PDA

View Full Version : 15x6.5 or 15x7 ?

bryan
12-05-2003, 09:38 AM
If I went with a slightly-wider-than-stock wheel like 15x7 instead of a 6.5 width, would any advantages of the wider wheel be negated by the slight wheight addition? Thanks! Also, I searched but didn't have much luck.

Burgh
12-05-2003, 09:40 AM
Wider wheels are better for getting wider tires. Actually, even if a tire will fit over both, it'll probably work with the 7" wheel a bit better since your contact patch will be slightly increased. In general, the diameter of the wheel has more to do with weight than the width.

BlasTech
12-05-2003, 11:48 AM
lots of autocrossers have professed that 15x7 is way better than 15x6.5 with the same 205 width tire, even if they do weigh more.

bryan
12-05-2003, 12:57 PM
Thanks, I will be getting the wider wheels.

BlasTech
12-05-2003, 03:25 PM
So which ones are you going with? I have some ideas for my next wheels (15x7s) but I'd like to see more.

There are some custom-made Rota Slips in 15x7 with the Honda hub-centric bore available now for $115 each. They weigh 13.5lbs.

bryan
12-05-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by BlasTech
So which ones are you going with? I have some ideas for my next wheels (15x7s) but I'd like to see more.

There are some custom-made Rota Slips in 15x7 with the Honda hub-centric bore available now for $115 each. They weigh 13.5lbs.

I'm not exactly sure yet, I just know what size I want. Can you tell me what the Honda hub-centric bore is? I have never heard of that. Do I need to look for a wheel that has one? thanks!

BlasTech
12-06-2003, 11:21 AM
A honda hub-centric bore means the wheels have a hole in the center that fits perfectly around the hub, as if they were made by Honda.

Almost all aftermarket wheels come with a larger center bore, so that they can fit on other cars than hondas, and you need to use plastic or metal hub-centric rings to fill the gap.

This ensures that the wheel stays perfectly centered and takes some of the load off the wheel studs, but its a bit of a hassle to take the front ones off, as they usually get heat-bonded (melted) to the hub.

Imagine you have a flat, and you cant get the hub-centric ring off because you dont have the necessary screwdrivers-mallets-pliers you need to pry them off so your spare will go on.

I change my wheels back to stock on occasion for long trips, and it takes longer to get the hub-centric rings off than to do the rest of the change.

I think having the honda-sized hub is a good selling point for that reason. The only other place you'd get that is though a custom racing wheel made to your specs: http://www.circleracing.com/

ConeCrazy02
12-09-2003, 12:29 AM
Buy me some 7.5s just for autox next year. Wider wheels allows better turn in I believe. I think volks te37 and ssr c comp are the only wheels are offers 7.5.

chunky
12-09-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by BlasTech
A honda hub-centric bore means the wheels have a hole in the center that fits perfectly around the hub, as if they were made by Honda.

Almost all aftermarket wheels come with a larger center bore, so that they can fit on other cars than hondas, and you need to use plastic or metal hub-centric rings to fill the gap.

This ensures that the wheel stays perfectly centered and takes some of the load off the wheel studs, but its a bit of a hassle to take the front ones off, as they usually get heat-bonded (melted) to the hub.

Imagine you have a flat, and you cant get the hub-centric ring off because you dont have the necessary screwdrivers-mallets-pliers you need to pry them off so your spare will go on.

I change my wheels back to stock on occasion for long trips, and it takes longer to get the hub-centric rings off than to do the rest of the change.

I think having the honda-sized hub is a good selling point for that reason. The only other place you'd get that is though a custom racing wheel made to your specs: http://www.circleracing.com/

I have metal hub centering rings, they snap into the wheels and do not get stuck on the hub. The wheels & hub rings are made by OZ, so i'm guessing they thought of this beforehand.

Suk02Si
12-09-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by ConeCrazy02
Buy me some 7.5s just for autox next year. Wider wheels allows better turn in I believe. I think volks te37 and ssr c comp are the only wheels are offers 7.5.

I thought a wider wheel equalled sluggish turn in, but increased cornering grip, which equalled higher cornering speed.

:o

BlasTech
12-09-2003, 10:21 AM
A little toe and caster adjustment can make your turn-in uncomfortably aggressive if you want.

A thicker rear sway bar, and thinner front sway bar will help turn in too.