PDA

View Full Version : simple tire size question?

DTR
12-07-2003, 12:17 PM
i have some 17's sitting in my garage, i got some Yokohama paradas on it, i think theyre 205/45 size, all i wanted to know was , whats the largerst size tire i can put on them, because i was looking at the tires an they look like theyre too "thin" for my rims, thats only cus i have Kuhmos in the back and the look "thicker" than the Yoko's, any one know what the biggest up size is that i can do, thats still safe from any rubbing when im lowered??

RedLight_Si
12-07-2003, 12:38 PM
Assuming your wheels are 17 x 7's,Honda was able to fit 225's on the HFP package with an inch of drop. If you go 225/45/17,which Honda did,I believe your speedometer will off by almost 3%(If you own a 2002-03). If you go 225/40/17,the difference will be minimal,but the side wall will be thinner. If it were me I would keep to Honda specs.

Migs
12-07-2003, 03:48 PM
Go with the 225-45-17 for several reasons including the ones above. Availibility and pricing will be better, so will selection. The only company that makes the 225-40-17 is Nitto NT555. Those tires arent too hot either.

All later generation Honda's need a big tire to fill up the wheel well gap.

VividDreams
12-09-2003, 06:58 PM
just a side note, i think that honda would probably reset your speedo reading to match the new tires cause you could slap them with a speeding ticket if they didnt, may be wrong, but i would think they would do that(not hard)

Vertigo
12-10-2003, 01:15 AM
If the tire you have are 205/45 then i would leave them alone. That is a close to stock tire size that you can get in 17 inch. Meaning your speedo will not be off at all. 225/45 look like 4x4 tires IMO.

oldschoolimport
12-10-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by VividDreams
just a side note, i think that honda would probably reset your speedo reading to match the new tires cause you could slap them with a speeding ticket if they didnt, may be wrong, but i would think they would do that(not hard) what you do after you take possession is of your own doings. honda would laugh if you changed wheel/tire sizes and tried to blame them for a speeding ticket. in their opinion, you should have left the car as it was upon delivery.

anyhow, they probably could "correct" the speedo calibration for a small fee. on most of the newer cars this is done thru the ecu. imo, if the tire outside diameter is close enough, it should be negligible and therefore not worth worrying about.

Vivid-Cruz
12-10-2003, 05:18 PM
i dont know.. my honda dealer was trying to sell me my car with 18's off the lot.. so i would say it would be there responsibility to fix it in that case.. but who knows!

VividDreams
12-10-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by oldschoolimport
what you do after you take possession is of your own doings. honda would laugh if you changed wheel/tire sizes and tried to blame them for a speeding ticket. in their opinion, you should have left the car as it was upon delivery.

anyhow, they probably could "correct" the speedo calibration for a small fee. on most of the newer cars this is done thru the ecu. imo, if the tire outside diameter is close enough, it should be negligible and therefore not worth worrying about.

what i meant was, if you bought the Honda FP package, they would have to correct it. im not that much of a freaking idiot that i would take a speeding ticket to honda saying its their fault the speedo was reading wrong after i put 18s on a crx or something.

and yes, any shop that has an OBDII diognostic tool or some kind of transmission tools could correct it for you, and im pretty damn sure theyd charge you a small fee

oldschoolimport
12-10-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by VividDreams
im not that much of a freaking idiot glad to hear it, coz there are a few around here:D

Graywolf
01-29-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by oldschoolimport
glad to hear it, coz there are a few around here:D

That'd be me. #1 Super Idiot!!!

Spazhead
01-29-2004, 01:51 PM
goto discount tire web site and choose our car and it will give you all the alternate tire sizes that will fit our car without changing the speedo reading too much.

http://www.discounttire.com/