PDA

View Full Version : Delay between 1st and 2nd...

sonic imperial
09-17-2002, 11:45 AM
How does everyone quickly change form 1st to 2nd smoothly without slowing the car down? My biggest delay when changing gears is between 1st and 2nd.

punkdork
09-17-2002, 12:13 PM
This car is really crunchy between 1st and 2nd. My friend who has a 91 said his was like that to. I just pound the bastard in. That's what my warranty is for. :)

Burgh
09-17-2002, 01:04 PM
We've also got a bit of a longer throw between gears than say the RSX-S that I drove. Now there's the best shifter I've driven, period. With the longer throw, it may be tough to keep the revs up. If you're a drag racer, a short shift kit (whenever they come out with one for our cars) might do it for you. I not new to stick, but definitely new to having a sporty car and all I can say is my revs drop down to 4k rpms when I got 1->2. I think that's pretty sad.

sonic imperial
09-17-2002, 01:12 PM
My revs drop low too and the delay is enough so that a person behind me in an automatic actually rides up to my rear bumper for second or two before I can pull away in 2nd. I hate that. I've tried quicker shifting but I just can't get it smooth enough that the car doesn't jerk some, so I just shift normally and hope the person behind me realizes I'm driving a stick.

punkdork
09-17-2002, 02:18 PM
Learn to rev match between shifts. Give the gas a slight tap to bring it back up.

JSIR
09-17-2002, 02:42 PM
make sure you rev it up enough before shifting. Dont let off the gas until you push in the clutch. When releasing the clutch apply a little gas pedal so the car doesn't slow down due to revs, and won't be as jerky.

punkdork
09-17-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by JSIR
make sure you rev it up enough before shifting. Dont let off the gas until you push in the clutch. When releasing the clutch apply a little gas pedal so the car doesn't slow down due to revs, and won't be as jerky.

= rev matching :D

chunky
09-17-2002, 06:37 PM
I had a problem at first. . . I'd end up grinding gears b/c i was shifting too fast =P.

the EP has about a 2000rpm falloff from 1st to 2nd, if you shift quickly like I do, it will grind at first.

What i've done is double clutch my shifts to help the synchros out for that upshift. I only pull it straight through 1-2 when I'm really racing - there is no grinding anymore really, but I still double clutch.

I've also changed my tranny fluid to mobil 1 synthetic gear lube, 75w-90

02blksi
09-17-2002, 06:41 PM
explain how you double clutch on an upshift?:confused:

02spOOnsi
09-17-2002, 06:43 PM
when shifting i say you "power shyft" this is when you shyt without takin your foot off the gas and if your quick enough you'll pop the clutch b4 you hit the rev limiter....i've done it s i know it's possible and a lot of mah boys use this method....

chunky
09-17-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by 02blksi
explain how you double clutch on an upshift?:confused:

clutch -> neutral -> release clutch -> clutch -> next gear

on a double clutch downshift, you'd blip the throttle between "release clutch" and "clutch"

it makes everything smoother, it's most apparent when you have bad synchros, but even on a new car, it helps prolong the life of the synchros as well as smooth out shifts between widely spaced ratios (like our 1-2 shift)

chunky
09-17-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by 02spOOnsi
when shifting i say you "power shyft" this is when you shyt without takin your foot off the gas and if your quick enough you'll pop the clutch b4 you hit the rev limiter....i've done it s i know it's possible and a lot of mah boys use this method....

power shifting on a stock clutch does nothing but destroy the clutch.

not to mention it's really bad for your synchros.

02spOOnsi
09-17-2002, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by chunky

power shifting on a stock clutch does nothing but destroy the clutch.

when stock goes bad get racing clutc...well dats wen they come out, or do they have em already for the new si's???

when double clutching doesn't that get a lil confusing and don't you lose a lot of time???

Brew Bros
09-17-2002, 06:58 PM
Hey, 02spOOnsi, sorry to get off the subject, but where in Jerzee are you??? I'm from North Jerzee.

02spOOnsi
09-17-2002, 07:10 PM
im from union county....if u kno union county den im from elizabeth...u?

02blksi
09-17-2002, 07:12 PM
"clutch -> neutral -> release clutch -> clutch -> next gear"

I dont get this, on the upshift. i still dont see how this method does anything unless the accelerator is depressed while doing one of these steps?? explain more, here is your scenario
you are in first gear and want to "double clutch" into second how exactly would you do this. thanks- joe

btw: i use rev matching on my downshifts like this
downshift gear while clutch in, blip throttle, clutch out ....... accelerate.

chunky
09-17-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by 02blksi
"clutch -> neutral -> release clutch -> clutch -> next gear"

I dont get this, on the upshift. i still dont see how this method does anything unless the accelerator is depressed while doing one of these steps?? explain more, here is your scenario
you are in first gear and want to "double clutch" into second how exactly would you do this. thanks- joe

btw: i use rev matching on my downshifts like this
downshift gear while clutch in, blip throttle, clutch out ....... accelerate.

i have a doc you might be interested in reading.

http://www.hondavision.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=249583#post249583

it's a bit long, and I don't want to have to redo the formatting to post it over here =\

but it explains what's happening inside your tranny when you shift using various methods.

as for double clutching taking more time - it can be done VERY quickly. I can still chirp the 1-2 upshift when double clutching :D - granted i can get the wheels to almost fully break loose on a normal 1-2 upshift. . . :D

02spOOnsi
09-17-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by chunky

as for double clutching taking more time - it can be done VERY quickly. I can still chirp the 1-2 upshift when double clutching :D - granted i can get the wheels to almost fully break loose on a normal 1-2 upshift. . . :D

i just find it hard how to believe how you can press the clutch two times, and have the spped and the rpms high enough chirp...but im not saying it's not possible i would juss get confuseddoin all dat while all i have to do is press the clutch down once and have mah rpms' as high as possible....

02blksi
09-18-2002, 06:36 AM
http://www.hondavision.com/showthre...9583#post249583

cant read this because im not a member of hondavision. can you just cut and paste here? thanks --joe