PDA

View Full Version : Suspension planning

02NJHondaep3
12-06-2003, 08:54 AM
Its nice everyone is getting boosted or faster, but I'm planning on building the suspension up completely first. I need some help in finding out if I'm missing parts or theres something else that can help improve my ep's suspension (and yours too). I dont really need brands unless a part is only made by a certain company.Any info,comments etc. would be helpful thanks.

Coilovers
F and R Upper Strut bars
F and R Lower Strut bars
F and R Sway Bar
Lower control Arms
R lower tie arms
Suspension bushings
Stronger Wheel Studs
Adjustable Shocks
X-brace
5 Lug conversion
Bigger Brakes
Braided Steel Brake lines
Wheel spacers

Quicksilver
12-06-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by 02nighthawksivi
Its nice everyone is getting boosted or faster, but I'm planning on building the suspension up completely first. I need some help in finding out if I'm missing parts or theres something else that can help improve my ep's suspension (and yours too). I dont really need brands unless a part is only made by a certain company.Any info,comments etc. would be helpful thanks.

Coilovers
F and R Upper Strut bars
F and R Lower Strut bars
F and R Sway Bar
Lower control Arms
R lower tie arms
Suspension bushings
Stronger Wheel Studs
Adjustable Shocks
X-brace
5 Lug conversion
Bigger Brakes
Braided Steel Brake lines
Wheel spacers

You forgot the #1 biggest improvement: Performance tires

A few things I would include and/or modify from your list:
Competition End Links
Coilovers with adjustable height and spring preload, including shock/struts with 3-way adjustability
In-car Dampner Adjusters (a la Tein EDFC)
Variety of Different Rated Springs (depending upon the event/application)
Adjustable Rear Sway
Lighter Wheels
Weight Reduction (see other threads for what to lose)
Camber Kits/Plates
Roll Cage
High Performance Brake Fluid
High Performance Brake Pads
Upgraded Brake Calipers (not included with some manufacturer's "Big Brake" Kits)

Things that are not really needed on the list:
F and R Lower Strut Bars (I think you meant F and R Lower Tie Bars)
Wheels Spacers: These would just increase your scrub radius. Unlike what Pontiac used to say, wide is not always better. You'd only really need these if you're going wide-body which kind of defeats the "performance suspension" setup in my opinion.

02NJHondaep3
12-06-2003, 09:49 PM
thats cause i'm not a big believer in rims and tires. thanks a lot though you helped me greatly. Anyone else want to comment contribute?

bobdobbs
12-06-2003, 10:48 PM
Performance tires and lightweight rims are the single most important upgrade from stock. Everything improves: acceleration, braking, handling. Upper and lower strut bars are insignificant in comparison.

raiyo
12-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Quicksilver
Things that are not really needed on the list:
F and R Lower Strut Bars (I think you meant F and R Lower Tie Bars)
Wheels Spacers: These would just increase your scrub radius. Unlike what Pontiac used to say, wide is not always better. You'd only really need these if you're going wide-body which kind of defeats the "performance suspension" setup in my opinion.

I would get a rear lower tie bar to reinforce that area from ripping anything. it does nothing in proformance, but it's just an added insurance for costy repairs.

I gotta agree on tires, very important.

Beef up the rear even more, get two strut bars. One that mounts on the strut bolts and another 6 inchs higher. ex. neuspeed and spoon.

trk
12-07-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by bobdobbs
Performance tires and lightweight rims are the single most important upgrade from stock. Everything improves: acceleration, braking, handling. Upper and lower strut bars are insignificant in comparison.

id have to disagree just a little bit ---

recently, I had no sways or shocks ... just springs and tires/rims...

then last week or two I put my stock wheels and tires on and switched to mugen suspension with progress sways and my stock tires/rims...

the latter is better... and BOY CAN I FEEL that sway bar...

All I am saying, is its all relative. I realize when I go back to better rims/tires I will get even more improvements.

bobdobbs
12-07-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by trk
recently, I had no sways or shocks ... just springs and tires/rims.
What was your tire/rim setup?

trk
12-07-2003, 01:17 PM
What was your tire/rim setup?

16" rota c8's with 225/50/16 Falken ZIEX 512's.

bobdobbs
12-07-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by trk
16" rota c8's with 225/50/16 Falken ZIEX 512's.
And you're saying your braking and acceration are BETTER with them OEM rims and tires? I find that hard to believe.

trk
12-07-2003, 03:42 PM
And you're saying your braking and acceration are BETTER with them OEM rims and tires? I find that hard to believe.

After suspension and sways -- ABSOLUTELY.

bobdobbs
12-07-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by trk
After suspension and sways -- ABSOLUTELY.
I'd like to see some numbers: Rim/tire weight of both setups and slalom times.

trk
12-07-2003, 04:21 PM
I'd like to see some numbers: Rim/tire weight of both setups and slalom times.

dont have the weights... never bothered

I have autoX times... but the tracks are always different and besides this saturday will be the first event with the mugs on ...

why would I lie... its just how the car feels... seriously...

keep in mind, my old ziex's had become VERY bald, that plays into performance hugely. But getting rid of most understeer, bumpsteer and body roll via the stiffer mugen suspension and sway bars in general has helped enormously more than just rims/wheels ever did alone.

Basically, all I am saying is that mugen+sways+stock wheels equals a better riding and performing vehicle than falkens+rotas+eibachs ... period.

bobdobbs
12-07-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by trk
Basically, all I am saying is that mugen+sways+stock wheels equals a better riding and performing vehicle than falkens+rotas+eibachs ... period.
That's doesn't contradict my original point: I said better rubber and lighter rims is more important than strut bars. "Lighter" means effectively lighter, which means polar moment of inertia. Your Rotas/Falkens are probably heavier than your OEM wheels because (1) they're larger diameter and (2) the tires are much wider. I'd suspect if you had 15x7 Superleggeras with 205 tires, you'd see significant improvements compared to your OEM rims/tires. Like I said, I'd like to see some numbers.

trk
12-07-2003, 05:04 PM
That's doesn't contradict my original point: I said better rubber and lighter rims is more important than strut bars. "Lighter" means effectively lighter, which means polar moment of inertia. Your Rotas/Falkens are probably heavier than your OEM wheels because (1) they're larger diameter and (2) the tires are much wider. I'd suspect if you had 15x7 Superleggeras with 205 tires, you'd see significant improvements compared to your OEM rims/tires. Like I said, I'd like to see some numbers.

I agree with everything you just said. Absolutely agree.

... I followed the disagreement in my first post with a "little bit" which meant: ... in general its a true statement but the suspension and sways can on a stock car make just as much if not more improvements... but what you said still holds true, tires and rims and VERY important.

bobdobbs
12-07-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by trk
I agree with everything you just said. Absolutely agree.

I forgot to mention rolling resistence, but as long as we "mostly" agree... ;)

trk
12-07-2003, 05:40 PM
I forgot to mention rolling resistence, but as long as we "mostly" agree... ;)

We do.

;)

02NJHondaep3
12-07-2003, 08:31 PM
The reason i neglect rims is because i'm trying to keep the sleeper look.

02NJHondaep3
03-16-2004, 02:53 PM
Bump for suspension parts info.

Dr. Design
03-17-2004, 12:04 AM
Hello,
Well if you are looking for a good X-brace we can think of one. Chassis bracing is one of the most overlooked items, for the street, when building a purpose built suspension. Compare that to the race industry and it is one of the first items they address when building track cars. Ofcourse all the other goodies like wheels, springs, shocks, struts, sway-bars, etc. are all good. Just make sure you address all that chassis flex before you hit the road/tracks.
Thank you,

Originally posted by 02NJHondaep3
Bump for suspension parts info.