PDA

View Full Version : knock sensor malfunction

CivicSI2002
12-05-2003, 08:18 PM
I just received a check engine light that said "knock sensor malfunction..." Has anyone had any problems with detenonation in the SI with the greddy turbo kit. I've been hearing a pinging sound while using half to 3/4 throttle, and even when the engine is cold (the same amount when the engine is warm). I figured it was something banging against the heat shield which I have checked somewhat. I have a step colder NGK plugs, highest pump octane fuel, (cheap ebay) high flow cat, and mufflertech mid-pipe. I talked to Greddy and they sided with me on that it could be the heat shield noise or something in the engine bay, but now I'm really worried. Also, when the engine is running (idling) what should the boost gauge read. Thanks

87gn
12-05-2003, 08:27 PM
how much timen ya running? im not sure how the eps system is set up but us gn guys have KR, our computers retard the timing to compensate for knock. if its a similar deal with eps and your computers not retarding the timing your doing major damage to your engine, when you hear the pinging you might as well forget about it because more then likely you have messed something up.

ep3guy
12-05-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by CivicSI2002
Also, when the engine is running (idling) what should the boost gauge read. Thanks

Sorry I'm not sure about your first question and I do not want to give info if it is not 100% true.

The boost gauge should be in vac when idling.

87gn
12-05-2003, 08:54 PM
i missed the second question:o and ep3 guys right, it should be in vac.

im suspsious about my gn because of its idle, its got much more of a lope then all of my friends gns so i beleve that some where in its past 8 owners some one instaled a larger cam in there.

from time to time (when the cars cold or done doing its cool down) the large cam will deminish the vacume and the cars computer will rev the engine to make up for the diffrence. you should see peoples faces when im at a cruse night and standing infront of the car while my cars reving its own engine:D

ep_nezay
12-05-2003, 11:00 PM
First off, who installed your turbo?
The people that installed the turbo should of known what detonation sounds like. There is a difference from a rattle and detonation. Sounds like your car has been detonating and you shouldnt drive it.

Now, the knock sensor for our cars is VERY sensitive, so hopefully it came on just before any damage has occured.

Is the e-manage throwing any codes?

87gn
12-05-2003, 11:19 PM
Now, the knock sensor for our cars is VERY sensitive, so hopefully it came on just before any damage has occured.

what im afraid of is if the knock sensor "died" the computer would not even know that any damage was occuring.

go buy some racing gas, the higer the octane the better and drive it. if you still hear the pinging then you will probably be "ok" BUT if you run race gas and the pinging goes away your in a load of trouble, the damage has already been done.

ep_nezay
12-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Well, he said he hears noises only at 3/4 throttle. If there would of been damage, he would not be able to drive his car.
IMO, I think he is over boosting.

87gn
12-06-2003, 12:41 AM
If there would of been damage, he would not be able to drive his car.

just because there is damage dosent mean the engine wont run.
remember, even if you have a rod knock and LOW but atleast some oil pressure as long as you keep oil in it the engine will run. it wont last as long ofcourse and from a performance standpoint its already a paper weight but that dosent mean that it wont get ya from point a to point b for a short amount of time. have you ever been going down the road and herd a persons car in the lane next to you knocking and rattleing? just because its got bearing damage dosent mean it wont run.

in this case he could have blown a head gasket, the car could be drinking water among other things but as long as it dont get water in the oil, turn it in to a milk shake and lock the motor up the engine will still run.

btw. imo i dont see how he could be overboosting at 3/4 throttle

ep_nezay
12-06-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by 87gn

btw. imo i dont see how he could be overboosting at 3/4 throttle

I can hit full boost with my Greddy kit at half throttle.
When I first got my kit installed, I was detonating. Over boosting and no IC didnt help.
So, civicSI2000, make sure you have your restrictor plate is installed. Thats the most common mistake to over boost.

87gn
12-06-2003, 12:55 AM
gezzzz how small are your turbos? in the case of a really small turbo or some kinda restriction along the line i can understand but man thats hard to believe.

CivicSI2002
12-06-2003, 08:49 AM
Well, I installed the kit myself and yes I did install the restrictor plate. My e-manage isn't throwing any other codes other than the damn code 14 which I was told by Greddy that it was nothing to worry about. At first I was in doubt as to if the engine was actually detonating, because like I said it sounded more like something slapping the heat shield. I also suspected that it was a plastic washer that was stuck inside the hood from when I installed the washer lights (which have been removed) but the washer still remains. I also wrapped the first and second pipe from the turbo with exhaust wrap thinking this would keep the air temp down, am I right in believing this or could this be the cause. I'm not totally convinced that it is detonation because it happens, like I said, at around 1/2 to 3/4 throttle (around 3500 to 4500 rpms in 3rd, 4th, and sometimes 5th) but goes away at full throttle. I've gotten a couple too rich bank 1 cels but nothing else. Thanks

andy
12-06-2003, 10:17 AM
Full boost at partial throttle is typically a bad thing. Not enough
gas = high EGTs = possible detonation. How is boost controlled on
this kit - an electronic controller, manual, etc? The e-manage controls
it?

surfsi
12-07-2003, 06:55 AM
Try opening the hood with a friend and opening up the throttle and look for the ping, you can put something up to the valvecover and listen in but don't mistake the injectors for something else. Hopefully it's just your exaust manifold or some kind of piping, loose nut or something like that. Maybe you can take it to honda and see if they can tell you why the sensor is going off? Anywho the best of luck with that.