29-2004, 05:20 PM
Yes, I just picked up the car yesterday, and it is WORKING! No more noise!

They replaced:

S/ABS ASS 7051378
Bush Set 7392574
Box Assy 7054984
Fluid, P. 3747284

Apparently ~2000 bucks worth of parts and labor to make the creak go away.

They didn't know what the noise was. They thought it was body flex, maybe a nut not properly torqued somewhere.

They basically replaced my entire steering rack.

They unplugged the power steering, and test drove my car, and noticed that the noise was gone. I suggest if anyone has the creak and the dealer says that they can't figure it out

*Tell them to unplug the power steering and then test drive The Creaking Noise only occurs when the power steering is powered up! *

It worked for me. Also, the Honda Tech-Line apparently knew a little about this problem, so hopefully it will be easier to fix for other people.
I need to find out how to disconnect the power steering :o

BlasTech
02-29-2004, 05:30 PM
Hit up conecrazy02, he knows.... he was thinking of turning his EPS back on.

02SilverSiHB
02-29-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech
Hit up conecrazy02, he knows.... he was thinking of turning his EPS back on.
groovy!

cease
02-29-2004, 07:29 PM
UPDATE

NELSON HONDA in El Monte, CA is fixing my car!!!

They have already replaced the front drivers shock/strut...same creaking noise after the repair.

They have now ordered $1300 worth of parts, including a new STEERING RACK!!

I am pumped...these guys do not play around, unike Honda of Pasadena and Sierra honda

Anyway, I'll keep everyone updated. My creak is about to go BYE BYE!

hey bro what did honda of pasadena tell you. i bought my ride their and im thinking of taking it back to fix the very same problem.

pappaljf
02-29-2004, 07:56 PM
Avoid Honda of Pasadena. Ecspecially the service manager, Gary Robbins. He is all about screwing people, 24/7. If you want to be treated like a punk kid and get absolutely no respect, go talk to him. They never fixed anything right for me. Always had to bring it in twice to bitch about things the missed. Another dealership told me motor mounts were to blame. You can't trust these people to figure anything out.

Seriously, drive to Nelson Honda in El Monte and ask for Rachael. She's the ONLY service advisor I've ever had at Honda who has actually cared about me and my car.

But, I hope I've heped. If you have creaking noises, unplug that power steering and you'll know if it's to blame! I'm not an expert on this, but is there a fuse that we could pull?

I'm going to call on monday and talk to Joe my tech, and see if I can't get a more thorough explanation of exactly what was replaced and how the discovered the rack was at fault. I know it involved the ghetto riding my car with the power steering disabled.

BTW I put about 50 hard miles on it today...no creaks, no groans, just like a new car. Steering rack was definately my problem

Hope this helps, and I'm glad to be reviving this thread, as I really think this is a problem that a lot of EP3 owners will have over the next few years...

carbonSI
03-03-2004, 01:12 AM
allright, ive just got done readin page upon page of this problem i had no clue everyone else was having!

i had just taken my car in for the 30k check up, and i told them about the "coffin effect" my car was makin for a while now. and after they had done their normal check up, i seen the tech drive my car from the garage, to the waiting area, and drive back. they told me "its because of your springs" i was like wow... i think its more complex than that. and now i know it is.

im gonna try and tighten,loob, ect my car on my own terms when its a lil warmer. and if that fails, hopefully the power steering trick would work. im guessin that works because it proves its not the spring making the noises?

anyways, im disgusted with the sound, everyone notices it, and latley its to the point where i think my cars about to bust down ford style.
hope to find an answer soon, im goin crazy driving a NEW bucket! help -mike

toda_power
03-03-2004, 10:30 PM
shit, i'm having the same problem..i took my car in to woodland hills honda to inspect the steering rack..the guy said i have to put my stock springs back in order to see where the noise is coming from. i told em about this site and he said to call him back in 2days. i guess he's gonna look into it more....

benmunger
03-10-2004, 05:20 PM
The creaking sound comes from the stearing rack/arms. Have some one go in to the car, and mimic the noise (by shaking the stearing wheel, not with their mouth.) Once the noise starts to happen place your finger on the stearing arm near the stearing rack. Push down on it just a bit. The noise will go away. My car is not lowered and it makes this noise. This is a defect that comes with the car. Not just from being lowered. However, lowering the car may make it happen earlier. Report your EP3s defect to your local dealer. I trust in honda and believe that if they here from enough of us they will fix it.

There is a second noise that some times happens if the spring is not installed straight. A third noise that comes from the piston shaking in the strut hat if its not tightend properly. And there is a fourth noise that comes from the dust boot rubbing on the shock.
These 4 sound are independent from each other and It should be clear to everyone what noise they are talking about before trying to solve it. The only one that does not have a home remedy yet is the stearing rack sound.... hope someone (honda) can figure it out soon.

ac22
03-16-2004, 04:09 PM
i wish the mods would sticky these threads. it is so important to keep all of these startments on file.

mods. please sticky these threads. it will benifit all members greatly. or start a service issues/defects section on the board.

YooShin
03-16-2004, 11:07 PM
Yep. Got the creek. Started about 500 or so miles ago when I hit 18K. Not loud yet. I can only hear it when I really listen for it, with windows down and it's only when I'm barely crawling and turning sharp. Oh, well, another POS for the books.

surfsi2
03-17-2004, 07:56 PM
Mine has done it for a while and I thought it was because I lowered it. I will print each page of this post and use it as fuel!
Someone make this a sticky for future problem goers.

02SilverSiHB
03-17-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by surfsi2
Mine has done it for a while and I thought it was because I lowered it. I will print each page of this post and use it as fuel!
Someone make this a sticky for future problem goers.
you might need to pm jaydub...he's the mod now.

I have the coffin sound, but I know what it is...I had forgot to regrease the bearing when I installed the new ones...

jaydub
03-17-2004, 11:00 PM
stuck! :)

I know I'm jinxing myself here, but I was fooling around with my car the other day and was changing my air filter on my CAI. Anyhow, I just started poking around in the suspension area, and I noticed that there was a small gap between where the spring sat and where it was supposed to sit (against the strut... hard to explain really). Anyhow, I fooled around with the spring and moved it in a circular motion... and my squeak hasn't been around for a week now.

I am guessing it'll return eventually, but I'm beginning to wonder if we aren't looking the wrong direction.

03HaTcHSi
03-20-2004, 03:26 AM
i just got a problem today when i turn my wheel a screaching noise is being heard i dont know if somethings loose or is it bcuz my car is lowered does anyone know what it could be?

HokieSi
03-20-2004, 06:42 AM
I've got the popping noise when my car is first moved. Also, when I go around a turn and hit a bump at slow speeds my front passenger strut assy is making noises. What can this noise be attributed to?

dofu
03-20-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by 03HaTcHSi
i just got a problem today when i turn my wheel a screaching noise is being heard i dont know if somethings loose or is it bcuz my car is lowered does anyone know what it could be?

not sure if its the same sound im thinkin of when i read your post, but... power steering? older cars' power steering will make a screaching noise when you turn the wheel while the car isn't moving

toda_power
03-24-2004, 09:37 AM
its the steering rack. i hear it once in awhile..i just ignore it, cuz u cant really do much since ur car is lowered thats why imma get rid of my springs and get some mugen sport suspension or flex.

02SilverSiHB
03-24-2004, 03:38 PM
Well I guess I give the fuck up, because I can't get rid of mine anymore. Fucking a. I replaced the entire top part of the suspension and lubed the living hell out of it. The sound is still there.

It only and I mean only, happens in 2 kinds of ways:

1. If I'm accelerating...even at a slow pace like in 5th going 40 and push on the gas a tad...I get the creak sound if I turn the wheel back and forth slightly, the creak is there.

But then when I let go of the gas, the creak will not happen.

2. If I'm pushing the brake a tad and turn the wheel a little back and forth, it makes the creak, but stops when I let off the brake. It also goes nuts while braking and going over bumps.

This to me almost sounds like a motor mount??? anyone agree?

jaydub
03-24-2004, 03:55 PM
yup, same symptoms I had. Mine went away on its own, but I know it's the steering rack.

oompaloompab0i
03-25-2004, 01:02 AM
i got em too! i thought i had installed my springs wrong cuz my friend (with an ex) said that you have to align the strut(?) to match the arrows(?)i dont know about that. all i know is that when i go over like a bump or turn at a slow speed i hear creaking noises. also when like im going on this curvy road at 60 mph, i hear like a ticking or clicking like my tie rod or something is hitting something on my right wheel. what is that?

02SilverSiHB
04-04-2004, 06:30 PM
My creaking sound has been gone for a little over a week now..not sure why, maybe the lube I used worked, just took a while

stimpGSX
04-06-2004, 08:14 AM
I dropped my car 5 days ago on neuspeed race springs and the popping noises began as soon as I began to drive it. My friend who has the same springs doesnt have this problem( i dont get it????) . I do think it has something to do with the upper strut assembly. Im going to take it apart and grease the rubber parts and like everyone here hope for the best.

Peking
04-06-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by stimpGSX
I dropped my car 5 days ago on neuspeed race springs and the popping noises began as soon as I began to drive it. My friend who has the same springs doesnt have this problem( i dont get it????) . I do think it has something to do with the upper strut assembly. Im going to take it apart and grease the rubber parts and like everyone here hope for the best.

Yeah, greese where the OEM used to be :)

02SilverSiHB
04-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by stimpGSX
I had that problem the first time I ever installed springs on this car...is it a boing sound? like a deep guitar :D

I was lazy and just jacked the car up high enough to where I could reach in there in the front suspension and kept turning the spring around and around and around, then tested it out, never came back.

stimpGSX
04-07-2004, 05:57 AM
Im going to try everything today after work. ill turn them, grease them and hope it stops. I just read the whole sticky and my car is making every noise mentioned. it makes a noice when stopping, accelerating and turning the steering wheel. i had my friend turn the wheel form me and if i put my hand on the top of the strut i feel knocking there so im sure it is that. I just hate having to do this just because of a drop. I never had this problem on my old eclipse. It makes me feel like im driving a clunker. This sux!!

David L.
04-08-2004, 04:53 PM
My car does all the same stuff. I am pissed off that there is no fix for it yet. If there was a fix then it would be done by now. I think that this problem was realized and could not be fixed so therefor the revised suspention in the 04.

Changomo
04-09-2004, 07:22 PM
First of all my Car is bone stock, doesn't even have a single sticker - I have the same problem that has been posted in this thread by many others.

1) During brisk acceleration or breaking, I get a knocking noise (can be felt though the steering wheel and stick shift) Feels like the engine is not mounted tight and/or the suspension is cracked/damaged.

2) Happens more often during cold starts (morning) goes away on the freeway or high speeds.

Thank you all the posts. It sort of makes me feel better that this is a common problem that can be fixed with a "revised" steering rack replacement; for those people that have expired warrenties - try it anyway, if they refuse - at least I think it's more of a big annoyance then any serious damage or detriment to performance.(easy for me 2 say w/ my warrenty though)

It seems that everybody is pretty much saying it is the steering rack, I'm going to take my car to Redwood City, CA Honda tommorow. I'll let you folks know what happens.

Cheers

Peking
04-10-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by DeadMonkey
You need to make sure that everything is indexed properly. The damper mounting base and the upper spring seat are designed to fit correctly only in one configuration. The main noises that I've had to diagnose are as follows:

Metal on metal clanking noise: Spring coil isolators are either absent or not placed properly. You can take the stock isolators off of the stock springs and place them on the new springs in the same placement. Also, adjust the tubing that comes on the H&R sport springs to the place where the dead coils open up into the active coils. These do not necessarily come from the factory in the correct place, so adjustment may be necessary. The dead coils are the coils on the spring that are closer together and are designed to collapse at load. They essentially act like a spacer when the suspension is uncompressed and keep everything in place. When the springs are installed, these coils touch each other and the last set of dead coils can hit on the first set of active coils if the isolator isn't placed properly, making the metal on metal noise.

Loud popping noises when turning: I've posted on this one a number of times. This is caused when the bolt at the top of the strut is overtorqued, causing the strut bearing to bind. (This is most typical when the installer uses airtools. You NEVER want to use airtools when installing the suspension. Always use a torque wrench and hand torque the bolts to the factory specs.) The strut bearing is what allows the spring and strut assembly to turn as one unit when you move the steering wheel of the car. If that strut bearing is bound, it will not allow the spring to turn with the strut and put a tremendous amout of twisting force on the spring. The popping noise that you hear is the spring releasing and popping back into place. Many people have said to use lube to fix this issue, but that is strictly a band aid to cover up the problem. You'll get rid of the noise temporarily, but the undelying problem is still there until everything is loosened and then retorqued to factory specs.

Finally, while not necessarily as much of a noise related issue, You have to note that you absolutely DO NOT TRIM YOUR BUMPSTOPS with these springs. A lot of people do this out of habit. A lot of people believe that the bumpstop is just a slug that prevents the shock body from contacting the chassis when the suspension bottoms out. This is absolutely not the case. The bumpstop is a foamy progressive spring and is a working part of the suspension. Believe it or not, on the Hondas and Acuras, the bumpstop is engaged even at normal ride height. It adds rate to the suspension of the vehicle and WILL affect ride height if altered. Having an active bumpstop allows the designers of the car to use a softer spring and give a more complient ride, and also the bumpstop is the source of some of the progressiveness of the suspension.

I hope that helps clear up some of the questions that people have been having. Have a good one. :D

*Moderators - is it possible to get a sticky on this post? I've seen a lot of people asking these same questions and I think this will help with a lot of the confusion. Thanks.

benmunger
04-23-2004, 03:48 PM
honda just finished installing my new stearing rack. A++++ for RICK CASE HONDA.

Now all i have to do is figure out how to get off Rick Cases painted on pin stripes.

carbonSI
04-23-2004, 04:49 PM
whats up people, well, its been gettin a little warmer outside latley, and ive always noticed when its warm, my car drives/rides perfect, like its supposed to,then if theres even a cool breeze outside, it creaks. But if, while its warm, and happens on more than one occasion, im gonna go explain the power steering problem, and im pretty sure they have no choice but to give me what i rightfully deserve... a car with no phuckin coffin sounds haha anyways, ill be around -mike

DuBaBa
04-26-2004, 02:14 AM
very imformative stuff you guys...i to have a creaking sound when i turn my steering wheel to the left but there is no sound when i turn it to the right. I am on tein s-tech lowering springs. ANY OTHER PEOPLE HAVE THE SAME SPRINGS WITH THE SAME PROBLEM?

the1986
04-27-2004, 08:30 AM
I have the same problem with tein s-techs. I hate it!:mad: if i put the stock springs back in and took it ot honda, would they replace the steering rack???? this creaking noise is really starting to annoy me. I live in cali and its starting to get really hot, it seems to do it even more when its hot, for me anyways. For those of you that talked about greasing the cap on the springs, you you mean the perch or the little plasic cap on the spring itself?

-Teal

IIx 03 EP xII
05-03-2004, 07:53 AM
so is there a fix for the creaking sound yet? i just got it recently. i had my car at the dealership for a 15k checkup thing, and they said my tie rod ends were loose... so they tightened them. but then i had to take it to another shop to have a problem w/ my koni's fixed, which they did fix. but the shop owner who did the work said that my ball joints were cracked slightly? what are ball joints? he said its no big deal, its just a pain to replace them?? im so lost... the first picture in this thread, the one of the arm... where that bolt is, he said that is the ball joint? help me out please...

zum_zum
05-09-2004, 04:09 PM
just a thought after reading this thread last night...

some people have it, some don't. my '03 is approaching the 24k mile mark and i don't hear anything. i have a stock suspension. (i do have the squeaking clutch pedal, but that's another matter).

anyways, maybe we can pin it to a build series? i mean find out of it is all-inclusive until '04 or if a revision was made mid-year '03, like the struts. i figure this could be tracked and recorded by VIN, so you could see if this happens upto a certain number. maybe the strut issue to0 ( the different diameters ). this would possibly help others.

just a thought i had...

ecsahs3
05-09-2004, 04:24 PM
i started to get that "thunk" sound on my right front after about 10 months with my Tein S.techs. Now, there is a lot of noise in the front right like something is loose. Can't figure it out though. Any suggestions?

zum_zum
05-09-2004, 05:15 PM
tie rod ends.

with the car parked and the wheels straight, grab the tire at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. now try to wiggle it on a vertical axis. if you get play, the tie rod ends are either loose or worn out.

you should also feel you play in the steering wheel at dead center, if they are worn or loose.

ViViDPeArL
05-16-2004, 10:54 PM
i have lots of noise with my H&R springs when i turn left and right moving slowly or from a dead stop...lately i've also had slight creeking noise (kinda like the ones you get from a door hinge) could it just be my springs? thinking about going to tein basic coilovers if this is just a problem with the springs. also when they installed my springs they didn't use any greese. thanks.

ecsahs3
05-16-2004, 11:03 PM
had my car in for an oil change and they checked the right suspension. turns out that the bolts got loose somewhere. they tightened it up and now its creek and thump free. yay!

cease
05-17-2004, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by ecsahs3
had my car in for an oil change and they checked the right suspension. turns out that the bolts got loose somewhere. they tightened it up and now its creek and thump free. yay!

witch bolts? my creek sound is gettin worse!

ecsahs3
05-17-2004, 11:41 AM
not certain. they just generally said the suspension. i tried retorquing the nuts in the engine compartment, but they didn't budge. i would assume it was somewhere in the strut assembly.

IIx 03 EP xII
05-21-2004, 05:23 AM
the honda dealership has tightened my tie rod ends before... and i had to have another shop tighten my bolts in the bottom of my konis before too. i think i have to have them tightened again, konis suck, im gonna complain again and see what they say... cuz imo, those bolts shouldnt fall out/get loose when they are torqued to factory specs and loc-tit'ed.

ecsahs3
05-21-2004, 06:02 AM
i dont recall where i heard this (honda-tech, k-series, or here) but a guy had these same problems and a buddy of his checked his car out and said he had to replace those bolts. they could only be used once. when i was talking to my dad the other day and brought this up (a retired aerospace engineer), cant recall word for word, but basically, some bolts have plastic in the inside.

zum_zum
05-21-2004, 06:24 AM
read the entire thread. most of the answers to the questions on the last page of questions is in there.

vipcivicsi
05-21-2004, 02:52 PM
im havin the same probs with my hatch i thought it was my coilovers but know that i see this i must check to see if it is those damn tie rods

Silver '02 Si
05-24-2004, 07:38 PM
Check this out...i've had my '02 si for 2 1/2 years, was the second buyer in my area for the first year. First problem I had was a SRS light...honda said they can't grab a code for it...then they said it was my stereo system...Blow Me a$$holes...fix it! They did...woohoo...then i got a 98 expedition and let my mother in-law drive the si for awile...well, a couple months later i go to drive the si and bam...turning right while backing i get a clunk..clunk..clunk..WTF??? Then i go to take off forward and clunk a different sound. Then i go to stop...and i depress the clutch while lightly pressing the brake and clunk again!?! I take it to the dealership around Thanksgiving of '03 for both sounds and they tell me..hahaa get this...it's your brakes rocking back and forth. It's normal, we checked and lubed everything in the front end, (struts, brake pads etc.). I was like wtf??? So i give them the benefit and take off. 10 mins. later boom...there it goes again, i'm like gawd damnit...i bought this son of a bitch for a premium (April '02). You wanna know what i did? Not a damn thing. I had like 28000 miles on it then..i know have about 45000 miles...waiting for the mutha to drop out from under the front end while i'm clipping along the freeway. By the way i never lowered or otherwise modified my ep, i got tired of waiting for things in the beginning then i didn't want to mod my car while being a pos. Well, for now i guess they win... I'm guessing my problems are more than just the rack...i'm guessing a drive axle and or some of the probs. mentioned earlier...
Sorry for the rant been awile since i posted, Roy

toda_power
05-25-2004, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by DuBaBa
very imformative stuff you guys...i to have a creaking sound when i turn my steering wheel to the left but there is no sound when i turn it to the right. I am on tein s-tech lowering springs. ANY OTHER PEOPLE HAVE THE SAME SPRINGS WITH THE SAME PROBLEM?

yes, im having the same problem. my car creaks once in awhile, but then i think i also blew my tranny mount. i'm still not sure, i have to check it tom. i had the dealership check the creaking sounds, they gave me the usual bs... UR CAR IS LOWERED! do u guys happen to know if the dealership will replace worn or blown mounts? and yeah, i have an extended warranty.

toda_power
05-25-2004, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by ecsahs3
i started to get that "thunk" sound on my right front after about 10 months with my Tein S.techs. Now, there is a lot of noise in the front right like something is loose. Can't figure it out though. Any suggestions?

haha..bro thats normal. i have the same setup. our suspension is a piece of shittt.

Slip_Angle
06-08-2004, 09:30 PM
I'm getting a noise from my right front but it's not really a squeak. It's more like the sound when breaks stick and let loose. It happens when I first start out or turn the wheel while at a stop.

Sportlines were installed approx 6 weeks ago.

Peking
06-09-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by CDN-SiR-02
I'm getting a noise from my right front but it's not really a squeak. It's more like the sound when breaks stick and let loose. It happens when I first start out or turn the wheel while at a stop.

Sportlines were installed approx 6 weeks ago.

That pretty much is the knocking/popping sound :(

Slip_Angle
06-09-2004, 07:35 PM
Thanks Peking.

We did torque it all down to factory specs. I noticed today that if I'm doing the turning the wheel test on gravel I don't get the noises..

I also didn't get them until about 1 week ago...

Still the same diagnosis Peking?

Thanks for the information!

Peking
06-09-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by CDN-SiR-02
Thanks Peking.

We did torque it all down to factory specs. I noticed today that if I'm doing the turning the wheel test on gravel I don't get the noises..

I also didn't get them until about 1 week ago...

Still the same diagnosis Peking?

Thanks for the information!

Do you mean for my popping knocking sound? Well good that you didn't get any sounds today. Hopefully that will last, I think it also has to do with lubbing the circle piece to help relieve pressure.

Slip_Angle
06-10-2004, 08:55 PM
Peking: I don't get the noise on gravel when parked and turning the wheel from side to side but I do still get it on pavement. What I meant about the "1 week" comment was that it all started about a week ago.

The noise isn't really loud..yet. I think I'm going to try pulling down the rubber piece on the strut and see if that helps.

ViViDPeArL
06-11-2004, 08:01 AM
my H&R springs had some rubber around the springs...should i take those off? seems like they do nothing...

Peking
06-11-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by ViViDPeArL
my H&R springs had some rubber around the springs...should i take those off? seems like they do nothing...

No, leave those alone. They are to help the metal from rubbing.

tony speed
06-15-2004, 09:53 AM
i also had creaking/clunking/popping in my front suspension. Last night, after some testing i realized that one of the bolts on my lower arm was loose. I tightened it and noise is gone. This probably won't help most of you, but the way how i figured it out was to place my car on a stand and then use a jack to compress the shock from the bottom of the rotor. This imitated the slow compression you get when you start rolling in first gear. Then, just feel around and epeat the test until you can find the strongest point of vibration. I detached my sway bar to make sure it wasn't coming from that and was able to narrow down the possible sources until i found it.

bluEp3
07-06-2004, 12:45 AM
Ok, here is my contribution:

Creaking sounds like it was GRINDING HARD!!! So I...

Put gobs of grease on the Upper strut assemblies, i guess upper hats or whatever you call it. Then I took some more and put it on the steering arms...whatever u call it. im wasted right now. well i took grease and put it all over the ball joint on the steering arms...by the wheels.

So now there is not even a lil creaking sound at all. I am HAPPY with my EP3 for once. Now i have to go rebalance the wheels and do alignment and im good to go.

short and sweet....or i think :)

*edit*

I have Ground Controls on stock shocks. I do not know how much of a drop i am at, but its pretty low...almost tucking ties. I have heard many of these sounds when i drove my lil bro's car. ITS NOT EVEN MY CAR AND I FIGURED WHAT WRONG WITH IT!!! So give it a try, more then likely it is missing or short on grease where the upper hats sit on the spring/cup or whatever it is. Ground control included what looked like a cup that sits under the hat. i never thought about putting more grease as i was putting the coilovers on, but it pretty much a FACT that you NEED GREASE between your UPPER HAT and SPRING/COILOVER. Thats for stock shocks...and i guess if you are using aftermarket shocks with OEM hats.

EP220HP
07-06-2004, 01:39 PM
i wanted to let you guys know know that i had this problem on another car its very annying screech coming from the front bottom of the car. i had to repair the bushings or w/e you want to call them in my struts. i guess some companies overlook the fact that they should be bigger than what is needed for any car.

Slip_Angle
07-09-2004, 09:14 PM
About 2 weeks ago the noise went away... Haven't heard it since...

PRODIUS
07-12-2004, 12:27 PM
I noticed a few weeks ago that my car was making the creaking/poping sound that everyone here are discussing. I had been driving around for the last 2 weeks without my mp3's playing to help isolate the problem.
Same symptoms as above:
-not in the cold
-only after the car has been driven around a little
-slight knocking sensation in the steering wheel
-car stopped: only when turning the wheel to the right
-most noticable with occupants in the car
-2002 SIR with 30000 KM ( 18600 miles )
-stock ride hight
This has been a GREAT thread and will really help everyone with this problem.
I will get my dealer to check it out at my next check-up in 3 weeks.
They had previously ( 1 year ago ) replaced my 2 front Struts that where leaking with no guestions asked.

Good luck to everyone!

MasterVTEC
07-13-2004, 11:53 AM
hey guys, my car has nothing done to the suspension and it makes that horrible sound! and my car also makes this weird clunk sound some times when i brake or acc. fast. It dosent do it all the time but you could deffinately hear it! I think our suspension is poorly built. I dont know my warranty is almost up so i have to go get it checked out and hopefully i dont have to pay.

while were on the subject of noises, my window half way rolled down on the freeway makes a click sound. any one else have that problem? i rolled my windown donw half way and lightly push it back and forth and does the same thing, these noises are getting on my nerves.

arctic-k20
07-15-2004, 05:56 AM
i believe there is a tsb for that - at least for the rsx there is and i think they put a plastic nut on one of bolts inside the door - not 100% sure on the fix but i know i have read a tsb on that problem before !!

while were on the subject of noises, my window half way rolled down on the freeway makes a click sound. any one else have that problem? i rolled my windown donw half way and lightly push it back and forth and does the same thing, these noises are getting on my nerves.

02epsi
07-15-2004, 02:37 PM
Hey gang,

I've 2k miles on my EP, its a 02'. I was thinking about doing the suspension but this "noise" issue has got me shitn' in my pants. Dunno if I should now???

Anyway, has anyone ever spoke to King Motorsports about this? Since their EP runs low and ride on aftermarket struts also?? I'm sure they will have expert knowledge on this issue. So, if anyone has the "INs" with KMS please kindly post a reply so we can all understand what the hell is goin on???

pz

yellerep3
07-18-2004, 03:57 PM
ok i recently posted in another thread that I had recently dropped my si on Tein springs and there was no noise, but now I got the creek like crazy after a few miles. Guess after the springs sat properly it happened, anyway you guys think an energy suspension bushing kit would help this at all. i was thinking about doing this mod. To be honest the sound sounds so much like amotor mount, but i did the energy suspension motor mount upgrade and I think the mounts are good. But you guys think that the suspension bushing kit would help the creek.?

02epsi
07-19-2004, 03:51 PM
Hey,

anyone here works at honda as a tech??? maybe you can give us some "insides" as to what this noise is?? and what we can do about it???

If you have an EP thats mod-ed, that would be even better as you may have 1st hand experience with this noise as well.

Mine's barely broken in yet so there is no noise or problems yet....thx god!!!

but I had a 90' Si with 75K miles. Mod-ed out...no problems at all!!

pls let there be a real answer to this problem.

arctic-k20
07-19-2004, 03:57 PM
Just thought I would share that I just installed the Progress coilovers this past weekend and when i did that I also put in brand new upper mount bearings on both sides. I packed both bearings with grease as well. After everything was installed - no more pop/clunk/thud that I had with the oem setup.

yellerep3
07-19-2004, 04:57 PM
i think maybe in the next two weeks im going to try the energy suspension bushing kit and see if that stops the creek, i have a feeling it will, jus a gut feeling i guess, we'll see what happens.

arctic-k20
07-19-2004, 06:44 PM
are you talking about the lca bushing kit ?

serialdriller
05-29-2008, 09:26 PM
just curious.. 4 years later... what is the solution to this ? or is there no solution???

NovakSI
05-30-2008, 05:55 AM
Unfortunately some of the other rack threads were lost... there are a lot of potential solutions. My favorite one, which I never got to try, is replacing the eps unit with the standard hydraulic PS unit from an RSX. This would fix one issue, which is a lack of consistant lubrication on the rack. Since the ep rack is electric, it doesn't have the benefit of PS fluid flowing through all the time; it just relies on packed grease. Other solutions involve inverted tie rod ends... the latest solution is a tie rod bracket that repositions the rods at the rack - both these solutions aim to put less strain on the rods which should help the rack last longer (and improve handling, reduce bump-steer, etc.). If I still had my ep I would probably start over with a fresh eps rack and the repositioning bracket.

Rayme
07-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Unfortunately some of the other rack threads were lost... there are a lot of potential solutions. My favorite one, which I never got to try, is replacing the eps unit with the standard hydraulic PS unit from an RSX. This would fix one issue, which is a lack of consistant lubrication on the rack. Since the ep rack is electric, it doesn't have the benefit of PS fluid flowing through all the time; it just relies on packed grease. Other solutions involve inverted tie rod ends... the latest solution is a tie rod bracket that repositions the rods at the rack - both these solutions aim to put less strain on the rods which should help the rack last longer (and improve handling, reduce bump-steer, etc.). If I still had my ep I would probably start over with a fresh eps rack and the repositioning bracket.

geez where can you buy these brackets..?

I dont have that problem yet and would like it to stay this way

Unknownally
08-12-2008, 08:44 PM
This problem just recently started for me. Also, it squeeks when taking off. I think it's the clutch because it happens when I shift.

I'm sure it wasn't my aftermarket springs because I tested it out. I went on bumps and no squeeks. I even rocked my car back and fourth, lol.

SIMONKEY
08-14-2008, 11:47 AM
I had the creaking problem a couple of years ago. It started about 6 months after putting on the Mugen SS kit so I thought I was screwed. The the HFP kit came out and I was able to reason with Honda about the issue. Before that they were trying to tell me it was due to lowering the car. Since the HFP kit does approximately the same thing and is made by the same people, they couldn't really argue. After lot's of talking and showing them print-outs from this site, they agreed to replace my steering rack. I haven't had the problem since.

That being said, Honda will make good on this if you press the issue and show that unmodified cars are having the same problem.

salvatore
04-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Its the steering rack 100% check my DIY under how to section.