PDA

View Full Version : Going to the car wash with CAI intake

03SiBlack
12-05-2003, 07:31 PM
i have a injen cai on my car and it hit me one day when i was going to take my car to the carwash. i remembered that theirs water going all over the place and my intake is right under the car and i know its really bad to get water sucked into there. So i just hand washed my car everyday but now its 20 degrees out everyday and im not going to be able to wash it with the hose anymore. Anyone know if its okay to goto a carwash with an intake??

anjapower
12-05-2003, 07:42 PM
yea it's fine, just make sure your engine is off.

ep3hatchattack
12-05-2003, 07:47 PM
Yeah, thats why if you drive thru a huge puddle, even if you have your car on, you are suppose to put your car in neutral before you hit it, as for a car wash it should be fine because it will be in neutral, or off, take care, dave

Zero Three Si
12-05-2003, 08:13 PM
The intake is only "sucking" air when you are pushing the gas pedal. To be on the safe side, just turn off the car until the wash is done.

BluePearl03Si
12-05-2003, 08:36 PM
Why would putting it in neutral be any differant than just pressing the clutch down and letting off the gas, the engine is still at idle.

SiKilla02
12-09-2003, 08:27 PM
The filter sits behind a splash guard if you haven't noticed. Even if the car is on or not in neutral, the filter has to be submerged in water for it to cause a problem. Unless you have removed the guard wich is dumb anyway because you lose HP.

silent killa 02

Peking
12-09-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by SiKilla02
The filter sits behind a splash guard if you haven't noticed. Even if the car is on or not in neutral, the filter has to be submerged in water for it to cause a problem. Unless you have removed the guard wich is dumb anyway because you lose HP.
silent killa 02

Putting her in neutral is just an extra step to keeping her safe. How would you lose HP from removing the guard? Removing the guard would pretty much mean that the filter would be exposed to so much more.

STP03BlueSI
12-10-2003, 06:22 AM
you take your car thru a Automatic Car wash? I would never take my car in one of those...but then again if it gets to 20 deg in FL and my car was trashed then yea maybe.

03SiBlack
12-10-2003, 08:15 AM
yea thats exactly how it is here my cars filthy from all the snow and salt they put down and its too cold to use the hose

BarracksSi
12-10-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by 03SiBlack
yea thats exactly how it is here my cars filthy from all the snow and salt they put down and its too cold to use the hose

Plus, it's really difficult to wash the underside without a lift or a Jiffy Lube-style trench in the driveway.

Although I only washed the car in the driveway outside my garage since last winter, I'll go though an automatic wash a few times again this winter to try to keep the underside cleaned off somewhat.

There's some things that I just can't do myself, and properly washing the undercarriage is one of them.

SilverEpInDc
12-11-2003, 08:58 AM
Yea in the Dc area I know with all the salt its hard to wash in the winter

Mugen Power
12-11-2003, 09:04 AM
Ah, and I was gonna post to see how many of you would put your car through the auto wash. I've hit snow and salt since I came up to upstate NY and my complex doesn't turn on the hoses since it's too cold...

Just for the sake of keeping the car clean and (most importantly) salt-free, I think I'll have to bring it to the car wash for the first time :(