PDA

View Full Version : Questions..

si666
12-07-2003, 08:37 PM
I got stuck in snow today. I realized sometimes my driver front wheel spins and sometimes my passenger front wheel spins. Why is this and how do I know which front wheel the EP decides to give power to?

thanks

Peking
12-07-2003, 08:44 PM
Like alot of cars we have a open diff. Think it is the left wheel that moves more than the right. If you got the cash you could get a limited slip. For more info try a search.

HgSi
12-08-2003, 12:01 PM
The EP doesn't decide where the power will go, it's a simple mechanical system. Power will go to the wheel with the least resistance. In other words, the opposite of what a Subaru does: from the wheel that grips to the wheel that slips. Some people make fun of cars with open diffs and call them "one-wheel drive." If you're stuck in the snow or mud, it's quite a disadvantage, because not only is it one-wheel drive, it's worst-wheel drive. The least suited wheel will always be the one spinning. But don't feel too bad... most cars are like this. :)

si666
12-08-2003, 11:01 PM
Thanks guys, now I understand..

K20A3Si
12-09-2003, 09:27 AM
yes...its an open diff:)

VividDreams
12-09-2003, 04:33 PM
with the recent snowfall, i was contemplating getting either the quaife or RSX-R LSD the other day, but i dont have the cash right now, so i wont worry aobut it, besides ive never needed it before, if i do ever need it, then oh well, guess im S.O.L.

blueiedgod
12-10-2003, 11:51 AM
for those of you that don't know, you can lock the differential by applying brakes.

pedzola
12-10-2003, 11:56 AM
Hmmm... so brake and gas at the same time? If you hold them lightly will it lock the diff or do you have to press them pretty hard? I dunno about ruining front brakes for sake of trying to get out of the snow, also your rear wheels would also be locked so it would provide more resistance... would this really be an advantage? :confused:

BarracksSi
12-10-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by blueiedgod
for those of you that don't know, you can lock the differential by applying brakes.

Explain?

blueiedgod
12-10-2003, 03:58 PM
Ok, here is the situation. You are sitting in the snow and your right tire is spinning out of control and the left one is just sitting there. Please remember that you have to be really good with the clutch. Ok, so you have released the clutch and the right tire is spinning, use your left foot to press on the brakes lightly. Don't worry about the rears locking up, on most cars the proportioning valve is set so that 60-75% of braking power goes to the front. Once the brakes provide enough resistance to the right tire, both will turn. Quickly let go of the pedal. You have to have finesse, if you put too much pressure, you will undoubtley stall out or damage your clutch.
This worked for me in the 99 coupe I had. Have not had to use it in the EP, yet.

BarracksSi
12-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Hmmm, interesting. I'll have to try it someplace slick before the season is out.