PDA

View Full Version : Stripped heat shield bolts--HELP!!!

master7
12-05-2003, 02:22 PM
Peace ...
Well when i put my engine mounts on i stripped the bolts on the heat shield- the two on the bottom i never got off... that sucked!!! I still was able to get the mounts on just made it more a pain in the ass. BUt i was wondering how in the hell am i suppose to get these stripped bolts out.

Soon i want to put a new header on and those bolts got to come out to get to the stock header...HELP PLEASE ...PLEASE!!

Black 02 SI
12-05-2003, 02:49 PM
go to sears hardware. they have these thigs that look like sockets that are designed to take striped bolts out, they work great. they are like $20.

furious
12-05-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Black 02 SI
go to sears hardware. they have these thigs that look like sockets that are designed to take striped bolts out, they work great. they are like $20.

yes use that tool along with 1st heating the bolt with a handtorch. any exhaust parts must be heated like mad in order to remove. you are lucky, the head could have just as easily snapped off:eek:

DarkHatch
12-05-2003, 04:47 PM
Either that or a pair of vise-grips

siver-SI
12-05-2003, 05:17 PM
Just get a resipricating saw and that will take them right off.

furious
12-05-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by siver-SI
Just get a resipricating saw and that will take them right off.

i think he is referring to a bolt threaded into the exhaust manifold and not a through bolt/nut assembly like those holding the cat/midpipe/muffler.

bobdobbs
12-05-2003, 05:28 PM
Ummmm, aren't those studs?

Vertigo
12-05-2003, 06:05 PM
Nope.. It has 4 bolts. 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom. I broke one of mine while taking it off to put my header on, they were very rusty. Guess i got more strength than i thought, snaped the bolt in two.

siver-SI
12-05-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by furious
i think he is referring to a bolt threaded into the exhaust manifold and not a through bolt/nut assembly like those holding the cat/midpipe/muffler.

My bad. Man those are a pain in the butt. I have not been under my car yet on a lift so I do not know the lay out very well but there are stud removers for the broken studs but I am not to sure of the room to get to them. I would soak them in a penetrating oil for a couple of days and then make sure you have a good set of sockets so you do not stip anything. If you do strip you can use a stud remover for the too for most cases.

oicw
12-06-2003, 02:01 AM
1. soak in penetrating oil
2. sears craftsman broken bolt sockets, they come in regular socket size and new shorter tight fit socket
3. map gas torch

after you get it off, use anti seize compound on the treads when you reassemble so you can minize this problem next time