PDA

View Full Version : Got my MBRP exhaust today.

SmoothOperator
09-17-2002, 12:32 PM
Well it finally arrived today. It looks good and was packaged well. I drove to a few different muffler places hoping to get it installed, and I finally found one that wasn't busy.

The sound is REALLY deep and throaty. And it's much louder (but not overly loud) when you let your rpms fall, than when you hit the gas. It doesn't have that "bumble bee" raspy sound to it at all.
The quality looks good too. My only concern is that the tip is about a half inch from the bumper. So I hope I don't have problems with the bumper getting too hot and warping.

Now before you ask...I won't have any pictures for at least a couple weeks. But I'll get some as soon as possible!!!

Any questions? feel free to ask.

SubliminalSi
09-17-2002, 01:09 PM
how much?? give us some specs

SmoothOperator
09-17-2002, 01:20 PM
I payed $450 Canadian, plus $30 shipping.

It's a 2.25" catback exhaust, with the single 4.5" stubby tip.
I got the exhaust that a few of us ordered through the group-buy that DrPimp set up.
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=15798
that's the muffler it came with.

SubliminalSi
09-17-2002, 02:32 PM
damnit, i NEED an exhaust

JSIR
09-17-2002, 02:35 PM
How's the car drive ?, any difference felt ?. Damn good price for a cat back system, nice.

IceD out N CALI
09-17-2002, 03:48 PM
any noticeable power gains?

2k2civicSi
09-17-2002, 03:58 PM
man im still waiting for mine i saw that in the pic on drpimps that it was really close to the bumper im gona have a shop weld new hangers on it

ps how much was the install

66elwood99
09-17-2002, 04:06 PM
Did you address you concern about the tip to MBRP and if so what did they suggest? I have the same one coming , did you change your header or intake also?
Thanks

RacingCivicSi02
09-17-2002, 04:23 PM
Post pics when u get the chance plz.

SmoothOperator
09-17-2002, 05:02 PM
How's the car drive ?, any difference felt ?.

Yeah throttle response is a bit better. But I haven't noticed a huge difference. Probably because I haven't replaced my intake and header yet.

ps how much was the install

I found an auto shop close by that installed it for $30. Tax free even! woohoo!

Did you address you concern about the tip to MBRP

yeah I e-mailed them today. Hope to get a response tomorrow.

JSIR...clean out your mailbox it's full!! I want to know where you've been dynoing your car? I want to see the results after I get my CAI.

SmoothOperator
09-17-2002, 05:13 PM
I just got a reply from MBRP. I asked about the tip being close to the bumper. And, I forgot to mention...that instead of a resonator, they've placed another muffler in its place. I inquired about this also, and here was their response.....

"Hi Rob, if this concerns you please take a moment to bend the hangers located at the top of the muffler. If you bend these away from the muffler body you will drop the muffler tip away from the rear valance. It sounds like you have the system installed and are running the car, how do you like the system this far ?

With regards to your first e-mail, the reason we had to build the
larger resonator is because the car was just to obnoxious to drive without this unit in place.We tried the system with another style of resonator that we produce and we actually gained more power with the unit you have at this time.
The larger bodied resonator actually helps increase the exhaust flow, here's how.

Take a normal 3.5"outside diameter resonator with a 2.25" core going through the center, you get the flow of the 2.25" tubing plus any extra exhaust flow that enters into the larger chamber of the 3.5" outer shell. This is cool.One more note, this set up is sometimes to loud for the average user as there is limited volume inside the resonator to kill a few extra db's.

Take the resonator you have on the Honda system.We have that larger 5"diameter outer shell with the same inside core of 2.25". You get the same flow available from the 2.25"core as the first resonator yet you gain exhaust flow volume from the fact that we are also including the added volume of the larger dia outer shell. Another positive from this set up is the fact that the car will have a more user friendly exhaust note and will not "droan" you out of the car.We have done flow tests where we have taken a
3.5" tube core and have put this into a 6"dia muffler shell.This set up will out flow a piece of tube that has a ID of 4".
So just when you think that bigger is better it just may not be the
case. Again, let me know hat you think after you get a few miles, I look forward to hearing your input.

Thanks

Martin Barkey"

JSIR
09-17-2002, 06:36 PM
okay my mailbox is empty, go ahead and shoot me a message.

Yeah when I changed my exhaust and header I didn't feel a huge difference. I also drove a stock SiR with an AEM intake and didn't feel a huge difference. But adding all three parts seems to make a big difference judging by my butt dyno, hopefully a real dyno will confirm my suspicions.

2k2civicSi
09-17-2002, 06:47 PM
so smooth how does it sound at 80in 5th at 4k rpm is it gona get on my nerves on long trips that what im worried about

SmoothOperator
09-17-2002, 06:53 PM
so smooth how does it sound at 80in 5th at 4k rpm is it gona get on my nerves on long trips that what im worried about

Hard to tell at this point. As soon as I had it installed, I had to drive straight to work. So I really haven't had a chance to take it on the highway. But, it does get quieter at higher RPMs. I might take her for a rip after work. (If I'm not too tired and lazy), and I'll get back to you.

DrPimpSiR
09-18-2002, 01:32 PM
I've had mine on for three weeks and 1500 km, and I'll say that it quiets down alot once it's broken in. When I had the system off I also took the opportunity to spray a rubberized undercoating (something that I meant to do anyway,) and I noticed a considerable drop in interior noise overall.
The tip does sit 1/2" or so from my bumper as well and this has had no effect on the plastic etc. if you look at the tip you'll notice that there's actually two tips, and the outer one is cooler considerably than the inner.
I've got AEM and cat-back and I do notice more seat of the pants acceleration. No dyno though (there isn't one close to me,) but I'm sure that there is a gain.
I've cruised on the hwy for a 5 hour trip to my parents and the noise is OK, especially after it was broken-in.

AkronSi
09-18-2002, 01:46 PM
What sort of undercoating are you using Pimp Master? And what all did you spray?

SmoothOperator
09-18-2002, 02:00 PM
if you look at the tip you'll notice that there's actually two tips, and the outer one is cooler considerably than the inner.
That's what I figured. But after driving yesterday I felt the outer part of the tip and it was HOT as hell. I'm not in a huge rush to do it, but, once I get the chance I'm going to bend the arms a little. BTW...I still haven't had a good chance to take her for a drive. Work, sleep, work,sleep, etc etc

DrPimpSiR
09-18-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by AkronSi
What sort of undercoating are you using Pimp Master? And what all did you spray?
I bought two cans of undercoating from an auto parts store (Canadian Tire.) When the car was jacked up I sprayed the area above the exhaust, and all areas that weren't covered by the factory undercoating. I covered all seams and floorpans, being careful not to spray the brake, & fuel lines, parkbrake cables, brake hardware and exhaust. Also watch out so that you don't overspray onto the visible paint areas. Wear safety goggles and a mask so you don't get any in your eyes or breathe it in. It's also a good idea to cover the area you're spraying over bec the stuff drips initially.

SpeedRacer
09-18-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by SmoothOperator

That's what I figured. But after driving yesterday I felt the outer part of the tip and it was HOT as hell. I'm not in a huge rush to do it, but, once I get the chance I'm going to bend the arms a little. BTW...I still haven't had a good chance to take her for a drive. Work, sleep, work,sleep, etc etc

this is the good thing about having titanium not only is it light as hell it does not get hot i can go on a long hard drive in the canyons then stop feal my exhaust tip and it wont burn my hand at all it might be hot after a drive like that but not enough to burn you at all.

2k2civicSi
09-18-2002, 07:28 PM
I got mine!!! does any one know if you have to weld the mid pipe togather??? its in 2pieces and no flanges heres a pic its dark so i'll take more tomarrow
http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/506/6405/p/91199_2036696036873902849_v.JPG

SmoothOperator
09-18-2002, 07:42 PM
No you don't have to weld it. There should be a "brace" that goes around it with a bolt that you tighten. That should hold and seal it just fine.

2k2civicSi
09-18-2002, 07:46 PM
i didnt see any brace in the box ill go look harder

DrPimpSiR
09-18-2002, 08:03 PM
There should be a clamp included, to join the two pipes. If not call tomorrow and have them send one by UPS. If you do decide to have it welded, make sure that they use stainless wire in their welder.

2k2civicSi
09-18-2002, 08:14 PM
i found themi didnt even see the lil box with all the shit in it but thanks

SmoothOperator
09-18-2002, 08:25 PM
I'm liking mine more everytime I get in the car :D

DrPimpSiR
09-19-2002, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by SmoothOperator
I'm liking mine more everytime I get in the car :D
Ditto! It is a good system. Sorry more people didn't get in on the buy. Oh well...

02SilverSiHB
09-19-2002, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by DrPimpSiR

Ditto! It is a good system. Sorry more people didn't get in on the buy. Oh well...
we need some sound clips!

02SilverSiHB
09-19-2002, 07:25 AM
I just wish it didn't have such a huge tip like that.

hacim
09-19-2002, 07:46 AM
I dont care for that huge tip. I feel that being sudle is the key to suping a car up. In my opinion the less it looks like it has been worked on the better. Rims I am cool with and droping it a little but not a huge cannon on the back. Sorry, I am not tryin to clown just givin my honest opinion.

SpacemanSpiff
09-19-2002, 11:07 AM
Well, mine arrived, my wife went home to take the dog out and called me to tell me it was there. (what, honey, I'm sure I mentioned it to you, you must have forgotten..... :-)

2k2civicSi
09-19-2002, 11:42 AM
hellp!!!!! my exhaust smokes pretty bad i just put it on and its coming fromt he tip and it smells really bad

MPgrunt81
09-19-2002, 12:19 PM
2k2civicS1,

Don't worry. When I installed my DC Sports TCS on my 01 ex coupe it smoked in the beggining and smelled terrible. This is probably from dust and crap that was in the piping burning up. It will go away soon.

MPgrunt81
09-19-2002, 12:21 PM
Oh and I know I may be beating a dead horse but can someone please dyno this thing (preferably as the only mod) and tell us how it works out and maybe post a dyno chart. Please and thanks.

SmoothOperator
09-19-2002, 12:25 PM
Well so far the exhaust is the ONLY engine mod I've made. But I don't plan on dynoing it until I get my CAI on. I'm beginning to notice a slight increase in HP. Throttle response has definatley improved though.

2k2civicSi
09-19-2002, 02:35 PM
im doing a dyno next wend ill post the slip i have aem intake also it stoped smoking and sounds great low not ricey at all thanks for the help mpgrunt

2k2civicSi
09-19-2002, 02:40 PM
http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/506/6405/p/91824_8148625978244896190_v.JPG [IMG]

SpacemanSpiff
09-19-2002, 05:48 PM
Is there anything special I need to remember for the install? Do the bolts need to be torqued a certain amount or anything like that?

SmoothOperator
09-19-2002, 06:05 PM
I think ours looks way better than the thermal. Just MO. When the muffler's actually on the car, it doesn't look so big.

2k2civicSi
09-19-2002, 06:19 PM
just make sure there really tight i use a rachit
the install we smooth as butter so easy ive never done that kind of install before it was sooooo easy

02SilverSiHB
09-19-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by SpacemanSpiff
Is there anything special I need to remember for the install? Do the bolts need to be torqued a certain amount or anything like that?
yeah, like someone already said, make sure they are tight, but I think 45ftlbs should be enough.

SpeedRacer
09-19-2002, 06:50 PM
i think the titanium veilside it the shit.

SmoothOperator
09-19-2002, 07:04 PM
i think the titanium veilside is shit.
yeah me too. hehehehehe

SpacemanSpiff
09-19-2002, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

yeah, like someone already said, make sure they are tight, but I think 45ftlbs should be enough.

Thanks!

1fastminivan
09-19-2002, 09:39 PM
does that come at a slight angle? do you have a straight shot from the rear pic? I love the way it looks.

SmoothOperator
09-19-2002, 10:27 PM
no it isn't at an angle...it's perfectly horizontal to the ground too. That's the one thing I wished it did though...angle a little. I like that look.

MPgrunt81
09-20-2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by 2k2civicSi
im doing a dyno next wend ill post the slip i have aem intake also it stoped smoking and sounds great low not ricey at all thanks for the help mpgrunt

Not a poblem and thanks in advance for posting a dyno. I plan on getting the AEM CAI also so I'm interested in seeing how the two together work. Good luck.

SpacemanSpiff
09-21-2002, 02:09 PM
I'm having some trouble with my install. I got the stock exhaust off fine. But I can't get the MBRP pipe to fit over the 3 bolts on the Catalytic Converter. I'm gonna try to grind the bolt holes on the MBRP out a little to see if I can make it fit. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks

DrPimpSiR
09-21-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by SpacemanSpiff
I'm having some trouble with my install. I got the stock exhaust off fine. But I can't get the MBRP pipe to fit over the 3 bolts on the Catalytic Converter. I'm gonna try to grind the bolt holes on the MBRP out a little to see if I can make it fit. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks
Serious?!?
What do you mean when you say it won't fit? I saw mine being installed at MBRP, and it just bolted right up. Did you assemble the whole pipe before installing? If so, try just the front piece, then the mid/rear with the resonator.
Send pics of your problem. It should fit without grinding.

2k2civicSi
09-21-2002, 02:41 PM
dude dont grind any thing
you need yo try some other ways cuz mine went on just fine if you fuck it up your screwd

SpacemanSpiff
09-21-2002, 02:53 PM
I've tried with just the front piece. I can't get the three bolts from the cat in the holes on the pipe. The spacing is just slightly off.
I'm pretty dissapointed right now.

2k2civicSi
09-21-2002, 02:56 PM
call mbrp man
tell them youll send that one back and get a new one not the whole exhaust just the front sec of the mid pipe if that one wont fit your doing somthing wrong
mine went on in 30min no prob never installed and exhaust before so easy

SpacemanSpiff
09-21-2002, 03:00 PM
ummm, there aren't but so many ways to do it, so I don't see how I am doing it wrong. Either the bolts fit or they don't. In my case they dont. Really don't feel like putting the stock exhaust back on and waiting 3 weeks to get the part back from Canada. I've emailed them but haven't received a response. It is Saturday so I don't really expect to hear from them until Monday.

2k2civicSi
09-21-2002, 04:12 PM
no i didnt mean you where doing it wrong i meant that if you got a new one and it didnt fit there is something wrong sorry i know what it sounded like but i didnt mean it like that

SpacemanSpiff
09-21-2002, 06:16 PM
No problem, It could just be that my bolts are different than everyone elses. Even in modern manufacturing, there are gonna be slight variances. It's just a slight difference. Tomorrow I'll try widening the bolt holes with my ryobi. I'll make a template from the stock piece and try to make the MBRP one match.

2k2civicSi
09-21-2002, 06:20 PM
good luck keep us posted

SpacemanSpiff
09-22-2002, 10:59 AM
Whoohoo, exhaust is installed. I went out last night and bought a craftsman rotary tool and a small grinding/sharpening wheel. I would take a little out of each bolt-hole and then try to fit it on the cat. After a couple of tries, it fit. So I've got everything bolted on and ready to go. Gonna go out for a test drive this afternoon.

66elwood99
09-24-2002, 05:56 PM
Had my buddy install at his muffler shop, NO CHARGE, can't beat that!
He was very impressed with how well the system fit. He stated that most custom units do not fit well and they must tinker around with it. Sounds great, not too loud! :)

Now got to get the intake on :(

2k2civicSi
09-24-2002, 06:00 PM
did any one get the 2tiped one i wonder how it sounds

SpeedRacer
09-24-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by 66elwood99
Had my buddy install at his muffler shop, NO CHARGE, can't beat that!
He was very impressed with how well the system fit. He stated that most custom units do not fit well and they must tinker around with it. Sounds great, not too loud! :)

Now got to get the intake on :(

dont you pull people over for having exhaust?

66elwood99
09-25-2002, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by SpeedRacer

dont you pull people over for having exhaust?

Never, Only if it is falling off and could cause injuries to someone travelling behind them. :D

sammysir
09-25-2002, 07:27 AM
lets see some pics boys........ and video's with sound would be cool.

cheers