PDA

View Full Version : Diff between universal muffler and brand name one???

jojo208
12-07-2003, 01:06 AM
Hi guys,

Is there any difference between BRAND NAME muffler than universal one like we can cheap on ebay? I still don't understand? I was thinking buying an universal ebay muffler and do a customed midpipe. Please help guys..........

idrive
12-07-2003, 02:38 AM
i think the general consensus is that flow is flow...
but one thing ive noticed with generic mufflers is that their ability to dampen sound (the main reason why we have a muffler in the first place) is poor...

silver
12-07-2003, 08:18 AM
as long as it is a straight through design without anything to impede the flow it will work just the same as a brand name one. now as for comsetic purposes you are paying more for the name brand to keep the shine and shape after many days on the road. and yeah the sound dampening will probably not be as good.

if you're looking to just buy the muffler, get an ac autotechnic muffler like the revolution series. good quality, good price.

jojo208
12-07-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by silver
as long as it is a straight through design without anything to impede the flow it will work just the same as a brand name one. now as for comsetic purposes you are paying more for the name brand to keep the shine and shape after many days on the road. and yeah the sound dampening will probably not be as good.

if you're looking to just buy the muffler, get an ac autotechnic muffler like the revolution series. good quality, good price.

Thanks guys for the info....... and where do you get this muffler you tell me about?

also one thing....... the muffler on ep3 is like this if i'm not mistaken (from the back of the car): the muffler - resonator - and to the engine.

HOw do I design this for the best possible flow:

1. Custom muffler - original resonator - custom midpipe to engine
2. custom muffler - custom resonator - custom midpipe

I just want to do it the best for my money. I'd like the 2nd choice for doing autox only. SO i'd like to have a bolt on system where it's interchangeable anytime i want to.

What do you think???

jojo208
12-07-2003, 11:34 AM
does it matter if i use resonator or not? will i use power for not using that?

Peking
12-07-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by jojo208
does it matter if i use resonator or not? will i use power for not using that?

Yes it does, when you go to get your new exhaust (new mid-pipe and muffler), not having the resonator will make it sound better, flow better, and believe it or not will help with gas milege. My second mod was a 2.25" midpipe that was connected to a Skunk2 MegaPower Muffler. Go with a name brand, I have heard many generic mufflers (alot of ricers around here). You get what you paid for, go with a brand name. Check out inlinefour.com, and when you find one you like call showstoppersusa to see if they have it.

The new midpipe will go from your cat straight back to the muffler. You could get the midpipe from somewhere (ebay mybe?), or you could go to a custom muffler shop. Just make sure they now what they are doing, and make sure there is enough room from the tip of the muffler away from the bumper. As well, enough room over the rear sway. Hope this helps some, anymore questions post up or try a search.

VividDreams
12-09-2003, 06:21 PM
the thing about universal mufflers is that they never FIT right, youll have to do all kinds of custom work to get it to work. i read somewhere, and have noticed it to be pretty true,

universal=modification

wheather it be modifying the part, or how it mounts, universal parts are made to go on most cars, so they never fit right, thats why a lot of the ricers "exhausts" look like shit, they want the Look, and sound, but dont want/need/cant afford the price and quality

and can anyone say warranty? or customer service?

Peking
12-09-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by VividDreams
the thing about universal mufflers is that they never FIT right, youll have to do all kinds of custom work to get it to work. i read somewhere, and have noticed it to be pretty true,
universal=modification
wheather it be modifying the part, or how it mounts, universal parts are made to go on most cars, so they never fit right, thats why a lot of the ricers "exhausts" look like shit, they want the Look, and sound, but dont want/need/cant afford the price and quality
and can anyone say warranty? or customer service?

I sorta see where you are going with that. The fit (done right) will look as good if not better than some cat-back exhausts out there. Such universal parts like intakes or wings, etc. are different when it comes to a universal exhaust. You need to find a place that knows how to bend piping well enough to make a good custom exhaust. Here is a pic of my old custom 2.25" attached to a Skunk2 MegaPower Muffler...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid73/p3639df4b407c9564d82fb41de97e1e16/fb7190f8.jpg

When it comes to warranty, when you replace that part it loses its warranty (this has been covered many times already), anyway what do you mean by "customer service".

VividDreams
12-10-2003, 05:38 PM
customer service meaning if theres a problem you can tell them about it and they will take care of it, it isnt one of my biggest points in my reply, but it is still a factor. meaning, if you get say a Greddy system, if you have a problem, you know from hearing from other people, that Greddy has pretty good(im assuming) customer service. usually if a company grows to be their size, its not cause they treat you like dirt. finding that in a local joe schmo outfit, while being ENTIRELY POSSIBLE, will prove to be a little more difficult. plus with a big company, every system is made the same, so you can assume that it will fit properly, where most joe schmos, cant get it to be as close as a company with a jig that will make repeatable, well-fitting systems.

i too like to support the little guy, but, im also one that is picky about little imperfections

Peking
12-10-2003, 08:45 PM
Oh, I see. Point taken, but compared to something attached to more (or effects more)important parts (such as Hondata, turbos, superchargers, etc). Then I would be more worried about product problems and service.

SiR_d1
12-10-2003, 10:01 PM
like with ever brand name, you're just paying for the name (most of the time)

silver
12-11-2003, 03:01 AM
i don't see how you can state that universal mufflers have fitment problems, it's just the muffler. take a generic N1 style muffler. pretty much all the companies will be the same length, height, and width. The muffler is just the end of it, it fits however the muffler shop attachs it, if you're having a fitment problem that is the installers fault. If you are referring to a generic cat back, well that is different but you said universal and there are no universal cat backs due to the special route of the piping. so i'm kinda lost on your reasoning.

for a custom exhaust you want mandrel bent piping as opposed to crush bent. this will keep minimal restrictions at the bends.

as for the warranty, i don't see what you're saying. you are referring to the muffler, well if you take off the stock muffler, then why how would you have a problem with a muffler that isn't on the car? the warranty wouldn't come into question because it isn't even being used. and if you put the stock muffler back on and it breaks the warranty will still be valid unless they can prove that you first took off the muffler, and second that you removing it caused it to break.

and for customer service, see nissan regarding your greddy comparison. big companies do not equal good customer service.

sir_d1 said it best